AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-06, 05:01   Link #201
NeutralZero

So are they going for a continuous time loop?
Guessing the guy with Hina in the intro is the same guy that goes all trigger happy in this ep...
ep that deals with a certain future's giving us headache now... considering this ep comes after Valvrave...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 05:09   Link #202
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I disagree. Gundam Age was shit, but Build Fighter's brilliant.
So true. I dropped AGE after five episodes. I felt like a child when I tried watching it. Surprisingly, the Gundam that actually has a childish setting (toys vs toys) is actually more entertaining, attention grabbing & doesn't make the viewer feel like a ten year old. AGE had a war setting, but it was still shit. I honestly can't believe that it is a member of the Gundam family.

Quote:
This show is handled by a different team. The guy who created this show is the same guy who created Gundam Build Fighters and Gundam 00.
That's why I like Build Fighters so much, 00 is my fave Gundam. Well if the guy behind 00 & BF is also behind this show, I'll give it a chance.

Still, I wasn't impressed with this first episode, it seemed too bland to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
try to play gundam online or watch gundam 0097
it's pain to aim at human target (so small + no auto lock)
it's like aiming at fly or ant
and if you are used only to aim at elephant it will be even harder

(it's easier to throw B**B at them or destroy random thing near them than to directly kill them in middle of fight )
Dude, come on, a kid on a bike & he couldn't hit him. At least hit somewhere close to him & make him flip off his bike. How does a mech from who knows how far in the future, lose to a kid powered bike?

I facepalmed like crazy when he couldn't shoot him & the fact that he was stabbing streets & no one died. Worst attempt at being a Terminator ever. -_-

------------------------------------------------
My thoughts on the characters so far:

Aoba - Honestly, he's beyond bland. Even his specialty, Basketball, didn't really stand out to me as something amazing or cool. Even his character design is boring. There was nothing noteworthy about his appearance. Even when wearing the uniform in the ED, he still didn't stand out to me. I just can't find anything special about him. (I know I'm being harsh to him, but I'm really hating this guy)

He's also one of the most obedient MCs I've ever seen.

Hina: You! Get into the giant robot.
Aoba: Ok, do you want me to bring you a soda while I'm at it?

Jumps into a wormhole & asks questions in the calmest manner possible. I'm like, "dafuqs wrong with you? You should be a little worried, you know."

I can already see that I'll hate him, but there are three other MCs, I hope I can like at least one of them.

Hina - Comes to the past & falls for our ultra bland MC. I so didn't see that coming. Saves the day & jumps in a wormhole, then disappears halfway in. I can't say much about her, but she was also somewhat bland (Still 10x better than Aoba though) & unappealing to me. All she has going for her right now is that moe character design, hopefully we get more substance as the series goes along. I also like her in her uniform. The characters all give the uniforms their own flair & it honestly helps a bit with the blandness.

Future Dude - I'm so disappointed in him. All he did was scream every damn five minutes & fail very badly at trying to terminate Aoba. Still, he isn't as bland as Aoba, he's just your stereotypical angst-filled/emo teenager that every Sunrise mecha anime has. At least he has a defining character trait unlike our MC. Going with what I saw from the Ed, I can say I kinda like his design & his uniform isn't bad either.

I like the design of the uniforms, but for some reason, when I watch both armies in their uniforms, I'm reminded of SEED. They have that nostalgic feel to them.

Dio - Haven't seen him do his thing yet. No further comment until I see his character in action. Dio looks kinda cool in his uniform, but when I look at his face, all I see is Gino from Code Geass...lol

Mechs: I like the idea of having a dual system for the mechs to function at full capacity. It makes this series a little more interesting. I hope they go in depth into the background & functionality of the system & not half-ass it. They can really flesh this out because it shows some promise. I also want to know exactly why we need two people to sync with each other to complete the system.

The designs clearly scream Gundam inspired & they aren't as breathtaking as some of the memorable Gundams introduced over the years. they also look somewhat cartoonish & don't have that edgy feel that a Gundam has.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 08:34   Link #203
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
So true. I dropped AGE after five episodes. I felt like a child when I tried watching it. Surprisingly, the Gundam that actually has a childish setting (toys vs toys) is actually more entertaining, attention grabbing & doesn't make the viewer feel like a ten year old. AGE had a war setting, but it was still shit. I honestly can't believe that it is a member of the Gundam family.

That's why I like Build Fighters so much, 00 is my fave Gundam. Well if the guy behind 00 & BF is also behind this show, I'll give it a chance.
Glad I'm not the only one to feel that way. By the way, which fansub do you guys watch? I was hoping horriblesubs would cover this, but they're not.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 13:45   Link #204
whitecloud

Is hina dead?
Old 2014-01-06, 14:59   Link #205
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Is hina dead?
No..........
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 15:36   Link #206
LKK

Licensed by Funimation [Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 15:52   Link #207
BW95
Banned

Quote:

Still, I wasn't impressed with this first episode, it seemed too bland to me.

He's also one of the most obedient MCs I've ever seen.

Hina: You! Get into the giant robot.
Aoba: Ok, do you want me to bring you a soda while I'm at it?

Jumps into a wormhole & asks questions in the calmest manner possible. I'm like, "dafuqs wrong with you? You should be a little worried, you know."
I can't believe you stuck with that shit for 5 episodes. I couldn't even get past the opening of the first episode.

I have to agree that it's just a little unrealistic how Aoba went with the flow so easily. A normal guy would've been overwhelmed and had their decision-making ability impaired, but that's what you get when you've only got 12 episodes to work with so their's no time for panic.

I think I know why Hina disappeared. I think this Hina came from a future even further ahead than the one Aoba arrived in.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 16:11   Link #208
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
I can't believe you stuck with that shit for 5 episodes. I couldn't even get past the opening of the first episode.
I give shows an even shot before dropping them. AGE didn't make the cut, so I dropped it.

Quote:
I have to agree that it's just a little unrealistic how Aoba went with the flow so easily. A normal guy would've been overwhelmed and had their decision-making ability impaired, but that's what you get when you've only got 12 episodes to work with so their's no time for panic.
True, in this regard, it is excusable. But still, couldn't they at least make him look even somewhat worried? I mean you just got flung into the future & don't even bat an eyelash or cry in confusion. The The first thing that comes to mind is "Hina!" Don't tell me we have another Shoko addict with this MC. -_-

Quote:
I think I know why Hina disappeared. I think this Hina came from a future even further ahead than the one Aoba arrived in.
I wouldn't doubt that since time travel will very likely be a central point in this show. It already creates a time paradox by having Aoba skip through time & come straight to that future because he'll have disappeared from time the moment he left his time all the way to the current time.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-01-06, 16:41   Link #209
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
I think this Hina came from a future even further ahead than the one Aoba arrived in.
She says that pretty clearly by claiming that Aoba was the one who warned her of the attack and sent her to the past to protect his past self. But that doesn't explain why she disappears, unless the setting is like 'one character cannot occupy the same time twice'. So post-Aoba Hina is now most likely dead, but pre-Aoba Hina is alive in the future he ends up in and is yet to meet Aoba (and looks like she's originally an enemy of Dio, no less, given the uniform colors and emo boy's undertones of betrayal).

And we also need to ignore the fact that, by all rights, that wormhole-like thingy should connect to a future where the emo dude came from, ie a future that is further ahead than the one where Aoba ended up.

I like time travel stories though, despite the inconsistencies, so if this is really a 1cour then that's a pity. I'd have expected a longer series given that it's Sunrise.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 17:49   Link #210
Esclair

Quote:

True, in this regard, it is excusable. But still, couldn't they at least make him look even somewhat worried? I mean you just got flung into the future & don't even bat an eyelash or cry in confusion. The The first thing that comes to mind is "Hina!" Don't tell me we have another Shoko addict with this MC. -_-

My interpretation of his reactions (or lack there of) is that he isn't a normal main character to begin with. If you compare it to other mecha anime, he is the L-Elf type of character that is a master of themselves to begin with, not the Haruto type who are guided by their emotions. I feel like Dio is going to be the more typical mecha protagonist.

Last edited by Esclair; 2014-01-06 at 18:03.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 19:05   Link #211
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
My interpretation of his reactions (or lack there of) is that he isn't a normal main character to begin with. If you compare it to other mecha anime, he is the L-Elf type of character that is a master of themselves to begin with, not the Haruto type who are guided by their emotions. I feel like Dio is going to be the more typical mecha protagonist.
Emotional control would give him a legit reason for his lack of reaction. But the major issue with that is that he's a normal teenager. Where would he learn to control emotions or do any training of that sort? L-Elf is a bad comparison because he has a military background & has been established as a cold character. This guy has a relatively normal life from what we've seen. I can't really accept that as legit.

Dio should be the cold type if anything. Having them swap those traits will feel out of place because the one who is supposed to overreact & the one who's supposed to be cold would be the opposite of their setting (Military vs Normal).
Old 2014-01-06, 19:15   Link #212
Esclair

Quote:
Emotional control would give him a legit reason for his lack of reaction. But the major issue with that is that he's a normal teenager. Where would he learn to control emotions or do any training of that sort?

L-Elf is is a bad comparison because he has a military background & has been established as a cold character. This guy has a relatively normal life from what we've seen. I can't really accept that as legit.
I'm saying that this is his inherent personality. It's because he's lived a normal life that he seems 'normal' via his appearance but in a time of crisis is when his base abilities manifest. Remember even when L-Elf was a kid (before any kind of training) he plotted his escape and took the Princess as a hostage when he chanced upon her. Any 'normal' kid in his place would never even think of such a plan.

People like L-Elf were born with that kind of personality and insight, training only hones it. Someone like Haruto can never become like L-Elf, no matter how much training they get.
Old 2014-01-06, 20:15   Link #213
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
I'm saying that this is his inherent personality. It's because he's lived a normal life that he seems 'normal' via his appearance but in a time of crisis is when his base abilities manifest. Remember even when L-Elf was a kid (before any kind of training) he plotted his escape and took the Princess as a hostage when he chanced upon her. Any 'normal' kid in his place would never even think of such a plan.

People like L-Elf were born with that kind of personality and insight, training only hones it. Someone like Haruto can never become like L-Elf, no matter how much training they get.
People can't be born with a determined personality. A personality is obtained as a person grows up. We didn't learn much about L-elf's past but it really looked like he suffered from a big traumatic disorder considering he was willing to use a hostage to survive. In a following flashback he is seen much calmer while in the series' start he has become a very cold person.

While I don't consider Haruto and L-elf masterpieces of fiction, I agree they have several emotional patterns which mangakid95 said the BC cast lacked. For example, in the first episode Haruto was fueled by fear, rage and later sadness. The excecution was really fast but it at least made me care about him. Some goes for L-elf even though it takes far more time to see his hidden depths.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 20:36   Link #214
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
People can't be born with a determined personality. A personality is obtained as a person grows up. We didn't learn much about L-elf's past but it really looked like he suffered from a big traumatic disorder considering he was willing to use a hostage to survive. In a following flashback he is seen much calmer while in the series' start he has become a very cold person.

While I don't consider Haruto and L-elf masterpieces of fiction, I agree they have several emotional patterns which mangakid95 said the BC cast lacked. For example, in the first episode Haruto was fueled by fear, rage and later sadness. The excecution was really fast but it at least made me care about him. Some goes for L-elf even though it takes far more time to see his hidden depths.
I'm not talking about determination. What Aoba showed in episode 1 could be attributed to a natural ability to logically work through situations instead of relying on emotions (which is what usually leads to panic or breakdowns when faced with the unknown). For example, there's this woman who was born without the ability to feel fear: http://thestir.cafemom.com/healthy_l...out_ability_to Even a reduced ability to feel fear would allow someone to keep calm in situations like this and try to pick an option they reason would be the most useful in keeping themselves alive.

You can also consider characters like Yagami Light, who have lived a very normal life, but has no problems immediately adapting to the knowledge of shinigamis, or using the death note without any kind of reluctance, because he was inherently a sociopath with extreme intelligence.
Old 2014-01-06, 21:53   Link #215
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm not talking about determination. What Aoba showed in episode 1 could be attributed to a natural ability to logically work through situations instead of relying on emotions (which is what usually leads to panic or breakdowns when faced with the unknown). For example, there's this woman who was born without the ability to feel fear: http://thestir.cafemom.com/healthy_l...out_ability_to Even a reduced ability to feel fear would allow someone to keep calm in situations like this and try to pick an option they reason would be the most useful in keeping themselves alive.

You can also consider characters like Yagami Light, who have lived a very normal life, but has no problems immediately adapting to the knowledge of shinigamis, or using the death note without any kind of reluctance, because he was inherently a sociopath with extreme intelligence.
[B]: That isn't an "inherent personality." What you're pointing out there is a birth defect. As Amaterasu said, one cannot be born with a predetermined personality. A personality is developed as you grow & is influenced by your environment.

Spoiler for Going on a tangent:
Old 2014-01-06, 22:37   Link #216
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
[B]: That isn't an "inherent personality." What you're pointing out there is a birth defect. As Amaterasu said, one cannot be born with a predetermined personality. A personality is developed as you grow & is influenced by your environment.

Spoiler for Going on a tangent:

But that's getting into the whole Nature vs. Nurture argument and we still have no definitive answer on that.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 02:18   Link #217
Esclair

Anyways, some possible directions this series could go. Hopefully they don't pick the first or last option.

Lame, stereotypical end: Hina goes back to right after the moment she goes back in time, reunites with Aoba.

Tragic, but memorable end: Aoba sacrifices himself to jumpstart the time loop in the future, Hina goes back in time to complete the time loop, replay the last parts of the first episode from Hina's perspective.

Stein's Gate End: Aoba realizes Hina will die if she goes back, but can't stop her. Spends the rest of the series mastering the time loop to save Hina and succeeds.

EVA End: His method to save Hina unfortunately destroys the space time continuum by disrupting the loop, everyone turns to tang but he and Hina survive.

Madoka End: Aoba removes himself from existence, thus stopping the time loop and changes the events so that war is still stopped. Hina surives in the new world with her memories of Aoba intact.

VVV End: Director forgets about time loop. Hina never goes back in time and the ending is a happy one.
Old 2014-01-07, 05:25   Link #218
Asahi

I finally got around to watching this episode. Aoba is surprisingly more likable than Haruto right off the bat, which is a huge plus for me. Kinda tired of emo filled protags lately. It's quite interesting how Hina's cute kitty hairpin disappears when they go into the time loop. I wonder if the hairpin will become some sorta plot device lol. Anyway, nice (most likely tragic) romance vibe. This and Toaru Koiuta will probably fill my cravings for romance this season.
Asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 09:41   Link #219
hamazura
whatever

err... episode 1 and i'm already dont like the main cast.... this hina dude is just so.... seems too much focus and her and what she did is only blushing blushing blushing tsundere-ing toward this haruto, and i have a feeling there wont be any character developtment on this haruto, his character seems already too well builded.

seems like i'll just wait for viewers review after this series goes 1 cour
Old 2014-01-07, 10:38   Link #220
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:

VVV End: Director forgets about time loop. Hina never goes back in time and the ending is a happy one.
Spoiler:
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, giant robots, sci-fi, sunrise, time travel