AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-26, 02:01   Link #1401
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He might have learned that being an ass has consequences... except it totally didn't. He still got to swim with his friends, he still got a spot on his school's swimming team, he's still got a puppy kouhai.
You know, to be that fly on the wall and see what his Samezuka team mates think of him after what he pulled... except, wait. Didn't they cheer for him anyway when he swam for another team?
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 02:25   Link #1402
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

What a piece of crap ending. Couldn't they have at least animated the swimming instead of this surrealistic nonsense?

And yeah, it seems like Rei was the butt monkey third wheel character to the very end. Even gave up his spot on the team so everyone could come together for that relay. Rin only wanted to swim with his friends. Apparently we spent 12 episodes on that lone story line. How ridiculous.

Terrible characters, terrible story. Fujiyoshi pandering makes for a nice financial success, but Free! has got to be the most utterly vapid thing I have watched all year. Too bad all signs point to this getting a second season like K-ON! I would accuse Kyoani of being creatively bankrupt if it were not for things like Hyouka, so instead I just have to ask... Couldn't they have made anything that was remotely challenging to its viewers in content? Beef cake is cool and all, but I wish they gave even a little attention to the other aspects of this show.

And yes I was laughing at how pathetic Rin was in this episode.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 06:36   Link #1403
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Iwatobi+Rin did win the relay. I suppose it is possible that Rin's butterfly leg time was astonishing enough that his captain didn't want to dump Rin for the stunt.
He probably was astonishingly good there. Even so, the Samezuka captain forgave him just a bit too easily, given that he kicked him out of the Samezuka relay team for not having enough team spirit. I think it could have worked if he said "We won't kick you out, but we won't let you race in competitions until we think you're willing to swim like that for our team. Swim like that for us!". Which wouldn't have affected the rest of the story.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 08:13   Link #1404
LKK

I loved the ending episode. Everything -- characters, motivations, events, consequences, they all worked for me. From the beginning to the end, Free! has been an unexpected delight. I expected something enjoyable but extremely shallow. Something more like a fanfiction PWP to be honest. The series was much deeper than I thought it would be. If there's a US release (please, oh please, let there be a US release and in Blu-ray while I'm begging), I'm signing up for the pre-order.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 09:39   Link #1405
ookamigirl

Interesting how everyone was in a good mood except for Rin.
He was totally plagued by his past with Haru and others.
Rin finally managed to snap... not a surprise, was bound to happen.
That guy is such a moody character that can't seem to let go of the past.
Rin - Haru bromance reached it's peak in this episode.
In the end, Rin just needed his old friends back to swim with him.
All in all, a nice anime. Would like to see another season of this.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 10:03   Link #1406
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Azure View Post
Rei truly embodied "for the team", didn't he?
Too bad he was the only one. The others swimmed "for Rin".

Count me in among those who didn't like the final episode. I hated the way they resolved Rin's issue. Puu summed up why really well. I don't even like Rei all that much and even I was bothered by the way he was treated. All this pretty talk about him being part of the team, and yet he wasn't even allowed to swim with his teammates because Rin was throwing a tantrum. I feel bad for him.

7/10 for the whole series. Might have rated it 8 if the final episode hadn't been so terrible. It was surprisingly enjoyable.
Old 2013-09-26, 10:14   Link #1407
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Reck, I'm not going to address all your points, because I see both sides of the Rei/Rin debate and I definitely think this show is an "acquired taste" for those outside the target demographic, and so it won't fly with everyone. But there's one point you made that I found a bit odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Couldn't they have at least animated the swimming instead of this surrealistic nonsense?
But they already did animate the swimming in a very naturalistic way. During the relay victory in the Regionals. They also did this for the Haru vs. Rin races.

This is the finale, so they have to do something to spice it up a bit. Plus, using symbolic imagery during major competitions is nothing new for sports anime. Saki does it all the time, for example.
Old 2013-09-26, 10:32   Link #1408
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

That was a sweet ending. No matter what school they are at they are all on the same team. Friends forever.

Rei did the right thing imo.
Old 2013-09-26, 10:54   Link #1409
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Loved the anime and I personally really liked the ending.

Props to Rei for what he did. People have to remember Rei's reasons for wanting to swim in the first place, to look beautiful and to have fun with friends. We all saw how Haru was after he heard Rin's tantrum about how he's not going to swim anymore. If Rei didn't step up, they all would have been swimming miserably, not looking beautiful in the process. It was a sacrifice he made by his own will but he knew it was the right thing to do to solve this problem we've been watching the entire season. Rather than prolong the problem between them and Rin, he decided to let it get solved that day and his opportunity would come next time.

As for Rin, he got all his consequences for his actions, it was because he had good friends that after those consequences he was able to remain on his feet with a smile on his face. I was happy for him, and as much as I felt bad for Rei, I pretty much explained why he was better off letting Rin have this one in the first paragraph.
Old 2013-09-26, 12:51   Link #1410
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But they already did animate the swimming in a very naturalistic way. During the relay victory in the Regionals. They also did this for the Haru vs. Rin races.

This is the finale, so they have to do something to spice it up a bit. Plus, using symbolic imagery during major competitions is nothing new for sports anime. Saki does it all the time, for example.
They have to spice it up? They're facing tougher competition than they were there, and this time with Rin. That's enough spice and motivation. They should've at least acquainted the audience with some of the other opponents because this race was against totally anonymous swimmers. And symbolism is cool and all, but not when it constitutes like half of the entire race. Then it just becomes corny.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 14:05   Link #1411
rulfo

With all that is said and done. I'm ok with the ending. Could've been written better. But seriously the character animation in this episode blew my god damn mind.

It's like ep 21 of Hyouka again. Utsumi's storyboard + Kawanami's direction. Awesome ensues. For me it really shows that Utsumi has a strong grasp of tensest scenarios. That hallway scenes just transitioned flawlessly.

Whilst I did enjoy this, I'm not really rooting for another season but seeing it's inevitable with how successful this is. I guess it's ok. I'd rather they adapt other stuff from their LN.
Old 2013-09-26, 14:25   Link #1412
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I gracefully disagree with almost all your points and stand by what I said. I think that Rin's psychological and emotional well-being needed the confidence boost and that he had been suffering all this time from being away from his friends and yet was too damaged and stubborn to admit it, even to himself. I think that he did learn what he needed to, even if that fact was gratefully inferred rather than told to us and shoved in our face. He was a teenager acting out because of deep-seated self-esteem issues. That's not that unusual. And most teens learn not when being punished, but rather when given the correct support they need.

Also, I gave this up as a sports anime long ago, it's has long been more about the relationship of these boys. and the swimming just provided plot support and the setting. This was about the friendship and relationship that all 5 shared while they learned a sport that solidified their feelings towards each other. These boys could always go back to regional and even on to nationals if they wanted to, but they only had one shot to get their friend back. Rin was more important to them then any sort of race. Rin discovered this as well after his win against Haru. He realized that his triumph was hollow without his friends being there, which is why he went into the relay, so that in his own way he could swim with them.

Now, I know I'm not going to convince you of anything, just as you're not going to convince me. So we just have our own opinions. Just as simple as that.

Now that I think about it, I guess it was inevitable that Rin would swim with them one last time regardless.

I'm just butthurt because I really like Rei I guess

Oh well. Still one of my favorites this year so far. And season two should be interesting.
Old 2013-09-26, 16:43   Link #1413
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Rei did the only thing he could have done. I think no other action he could have taken would have given the same result. His teammates were just too hung up on the past to truly care about their relay and would've probably failed.
Old 2013-09-26, 16:52   Link #1414
Gravitas Free Zone

I wonder where that magazine that turned up during the closing credits with the special on "Marin" came from. Someone break into the Coach's stash?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 19:24   Link #1415
Parchevich

Kuromitsu and Puu basically said what I came here to say far more clearly than I probably could, but I'm still commenting because I need to express the huge hate-on I have for this episode somehow.

It's like the scriptwriter position was suddenly hijacked by an extreme Rin fan. Everything goes his way through no effort or growth whatsoever on his part, everyone loves him, accommodates him and does the impossible to solve his own issues for him. I half expected for him to win the lottery at the end or something.

Meanwhile Rei, who's been a decent friend and teammate throughout, gets... confirmation that he really is the fifth wheel and that everyone prefers Rin to him.

This is not an emotionally satisfying solution to me, and has soured me on both the show and the characters. I will probably give a try to any other female-aimed shows Kyoani makes in the future, but a Free! sequel with Rin in it doesn't seem appealing at all right now. :/
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 19:34   Link #1416
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Reading criticisms of this ending reminds me quite vividly of the times when I'd be pissed off that a harsh, seemingly unappreciative tsundere won out over a nice, pleasant girl in an anime love triangle.

I'm oddly not sure where to go with this observation, but I find it interesting nonetheless. Rin's behavior isn't terribly different from a tsundere. Heck, he even can get a bit physical at times. I will say that I think the anime took it too far in having Rin actually swing a punch at Haru.
Old 2013-09-26, 19:45   Link #1417
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Reading criticisms of this ending reminds me quite vividly of the times when I'd be pissed off that a harsh, seemingly unappreciative tsundere won out over a nice, pleasant girl in an anime love triangle.

I'm oddly not sure where to go with this observation, but I find it interesting nonetheless. Rin's behavior isn't terribly different from a tsundere. Heck, he even can get a bit physical at times. I will say that I think the anime took it too far in having Rin actually swing a punch at Haru.
I don't really think Rin's problem is his tsundere-ness. Just, script-writers who decided to take away his, I don't know, his ability to come to a conclusion that doesn't rely heavily on others. (I'm not sure how to explain...)

But anyway, like I said before, I was really hopeful for him coming from episode 11. And then it just kind of got handwaved...

Trials, as they say, makes you stronger. Everyone around Rin kept him from getting to that level-up on his own power and basically handed him a Free-from-Jail card...
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 20:46   Link #1418
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

The final episode made me go "wtf". That's all I have to say.
Old 2013-09-26, 21:35   Link #1419
Kirarakim

I know people are upset that the story shafted Rei for Rin but I disagree· Yes Rei gave up his spot in the relay but it showed his own maturity·

It wasn't just about Rin either because Rei saw how the team being worried about Rin would affect their performance· Rei did something to help someone else· Some people say Rei was the joke of the series but I don't see that at all· If anything he had the most positive growth of all the characters·

I think where the episode failed is not in how it treated Rei but Rin, up to he got what he wanted he acted quite awful. Yes Rin apologized for his behavior but only after getting to swim in the relay· Rin for being such an important character got limited character growth. And while I am for one glad he gained happiness & his friends again, I wish more of that was based on his own efforts, not the effort of others·
Old 2013-09-26, 23:58   Link #1420
novalysis

For some reason, I've come to this dreadful realization. Free!'s scenario seems taken right out of an Otome Reverse Harem. Think of it for a moment. Female High School student becomes manager for a New Swimming Club full of buff guys (Bishounen Harem). Who has a brother, who is also a swimmer (Incest potential). If I didn't know anything about Free!, but you told me about Gou, I would have presumed that Free! was an Otome reverse Harem VN adaptation.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation