AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-06, 17:59   Link #81
hyl
reading #hikaributts

You do know that some animes like penguin drum stand no chance at all with the mashing of categories?
By reducing the actual genres, you are creating very vague categories with very polarizing results.

{A1} Action/Fantasy/Sci-Fi
In this category I have no idea if i should vote for madoka because it's fantasy or Steins;Gate because it's sci fi. Comparing those different genres is like comparing fruit with dairy products.

Also if there is dislike for the amount of categories, why is there a distinction between best story for adaptions or orginal works. Best story alone is more than sufficient. It looks even more redundant than all those seperated categories to me.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 18:08   Link #82
Kirarakim

I think it should just be

Best Drama
Best Comedy
Best Speculative Fiction

And I would get rid of romance but have a category for best romantic couple.
Old 2012-02-06, 18:11   Link #83
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You do know that some animes like penguin drum stand no chance at all with the mashing of categories?
By reducing the actual genres, you are creating very vague categories with very polarizing results.

{A1} Action/Fantasy/Sci-Fi
In thos category I have no idea if i should vote for madoka because it's fantasy or Steins;Gate because it's sci fi. Comparing those different genres is like comparing fruit with dairy products.
I think I see what Sorrow-Kun and Reck are going for here. There's a lot of anime shows that mix these three elements together. Strict Sci-Fi with no Fantasy, and strict Fantasy with no Sci-Fi, aren't terribly common. And most Fantasy/Sci-Fi shows tend to have some action in them (even Steins;Gate had some fights in it).

My own view is that genres, and how they are used, is ever-evolving in anime. Awards like this one probably need to similarly evolve regularly to keep up with that.

Like I argued before in this thread, the days of Tolkien-style Fantasy is pretty much over in anime. It was a prominent anime genre in the 90s (especially the mid-90s), but not so much any more. This is the side-effect of the incredible modern domination of Japan/High School settings. Almost every modern anime has either Japan, or a high school, or both, as a primary or reoccurring setting. So having a category just for "Fantasy" is perhaps questionable given what the term tends to make a lot of people think of.

Pure sci-fi isn't that common either. Steins;Gate is the exception, and not the rule, there.

Looking at the current genre categories, it honestly makes me think that it was wrote up for 90s anime. It would have fit perfectly back then. Not so much now though.
Old 2012-02-06, 18:23   Link #84
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think I see what Sorrow-Kun and Reck are going for here. There's a lot of anime shows that mix these three elements together. Strict Sci-Fi with no Fantasy, and strict Fantasy with no Sci-Fi, aren't terribly common. And most Fantasy/Sci-Fi shows tend to have some action in them (even Steins;Gate had some fights in it).
Sci-fi and fantasy are not genres that mix too well. In fact the reason for seperating these 2 genres is because of their distinction for being scientific or magical.
Steins;Gate had no fantasy elements in it. Madoka strictly did not have sci-fi in it, because time traveling is not a theme soley for sci-fi, but for other genres like fantasy as well.
Those action scenes in steins;gate were hardly worth mentioning.

Quote:
My own view is that genres, and how they are used, is ever-evolving in anime. Awards like this one probably need to similarly evolve regularly to keep up with that.
While animes can have multiple genres in it, they still specializes in 3 or so genres at most.

Quote:
Like I argued before in this thread, the days of Tolkien-style Fantasy is pretty much over in anime. It was a prominent anime genre in the 90s (especially the mid-90s), but not so much any more. This is the side-effect of the incredible modern domination of Japan/High School settings. Almost every modern anime has either Japan, or a high school, or both, as a primary or reoccurring setting. So having a category just for "Fantasy" is perhaps questionable given what the term tends to make a lot of people think of.
High school setting is not a genre, but like you said it yourself a setting. You can use a location like a highschool for different genres, but when you start adding magic in a medium it already becomes either a supernatural or a fantasy.

Quote:
Pure sci-fi isn't that common either. Steins;Gate is the exception, and not the rule, there.
Steins:Gate was not a pure sci-fi. It's has a strong mystery and dramatic/tragedic elements to move the sci-fi. In fact, there would have been no sci-fi without the mystery.

Quote:
Looking at the current genre categories, it honestly makes me think that it was wrote up for 90s anime. It would have fit perfectly back then. Not so much now though.
The current genre distinction seems to the the general most used genres. Regardless if movies have changed over the several decade, you can still easily distinguish if it's sci-fi, horror, thriller, action, romance or a comedy. I still think it's the same for animes, because the movie industry has in my opinion made bigger changes in the last century than the anime industry.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-02-06 at 18:44.
Old 2012-02-06, 18:24   Link #85
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I am happy and disappoint with results , I am glad Madoka got what it did, though I would have liked Homura to beat Kurisu(while I like Kurisu, Homura is one of my favorite characters ever), though I suppose I can settle with Kyouko winning supporting. (I am in favor of keeping supporting characters, not removing it).

And as much I enjoyed Carnival Phantasm, I don't think putting Movie and OVAs together was the best idea still, nor did I want to see it beat Colorful or Redline.

Also Mawaru Penguindrum I was hoping would at least win Drama/Tragedy, but I underestimated AnoHana's popularity it seems, so bit sad to see it win nothing.

I am fine with most of the things winning except:
<rant>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
It was a weak year for comedy-centred shows.
I have to utterly disagree, I would rank at least 10 other shows with a large element comedy as more funny than Nichijou overall in the past year...
Spoiler for some examples:

Nichijou simply won from the split vote caused by the tie in nomination round because there were so many good choices this year for comedy.
And my negative opinion of the series is because of how dull a chain of middle episodes became before it became funny again, and far too many of the jokes were hit or miss compared to other series.</rant>
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 18:29   Link #86
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Well you can combine horror/sci-fi/fantasy for the best supernatural serie, but you will displease lot's of fans that wanted to vote for the other 2 genres.

edit: comedy was not weak this year as Konokaga has easily given some good examples (i don't agree with all of them , but with most of them). Sports and romance were quite weak this year though

Last edited by hyl; 2012-02-06 at 18:41.
Old 2012-02-06, 18:47   Link #87
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
More eclectic series like Penguindrum would have more difficulty snagging away one little category, but lets face it, they had difficulty doing so ever in the first place as we saw here.

It's not creating vagueness to have fewer, unique (Can't be nominated in more than one {Ai} ) categories personally. It actually gives them more meaning and weight, and stream lines the process.

It'll actually reveal to us what the AS community thinks the genre a show like Madoka fits in the best.

To me there is not much difference between sci-fi and fantasy (In some cases the border between them becomes indistinguishable), and USUALLY action shows pass over in the surreal anyways (scifi and fantasy). Typically when they are not about the surreal, they're in a genre with more prominent elements, particularly tragic and dramatic ones.

Also I don't particularly see the need to branch off slice of life from drama. Most slice of life series people typically think of like K-ON! would probably fit more into moe anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To me the general attitude around here is along the lines of disappointment that XYZ could not win because they feel the categories are too general and want to break it off into more specific categories (Where the process starts to become vague and frustrating since it's hard to define these things in the first place), in the hopes that their favorite shows are able to pick up some kind of award.

We have to realize that not everything is going to get an award. It's just a sense of entitlement, and I don't think that approach is going to be helpful for making these awards more clearly defined and easily approachable.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2012-02-06 at 19:07.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 19:04   Link #88
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
More eclectic series like Penguindrum would have more difficulty snagging away one little category, but lets face it, they had difficulty doing so ever in the first place as we saw here.

It's not creating vagueness to have fewer, unique (Can't be nominated in more than one {Ai} ) categories personally. It actually gives them more meaning and weight, and stream lines the process.

It'll actually reveal to us what the AS community thinks the genre a show like Madoka fits in the best.

To me there is not much difference between sci-fi and fantasy (In some cases the border between them becomes indistinguishable), and USUALLY action shows pass over in the surreal anyways (scifi and mecha). Typically when they are not about the surreal, they're in a genre with more prominent elements, particularly tragic and dramatic ones.

Also I don't particularly see the need to branch off slice of life from drama. Most slice of life series people typically think of like K-ON! would probably fit more into moe anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To me the general attitude around here is along the lines of disappointment that XYZ could not win because they feel the categories are too general and want to break it off into more specific categories (Where the process starts to become vague and frustrating since it's hard to define these things in the first place), in the hopes that their favorite shows are able to pick up some kind of award.

We have to realize that not everything is going to get an award. It's just a sense of entitlement, and I don't think that approach is going to be helpful for making these awards more clearly defined and easily approachable.
Count me in with the people that feel efficiency is more important that making sure pet favorite shows pick up some kind of award. Personally I'm of the idea that getting rid of the whole Nomination -> Voting phase and instead just having one FPTP style vote where you can vote for whatever is included would be a key move along that very line.

I still really have to question the need for a 2 stage voting process and what benefit it's supposed to offer. To me the most democractic vote is the one where you just get to actually vote for your favorite show in a given category if it's eligible. It's all inclusive and doesn't force a poster to give a vote to a show simply because the show they actually wanted to vote for didn't get enough votes in the nomination phase to make it to the second stage. To me it's a hollow choice if it's not really the one you think deserves the nod and all you're really doing by narrowing the choices down is ensuring that only the most popular choices of the year have any chance at any sort of recognition around these parts and that people that haven't seen those hit shows are guaranteed to be left out of the loop during the 2nd stage of the voting process and that if they haven't seen or support the popular shows then they just plain don't matter.

Granted the most popular shows are still the most likely to get the nod in an all inclusive FPTP one stage style vote, but at least your eliminating some redudancy from the process and ensuring that people will always get to vote for the show they think deserves to win a given category and that that vote will count at least somewhat in the long run.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 19:54   Link #89
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

To me, the way in which the genre ({A}) categories are divided isn't as important as the stipulation that each series should only be nominated for one genre category. Ideally this rule would mean that the voting community would be forced to come to terms with the ambiguities of a given title's genre and quickly make a decision about which category that title has a best chance of being nominated in and/or winning.

The genres themselves can probably be debated forever, but I think that if there's enough pressure on the organizers to limit the number of genre categories to a reasonable number, like 5 or 6, that Haak and coworkers will probably make a good enough decision about how they should be divvied up. The biggest problem with the genre categories in their current form is the ambiguity. I think it's important that the community be empowered to decide which category is best for which title, and I'd like it to remain that that decision happens during the nomination stage. But the rule each title can only be nominated for one genre category will hopefully help force the community to overcome that ambiguity and be decisive in their categorization.

Edit: Also this is the post where I proposed this idea.

Last edited by Sorrow-K; 2012-02-06 at 19:56. Reason: Shameless self promotion.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 20:20   Link #90
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Count me in with the people that feel efficiency is more important that making sure pet favorite shows pick up some kind of award. Personally I'm of the idea that getting rid of the whole Nomination -> Voting phase and instead just having one FPTP style vote where you can vote for whatever is included would be a key move along that very line.

I still really have to question the need for a 2 stage voting process and what benefit it's supposed to offer. To me the most democractic vote is the one where you just get to actually vote for your favorite show in a given category if it's eligible. It's all inclusive and doesn't force a poster to give a vote to a show simply because the show they actually wanted to vote for didn't get enough votes in the nomination phase to make it to the second stage. To me it's a hollow choice if it's not really the one you think deserves the nod and all you're really doing by narrowing the choices down is ensuring that only the most popular choices of the year have any chance at any sort of recognition around these parts and that people that haven't seen those hit shows are guaranteed to be left out of the loop during the 2nd stage of the voting process and that if they haven't seen or support the popular shows then they just plain don't matter.

Granted the most popular shows are still the most likely to get the nod in an all inclusive FPTP one stage style vote, but at least your eliminating some redudancy from the process and ensuring that people will always get to vote for the show they think deserves to win a given category and that that vote will count at least somewhat in the long run.
Good idea bro. I'm all for reducing complexity, and having 2 phases has a lot of logistical issues such as people remembering one or not the other, leading to the votes being monopolized with whoever was paying attention during the nomination phases. The idea of a nomination phase is to filter, however, since we're not filtering our choices before a panel or something, it is redundant because the filtering phase is largely self-directed.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 21:44   Link #91
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, I will say that we did have a thread in November with a poll to see what people wanted. Despite the constant complaints that we have too many categories, the majority seemed to prefer increasing the categories.

We're certainly going to be discussing the genre categories. felix has some really interesting ideas... if any of us can figure out how to make them work. As for limiting genre nominations that's certainly going to be something we'll discuss.

Although I do want to ask, considering that Madoka managed to win only 2 genre categories and no other show won more than one- is it really as big a problem as people keep saying? Just asking because I checked the past awards and the most genre awards ever won by a show was 3- Sports/Romance/Drama. Won last year by Cross Game (a 52 episode show allows you to cover a lot of ground). And that was the only year any show won more than two genre awards.

One other idea to bring up that is smaller, but I think might be a good idea. Perhaps we should deprioritize the genre categories by not listing them first? I mean Best Show should really be our first question shouldn't it?

I actually think it might effect nominations and voting behavior.

Anyway, other topics brought up...

Oh yeah, nominations. The problem with nominations is that bluntly people are lazy and don't want to vote in a nomination free for all where they can vote for any show. They prefer to wait until there are fewer shows to pick from to pick the winner. So not having a nomination period means significantly less voters- as in 50% less.

Additionally, the results are quite different. Here are the nomination results. I count no less then 9 categories then had results different then in the nominations.

So basically we've gone with a two stage format to whittle the choices down to gain a greater participation rate. The nominations tell us what the most dedicated and passionate viewers think. The voting stage tells us what the more broad community feels.

Might I point out that all of you were free to participate in the nominations. It's not like it's harder to vote in the nominations then it would be to vote in a one stage free for all. If you don't like the nominations, then please get more people to participate in them.

And least you think I'm saying no to changing, I'm not. I'm just pointing out the reasons we're doing it as a two stage system right now. If there really is a large desire to go to a one stage system we'll certainly discuss it. It's been brought up before.

I will say that if we do try to limit shows to one or two genre I'm not sure how we can do that without a nomination phase. I think I speak for all the people helping organize in saying that we really are not excited about the idea of us trying to decide which genre a show is eligible for- especially not for every show aired during the year.

Overall I'd like to add that all of us really do pay a lot of attention to the ideas and desires expressed about how to improve the Awards. We want to reflect the desires of the community. Unfortunately the community often seems to be pulling in different directions.

So if you don't like what we're doing feel free to let us know, and explain why. We actually have a list this year of suggestions to discuss for next year, and I've tried to get all of the items discussed in the various Award threads on it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-02-06 at 22:11.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 22:02   Link #92
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I still really have to question the need for a 2 stage voting process and what benefit it's supposed to offer. To me the most democractic vote is the one where you just get to actually vote for your favorite show in a given category if it's eligible.
Doesn't that require that the organizing committee make the genre allocations themselves before-hand? I don't see where these lists for each category would come from otherwise.

Personally I don't have a problem with that method, or perhaps a method where a list of nominees in each category is proposed, then opened to discussion for a week or two, then a final list is determined.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 03:29   Link #93
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The genres themselves can probably be debated forever, but I think that if there's enough pressure on the organizers to limit the number of genre categories to a reasonable number, like 5 or 6, that Haak and coworkers will probably make a good enough decision about how they should be divvied up. The biggest problem with the genre categories in their current form is the ambiguity. I think it's important that the community be empowered to decide which category is best for which title, and I'd like it to remain that that decision happens during the nomination stage. But the rule each title can only be nominated for one genre category will hopefully help force the community to overcome that ambiguity and be decisive in their categorization.
So true. The organizers could have added categories, they could have expanded them to say, each individual theme genre (sci-fi, fantasy, romance, comedy, etc.) and cinematography genre (animation, music), but seriously, I thought there were a ridiculous number of categories as the voting stood. People just needed to CHOOSE.

On a complete side-note, I think it's a damn travesty that Redline didn't win as much as a single category. #1 overlooked anime of the year, in my opinion. I don't think very many people even watched it, given what the voting was.
Old 2012-02-07, 05:29   Link #94
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

These are my thoughts on some of the issues raised thus far. Just so everyone is clear these are personal opinions and are not official representative positions of the contest organisers (There's no such thing yet)

Fate/Zero Split Cour

Spoiler for space:

Movies and OVAs

Spoiler for space:

Sports and Hobbies

Spoiler for space:

Fanservice and Moe

Spoiler for space:

Genre categories

Spoiler for space:

Category Minimalism

Spoiler for space:

Miscellaneous

Spoiler for space:
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 08:41   Link #95
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd like to say that I too find the nominations useful. It told me I needed to take a second look at Steins;Gate, and alerted me to Redline which I hadn't heard of before. Plus, how will Sorrow-kun write his AnimeSuki Choice Awards preview without it?

On the categories, I'd probably like something like this:

Best Of:

-{A1}- [TV series]
-{A2}- [Movie]
-{A3}- [OVA/Shorts]
-{A4}- [Original Story]

General Attributes (all shows across all genre are eligible):

-{B1}- [Visuals/Animation/Art]
-{B2}- [Opening/Ending Song]
-{B3}- [Soundtrack]
-{B4}- [Storyline/Plot]
-{B5}- [Setting/World Building]
-{B6}- [Fanservice] (Personally I'd rather cut this entirely, but since there does seem to be demand for it I think it's better as a general question rather then a genre category)

Character Questions:

-{C1}- [Female Lead Character]
-{C2}- [Male Lead Character]
-{C3}- [Female Supporting Character]
-{C4}- [Male Supporting Character]
-{C5}- [Antagonist]
-{C6}- [Couple] (let the shippers go crazy)

Genre:

-{D1}- [Action/Adventure]
-{D2}- [Comedy]
-{D3}- [Drama/Tragedy]
-{D4}- [Mystery]
-{D5}- [Romance]
-{D6}- [Fantasy]
-{D7}- [Science-Fiction]
-{D8}- [Slice of Life]
-{D9}- [Horror] (I'm currently on the fence about splitting Horror and Mystery, but it seems like last year the category was hurt by being combined. Maybe this one should be split or combined depending on the number of shows in the respective categories that year.)

I cut Sports entirely. Unfortunately there just aren't enough shows anymore, and I think it's better to cut it then try and mash it up with a bunch of other genre that don't really fit together all that well.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-02-07, 09:09   Link #96
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Edit: Also this is the post where I proposed this idea.
Oh wow, I didn't realise Nihon Review had a blog too. I just usually went there to check out their reviews and occasionally the reviewers forums to see what they're saying.

Quite a lot of raeg in those comments...
But there clearly are some legitimate concerns there too.
Old 2012-02-07, 09:25   Link #97
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'd like to say that I too find the nominations useful. It told me I needed to take a second look at Steins;Gate, and alerted me to Redline which I hadn't heard of before. Plus, how will Sorrow-kun write his AnimeSuki Choice Awards preview without it?

On the categories, I'd probably like something like this:

Best Of:

-{A1}- [TV series]
-{A2}- [Movie]
-{A3}- [OVA/Shorts]
-{A4}- [Original Story]

General Attributes (all shows across all genre are eligible):

-{B1}- [Visuals/Animation/Art]
-{B2}- [Opening/Ending Song]
-{B3}- [Soundtrack]
-{B4}- [Storyline/Plot]
-{B5}- [Setting/World Building]
-{B6}- [Fanservice] (Personally I'd rather cut this entirely, but since there does seem to be demand for it I think it's better as a general question rather then a genre category)

Character Questions:

-{C1}- [Female Lead Character]
-{C2}- [Male Lead Character]
-{C3}- [Female Supporting Character]
-{C4}- [Male Supporting Character]
-{C5}- [Antagonist]
-{C6}- [Couple] (let the shippers go crazy)

Genre:

-{D1}- [Action/Adventure]
-{D2}- [Comedy]
-{D3}- [Drama/Tragedy]
-{D4}- [Mystery]
-{D5}- [Romance]
-{D6}- [Fantasy]
-{D7}- [Science-Fiction]
-{D8}- [Slice of Life]
-{D9}- [Horror] (I'm currently on the fence about splitting Horror and Mystery, but it seems like last year the category was hurt by being combined. Maybe this one should be split or combined depending on the number of shows in the respective categories that year.)

I cut Sports entirely. Unfortunately there just aren't enough shows anymore, and I think it's better to cut it then try and mash it up with a bunch of other genre that don't really fit together all that well.
I don't mind this list, as it does distinguish the genres quite well.
About
-{A4}- [Original Story]
Does it mean the most innovative/creative story or simple means "not an adaption"?
Old 2012-02-07, 09:31   Link #98
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's supposed to simply mean "Not an adaptation".

"Most innovative/creative" would overlap with [Storyline/Plot]
Old 2012-02-07, 09:50   Link #99
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

"Most innovative/creative" would overlap with [Storyline/Plot]
It's not always the case, take Steins' Gate and Madoka as an example. The timetraveling idea for fiction is pretty much old and hardly innovative (H.G. Wells, 1895 and possibly older if we look at folklores) and the idea of saving someone from a tragedic death is as ancient as the stories of the ancient greek (and also possibly older).
However the execution of this not very innovatve idea, either breaks or succeeds a story. Which in this case, both stories succeeded
Old 2012-02-07, 10:11   Link #100
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Well the interest in having that category was to recognize Anime Originals.

So it means "Not an Adaptation"

Tags
choice awards