AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-22, 06:30   Link #61
Westlo
Lets be reality

I have no idea why people here are hype for White Fox doing an adaption of action anime with their low production values. It's not like their only decentish recent show in regards to production values, in Maou sama has anywhere near the amount of action this will have. So unless for some reason this show is given a massive budget.... seriously White Fox been living off that Steins;Gate goodwill for a long time...
Old 2014-01-22, 07:18   Link #62
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

White Fox has the advantage of having a rather light production load compared to most studios due to having at most two series per year (they had just gone past their one project a year approach with Super Sonico and Gochuumon), and I think they can handle stuff decently at least.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-01-22, 08:42   Link #63
Jetzero Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I have no idea why people here are hype for White Fox doing an adaption of action anime with their low production values. It's not like their only decentish recent show in regards to production values, in Maou sama has anywhere near the amount of action this will have. So unless for some reason this show is given a massive budget.... seriously White Fox been living off that Steins;Gate goodwill for a long time...
Jorumgand looked pretty good and that had about as much action as this series does. So long as Toho gives it an actual budget it should be fine
Old 2014-01-22, 09:34   Link #64
NeutralZero

since the anime ver is right around the farthest corner
aside from the common adaptation fiasco, fillers and butchering...
will it we see a titan/claimore and the likes level of brutality?
or have it heavily censored on those areas
Old 2014-01-22, 10:14   Link #65
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

White fox? EVERYBODY GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN
Old 2014-01-22, 11:22   Link #66
RollingPenguin

Quote:
Jorumgand looked pretty good and that had about as much action as this series does. So long as Toho gives it an actual budget it should be fine
Well seeing how how mangaka mentioned that adaptation is receiving full support from Toho,I suspect that it will have good budget.
Also,since this is White Fox is it possible that Hiroshi Hamasaki will direct this anime?He already has experience with bloody,violent and gruesome manga adaptation,plus he worked with White Fox on Steins;Gate.God,I am already over-thinking this.
Old 2014-01-22, 11:43   Link #67
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
I think it will also depend on the staff involved.
White Fox has some skilled in-house animators so it could turn out to be great if the right staff is involved (though Atsushi Itagaki may be currently busy). The best action scenes of Katanagatari & Maou-sama were handled by these animators and White Fox could also call back Naoto Hosoda for some help as they did for Sonico. My wish is Hosoda as director but I don't think it'll happen
Well let's wait for more info...
Old 2014-01-22, 13:35   Link #68
MCAL

Quote:
Well Katanagatari and Hataraku Maou-sama were no slouches sales wise and popularity wise either. And Jormungand was pretty good action wise.

As for me, I am hyped!
Old 2014-01-22, 14:47   Link #69
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Except that very few studios are capable of providing action of the highest budget. Even then, good directing can save it, which White Fox has delivered on almost all their projects since Steins;Gate. You could also look at how David Productions handled Jojo pretty brilliantly despite its low budget. Low budget does not mean anything by itself, the creative staff on the project are much more important.

I don't care if you have a high budget if you have incompetent people using it like Kyoani on Kyoukai no Kanata. As long as the budget is anywhere close to what it was on Maou-Sama, I think they should be fine.
Old 2014-01-22, 14:51   Link #70
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
I want wakamoto for the prime minister!!
Not enough manly for Wakamoto.
Old 2014-01-22, 15:08   Link #71
Excorsism

White Fox is great. Do you guys not remember that terrible preview they did for Katanagatari, only to be disappointed because it never happened? Man that was both cruel and awesome.
Old 2014-01-22, 16:22   Link #72
Mentar
Banned

White Fox is great.

Want me to say something really controversial? I hope that they do NOT get a big budget. Why? Because this would only lead to the overemphasis of the wrong aspect of the show. I do NOT want big battle gorefests - the ugly meatgrinder is what I want to see the least. Anything forcing White Fox to tone this aspect down is most welcome with me.

White Fox has proven time and time again that they manage to capture the story essence of shows. And for Akame Ga Kill, it's not the "Attack on Titan"-like butchery, in my most humble opinion. The fewer the better.
Old 2014-01-22, 18:36   Link #73
Tenzen12

I don't want to get it too gore either, but I don't think that's realy metter budgets, it's not like guts are realy that expensive comodity afterall.

In other hand fluently animated battles (and not just that) would be definitely nice.
Old 2014-01-22, 21:13   Link #74
OverSeer
Inactive Member

Hell, i am going to ask. Do we have any specifics on when the anime supposed to come out or any kind of info like that?
Old 2014-01-22, 23:03   Link #75
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Except that very few studios are capable of providing action of the highest budget. Even then, good directing can save it, which White Fox has delivered on almost all their projects since Steins;Gate. You could also look at how David Productions handled Jojo pretty brilliantly despite its low budget. Low budget does not mean anything by itself, the creative staff on the project are much more important.

I don't care if you have a high budget if you have incompetent people using it like Kyoani on Kyoukai no Kanata. As long as the budget is anywhere close to what it was on Maou-Sama, I think they should be fine.
Budget has very little to do with how a show actually looks. It has more to do with the people working on the show and the production schedule. Shingeki no Kyojin probably had an insane budget yet it had tons of production errors and looked poor quite a few times because the production schedule was so behind and such a mess. Some of Kyoukai no Kanata's episodes, and KyoAni episodes in general, only had half a dozen people working on it. David Production made JoJo good through solid directing but also had a lot of poor art at times.

The directing itself wasn't poor in KnK but the source material and Jukki Hanada were what sunk that project. KyoAni's production values were the only thing of note of that show.

White Fox has a really mixed TV record. Katanagatari was an OVA first off so they got a lot more time compared to their TV series. Steins;Gate wasn't a great looking show but the directing was enough to cover it. On the other hand, Maou was very well directed and very good visually. Jormungand was a mess that's main redeeming value was the source material itself being damn good enough to cover the botched anime adaptation. The gun fights in Jormungand were awful to say the least. So the question becomes who is working on Akame at White Fox and what their schedule is? Akame is a much more action series than Maou which was closer to SOL than anything else.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:19   Link #76
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
The directing itself wasn't poor in KnK but the source material and Jukki Hanada were what sunk that project. KyoAni's production values were the only thing of note of that show.
I disagree. The direction in KnK was horrible. The fights were awkwardly staged and the use of slow motion was badly timed (Granted I stopped at Episode 7). But let's stop there,this isn't a Kyo-Ani thread.

Quote:
White Fox has a really mixed TV record. Katanagatari was an OVA first off so they got a lot more time compared to their TV series. Steins;Gate wasn't a great looking show but the directing was enough to cover it. On the other hand, Maou was very well directed and very good visually. Jormungand was a mess that's main redeeming value was the source material itself being damn good enough to cover the botched anime adaptation. The gun fights in Jormungand were awful to say the least. So the question becomes who is working on Akame at White Fox and what their schedule is? Akame is a much more action series than Maou which was closer to SOL than anything else.
Can't say much for Katanagatari since I haven't seen it. But Steins Gate looked fine. And like you said the direction was great, which is what we are getting at. I agree with what you said about Maou-sama. But your comments on Jormungand confuse me. I don't see how it was a botched adaption considering it was a near panel for panel adaption. And the only thing negative I could really say about the gun fights were that they were played unrealistically, but it was unrealistic in the manga too, so the fault doesn't really lie with White Fox. So yeah, White Fox inspires more confidence than most studios right now.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:29   Link #77
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I disagree. The direction in KnK was horrible. The fights were awkwardly staged and the use of slow motion was badly timed. But let's stop there,this isn't a Kyo-Ani thread.
Either way, KyoAni has one of the best production schedules out of all the anime studios and that's a big reason as to why their shows look topnotch. It's not just a 'throw money at it' type of problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Can't say much for Katanagatari since I haven't seen it. But Steins Gate looked fine. And like you said the direction was great, which is what we are getting at. I agree with what you said about Maou-sama. But your comments on Jormungand confuse me. I don't see how it was a botched adaption considering it was a near panel for panel adaption. And the only thing negative I could really say about the gun fights were that they were played unrealistically, but it was unrealistic in the manga too, so the fault doesn't really lie with White Fox. So yeah, White Fox inspires more confidence than most studios right now.
The gunfights in Jormungand were a mess. There's a difference between unrealistic and being boring. There weren't any tension in them, they weren't framed properly, and they weren't animated even remotely well. It's a stark difference compared to something like Black Lagoon. The word fine is probably the best you could use to describe Steins;Gate. It wasn't ever that bad but the lighting and coloring were uh, debatable to say the least. The animation was also really stiff for the most part. White Fox skirted by on the strength of the source material for both Jormungand and Steins;Gate.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:46   Link #78
tsunade666

Nice. Its white fox but they already had 2 shows scheduled form what I read here. Will it be for fall season? or next year? I hope for a 2 cour at least.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:48   Link #79
MCAL

Quote:
The gunfights in Jormungand were a mess. There's a difference between unrealistic and being boring. There weren't any tension in them, they weren't framed properly, and they weren't animated even remotely well. It's a stark difference compared to something like Black Lagoon. The word fine is probably the best you could use to describe Steins;Gate. It wasn't ever that bad but the lighting and coloring were uh, debatable to say the least. The animation was also really stiff for the most part. White Fox skirted by on the strength of the source material for both Jormungand and Steins;Gate.
Well since "boring" is a subjective word I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. (For example I thought the fight scenes in KnK were boring). As for Steins; Gate, I feel like we are not on the same page. The point that's trying to be made here is "Will White Fox as a studio direct and execute Akame ga Kill well enough, budget notwithstanding?" And no matter how it looked Steins; Gate was directed and executed damn well. Which is the point I am making. Let's just say Jormungand was bad, still three out of four is still a good track record.
Old 2014-01-23, 13:29   Link #80
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Budget has very little to do with how a show actually looks.
That's basically what I was saying. White Fox usually has good direction and can make use of their limited budget. Maou-sama proved this. I thought Jormungand worked well enough with its budget, but it definitely could have used more. Also Katanagatari was not an OVA as far as I am aware, it did air on TV. The difference was that they released a single episode a month, which was much longer.

I referenced Kyoukai no Kanata as an example of bad direction messing up action scenes despite the budget pumped into it.
Closed Thread