Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-21, 21:29   Link #241
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
What part of she can't say what she thinks out load you don't get.
Sapphire asked a question of her seniors in the band. It's not like first years are literally not allowed to discuss band matters with their seniors. Reina could have chosen to do so as well. She didn't. She's hiding her feelings.

Quote:
The one time Midori commented on it she ended up apologizing for her obvious transgression.
Only because Goto got upset. And it should be noted that Goto was corrected for getting upset.

Quote:
Reina is not in a position where she can speak up,
She could speak up if she wanted to. Just like Sapphire asked a question.

Quote:
Because your argument doesn't have any grounds as far as I can see.
My argument has plenty of ground. Reina is hiding her feelings. Her playing Dvorak could be taken as a message, or her classmates may fail to pick out any greater significance in it. It's not as surefire a method of communicating her displeasure as simply speaking up would be. And her playing Dvorak could be a form of venting, to nobody in particular, just like the scream that followed it shortly thereafter.
Old 2015-04-21, 21:31   Link #242
Kazu-kun

Let's just say we have a different understanding of the character and move on.
Old 2015-04-21, 21:40   Link #243
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

So will Taki turn this into Whiplash the Anime?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-04-21, 21:52   Link #244
novalysis

Whiplash in the Japanese context.... this is going to be utterly brutal, and I can expect alot of people trying to make sense of what's going on, due to the very different cultural context.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 21:54   Link #245
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
She's definitely hiding her true feelings. She's upset, but she's not showing that to anybody, at least not directly.
Reina is wearing a mask if you look at her from a Westerner's perspective, which I think is what RRR (unconciously) doing here

To me she isn't wearing a mask or anything, hiding your true feelings =/= wearing a mask. And while we are at it, Reina isn't exactly hiding her feelings, she just doesn't want to speak up and isn't the type who likes to gossip (like Midori and co.). The one who hides her feelings the best in this show is the Vice Prez, not Reina. In fact I find Reina very straight forward and honest about what she feels, if she doesn't like it she would do something about it, unlike other people just admittedly suck it up (yeah I'm talking about the trio here).
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 22:01   Link #246
Kazu-kun

That's my take too. Reina went and did what she could in her own way, and that inspired Kumiko and her friends, and others who were listening, to go practice no matter what. Kumiko and the others might have been more vocal (if only among themselves) but they didn't do anything to change the situation.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:25   Link #247
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
Reina is wearing a mask if you look at her from a Westerner's perspective, which I think is what RRR (unconciously) doing here
So what's wearing a mask from an Asian perspective? What's the difference?

Can you give me an example of what you would consider wearing a mask?

Quote:
And while we are at it, Reina isn't exactly hiding her feelings,
Reina is hiding her feelings. She's hiding her displeasure. Other characters are in fact clear in expressing their feelings verbally, often including displeasure.

Quote:
she just doesn't want to speak up and isn't the type who likes to gossip (like Midori and co.).
... Which means she's hiding her feelings. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad that she's doing this. You and Kazu-kun seem to think I'm insulting her character. I'm not. There can be good reasons for a person to keep her feelings to herself.

But in any event, Reina is hiding her feelings. Do you think I'm suggesting she's a coward, or something like that? I don't think she's a coward. She might be skeptical of her band-mates and think they wouldn't listen anyway, and she might be right if that's what she's feeling. It might be the right call for her to keep her feelings to herself.

Quote:
The one who hides her feelings the best in this show is the Vice Prez, not Reina. In fact I find Reina very straight forward and honest about what she feels,
To herself, maybe. Not to others.

If you want to argue that Reina is more pro-active about things... Sure, that might be true.

But being pro-active about something and being open to others about your feelings are two entirely different things.

A clear-cut example of this is Madoka Magica's Akemi Homura.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:33   Link #248
Esclair

So much delicious band drama for this show Also, how is their club so well funded when they suck so much? There's probably $100,000+ of instruments in the band if the club owns all of their instruments.

Reina is not wearing a mask. She just doesn't express her emotions. It has nothing to do with western vs eastern society either. Many introverts behave exactly like her.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 22:41   Link #249
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Reina is not wearing a mask.
So what would you call wearing a mask?

Keeping intense emotions bottled up, about a group effort like a band - Keeping those bottled up from your fellow group members - That's wearing a mask, in my view.

In my view, Reina is wearing a mask.

One way to tell if a person is wearing a mask - If when they do express themselves honestly, it shocks people. Much like how Reina shocked Kumiko in the first scene of Episode 1.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:44   Link #250
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
She just doesn't express her emotions.
Well, she did express her emotions. She just didn't do it verbally.

Quote:
One way to tell if a person is wearing a mask - If when they do express themselves, it shocks people. Much like how Reina shocked Kumiko in the first scene of Episode 1.
Kumiko was surprised that someone cared about the nationals enough to cry over it. It was surprising because no one else in the club did. Everyone else was happy enough they got dud gold.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:46   Link #251
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Well, she did express her emotions. She just didn't do it verbally.
She didn't express her emotions to anybody in particular. Esclair is right about that.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:46   Link #252
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Episode 3

Asuka's being awesome as usual while Glasses Guy completely told them off in the most nonchalant way possible. It's disappointing Kumiko and Reina seemed to just let it go and seem content with just carrying on as usual, though there's a bit of truth to a piece that just stops with no finale. That said, the episode itself is all over the place, switching perspectives as frequently as an amateur switches mouthpieces. Does this show want to focus on one section or the entire band? Is it trying to be sentimental when the shots suggest greater drama or naturalistic when things are stated matter of factly? This episode just makes me go what, and if this goes on I'll be going ugh.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 22:49   Link #253
Kazu-kun

Quote:
She didn't express her emotions to anybody in particular.
This situation doesn't concern just one person in particular. Her message was for all the club.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:55   Link #254
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
TLDR: If this is reality, this club is more or less screwed, and in a death spiral.
What the teacher should do is either completely kill the club and publicly shame the seniors or create an A team and B team.

Let the A team try seriously and the B team goof off.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 22:56   Link #255
Kazu-kun

Well, this is a club, not a class. It's run by the students, not the teacher. The teacher is just an advisor.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:56   Link #256
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Kumiko was surprised that someone cared about the nationals enough to cry over it.
Which means that Reina had never revealed to Kumiko (and likely her other band-mates of the time) just how much the Nationals meant to her. Which means she was hiding her feelings from them, at least to some degree.

I don't think this is an insignificant character element.

Many anime characters are much more open than this. The Saki anime is a good clear-cut example of characters and groups that tend to be very open with each other about what they want to achieve.

Quote:
This situation doesn't concern just one person in particular. Her message was for all the club.
That's an interpretation. You might be right, but not necessarily so. Even if you are right, it's a more indirect way of sending a message than others would be.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:57   Link #257
Esclair

Quote:
So what would you call wearing a mask?

Keeping intense emotions bottled up, about a group effort like a band - Keeping those bottled up from your fellow group members - That's wearing a mask, in my view.

In my view, Reina is wearing a mask.

One way to tell if a person is wearing a mask - If when they do express themselves, it surprises people. Much like how Reina surprised Kumiko in the first scene of Episode 1.
People being who they are is not wearing a mask. That's like me saying people who express their emotions are acting. For many people sharing their emotions is natural, but for introverts not sharing their emotions is natural. She's not trying to pretend to be 'strong' or anything by not sharing, she's just dealing with her emotions the way she naturally deals with them.

Think of it this way. For most people expressing their emotions is a way for them to deal with it. For introverts, they tend to deal with it on their own by thinking through it. However, people who share their emotions still have outbursts when their normal methods of dealing isn't enough for the situation. It just seems less strange because they normally emote everything anyways.

In this case, Reina is far more invested in going to nationals, so of course her disappointment when they fail is going to be far more intense than the other characters who aren't as invested.

Her not expressing her concern over nationals to her band mates is a completely different issue. That's just her being anti-social and having poor people skills.
Old 2015-04-21, 22:59   Link #258
Jarmel

Quote:
Well, this is a club, not a class. It's run by the students, not the teacher. The teacher is just an advisor.
He could probably go to the principal and explain.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 23:00   Link #259
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Which means that Reina had never revealed to Kumiko (and likely her other band-mates of the time) just how much the Nationals meant to her. Which means she was hiding her feelings from them, at least to some degree.
No, it just means they weren't close. Kumiko herself said they weren't friends. They must have had the same degree of interaction they have now, which is very minimal interaction.

Quote:
Her "message" might have just been her venting. Heck, it might have just been her playing an instrument to try to take her mind off the things that had been frustrating her.
That's unlikely. She was playing where and when she could be heard, and with a very particular piece too.
Old 2015-04-21, 23:17   Link #260
Esclair

What a great shop:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2015-04-22 at 09:05. Reason: Please use either the [images] tag or thumbnails (that imgur provides) for large images.

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra