AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2017-10-12, 10:39   Link #1221
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
url=https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/918112884630093825]following[/url]:
With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!
Can he do this? Will he do it if he can?
Josh Barro has a good overview of the limits on the President's ability to kick television networks around.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...icense-2017-10

Because the focus has been on NBC, most of these discussions have concerned the method by which broadcast stations are licensed. NBC owns over 20 stations around the country with flagships WNBC and KNBC in New York and Los Angeles.

However cable networks are not governed by the same rules as broadcast stations since they don't use the public spectrum to deliver their product. Programming services like MSNBC or ESPN lie entirely outside the regulatory structure that governs over-the-air broadcasting.

Trump could try and mobilize conservative activists to challenge NBC's station licenses in some cities, but as Barro observes the chances of taking a license away from an existing broadcaster are very small. Muzzling MSNBC would require pressuring cable operators to drop the channel from their package of services. I don't see much chance of that happening either.

All these leaves aside the flurry of First Amendment suits that would be filed were Trump to try any of this. Like Barro, I see all this as bluster.

The last President to try something like this was Richard Nixon. He wanted the FCC to pull the license for the station owned in DC by the Washington Post, owned at the time by a woman named Katherine Graham. The animus toward Graham and the Post, home to the famous Bob Woodward and Carl Berstein, was intense. When Bernstein phoned then Attorney General John Mitchell to ask him about the secret slush fund in a White House safe, Mitchell replied that "Katie Graham … is gonna get her tit caught in a big fat wringer if that's published."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a.../boob_job.html

It was published, Mrs. Graham's breasts remained intact, and John Mitchell spent nineteen months in a Federal prison.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-10-13 at 09:12.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 21:01   Link #1222
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
In some lighter tones, a joke taken from Steven Colbert: After the American men's soccer team lost to Trinidad and Tobago they still had a small chance of qualifying for the world cup if Mexico tied Honduras. Mexico got a last minute free kick but the ball never made it past the defensive wall. Mexico wanted to help but - there was a wall in the way. And now the US is paying for it. What a shame.
Well, US still have that sport which they weirdly called "Football" , so it'll probably be fine.

Speaking of that "Football", apparently Trump's problem with the NFL goes way back.

Meanwhile, Trump at twitter : "We need a tax system that is FAIR to working FAMILIES & that encourages companies to STAY in AMERICA, GROW in AMERICA, and HIRE in AMERICA!"

Yeah, like your and your daughter's companies huh.
Old 2017-10-12, 21:44   Link #1223
Ithekro
The Comet has Come

Well to be fair, the tax system doesn't encourage companies to be here, so it make sense for Trump's own companies to not be here until there is a "fair tax system" that brings companies back home.
Old 2017-10-13, 09:19   Link #1224
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The US tax system is not driving companies out of the country. Yes, the nominal rate of corporate income tax in the US is higher than the rates in many OECD nations, but what matters is the "effective" rate after deductions and writeoffs. The effective rate is considerably lower and not out of line with our peers.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...able-countries

Globalization has a lot more to do with corporate off-shoring than taxes. I'd bet most off-shoring decisions reflect comparative labor costs far more than comparative rates of taxation.

Hope you're not too close to the fires, Ithekro!
Old 2017-10-13, 09:28   Link #1225
Ithekro
The Comet has Come

Smokey here, but there is a large river between us and the fires.
Old 2017-10-13, 12:22   Link #1226
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The US tax system is not driving companies out of the country. Yes, the nominal rate of corporate income tax in the US is higher than the rates in many OECD nations, but what matters is the "effective" rate after deductions and writeoffs. The effective rate is considerably lower and not out of line with our peers.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...able-countries

Globalization has a lot more to do with corporate off-shoring than taxes. I'd bet most off-shoring decisions reflect comparative labor costs far more than comparative rates of taxation.

Hope you're not too close to the fires, Ithekro!
Here is something related

https://www.ecommercechris.com/amazo...sty-need-know/

Here we have a situation where the government is afraid of taxing Amazon.
Shows you how much influence a company can have.

I think corporate interest are definitely behind the proposed GOP tax cut.
That, and deregulation.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 12:43   Link #1227
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think corporate interest are definitely behind the proposed GOP tax cut.
That, and deregulation.
No one said otherwise. We were talking about the relationship between corporate tax rates and off-shoring of jobs.

The sales tax issue has been around for a decade or more. I pay tax on all my Amazon purchases because the company has a physical presence here in Massachusetts. That's been the criterion for many years now.
Old 2017-10-13, 21:18   Link #1228
Key Board
Carbon

I remember the time when internet purchases didn't have sales tax, yes
but IIRC they changed things and many companies had to follow suit. Amazon just managed to delayed things longer than most
In some states like Wyoming, Amazon didn't collect sales tax until recentl
The proposed tax break is a start
I think eventually they'll push for more and more deregulation which lets local companies can "compete" with off shore sweatshops
Old 2017-10-14, 09:58   Link #1229
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I remember the time when internet purchases didn't have sales tax, yes
but IIRC they changed things and many companies had to follow suit. Amazon just managed to delayed things longer than most
In some states like Wyoming, Amazon didn't collect sales tax until recentl
The proposed tax break is a start
I think eventually they'll push for more and more deregulation which lets local companies can "compete" with off shore sweatshops
Congress exempted Internet sales from tax using the "infant industries" argument, that online retailers needed some time to get established before having to collect tax. That exemption expired.

As I said, online retailers must collect sales tax in states where they have physical facilities. I'm not surprised to hear that Amazon had no facilities in Wyoming, a state with only 600,000 people, until recently.
Old 2017-10-15, 11:23   Link #1230
SMT
*Artist

Sooo....is the WW3 avoidable? Will they get rid of this guy before he does more damage?

It's kinda sad how it's all about damage control now to be honest. I thought the presidency was supposed to be about caring for the people...This is clearly rock bottom, if there even is a bottom at this point.

Also how high do you guys think will be the damage to the GOP's reputation after this? Will they even recover from this?
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 11:35   Link #1231
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOapps View Post
Also how high do you guys think will be the damage to the GOP's reputation after this? Will they even recover from this?
Many voters in the US don't think like this. There is a massive rift between the two parties with their supporters being extremely partisan for their respective side. They don't vote for their party because they think it is good but because it is against the other party. Therefore regardless of the damage Trump and they themselves cause to the GOP it won't shift bases too much. That's the unfortunate reality of the 2-party system.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 14:20   Link #1232
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
He had a busy day tweeting. What stood out for me the most was the following:
With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!
Can he do this? Will he do it if he can?
I don't think he can, but even if he could, I think such a move would be highly unpopular even among his voters.

Backtalking the press, and treating them like garbage in conferences is one thing, and I even respected Trump for doing that.

But for the president to actually go and shut them down would be the shittiest form of fascistic censorship. I don't care if NBC becomes the left-wing version of the Alex Jones show. Freedom of speech & of the press should always be respected, and that's something Trump fans seem to passionately agree with.
Old 2017-10-15, 16:07   Link #1233
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Freedom of speech & of the press should always be respected, and that's something Trump fans seem to passionately agree with.
They passionately agree with it only when it benefits them. The constant cries of fake news about stuff that disagrees with them and makes them look bad is what they howl to get rid of. In their eyes the news should 100% praise/support Trump 24/7. Anything less gets the label of fake news slapped on it.
Old 2017-10-15, 16:17   Link #1234
Ithekro
The Comet has Come

If anything, the media does need to regain their sense of reality and regulation. They need to report the news, not the politics of the news. Not their opinions on the news....Just the news. Go back to reporting what is going on in the world like they did before the 1980s.

Right after the election some in the media even pointed out to others in the media that they had completely ignored Middle America for most of the election season, because they didn't have major station infrastructure anyplace between New York and Los Angeles. They would go out on the streets of New York for public opinions because it didn't cost them much to just go outside. They dropped the ball and didn't go out to get the news because it was too much like work. And thus gave a very poor view of the context of the election and the views of the American as a whole, because the only got the opinions of New Yorkers and Californians for the most part. That's maybe 15% of the population, statistically. And since they basically stayed in the large cities....6%.
Old 2017-10-15, 19:39   Link #1235
Blueknight78

hmm some trump ghosts past are comming back to haunt him
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/15/po...ons/index.html
and a answer for trump desire to shutt down the cbn from a fcc member.
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politi...eet-sot-rs.cnn

and last:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...on-trump-.html
looks like peoples with "money are also start to get tired of all trump crazyness in the white house and also don't want more 3 years of crazyness.
Old 2017-10-15, 20:25   Link #1236
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
and last:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...on-trump-.html
looks like peoples with "money are also start to get tired of all trump crazyness in the white house and also don't want more 3 years of crazyness.
It isn't really surprising ( or telling) coming from Flynt. If it was coming from a big republican contributor or even some big money from the financial world, that would be much more impactful.
Old 2017-10-15, 23:43   Link #1237
Key Board
Carbon

He probably slept with an underage Russian prostitute during his visit to Russia years ago.
but that won't matter. It won't stick
Trump had several sexual harassment charges during his run, and even one rape charge that was eventually withdrawn.
Old 2017-10-16, 00:01   Link #1238
Applehell

Mueller's investigation isn't about whether he slept with a Russian prostitute or not. The only thing that would do would help further legitimatize the Dossier which info is already being corroborated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If anything, the media does need to regain their sense of reality and regulation. They need to report the news, not the politics of the news. Not their opinions on the news....Just the news. Go back to reporting what is going on in the world like they did before the 1980s.

Right after the election some in the media even pointed out to others in the media that they had completely ignored Middle America for most of the election season, because they didn't have major station infrastructure anyplace between New York and Los Angeles. They would go out on the streets of New York for public opinions because it didn't cost them much to just go outside. They dropped the ball and didn't go out to get the news because it was too much like work. And thus gave a very poor view of the context of the election and the views of the American as a whole, because the only got the opinions of New Yorkers and Californians for the most part. That's maybe 15% of the population, statistically. And since they basically stayed in the large cities....6%.
In otherwords bring back the Fairness Doctrine.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 04:22   Link #1239
Valky
Radioactive

Meanwhile at twitter :
Today, I announced our strategy to confront the Iranian regime’s hostile actions and to ensure that they never acquire a nuclear weapon.
I find it really funny that all of the involved other than Trump are defending Iran's nuclear deal, even Trump's own secretaries and advisers. First the Paris Accord, now this, good job for uniting people together and undermining your own country, fcking moron! . Why I feel there will be next one, I wonder.

Which country whose main export is "chaos" again?
Old 2017-10-16, 08:17   Link #1240
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Which country whose main export is "chaos" again?
Depend, 0nes than really do it or one than the US use that pretence to go against ?