AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-24, 06:36   Link #61
Tiran86

Nope. The only reason I'd give up anime is if I stopped finding anime I loved. Even then, I'd probably keep looking for new anime, even if I only watched something once in awhile.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 06:56   Link #62
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

K-ON! made me seriously question the motives of the anime industry which seriously haven't really improved all that much. Anime like this is why creativity has gone out the window and why everything is stuck in play it safe mode.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 21:43   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I don't think any particular anime has made me consider giving up on anime, but I know for a fact that what the current fandom is willing to take an interest in these days versus what I tend to enjoy in anime has led to a significant decrease in how much I am willing to invest in being an active shared fan of it. I'm less inclined to talk about it with people that might not be a fan of it than I was in the early parts of the century, that's for sure. I feel it's past the time where I can possibly get anyone that I know IRL who isn't already interested in anime, interested in anime....unless I carefully pick a show from before 2006.

I suppose you could say I feel like I belong to a separate sect of fandom than the majority of people out there because I don't have a lot in common with the current generation of anime fandom that seems to get the most discussion and interest going out of shows like K-On and Ore No Imouto etc. Shows that do nothing for me and where I can't find any value or entertainment. It feels like most of the shows I watch are likely to fly under the average anime fans radar or just be generally disliked by them and vice versa for what's popular with the average anime fan when it comes to me. It's like anime as a whole has made a shift in appeal in the past decade to something that barely resembles what I remember getting interested in it for back in the early 90's.

The primary reason being that it felt far more mature than what American entertainment was offering up at the time and more willing to explore complex themes than to play it safe and family friendly. Now it almost seems like the opposite is the case, that it's American entertainment taking the risks and trying to introduce complex themes into the public consciousness while it's anime trying to play it safe with tried and true tropes and themes that while rarely family friendly can't be said to be all that interesting either.

Then again now that I think of it there is Legend of The Galactic Heroes which I actually enjoyed so much this year that it's made it really hard for me to get interested in much of what airs on TV now. When watching a repeat of a show I've already seen before does far more for me and feels less predictable than watching a new episode of a show that is currently airing it does a lot to kill my interest in anime.

P.S: Shit like what happened on the first page where a guy simply gets the ball rolling for his topic by mentioning his example and gets shit on for it just happening to be a show people tend to freak the hell out over is an example of why I find it hard to relate to todays anime fandom. If you ask me todays anime fandom is too uppity and the idea of what is good and what is bad has become far too collectivized and rigid for my tastes as well as other people that I know who have quit the hobby as a result of it. Anime fandom needs to settle the hell down, get over itself, and back off from each others throats IMO. It would go so far towards encouraging it to grow again I think, because as far as I know nobody wants to be a part of a fandom that can feel as oppressive and stifling of independent thought and opinion as a political party at times.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-01-24 at 21:54.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 23:22   Link #64
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

OreImo it makes me question is the anime industry going weak but Gosick proved me wrong though.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 09:09   Link #65
Ahiru77
あひる

I used to take every anime in high regards.

Code Geass R2 really made me see all the worst things about anime. And it seems that most of the shows I tried so far all have a fraction of the worst. It really made me dislike anime in it's entirety. Pretty funny that I read so many users find CG perfect.

Then I "found" an anime so perfect.....so frickin perfect, I 180-ed and now I just watch anime for laughs.

All is well, ends well.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 14:09   Link #66
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Kaioshin, you completely articulate my thoughts on the subject. I especially agree with you that 'converting' someone to anime fandom is something I wouldn't even consider nowadays, but back when I first started watching I wanted to do constantly. It does seem to me like anime has become less mature overall, and the immature shows that I actually enjoy (action) are becoming more and more rare as well. I can't win in this environment.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 08:50   Link #67
Gault
inc_mplete

After 15 or more years of Gundam.. I dunno why but.. Gundam 00 S1.. I just gave up on Mecha entirely , CBF with model kits and the sort , I continued on with Armored Core but it died along with my Gundam phase a few years after

all I like now is anything Mecha Musume(Busou Shinki toyline) , Amagami SS and Fortune Arterial
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 06:46   Link #68
Olivia_688

hmmm.. none really, the only anime I watch were usually recommended by friends