AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-08-09, 20:53   Link #101
Psyco Diver

Welp I see the start of a revenge plot by Kaya, you know for "unjustly" destroying her home and choosing Miyo over her. I 'm sure Miyo's dad will take the brunt of the incident, considering it was his wife and daughter along with the loss of his estate he will probably become the scape goat I imagine
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-09, 22:46   Link #102
Frontier

I do wonder now if Miyo's dad is going to make them all apologize to Miyo because they need the money from Kiyoka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
With that good stuff out of the way, I have to say the whole supernatural concepts, as well as the hierarchy of families not being fully explained(at least not yet) makes things a bit confusing to me. The Kudo household seems to be very powerful, but I can't tell if they are being looked down upon or are they revered for their strength. Also, it seems a bit much the main commander of the supernatural force can just cause such a commotion(albeit granted due to circumstance) and not have political ramifications. Especially if both the Taishushi and Saimori family are prominent members of the supernatural community, which I would assume they are given their housing(though even this is difficult to tell as we don't really get too many scenes of the city or people's housing within it). Does Kiyoka just get to do what he wants, with no backlash? Do the other families have that same privilege? It feels like there's this large interesting world, but most of the events happen in the households or the supernatural force base. Sure there were a few moments of outside events going on(date into the city, shopping w/Yurie), but it hardly paints the picture of what kind of world this really is. Not that I'm really complaining mind you, as I am enjoying the story. Its just that I'd like to know how the world works a little more so that the significance of events, esp major ones, are properly defined in regards to the scope they will have in the story.
My understanding is the Kudo family is prestigious but basically an unknown outside of Kiyoka's military pedigree, so there's a lot unknown about them beyond the fact that they're wealthy and have great power. But we haven't dived that deep into Kiyoka or his family beyond Miyo marrying him.
Old 2023-08-09, 23:55   Link #103
scififan

Kouji chooses to stay by Kaya's side after all drama. He admits liking Miyo, but he stays with Kaya because Miyo would be sad if Kaya is left alone. At least, it is his convoluted reasoning. It is not going to make Kaya happy. His choice not to help Miyo when she was abused has another convoluted reasoning. His reasoning to become Kaya's financee so Miyo receives better treatment. His only moment of sanity is when he finds out his father instigates Miyo's suffering, so Miyo will become his father's daughter-in-law someday. However, Miyo's father sends her off to Kiyoka for not wanting to see her anymore. Kouji at least informs Kiyoka about Miyo's whereabout. So, Kiyoka saves Miyo from the "torture chamber". Burn baby burn. Kouji's father becomes another clown.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-10, 09:33   Link #104
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Its just that I'd like to know how the world works a little more so that the significance of events, esp major ones, are properly defined in regards to the scope they will have in the story.
Spoiler for Worldbuilding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We have yet to see the fallout. I'm at the very least hoping the Saimoris will lose their standing and end up as peasants.
A small hint from the novel, which didn't quite make it into the anime:

Spoiler for Saimori finances:
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-10, 18:22   Link #105
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
How much of this comes out to the public will be interesting to see
Historically, Japanese houses have been quick to burn with their use of wood and paper. My guess is the public won't see it as all that unusual.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-10, 18:55   Link #106
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
I do wonder now if Miyo's dad is going to make them all apologize to Miyo because they need the money from Kiyoka.
He's going to have to seriously hope that offer is still on the table after this...Considering kidnapping and nearly strangling Miyo to death is about as far from an apology as you can get .

Probably is since getting that vile stepmother and Kaya apologizing would be way too delicious to pass up .
Old 2023-08-11, 00:23   Link #107
Alchemist007
*Author

Not nearly enough vengeance against those bitches. Wish there was a bit more logic to certain actions and not just emotional writing; not explaining what the amulet was for properly to Miyo, leaving the guy he was fighting conscious the first time, just casually walking through the estate and with no haste, barely spoke a few words to Miyo's sister and nothing at all to the step mother. Her family is a bunch of clowns.
Old 2023-08-11, 06:24   Link #108
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
He's going to have to seriously hope that offer is still on the table after this...Considering kidnapping and nearly strangling Miyo to death is about as far from an apology as you can get .

Probably is since getting that vile stepmother and Kaya apologizing would be way too delicious to pass up .
That offer is most definitely not on the table anymore. I think Kiyoka would rather have Miyo never see their faces again than have her see them apologize. Like I said back then, they wouldn't mean it anyway.

I almost feel bad for the dad because he had zero clue what was going on. Almost, because he's still a major dick who treated his eldest daughter like trash.
Old 2023-08-11, 11:28   Link #109
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That offer is most definitely not on the table anymore. I think Kiyoka would rather have Miyo never see their faces again than have her see them apologize. Like I said back then, they wouldn't mean it anyway.

I almost feel bad for the dad because he had zero clue what was going on. Almost, because he's still a major dick who treated his eldest daughter like trash.
I guess you could say he reaped what he sowed from his dealings with Tatsuishi and giving his wife and Kaya too much free reign.
Old 2023-08-14, 09:35   Link #110
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Caught up with the series. My first impression was that it was kinda cartoonish despite the realisitic setting as a result of the heavy abuse the protagonist suffers like a Disney princess to the point her sister is quite a villain. Then there was the guy's father who even had a moustache and smoked while smiling about kidnapping Miyo.

Still, at second glance I have been enjoying the series for its "healing" touch on the lead that goes gradually as well as her relationship with the other lead. I never really understood why the guy has such horrible reputation with the girls considering he doesn't really get the chance to abuse Miyo like her entire family and instead already takes her shopping in the third episode and gets her a present.

The production values are amazing. I don't if the super powers make everybody look like Revenge of the Sith since when magic is used it works amazingly in terms of visual. The house that is burned looked awesome

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2023-08-14 at 09:56.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-14, 10:17   Link #111
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I never really understood why the guy has such horrible reputation with the girls considering he doesn't really get the chance to abuse Miyo like her entire family and instead already takes her shopping in the third episode and gets her a present.
I believe that all the previous women were like kaya and wanted the pretty face and money behind him and run away after the first glare. It's not hard to see through women like that and miyo with her past was used to people look at her like that and that picked his interest since she was too obedient, in the end he was a easy guy to please.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-14, 18:24   Link #112
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I believe that all the previous women were like kaya and wanted the pretty face and money behind him and run away after the first glare. It's not hard to see through women like that and miyo with her past was used to people look at her like that and that picked his interest since she was too obedient, in the end he was a easy guy to please.
Let's not forget he accused her of wanting to poison him when she made food for him. It's learning about her past and Yurie vouching for her that got him to soften up.
Old 2023-08-14, 19:01   Link #113
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post

I never really understood why the guy has such horrible reputation with the girls considering he doesn't really get the chance to abuse Miyo like her entire family and instead already takes her shopping in the third episode and gets her a present.
That was one of the many preposterous plot elements that made absolutely no sense and annoyed the hell out of me.

It does indeed look great - Kinema Citrus is truly one of the top dogs out there in terms of production values. But the writing just proved be too big a barrier for me to overcome. And if there's a worse character (and performance) this year than Kaya, it doesn't immediately come to mind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-14, 23:47   Link #114
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was one of the many preposterous plot elements that made absolutely no sense and annoyed the hell out of me.

It does indeed look great - Kinema Citrus is truly one of the top dogs out there in terms of production values. But the writing just proved be too big a barrier for me to overcome. And if there's a worse character (and performance) this year than Kaya, it doesn't immediately come to mind.
I mean, she's an insufferable witch, I don't think Ayaneru could've nailed that any better .
Old 2023-08-15, 00:23   Link #115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I mean, she's an insufferable witch, I don't think Ayaneru could've nailed that any better .
Well, Ueda Reina's performance is awful too, but it's fair to ask if they're just delivering what they're being directed to deliver.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-15, 09:39   Link #116
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, Ueda Reina's performance is awful too, but it's fair to ask if they're just delivering what they're being directed to deliver.
Wow, I can't agree with that. The understated nature and subtlety of her performance here and how she depicts the gradual growth of Miyo's character has been phenomenal voice acting in my opinion.
Old 2023-08-15, 09:55   Link #117
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Episode 6...was garbage...

1. Why on earth would Kaya and her mother be so damn stupid to let Miyo be taken to their own house...That's the #1 place on the list to look! Find some abandoned place in the middle of nowhere, an underground place. This absurdity makes what happened with enabling the kidnapping in 5 to be tame in comparison...

2. Tatsuishi...just happens to burn the Saimonji house with one dumb attack...after getting owned. Use anything but fire given the location...and if you're getting owned that hard, you think a sneak attack is going to work?

3. Is there anyone that isn't one dimensional aside from the main duo? Seriously, is there anyone that isn't one dimensional...

4. This payoff was utterly squandered. It was cheapened by all the absurdity. It was damn brief and probably a premise for more petty revenge scheming.

5. Is this going to turn into a kidnapping version of monster of the week or something...*yawn*

This was the most sedated, sugar-coated pill I've encountered in a very long time. You finally take a windup then barely blow something tamer than a zephyr. This was a betrayal.

I'm done. I'm sure people will still watch it compared to the rest of this season because it's an easily digestible, relative safe and non-offensive panacea. I am not wasting one second longer on such shallow nonsense.
Old 2023-08-15, 10:39   Link #118
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Episode 6...was garbage...

1. Why on earth would Kaya and her mother be so damn stupid to let Miyo be taken to their own house...That's the #1 place on the list to look! Find some abandoned place in the middle of nowhere, an underground place. This absurdity makes what happened with enabling the kidnapping in 5 to be tame in comparison...
I can believe, from what we've seen of them so far, that Kaya and her mothers' arrogance and sheer disdain for Miyo would make them go along with this. The only person who would probably have objected is the father but he was kept completely in the dark about it.
Quote:
2. Tatsuishi...just happens to burn the Saimonji house with one dumb attack...after getting owned. Use anything but fire given the location...and if you're getting owned that hard, you think a sneak attack is going to work?
I think he was in a bling rage at being overpowered, especially from someone he underestimated and didn't expect to be as much of a challenge.
Quote:
3. Is there anyone that isn't one dimensional aside from the main duo? Seriously, is there anyone that isn't one dimensional...
I wouldn't say they're complex but I feel like they've at least set up some of why her family ended up the way they did and why they treated her so harshly, and Koji's grown a lot since the first episode.
Quote:
4. This payoff was utterly squandered. It was cheapened by all the absurdity. It was damn brief and probably a premise for more petty revenge scheming.
I feel like the understated nature played to the characters and the atmosphere of the show, especially since this isn't an explicit revenge anime.
Quote:
5. Is this going to turn into a kidnapping version of monster of the week or something...*yawn*
It's actually kind of funny to think this might turn into "how will Miyo get kidnapped next" .

Although it also sounds like they might just outright try to kill the both of them.
Old 2023-08-15, 16:21   Link #119
Ghostfriendly

Mr Darcy seems cold, but actually he's quite nice? An abused woman needs marriage to give her a woman's happiness? There could be a great deal of superficially more positive icing spread on such an indigestible cake, but I guess we'll never know.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-16, 03:55   Link #120
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Seriously, they bring in Youko Hikasa's character in next episode as Kiyoka's sister?

Too late. Would have liked to seen her in action, but I will never, ever forgive this show for episode 6.