Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-02-11, 13:23   Link #61
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, it was mostly a passing jab at that era. From my experience, the art styles generally really haven't aged well compared to the style before (late 90s) or after (mid 2000s)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 14:48   Link #62
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, it was mostly a passing jab at that era. From my experience, the art styles generally really haven't aged well compared to the style before (late 90s) or after (mid 2000s)
It was a point when digital 2D animation became popular in Japan but before HD television was a big thing, so many anime were produced in low-res that doesn't scale well in HD unlike many traditionally drawn shows of the 90s.

I've noticed that the colors used in anime from the early 00's tend to be noticeably muted in nature compared to the more vibrant colors of many 90's and later 00's anime. Maybe that's related to Japan getting used to digital animation too.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 15:08   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
No I mean. I have no idea how popular most shows are on Animesuki tbh, but I have some idea that Madoka is wildly popular here, so isn't it Madoka's strength/popularity that pushes 2011 above 2012 or another year.
Ah, I see. I admittedly misinterpreted what you meant. Apologies for that.

I thought you were basically saying "You only think that 2011 is better than 2012 because you're biased in favor of Madoka".

Instead, it now seems like your saying "The perceived strength of Madoka Magica is skewing the overall perception of 2011 - i.e. PMMM is something of an outlier that's making it's year of 2011 look better than it really is".

I'm inclined to disagree with your argument here, but it is a fair one at least.

Personally, I found the top shows of 2011 to be slightly better overall than the top shows of 2012. I can break it down with show-to-show comparisons if needbe, but I'd rather not risk throwing this thread off into an even bigger tangent by doing so.
Old 2015-02-11, 18:44   Link #64
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Early 09 aside, I found plenty to like in 08-10. But I've never been as excited to be an anime fan as I was in 2011/2012. If felt like every season had a few really good/interesting shows to get really excited about and I was extremely optimistic about anime in general.

2014 certainly had anime I liked and I seldom had trouble finding things to watch, but there were very few shows I got truly excited about so it felt pretty lackluster to me. 2013 falls somewhere between the two extremes.

Can't comment on 2006/2007 too much as I was just getting into fansub watching at the time and didn't watch as much as I do now.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 19:50   Link #65
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I think you mistake 2012 for 2011. Most people say 2011 was the strongest year from 2008-2014 since that had the biggest amount of "blockbuster" titles amongst hidden gems.

Also, I think you'll find that your notion that 2009-10 being stronger than 2012-2013 won't be agreed by many people. 2012 was actually pretty good year as you said, but I would definitely not say it's better than 2011. 2013 was an average year. 2014 was pretty bad.
"Most people" - can't get more generic than that. Got any numbers on that claim?

I didn't make a "mistake", no, except having a disagreeing opinion. I happen to rank 2012 as a superb year and I know an awful lot of people who agree, as they've told me on my site. 2011 and 2013 were both pretty average to me - 2011 a little better. 2014, well - less said the better.

But as always, it comes down to personal taste. Circular.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 22:57   Link #66
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

^
I thought that at least because Baby Steps aired this year you wouldn't find it awful (it really wasn't), but I guess I was wrong
Old 2015-02-11, 23:31   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
^
I thought that at least because Baby Steps aired this year you wouldn't find it awful (it really wasn't), but I guess I was wrong
I love Baby Steps, but while I credit the anime for being faithful to the manga, the reason the anime was so good is because the manga is even better.

The way I compare years against each other is to look at the shows I rank in my top 10, top 20. One great show could never make a year great or even good IMHO - that's just the way I measure things. And for the record, I had Baby Steps as my #5 show of 2014.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-12, 22:46   Link #68
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Man, no mention of 1998. I am dissapoint.
Old 2015-02-13, 00:25   Link #69
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

^
Shut up old timer, times have changed
Old 2015-02-13, 02:49   Link #70
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

1998 was hazy. College, working, and not watching as much television or listening to radio as much. Internet becoming more important, but not full on until 1999 (dial up modem with Netzero - when the Internet was free and the page loading was in minutes.)
Old 2015-02-13, 05:50   Link #71
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, that reminds me of lists we created in another thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...89#post5307889

Yea, I know nobody will agree with me on this, but I'm definitely more 2011, lol. Of course, this also had to do with the amount of time I had to watch anime too.

It doesn't really matter though. A few years is merely a drop in the bucket and perspectives change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Tbh, I don't really care about calling what year is best, better, worse, or worst for anime. I only care about good titles. Many of them I adore beause they're being the breakthrough or pioneer or being ahead of its time and help bringing (good) changes in the industry, not about the individual year itself.
Yea really. In the end correlation /=/ causation. People try to seek patterns when they really don't exist.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-13, 11:09   Link #72
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Now that I've finally watched Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, I've got to say its first place in comedy was fully deserved. It's the funniest anime I've watched since Gintama. I have no idea why it flew under my radar. I had of course heard of it, but I had no idea it was this funny and fresh.

Thanks to the awards, I discovered it quicker than planned (it would have probably remained in the dark side of my backlog for years otherwise).
Old 2015-02-14, 14:14   Link #73
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
No I mean. I have no idea how popular most shows are on Animesuki tbh, but I have some idea that Madoka is wildly popular here, so isn't it Madoka's strength/popularity that pushes 2011 above 2012 or another year.
Madoka is widely acclaimed everywhere. Even going by myanimelist it is ranked as 58th and watched by over 170 000 people.

You can hear people talking about madoka on many sites and most of the time it has positive feedback.

If any series I find bias, it is SAO since it has tons of haters and yet it still is popular. Madoka mostly has supporters. I rarely meet people who disliked it.
Old 2015-02-14, 16:29   Link #74
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Madoka is widely acclaimed everywhere. Even going by myanimelist it is ranked as 58th and watched by over 170 000 people.

You can hear people talking about madoka on many sites and most of the time it has positive feedback.

If any series I find bias, it is SAO since it has tons of haters and yet it still is popular. Madoka mostly has supporters. I rarely meet people who disliked it.
Well in the case of Madoka there is also the "Urobuchi" factor to consider.
Old 2015-02-18, 16:38   Link #75
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I'm surprised that the winner is actually most get my vote
I don't watch most of the nomination but it looks like I truly watched the best from the nominations
great job and satisfying result this year
Madoka Magica deserved everything... *thumbs up*
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards