AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-02-06, 18:48   Link #41
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Wouldn't a simple and less heavy-handed solution to just be accept a character only in the character category they received the most votes for if another does indeed make it through nominations for both main and side character categories? We already have limits with genre categories, so I don't see why we can't add a simple exception to the rules for this case.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 19:05   Link #42
IceHism

I'm triggered by the people who didn't see that boku dake ga inai machi exploded right after episode 7 or 8. I think the show ended way more lomo than the manga did and the manga was lomo enough.

I'm fine with everything else i guess except for the lack of grimgar somewhere and hibike not winning the drama category.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 19:42   Link #43
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
In this case, no choice is not a choice.

I know we're all tired of this tempest in a teapot, so I'll drop it. But my last thought is this - just defer to common sense. It just makes no damn sense that a character can be both lead and supporting in the same show - it's counter-intuitive because it's absurd. It's like saying a trap character should be eligible for both gender awards because they're male part of the time and female part of the time. Or are we going to allow that, too?
Keeping to the status quo is a choice. See, the only reason why it wouldn't is if one senses a problem and thus a need to change. Not all of us accept that premise

And if said trap actually identifies themselves as female, than sure. If posters on AS sincerely believe it then a contest on as should reflect what people on AS think, regardless. And if the price is your approval, then it is up to people to decide if it is wortth it.

Look. Try making things concrete. Next year, get as many people as you can to get a character to win two awards again. Get someone to win both male or female. Then maybe you can prove a point.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 22:01   Link #44
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Nor how Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm was dead last in sports, but expected that one.
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm is an excellent sports show. It's fictional sport Flying Circus is very well thought-out, and very much feels like how a 1 vs. 1 sport should feel. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm vs. Yuri On Ice was one of my tougher voting decisions here. I'd definitely recommend Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm to anybody looking for a strong anime sports series experience.

Quote:
Or how Shirayuki lost to best female lead.
I think Female Lead was a close call for some voters, but what made it easier was Akagami no Shirayuki-hime being such an easy favorite for Best Romance. In my mind, Best Romance is sometimes like a fifth character award, shared by a show's presumptive primary couple. And that applies this year for me. I view Best Romance as kind of a trophy shared equally between Shirayuki and Zen.
Old 2017-02-06, 22:09   Link #45
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I'm triggered by the people who didn't see that boku dake ga inai machi exploded right after episode 7 or 8. I think the show ended way more lomo than the manga did and the manga was lomo enough.

I'm fine with everything else i guess except for the lack of grimgar somewhere and hibike not winning the drama category.
I find Boku dake ga Inai Machi very bad, at least the mystery part. Maybe it's because I watched the first episode 7 times in a row because I felt something was off, but either way, the mystery was handled very badly. Storytelling was okay, what ruined it was the mystery. Dropping very obvious hints who the killer was in the first episode is a no-no imo.
Old 2017-02-06, 23:53   Link #46
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
I find Boku dake ga Inai Machi very bad, at least the mystery part. Maybe it's because I watched the first episode 7 times in a row because I felt something was off, but either way, the mystery was handled very badly. Storytelling was okay, what ruined it was the mystery. Dropping very obvious hints who the killer was in the first episode is a no-no imo.
The show was never really a mystery to begin with. Having mystery elements doesn't automatically make a show a mystery. But, I've been down this road before so I'll leave it at that.
Old 2017-02-07, 00:58   Link #47
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Erased isn't a mystery/thriller title. It's a redemption title. Think of Erased more in the line of ReLIFE and Orange. That's all I have to say on that.

And as for a collation of the collective opinions of others - frankly, I don't give a damn. If you're that invested in the opinions of others on anime, it's unhealthy. I couldn't careless how much people like Re: Zero in most places or worship Yuri on Ice in others. I don't care how much the online community will bow to Attack on Titan 2. You couldn't pay me enough to watch them.

I don't watch anime so I can go back to back with others in terms of conversation. I don't need any list or community to justify what I like or how I feel. That said, I think AS has their head screwed properly on compared to the travesties I saw in just about every other place for their lists/awards of 2016.

And that's all I have to say on that.
Old 2017-02-07, 03:17   Link #48
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
And as for a collation of the collective opinions of others - frankly, I don't give a damn. If you're that invested in the opinions of others on anime, it's unhealthy. I couldn't careless how much people like Re: Zero in most places or worship Yuri on Ice in others. I don't care how much the online community will bow to Attack on Titan 2. You couldn't pay me enough to watch them.
Meh. Not giving a damn is a too passive a response, really.
If everyone stop minding the opinions of others too much, then we can't have a decent discussion about something. Heck, I feel that it has become a problem except in certain, more controversial threads.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 03:48   Link #49
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Meh. Not giving a damn is a too passive a response, really.
If everyone stop minding the opinions of others too much, then we can't have a decent discussion about something. Heck, I feel that it has become a problem except in certain, more controversial threads.
You can discuss anime with people you respect and who are able to discuss a topic/title while remaining open-minded. I specifically said collative. I didn't become an anime fan to kiss populism's butt. Might isn't right.
Old 2017-02-07, 06:09   Link #50
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
No, the biggest problem is the lack of advertising. I've tried for a few years to get the moderators to run an announcement banner for the Awards during the nomination and voting periods. It's been routinely shot down on the grounds that the Awards are not "official" but something run by members. I finally gave up in exhaustion. (I like the moderators here, but I think this has been a wrong-headed decision from the start.)

So you have to remember that there are Awards each year, or you have to drop by the General Anime forum and see the announcement. That leaves out many many people who might otherwise have voted. Maybe I'll argue again for an advertising banner next year, but I can't promise. Perhaps others can pick up the torch?
Referring to the part of the post that I put in bold.

I only realized that there's nominations going on because someone mentioned it at the Flip Flappers thread. Then I informed two friends that Love Live needs support.. the same thing.. they also only realized that the voting is going on because I informed them. The people I've talked to are willing to vote and participate even in the nominations. The only problem is they did not know that the nominations are ongoing.

Perhaps there would be a bigger turn out of voters if this contest was more properly announced?

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2017-02-07 at 09:19.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 06:10   Link #51
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Antares- View Post
Wouldn't a simple and less heavy-handed solution to just be accept a character only in the character category they received the most votes for if another does indeed make it through nominations for both main and side character categories? We already have limits with genre categories, so I don't see why we can't add a simple exception to the rules for this case.
Technically and objectively this solution seems the most simple and logical one to me, I also thought about it. Also because there are limits to genre categories for similar reasons. It goes with the majority in how the specific character has been perceived. Leaving also room to other characters to join the finale stage. And it is even less confusing for the supporters themselves. And doesn't seem to add much work dealing with it.

As a personal note, so very subjective, in contrast to said solution, if a supposed side character stands so much to become a main character and even win said category it would be already an excellent result in my book (it implies it overshadowed the titular main character and it's always the best win in my book if you ask me ). And on the other hand it would be kinda unfair to the other side characters to have such a contestant into their category. But admittedly it follows the similar logic as letting such a character be in both categories.

Anyways, even if it was obvious Rem would have won both, I don't really mind, my position on the matter is your house your rules, the efforts profused each year by the promoters overcomes aplenty such a minor issue.

I can't speak much of the results themselves since I didn't have many titles this year (it wasn't a strong one for me). I hoped for Grimgar to fare a bit better and it a sad sight to see Sachiko in the last place (even if I concurred to this result, I voted for the stronger contender to Rem, but I was really torn).

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 07:00   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I hoped for Grimgar to fare a bit better and it a sad sight to see Sachiko in the last place (even if I concurred to this result, I voted for the stronger contender to Rem, but I was really torn).
I voted for Sachiko yet I'm not that disappointed that she came last considering her points aren't that far off from the runner up (I already accepted reality that Rem would rule the Best Lead & Side categories as early as the nomination phase). At least Sachiko wasn't as underrated as Ikta. And yes, Grimgar not winning anything is a bit disappointing. Oh, and 3-gatsu also deserves the win as much as IBO which I voted for. So I'm perfectly fine with that result too.
Old 2017-02-07, 07:42   Link #53
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Anyways, even if it was obvious Rem would have won both, I don't really mind, my position on the matter is your house your rules, the efforts profused each year by the promoters overcomes aplenty such a minor issue.
They're always asking for ideas to improve the current system, though. It's not like these rules are set in stone for eternity. I don't even think the categories we had available this year were the same as the ones we had last year, because again, these things are always changing. I remember the days when "worst character" was actually a category, and when the genre issue was being discussed, because there was no such limitation before. I mean, once the rules are set for that particular year you've got to just go with them, but maybe next year we can have something better.

As for advertising, I tried this year in my signature, but let's face it. I just don't post often enough or in enough places for people to ever see whatever crap is in my signature. I think the one of the arguments against having official announcements were that the people already aware of the awards should be doing the advertising. But I've seen others try it and I'm not sure if it's actually helping with voter turnout.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 08:44   Link #54
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Hey, don't exclude yourself. We're part of the community, so we can contribute to whatever the community needs, and that includes any feedback to the Choice Awards.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 09:14   Link #55
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

These awards need some better promotion. I had no idea they were going on since I very rarely visit the general Anime forum, and I know that should be the same for other people in the board given the 60 vote turnout out of a board that often has hundreds of people around simultaneously. A very easy way to get the general forum to notice it that has worked in the past is to get one of the mods to post a general board announcement. A system wide pm would also get people's attention.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 09:22   Link #56
Liddo-kun
is this so?

@Proto

Same. I go online almost everyday to chat at those anime threads that I'm currently following. But visit the General Anime section maybe once or twice every three weeks, or even less than that...
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 09:22   Link #57
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I voted for Sachiko yet I'm not that disappointed that she came last considering her points aren't that far off from the runner up (I already accepted reality that Rem would rule the Best Lead & Side categories as early as the nomination phase). At least Sachiko wasn't as underrated as Ikta. And yes, Grimgar not winning anything is a bit disappointing. Oh, and 3-gatsu also deserves the win as much as IBO which I voted for. So I'm perfectly fine with that result too.
I also had accepted it (Rem was a given) that's why I chose to vote strategically in this case, still is a sad sight, I dont' know, maybe because it so so rare to have parents in anime, so she feels like out of place (letting aside Erased is one of the three big titles this year as we can see from the results).
About Ikta, the show itself at difference with Erased was kinda awkward at times and it didn't seem particularly well received, I also had some issues with him. But apart form Satoru the other contenders are stranger to me so I can't really judge. But what about Yatori then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Antares- View Post
They're always asking for ideas to improve the current system, though. It's not like these rules are set in stone for eternity. I don't even think the categories we had available this year were the same as the ones we had last year, because again, these things are always changing. I remember the days when "worst character" was actually a category, and when the genre issue was being discussed, because there was no such limitation before. I mean, once the rules are set for that particular year you've got to just go with them, but maybe next year we can have something better.
For the advertising it has been discussed over the years and one or two years we also changed the signatures, still it would need something more organized and standing out, like Marcus H. avatar or even better Dextro's actual signature.

For the rest I got slightly misunderstood, I agree with you, it's just that at the end of the day it's up to who does all the strain to decide if and how a change has to be made or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Hey, don't exclude yourself. We're part of the community, so we can contribute to whatever the community needs, and that includes any feedback to the Choice Awards.
I gave my opinion on the matter so, well, it's not that I'm excluding myself

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 11:08   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
About Ikta, the show itself at difference with Erased was kinda awkward at times and it didn't seem particularly well received, I also had some issues with him. But apart form Satoru the other contenders are stranger to me so I can't really judge.
Wait, if you’re familiar with Re:Zero & Rem, how can you be stranger to Subaru? but IMO Ikta is a stronger character when it comes to personality compared to Subaru & Kazuma. I feel Subaru often falls victim to behaving according to what the plot needs him to do & Kazuma brings nothing new as an MC. Heck you can probably swap Subaru & Kazuma’s personalities and the series they were in will still go in the same direction. I think Ikta is also slightly better compared to Satoru by the fact that he doesn’t need magical skill of turning back time to drive the story forward. In Ikta’s case, the risk and consequences he’s shouldering is a lot bigger especially compared to Satoru & Subaru who have the luxury to "restart". Oh, and he’s more mature and not a virgin loser . But Yakumo still trumps over all of them though . So I'm glad that he won.

Quote:
But what about Yatori then?
What about her? Yatori was the number 1 character that I nominated but when Ikta is as underrated as he is now, there’s no way Yatori can do better hence her “failure” to get into the nomination. Poor Yatori. She’s better than Rem in my eyes (yes, by saying that, I’m prepared for all the flames that would probably come at me). If Rem’s confession to Subaru is the “ultimate weapon” that her fans use to justify Rem as best waifu for delivering what they considered to be the “pinnacle of confessions” (of a girl to a teenage boy), then Yatori’s shorter “confession” hits harder and feels more mature considering her situation which naturally fits her mature character (those who have seen Alderamin should know the event I’m talking about). But obviously as you can see, my opinion on that is not the popular one.

I don't know. Maybe my choices for best male & female MCs are dictated by my jaded-ness of the standard teenage characters or old characters who act like (anime) teenagers.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-02-07 at 11:21.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 11:37   Link #59
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Humoring the idea of scrapping Best Fe/male Lead and Best Side Character for Best Fe/male for a moment, it ends up kneecapping characters who are clear side characters when there isn't enough momentum to carry them most of the time. But even with the lack of momentum there wasn't anything stopping the voters back then from a victory in two categories, merely their own judgment and common sense that would eventually evaluate a rare situation where fair deductions get turned on their head. So the argument goes, and I personally get a kick out of the consequences and salt the status quo or changing the system causes. Just be sure you know what you're pushing for since you'll have to be ready when the principle is eventually flipped on you

Unless we implement a system where the show or character with less votes can win 7% of the time. Then we riot

Also, AS' active member count in general has been falling. It shouldn't be surprising voter turnout drops with it
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 13:06   Link #60
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
You can discuss anime with people you respect and who are able to discuss a topic/title while remaining open-minded. I specifically said collative. I didn't become an anime fan to kiss populism's butt. Might isn't right.
I agree. It's called growing a pair. Metaphorically speaking. I'm very glad I got to watch shows like Euphonium season 1 cut off from the discussion, because well, fuck.

Explain things in a rational manner, and not from insecurity, all that jazz. Which is why one shouldn't really worry about the results that much as long as one has expressed themselves properly. And it's also good that everyone didn't just mindlessly clamour for 1-2 series, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
So the argument goes, and I personally get a kick out of the consequences and salt the status quo or changing the system causes. Just be sure you know what you're pushing for since you'll have to be ready when the principle is eventually flipped on you
Note that nobody claimed it was a problem before this. Then something happens, and then suddenly it's an irrational aberration that must be fixed that completely destroys the legitimacy of this whole thing. So as you said, I'm quite certain, even if we did change it, it'd still be a aberration as long as it fails to fit one's agenda.

I mean this is one of the reasons I got sick of Blizzard games (namely Sc2/D3) when it seemed like something was working too well, and then without a second thought, Blizzard nerfs it into inviability because the populace has a knee jerk reaction without really thinking about how to deal with the issue. Or maybe there wasn't an issue and people actually had to l2p.

This is why I can't take these concerns too strongly at this point in time. Again, I challenge anyone next year to try and replicate the result without outright trolling the votes, because unless Rem shows up again next year, I remain skeptical that something has to be done. And if you're really going that far to sabotage a contest just to prove me wrong, then I think that makes my point still.

Curiously enough the side character slot did not exist until 2011, though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2017-02-07 at 14:18.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards