AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-02, 05:33   Link #1
iceyfw

әnígmә

Quote:
Originally Posted by summary
Haiba Sumio is a student at a Tokyo High School with an interesting ability... He occasionally falls asleep and wakes up with premonitions of the future written out on his "Dream Diary". With this ability, Sumio helps out people in trouble before anything bad happens, until one day when his peaceful life completely changes.

Genres: Mystery, Psychological, Shounen, Supernatural
Spoiler for first three chapters:

my first impression of this manga was it was going to be a 'Who will he save this week?!' but manages to turn around the stereotype on how long shounen mangas will actually show an arc having to do anything with its plot. it is definitely worth a read if you are into fast developments.
Old 2010-10-02, 16:44   Link #2
Excorsism

I'm interested in the childhood friend. Yeah, totally. But like all other shounen series, romance takes a backseat.
Old 2010-10-15, 09:33   Link #3
Rickketik

The author probably though 'What would it be like if I mix Doubt and Mirai Nikki with all the typical Shounen bullshit' ...And this came out..
Old 2010-10-15, 17:42   Link #4
Aesthetic Shampoo

Is that a bad thing? I'm enjoying this so far.
Old 2010-10-15, 18:02   Link #5
Johnny
Working the bags...

Reminds me of another manga I can't recall the name of as the main guy writes down notes of future events and the girl sees things in windows or mirrors...
Old 2010-10-15, 18:41   Link #6
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Reminds me of another manga I can't recall the name of as the main guy writes down notes of future events and the girl sees things in windows or mirrors...
Ann Cassandra, which I actully liked.

This is ok I guess, not great in any way but interesting.

btw both this and Ann Cassandra have female authors.
Old 2011-01-24, 19:14   Link #7
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
I was wondering if we could get this thread's title changed to "Enigma" rather than "әnígmә" seeing as i have no idea how to actually write the latter using my keyboard, other than copying it from somewhere. I'm assuming this is also creating complications to other people trying to find this thread, seeing it has less than a page written in it because when they search "Enigma," the commonly used alternative to the title, they don't find anything.

Credit @ fallschirmjager

Last edited by Jin Kizuite; 2011-01-25 at 02:25.
Old 2011-01-27, 04:58   Link #8
larethian

finally, an Enigma thread! though there are less than 20 chapters to discuss LOL!
Old 2011-05-12, 17:15   Link #9
yura`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin Kizuite View Post
I was wondering if we could get this thread's title changed to "Enigma" rather than "әnígmә" seeing as i have no idea how to actually write the latter using my keyboard, other than copying it from somewhere. I'm assuming this is also creating complications to other people trying to find this thread, seeing it has less than a page written in it because when they search "Enigma," the commonly used alternative to the title, they don't find anything.
Ughh I agree! My initial forum search to see if a page for "Enigma" had been created didn't yield much, and only when I performed a search for posts instead of threads in the manga forum did this come up.

Anyway, chapter 31 (the latest scanlated one) was really enjoyable! There was a midpoint where the manga appeared to have hit a bit of a plateau, with just week after week of finding passwords - not that it's not exciting - but I guess I wanted more answers to the too many questions. And chapter 31 delivers, although it does bring up yet more questions!

Spoiler for chapter 31:
Old 2011-05-21, 14:26   Link #10
MeroBAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Ann Cassandra, which I actully liked.

This is ok I guess, not great in any way but interesting.

btw both this and Ann Cassandra have female authors.
I remember the picture of her wedding with another mangaka and a cake
Apparently, she was a an assistant of the author of KHR.

I concur. The series is interesting. She managed to create a mystery/survival manga, which was lacking in WSJ's current line-up and she kept the shonen values, which could have been tricky.
There was no trick that has blown my mind, but the story telling keeps me entertained so far and I am intrigued with the character enigma and his/her motivations.

PS: I like the weird design of the skull representing Enigma
Old 2011-06-01, 10:06   Link #11
yura`

Spoiler for chapter 34:
Old 2011-06-01, 10:32   Link #12
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
I guess the manga is ending soon=/
Old 2011-06-03, 02:48   Link #13
larethian

no this is probably only the first arc. but if the quality doesn't improve, it will.
Old 2011-06-12, 22:36   Link #14
larethian

wow! just when I was thinking this manga is going down the path of doom, a nice twist came in chapter 35!
Old 2011-06-13, 11:09   Link #15
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i'm liking this manga. it's a nice change of pace from the big 3(one piece, naruto and toriko).

it keeps me entertained and i am looking forward to the new chapter. the powers are very well thought out. it's not just the turning back time and the sort of crazy distruction.

ch 35. great twist.
Old 2011-06-13, 11:11   Link #16
yura`

I agree, larethian! Chapter 35 definitely shook things up!

Spoiler for ch. 35:
Old 2011-08-28, 14:39   Link #17
MeroBAKA

No surprise here, but Enigma survived to Ikkyu. I don't see the series make a long run though, the sales seem low for a WSJ series. It's better fate will be to join series like Psyren, Mx0 or Hokenshitsu no Shinigami. I wonder if the ranking will improve with Ikkyu gone. I have the feeling they share the same readers.

New arc is intriguing especially because of the colorful people inside the train. I am interested in seeing this bunch of weirdos.
And in the previous chapters I did not understand if there is someone that traps Kirio or if it is because of the power of the skull. I have the feeling it was the skull, but Kirio's anger seems directed towards a hidden enemy.
Old 2011-08-28, 18:01   Link #18
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

So did Hokenshitsu no Shinigami already get the axe? what was the last chapter?
Old 2011-09-10, 18:48   Link #19
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Well here's my guess, which is probably lame and cliché and everything, but : Cannibal's the president, was kinda obvious when they were only left with haiba + 2 possible candidates for being cannibal, whereas in reality there were 3. . . Cannibal steals everything, even their . . talents..
My guess for the masked man is Haibas dad, but that's just me
Old 2011-09-11, 09:01   Link #20
yura`

It would be disappointing if Enigma is canceled. I had no idea that it's been at the bottom of rankings for quite a while now - I imagined that it would have been more popular. Or perhaps the whole psychological thriller/mystery doesn't quite cut it for the WSJ audience? (I'm reminded here of Bakuman and issues of being mainstream vs. non-mainstream. Although Bakuman is itself doing quite well, haha.)

In any case, I feel as if we've barely scratched the surface of what's really going on. There's still too many questions left to be answered. With regards to Cannibal... LeaD36, that's what I thought too! Admittedly, it will seem cliché if the president really turns to be Cannibal after all (the least suspected person is often "it" right? lol), but I'm still curious to find out what the explanation would be. Who or what exactly is Cannibal, and what is its connection to "Enigma" and the skull? Then there's Haiba's dad as well, as well as his mom who appears to know more than she lets on...
Closed Thread