AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-03-20, 22:53   Link #21
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Ideally, I like to watch episodes in rapid succession but just can't find the time.
Old 2011-03-21, 01:26   Link #22
Haladflire65
*Artist

For me, it depends on the show. Generally, episodic shows I tend to watch spread out more while ones with an overreaching plot I try to watch at once but usually don't have time... Some shows I watch/watched in a more spaced-out manner are Natsume Yuujin-chou, Gintama, Mushishi and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Ones I watched in a more focused manner are Gungrave, Monster, Baccano!, etc. BUT when an episodic show proves to be more addicting than usual... I watch it in one go like with Cowboy Bebop!
Old 2011-03-21, 01:42   Link #23
ShannonCannon
Heroine

I usually have 3-4 shows I'm watching when ever I have the opportunity. I'll rotate through them as I see fit, but never more then a couple days with out watching at least an episode from each show.

Good post tho, like reading waht teh peeples haz to sei!
Old 2011-03-21, 01:50   Link #24
Raiga
tl;dr

It really does depend on the series and also whether it's old or current or whether I have the time to marathon. The last two factors are pretty self-explanatory; if it's a current show it'd be impossible to marathon so long as I'm caught up, and if I just don't have the time naturally it'll be slower going, even if I'd like to watch more at once.

For the first factor... Some shows are just really addicting-- and not necessarily because they're plot-driven either (though that's probably the most common reason to marathon). Sometimes I'll get really into the characters, even if it's a less plot-driven, more slice-of-life-ish show, and I'll think to myself, "I gotta see what happens next to these people! I need to see more of these characters!"

On the other hand, as much as I love Aria and its characters it's something I just couldn't marathon. Aside from watching the last three episodes of the first season together (and I think I did the same for the last season) it was always at most two episodes a day. It took me almost all of summer break to finish the second season.
Old 2011-03-21, 10:42   Link #25
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Depends on the series. If the show is a (personal opinion) 'pain' to watch, for example, It took me 3 months to watch half of the 2nd season of Nodame Cantabile, dropped it soon after

but on the other hand, I remembered finishing Midori no Hibi in half a day.

even as to now, i still regularly watch around 4 episodes from different shows daily.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 19:43   Link #26
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I've never really marathoned a series completely, though I'll sometimes I have watched 4~6 episodes of a series in a day before, rarely more than that though. So just depends really on how much I feel like watching of it and how the series draws me in, though airing I just watch weekly and if I am watching something with anime club at campus then 2 episodes every other week.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 19:59   Link #27
Lilithium
Banned

I have a hard time watching a whole series in one sitting. I've done it before when they were really interesting, but that is so uncommon these days!
Lilithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 21:20   Link #28
DDshoeshowz

Send a message via AIM to DDshoeshowz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
The only case, where I watched the complete package in one go, was Kannagi. For which there was no particular reason, I just felt like it. Excluding that, I always take my time. One of the best moments I had with anime was slowly pacing through Ranma 1/2's 176 episodes. That one took quite a while...Now it's Gintama's turn.

Why rush things? It's better to watch it little by little, so you can get excited at the fact that there's your favorite show waiting for you when you get home. You don't get to enjoy that if you finish it in one sitting
(Bolded by me)

I couldn't have said it any better!

Quote:
I have a hard time watching a whole series in one sitting. I've done it before when they were really interesting, but that is so uncommon these days!
Why is that? Do you find series to be less engaging these days or are you less interested?
Old 2011-03-22, 08:23   Link #29
solomon

Normally it depends on the mood of the show for me.

Toradora was addicting to me due to it's simple yet emotional story, I powered through that in days (was a holiday).

Meanwhile, Zeta Gundam was heavy and DENSE I couldn't take more than an hour of it at a time (still riveting just in a different way).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 11:50   Link #30
mecharobot

It depends solely on how much I enjoy the series. Whenever I find something that I really like, I watch in big chunks or marathon. That way I don't lose momentum and the highpoints feel much better. I rarely find shows to which I can do that anymore so I pile on mediocre shows which I watch around 2-4 episodes a day. One thing that I always tend to do on all shows is to be sure to not leave the final episodes to be a single watch, so I get a big boost towards the finale and can easily finish a large number of episodes even if the show is not that great.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 15:58   Link #31
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Meanwhile, Zeta Gundam was heavy and DENSE I couldn't take more than an hour of it at a time...
Oh, I know what you mean. When I watched Cromartie High School, its WTF moments made sure I couldn't watch more than 4 eps (12-minute-long, mind you) at a time. And here I was, thinking no other show could beat Excel Saga in that aspect.
Old 2011-03-22, 16:14   Link #32
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I like to marathon animes that are completed (like Cardcaptor Sakura, Sora no Otoshimono) even though they have a good amount of episodes, I still find the time to stream right through a good amount of episodes on the weekends, while I watch the animes that are currently airing on the weekdays.

But animes like School Days, I had to stop from time to time in order to get the courage to continue on with animes like these.
Old 2011-03-23, 10:11   Link #33
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I generally try to finish a show as fast as possible unless we're dealing with pure slice-of-life things such as Aria. And I would -never- try to marathon an SOL unless it leans more to the comedy side.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 22:25   Link #34
Dalek Sec

Send a message via AIM to Dalek Sec Send a message via MSN to Dalek Sec Send a message via Yahoo to Dalek Sec
All about the series quality and time for me. I am a grad student so sometimes time is limited

Right now I am tearing through Shuffle in a couple days. I am enjoying it but I also have the time

-Kyo
Old 2011-03-31, 09:19   Link #35
DDshoeshowz

Send a message via AIM to DDshoeshowz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I like to marathon animes that are completed (like Cardcaptor Sakura, Sora no Otoshimono) even though they have a good amount of episodes, I still find the time to stream right through a good amount of episodes on the weekends, while I watch the animes that are currently airing on the weekdays.

But animes like School Days, I had to stop from time to time in order to get the courage to continue on with animes like these.
I have to say, my tactic has actually changed to this lately. Like you said, a completed anime feels ok to do this with, but if I know I have to wait longer between episodes well, then I'm more loathe to watch it all at once.

Quote:
I generally try to finish a show as fast as possible unless we're dealing with pure slice-of-life things such as Aria. And I would -never- try to marathon an SOL unless it leans more to the comedy side.
Have you ever tried Big Windup? I find that to be a really cool slice of life anime. My friend and I are currently watching it ever thursday night!

Quote:
All about the series quality and time for me. I am a grad student so sometimes time is limited
OH GOSH I know what you're talking about. I love my research, I really do, but it does take up a good portion of my time.
Old 2011-03-31, 09:35   Link #36
Dalek Sec

Send a message via AIM to Dalek Sec Send a message via MSN to Dalek Sec Send a message via Yahoo to Dalek Sec
Quote:
OH GOSH I know what you're talking about. I love my research, I really do, but it does take up a good portion of my time.
Yeah it sucks sometimes but totally worth it. I just finished Shuffle! yesterday...took a week
Old 2011-03-31, 13:40   Link #37
Tiran86

When I get into a series I generally watch a bunch of episodes after another in my spare time, until I finish the series. I'll generally take a short break now and then, between episodes to check forums or get food or whatever though.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:18   Link #38
amasposu

It depends on how good a series is. For example, Kimi ni Todoke was so good that I finished all 25 episodes of the first season in 2 nights. On the other hand, there are series that take me weeks or months to finish.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 14:32   Link #39
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
What's the point to stall on purpose if you have all episodes readily available and you have time? Just watch it all and enjoy and think about the series afterwards.

Whenever I dl anime and find a good one, I usually marathon it.. Well depending on it's length of course. If it's REALLY good then I just might actually marathon it all no matter how many episodes there are. I remember doing this with Gintama and One Piece, Gintama with 170 episode (what was released so far) and OP with about 300 episodes. Only ate and used toilet between, though of course some sleep was necessary too but not much
Old 2011-07-22, 14:55   Link #40
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What's the point to stall on purpose if you have all episodes readily available and you have time? Just watch it all and enjoy and think about the series afterwards.
There are some shows that are directed under the assumption that the audience will watch it on a week-by-week basis, or at least not view the episodes in quick succession. It could be thought of as food eaten only once a day (normally), like cereal or ice cream. How the content is handled is left up to the viewer in the end, but I wager there are some things people like that they would get sick of in repeated doses.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote