AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-09, 11:21   Link #181
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
None of which are "these towns", and all of which can be easily added on to an existing city structure, especially if the technology already exists. You are wildly underestimating how much desperation can speed up a construction process, and even then, the fact that the bare minimum (which can later be easily and relatively safely upgraded) would take even less time to complete. It's silly to assume that the final level of protection is what was initially built.
And I think you are wildly overestimating their construction abilities, especially for that time period, but whatever. What's done is done, I just think they could have easily have said it was forty or fifty years ago, rather than twenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Ikoma was slightly skeptical when she introduced herself because her name literally means "Nameless," and she says her 'brother' gave it to her. This sort of hints that at some point she lost her memory and was found by someone who gave her a new name- and it's not the sort of name that one would generally give a 'beloved little sister' character. Coupled with all the speculation that she was infected by the kabane virus, giving her the superhuman physical abilities that only she seems to possess (along with the glowing 'infection lines' visible in the OP), and her name is more than a bit foreboding.
That's actually very interesting insight. I never thought about the actual meaning of her name until you brought it up. I remember that a movie had a character called "Nanashi" which also meant nameless. I'm guessing this may be the female equivalent. It'll be interesting to meet this brother of hers and what Mumei is all about.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 11:47   Link #182
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Looks like Attack on Titan + High School of the dead - fanservice
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 11:48   Link #183
larethian

Aside from RE:, this is one of the shows that makes me want to acquire and read the source material. Can't wait for another week seriously.
Unfortunately, like Mayoiga, there is none.
Best premiere of the season for me.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 12:11   Link #184
kuromitsu

I finally got around watching the first episode. It was... okay?

This episode was basically an exercise in BEING REALLY INTENSE GRAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, but I guess it was fun. Well, funny. I mean, I kind of chuckled at main character dramatically slashing his wrist to lure in zombies, and then going "shit, this hurts" because I thought it was supposed to be a joke... but then he cured himself of the zombie poison by really over-the-top, vaguely S&M-esque auto-asphyxiation and it was all VERY DRAMATIC AND INTENSE GRAAAAHHH and it was impossible to take seriously. Oh well, as long as it's entertaining.

Also, Mumei, that's not how slashing people's head off works. You need higher heels for that.

One thing, though, I'm not quite sure about the main character's seiyuu. I guess he didn't have a whole lot to work with in this episode, but he wasn't really convincing... maybe later on.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 14:27   Link #185
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Pretty much exactly what I expected from the team behind Attack on Titan. Lots of bombastic SRSBSNS Gar and intensity. The story itself has so many similarities what with the overpowering monster threat, the steampunk weapons and the heavy handed lamenting on how low humanity has sunk. I enjoyed every minute of it and it's nice to hear Tasuka in another role, although it was rather difficult to dissociate that voice from Ushio.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 14:31   Link #186
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
T
These towns were obviously built to keep out the Kabane. They have moats, draw bridges, enforced walls, all built for that purpose. It would actually be stupid if it wasn't. They have to keep themselves safe, so making changes to where they lived would make sense. My thing, is I think 20 years is a little short of a timespan, especially considering their level of technology and the man power that would be needed to build all this, while trying to avoid being killed by the Kabane all at the same time. At least with Attack on Titan, we know it's been a century or more, so the time fits.
I just think that maybe they should have increased the amount of time the Kabane have been around, it would have been a very easy fix and eleminated a plot hole.
Yeah, moats, bridges and walls can only stop zombie monsters and nothing else like lets say humans. Like humans from another japanese feudal lord who wants some more land. Come on, those "stations" clearly were already existing settlements by already existing castle for the other dangers before the Kabane came twenty years ago. I bet even the railroad and such existed but it mostly existed to transport goods and people. But when the Kabane came traveling with train became safer than traveling in a caravan with horses so those settlements became "stations" and that's it.

As for timespan, technology and manpower and Kabane threat:
Timespan is okay if you throw enough manpower at it and given how the lords and their samurai could rule over the peasants it is likely that they could get them to make deeper moats and bigger walls within a couple years, at the cost of some human lives and some famine but whatever, not like they care.
Technology is also fine if the steampower tech and train technology already existed before the kabane outbreak which I guess must be the case else there is no way they could have build an entire railroad through the whole country in that time while reinforcing their settlements and defending against the Kabane.
Manpower as said above is easy to get, tell the farmers, fishers and craftmen to stop their daily work and force them to work daily twenty hours and get it done. Given that there was a threat of a scary demonic-like enemy I bet many of them worked with their lives onto those bridges, moats and walls as those might be the last defense for themselves and their families.
And as for the Kabane threat, in the episode we hear some peasants talk about supplies running late and "the frontline falling back" which means the Kabane threat didn't broke out everywhere but at some points in the country so some settlements/stations are closer to the "frontline" than others. The ones further away from the frontline are probably the safest whereas frontline settlements, if they havent been overrun yet, probably fight everyday at their walls to keep the Kabane from climbing in.

Not saying that twenty years would be enough to invent steam tech, train tech, build railroads, briges, moats, walls, castles and villages all from scratch but if all that stuff already existed before the Kabane outbreak but in less impressive size due a lesser threat of non-undead, non-demonic creatures aka other fellow humans then twenty years is plenty enough time to have several settlements become reinforced "stations" with having huge and fast trains running in-between them.
Old 2016-04-09, 15:25   Link #187
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Yeah, moats, bridges and walls can only stop zombie monsters and nothing else like lets say humans. Like humans from another japanese feudal lord who wants some more land. Come on, those "stations" clearly were already existing settlements by already existing castle for the other dangers before the Kabane came twenty years ago. I bet even the railroad and such existed but it mostly existed to transport goods and people. But when the Kabane came traveling with train became safer than traveling in a caravan with horses so those settlements became "stations" and that's it.

As for timespan, technology and manpower and Kabane threat:
Timespan is okay if you throw enough manpower at it and given how the lords and their samurai could rule over the peasants it is likely that they could get them to make deeper moats and bigger walls within a couple years, at the cost of some human lives and some famine but whatever, not like they care.
Technology is also fine if the steampower tech and train technology already existed before the kabane outbreak which I guess must be the case else there is no way they could have build an entire railroad through the whole country in that time while reinforcing their settlements and defending against the Kabane.
Manpower as said above is easy to get, tell the farmers, fishers and craftmen to stop their daily work and force them to work daily twenty hours and get it done. Given that there was a threat of a scary demonic-like enemy I bet many of them worked with their lives onto those bridges, moats and walls as those might be the last defense for themselves and their families.
And as for the Kabane threat, in the episode we hear some peasants talk about supplies running late and "the frontline falling back" which means the Kabane threat didn't broke out everywhere but at some points in the country so some settlements/stations are closer to the "frontline" than others. The ones further away from the frontline are probably the safest whereas frontline settlements, if they havent been overrun yet, probably fight everyday at their walls to keep the Kabane from climbing in.

Not saying that twenty years would be enough to invent steam tech, train tech, build railroads, briges, moats, walls, castles and villages all from scratch but if all that stuff already existed before the Kabane outbreak but in less impressive size due a lesser threat of non-undead, non-demonic creatures aka other fellow humans then twenty years is plenty enough time to have several settlements become reinforced "stations" with having huge and fast trains running in-between them.
Agreed. You put it better than I did. Twenty years or two hundred years, they aren't going to be any more capable of building that stuff from scratch during a zombie apocalypse, so it had to exist—at least in part—previously. And whatever was built up outside of the stations had to be done in areas where the Kabane weren't as rampant. Once the basics of the current setup were there, then they could advance and upgrade somewhat while in the relative safety of the stations. Though frankly they don't seem too keen on trying anything new. Maybe that's just in this station, and Prota-kun's attitude toward the Kabane threat is more common elsewhere...
Old 2016-04-09, 17:58   Link #188
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Oh my, that was an epic introductory. That's pretty much instantly hooked.

I have not seen Attack on Titan, so I can't compare this show to that and I don't plan to watch that other show.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 18:01   Link #189
Tenzen12

I am also one who isn't exactly all over Mumei. I guess she is fun, but I don't understand why would anyone could prefer her over Yukina who is clearly best girl.
Old 2016-04-09, 18:20   Link #190
Alhazred

She reminds me a bit of Nora/The Stray from Noragami; sure, she's positioned as a protagonist, but i wouldn't be surprised if she has a very short list of people whose lives she actually values, while everyone else might as well just exist for her amusement. Of course, we've received so little characterization for her thus far that i might be totally off base too.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 18:49   Link #191
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

snow piercer meets shingeki. interesting. i think i like the initial draw of this show better than shingeki. i can't imagine humanity lasting too long if that's all it takes to wipe out a settlement of that size. the class system is interesting too, since it does at a good job at illustrating the incompetence of those in charge.

it seems like there's more than one person with the "remove the ribbon, gain the power" attribute? the op has someone doing it that doesn't look like Mumei.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 22:18   Link #192
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
For the moment, here's another mini sketch:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Man, I could have been friends with this zombie. Shame he... wait, he died during a moment of bliss... Lucky bastard.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 23:09   Link #193
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

A few thoughts / questions:

1) The first train to come into the city is actually fully stopped and the draw bridge is up before they put it down to let the train go forward. Why was this not the case for the second train? Saying that it's because it showed up early isn't a great explanation (for the first one) because it should just be a rule to make sure the general train looks safe / alright from the outside before letting it close.

2) How come no one seems to have given thought to just immediately cutting off the bite where the virus begins to spread?
Old 2016-04-09, 23:11   Link #194
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I am also one who isn't exactly all over Mumei. I guess she is fun, but I don't understand why would anyone could prefer her over Yukina who is clearly best girl.
Well, it's because she barely shows up in the episode for one thing.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 23:59   Link #195
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post

1) The first train to come into the city is actually fully stopped and the draw bridge is up before they put it down to let the train go forward. Why was this not the case for the second train? Saying that it's because it showed up early isn't a great explanation (for the first one) because it should just be a rule to make sure the general train looks safe / alright from the outside before letting it close.

2) How come no one seems to have given thought to just immediately cutting off the bite where the virus begins to spread?
1) I'm not really sure, maybe they'll explain it later? Either that, or they'll just gloss over it.

2) It has to be one of two things. (a)They HAVE tried it (in fact, that would be one of the first things I think doctors would have tried) and amputation didn't work for some reason. (b) They never thought to try it because of superstitious reasons, the common idea seems to be that this is some kind of curse. It could be possible that they don't even want to touch a person once they've been infected, much less operate on them. And if amputation is not done correctly, the person will die of blood loss and/or infection anyway.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 09:56   Link #196
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
1) I'm not really sure, maybe they'll explain it later? Either that, or they'll just gloss over it.

2) It has to be one of two things. (a)They HAVE tried it (in fact, that would be one of the first things I think doctors would have tried) and amputation didn't work for some reason. (b) They never thought to try it because of superstitious reasons, the common idea seems to be that this is some kind of curse. It could be possible that they don't even want to touch a person once they've been infected, much less operate on them. And if amputation is not done correctly, the person will die of blood loss and/or infection anyway.
#2b makes sense based on what we know so far regarding the MC's point about it being a virus and not a curse, but I guess what I don't understand is how this random "kid" / "teenager" seems to know so much more about the Kabane than the rest of the people in the area. You'd think there would be more of a reaction of doctors / people to find a way to deal with the Kabane.
Old 2016-04-10, 10:04   Link #197
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:

1. the first train was early because it skipped the stop that was overrun. hence they were not ready for its arrival. the second train arrived on time and maybe they typically let it coast into station. that's a poorly thought out protocol though, given their situation..

2. they think once you're bit, you're done for. they don't know that it travels from its point of origin to the brain.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 10:22   Link #198
DemonneoPT

Quote:
#2b makes sense based on what we know so far regarding the MC's point about it being a virus and not a curse, but I guess what I don't understand is how this random "kid" / "teenager" seems to know so much more about the Kabane than the rest of the people in the area. You'd think there would be more of a reaction of doctors / people to find a way to deal with the Kabane.
Maybe because the MC is a genius way ahead of it's time and probably because medicine/biology is still poorly developed in that timeline. Ikoma wants to change society's view of the kabane and apparently studied them for years, when everyone else just dealt with it as some sort of curse and killed the infected instead of trying to cure them.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 12:16   Link #199
Mangonel

Quote:
Depends how much superstition has precluded investigation. If hes literally one of the only people approaching the Kabane scientifically then it would be possible for a random nobody to be a leading authority on them. Esp. since it seems like harvesting/researching Kabane is banned.

Given the type of authoritarian regime we've seen in place I wouldn't be surprised if the higher echelon's are more informed about what the Kabane really are.

I'm more curious about why they aren't using firearms. Given the advanced trains they have they clearly have enough skill in metallurgy to make safe barrels.
Mangonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 13:13   Link #200
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonel View Post
I'm more curious about why they aren't using firearms. Given the advanced trains they have they clearly have enough skill in metallurgy to make safe barrels.
The author(s) probably just wanted more steam in their steampunk setting.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, zombie apocalypse