Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-25, 05:08   Link #41
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
i'd recommend Mirai Nikki if that was not mention yet. That show was pretty good and dark.
He already watched it and loved it. Personally, I'm looking forward to Classified's reaction to Code;Breaker.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 08:05   Link #42
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

Kieli-manga is short but continues with novel
http://myanimelist.net/manga/3522/Kieli
Boku to Majo no Jikan
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=25448
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!-somehat similar to nhk but this has more comedy. don't mind the cover this is no shoujo
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=28533
Blood Lad
http://myanimelist.net/manga/21614/Blood_Lad
Inu x Boku SS-i'm not familiar with this title but I think it has what you are looking for
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=17207
Ousama Game
http://myanimelist.net/manga/24836/Ousama_Game
the breaker- it's cool and manages to add comedy to lighten the mood
http://myanimelist.net/manga/8586/The_Breaker
Sun-ken Rock- same as above the only thing is that faces they make is somewhat annoying I managed to get over it and I liked the story
http://myanimelist.net/manga/8848/Sun-ken_Rock

if you are into visual novels you should really try out G-senjou no Maou it really has a
deathnote/Onani Master Kurosawa feeling to it. haru route is best

here is opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1myBNdmGXT0

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2012-08-25 at 08:34.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 08:55   Link #43
kitten320

Hmmm, let's see... I'll add some extra titles, maybe they'll be of your interest.

The Bungaku series - it is a set of small separate stories, each one deals with dark themes. Most of them are about morals and psychological twists. Some are pretty violent. In one of the stories there is a heartless killer who kills for pleasure. In another story woman collects human heads. So yeh some stories are disturbing.

Another - gives huge Final Destination vibes. It's a mystery mixed with horror. A lot of deaths and blood. Characters eventually start to lose their morals because of how desperate they are to survive.

Hmmm... maybe Berserk? those are action series set in knight period. There were no super powers but there are monsters and main character is a waling killing machine. Anime is old and if you are that much against old animes then there is a brand new movie, a re-make. I still didn't get a chance to watch it but heard that original anime is better so it's up for you to decide.

I know you said that you want males to be main charas but I would recommend to give Claymore a try. Once again series are based in knight era and are compared to Berserk a lot though I can't call them similar. Series focus on special female warriors that are fighting monsters. Each one of them has some special powers. And each one is under a risk of turning into a monster themselves if they over do it. A lot of action and blood. Dark atmosphere and interesting characters.

Deadman Wonderland - not my fave series but could be of your liking. Characters use blood as their weapon. Some shoot it is gun others make swords out of it. Main chara is a wimp though. His friends were murdered in front of him and he was found guilty. In prison he is forced to fight in deathly tournaments.

Elfen Lied - I would call it as a base for Deadman Wonderland series. A lot of gore, characters get torn in pieces and guts fly everywhere. But it is a female as main. Has a lot of psychological twists, tortures and bullying.

Ga-Rei Zero - bloody series, especially if you watch uncensored version. Some mind fucking. Main theme is "Will you kill the one you love because of love?". But once again girl is in the lead.

I saw that you plan to watch Yakumo. Not bad series but Ghost Hunt is 10 times better. It has a pretty cold and calculative character who is haunting ghosts. Has some humour but for most part it keeps you on the edge of your sit. Some cases are creepier than others. For me the creepiest cases were second and the labyrinth.

High school of the dead - if you like zombies and don't mind ecchiness, that's for you.

Hundred Stories - a very unique animation style. Everything is drawn in creepy and dark colours. Main group are hunting and killing off demons, some cases are disturbing.

I know you asked for no cutely art but how about Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica? Despite how innocent it looks it covers some dark themes and has a lot of mind fucking and later has some sci-fi moments that would be of your interest. Can't name which ones though, will be a spoiler. At least give the first 3 episodes a try since everything starts from episode 3.

Mawaru Penguindrum - weird series with a lot of symbolism. Plays with your mind and has a lot of twists which most people did not see coming. Covers some dark themes. First 7 episodes are a bit meh but then it picks up.

Monster - a surgeon had saved a boy once and few years later learns that the boy became a serial killer. Doctor is determined to stop him. Animation reminds of real people, know stupid anime humor. Some mind fucking and mysteries to solve.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is compared to DTB a lot. I really like this series. It is about people who were forced to become assassins. No super powers though but anime covers some heavy topics. A lot of mind twisting and some of the killings make you go "Why did you do it?!" Episode 5 rose a lot of rage towards main character saying that his actions were unacceptable. For me it is one of the favorite episodes since it nails the whole assassin theme. Don't spare anyone. Main character grows into the most fearful assassin who will not hesitate to kill yet he still keeps some of his human senses and wishes to run away from this death filled world, but can he?

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin is a must too.

Shiki - all of a sudden people start to die in the village and epidemic is suspected but is it the case? As a viewer you know what is the problem so you are mostly observing how characters deal with the problem. Towards the end you will ask yourself "Just who is a real monster here?".

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - a family gets stuck in the mansion where they are getting killed one by one. A battle between human and witch begins. Human has to prove that all the killings could've been done without magic. A lot of killings and gore.

Hope you will find something of your liking here^^
Old 2012-08-25, 21:10   Link #44
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
@frubam: as stated in the main post, i don't like futuristic or post apocalyptic scenarios; also, any kind of futuristic clothes/weapons annoy me, for some reason: they look... bland? I had the same issue in Deadman Wonderland, with the girl's clothing. If you still think it's a particular i should get over because the series is amazing, elaborate it a bit further.
Hmmm, well, it does have a certain philosophical feel at times, the music is beautiful, the action is good(though there is no blood because ALL of the chars are robots), and NONE of them use any kind of 'futuristic weaponry' of any sort. In fact, they mostly use old-style weapons(swords, bladed extensions, maybe a normal gun here and there, but the main char and main storyline antagonists fight bare-handed). The story can tug on your heartstrings too. It's concept is interesting because of an event(called "the Ruin") that occured that will cause all the robots to slowly decay and "die". The very aspect that these machines consider themselves alive and want to live is unique and appealing. I don't really know what to say about it, but if you feel inclined to just test the waters, take a look at the whole of ep 4. That is the general feeling of the show. This ep is not as action-packed as other episodes are, but it is one of my favorite episodes of the series. It's a one-shot episode that doesn't directly affect the main storyline, so you won't be spoiling yourself watching it. If that didn't entertain you in any way, then I guess it won't be for you =0(.

Last edited by frubam; 2012-08-25 at 21:33.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 12:48   Link #45
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Just to give you an update:
I'm currently reading GTO and i can't stop; you know, when reading some not so impressive manga, i usually check at which page i've arrived or how many chapters are left, but the most impressing ones just drain me. Also, it's giving me a lot of laughs (The funniest still remains Yuria 100 Shiki , thanks @ ColdAsIce)

I've got Mawaru Penguindrum and will watch it after i finish GTO. I'll check the other titles when i get some more spare time.

Thank you all for your suggestions, i'll later give you feedbacks about them

PS: i'm at chapter 25 of GTO and noticed there was an anime adaption: should i go for the latter or stick to the manga?

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-08-27 at 13:51.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 14:14   Link #46
kitten320

I would stick with the later since anime doesn't cover everything. It misses a lot of chapters and some characters never got introduced.

But what has been animated is good and if you would like to see part of manga in action, I would watch it after reading.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:23   Link #47
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

The former. Definitely the manga is better than the anime.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 11:45   Link #48
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I thought you would never pick that title up.glad you like it for me the best parts come after ch 100.

if you want more hilarious manga try the title I suggested a while ago KANGOKU GAKUEN it takes a few chapters before the comedy kicks in. comedy in sienens are way funnier since it's mostly for mature audience like you and myself.

I really want you try btooom(japanzai scanlated version) after your done with gto it has everything you want in a manga.if you are more in mood to watch something black lagoon was really entertaining. I personally prefer english dub but you can watch it in any version you want. don't forget to check my previous post
Old 2012-09-04, 18:13   Link #49
gunrik

No one gets tired of a dark psychological anime like Elfen Lied.