Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-12, 11:24   Link #341
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Are you sure they are easter eggs and not....important plot points?
Well, they were presented in an easter egg-like manner, or a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of thing. But, there isn't any rule that says easter eggs (or at least things presented as such) can't be important plot points, is there?

I just didn't think they were really important, since IMO it was played for laughs (or WTF) with the contrast to Kanata's expression. Anyway, it could go either way.
Old 2010-01-12, 11:28   Link #342
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Well, they were presented in an easter egg-like manner, or a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of thing. But, there isn't any rule that says easter eggs (or at least things presented as such) can't be important plot points, is there?

I just didn't think they were really important, since IMO it was played for laughs (or WTF) with the contrast to Kanata's expression. Anyway, it could go either way.
I just thought that the first time the ghost appeared near the beginning, it looked rather humanoid, like the lightning figure.
Old 2010-01-12, 11:34   Link #343
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Spoiler for Episode 02:
Spoiler for Corections:
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 11:45   Link #344
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
Spoiler for Corections:
Dix-neuf makes me think it's a Diebuster reference, but I'm probably just thinking too much now
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 12:19   Link #345
Ansalem
Speaker

Well, I for one am still not sure what I make of this show. The background art and design is still gorgeous. The choice of setting is still something I am quite fond of. The old dilapidated building in which they reside is a nice touch. As they explore for the "ghost" more is revealed on the back story of the world as well. The base seems to have been a school back in the time of a culture now lost. All of hints about the history of the land feel whimsical yet entrancing. All of this I enjoy.

I don't mind the style of animation used for the characters. Even though it is quite different from the highly detailed setting, the juxtaposition of the two styles isn't unpleasant to the eye and the character designs themselves are simple but not unenjoyable.

However, the actually character interaction leaves me far less satisfied than what I have previously mentioned. While they do provide some explanation in the setting, it seems a bit out of place. The setup is that this is an outpost where no one ever expects anything to happen, and is often forgotten. They don't get supplies all the time and they also apparently only get young girls as trainees. Perhaps this is a wise choice to make use of fledgling volunteers where too much won't be expected of them. As a result, the writers use this excuse to make their interactions quite fluffy considering their enrollment in the military. The character archetypes seem incredibly store-bought so far. There is an uncertain new girl, a motherly leader, a strong girl, a quiet girl, and to top it off one of the most textbook examples of a tsundere you can get. I mean, at the end of the show she pulls out the line everyone uses to satirize the archetype: "I just happened to find that kind of seat, I didn't do it for you or anything..." to paraphrase. And as someone pointed out, they even go so far as to bathe together because its more fun that way! I feel that the character interaction seems too typical of a slice-of-life anime that could be in any setting and the characters (so far) too much like cardboard cut-outs to deserve such a lush and rich setting. I hope that further installments can manage to add depth that will create a much stronger show and allow the girls to move beyond their quite typical designs and interactions.
Old 2010-01-12, 22:41   Link #346
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I would have to admit though, as my first post in the Winter 2010 preview thread says, I was at that time willing to write off the series as moeblob upon just reading the preview and looking at the character screencaps. Based off that I was already concluding the show as "K-On! in the army" and was approaching the show with relative caution, hoping to some degree it would give me what I didn't get with K-On!

I saw the preview and began to suspect this was not what I assumed it to be. Similarities to other shows of the slice of life variety became evident and not as much focusing on the character eye candy and comedy antics. Heck the preview actually felt very serious and even a tad bit depressing. Once I saw the first episode I knew already that I probably shouldn't be watching this with the same expectations as with K-On!, despite again the design similarities, because they felt like two very different and discernable animals.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 08:14   Link #347
Roardel

It’s pitiful for Sora no Woto to be compared with K-ON!, the best TV anime series in 2009.
But I think Sora no Woto is not so bad, even one of the best series of 2010 winter season.

By the way, the last second of the trailer of the 3rd episode on the official site (http://www.sorawoto.com/theater/yokoku02.html), it appears the letters “Tsuyu no Sora, Hari no Niji”, or “The Sky of the Rainy Season, the Rainbow Made of Cut Glasses”.

What’s that?
Is it the former subtitle of 3rd episode? Helvetia has rainy season? Or it’s a metaphor of Kanata’s illness?
I want to know.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 12:49   Link #348
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I feel that the character interaction seems too typical of a slice-of-life anime that could be in any setting and the characters (so far) too much like cardboard cut-outs to deserve such a lush and rich setting. I hope that further installments can manage to add depth that will create a much stronger show and allow the girls to move beyond their quite typical designs and interactions.
Based on some of the flashbacks in the first episode, I have to think we're going to get some more depth to the characters as we go. And the legend in the first episode is dripping with foreshadowing for how the last couple episodes may go (although hoping it'll end differently this time). But yeah, Kureha couldn't have been a more stereotypical tsundere...having said that, I'm always entertained by the type, so doesn't really bother me personally.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 14:40   Link #349
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

For someone with my tastes, it's really impossible not to like this series. There's that sense of warmth and friendship that keeps me watching, no matter what.

If episode 1 served as a general introduction of the setting, of Kanata and Rio's presentation, and seeding mysteries for a likely future use; episode 2 didn't step much further and focused a lot on a character previously ignored, Kureha, other than that it introduced the remaining two characters and explained the girls' situation, tasks and surroundings. I can't deny this isn't a fast pacing, but also remember you don't really grow attached to characters if you don't get to know them well enough, so personally I'm happy this way.

There's also much more, as mentioned by nearly everybody: such clear, colorful, brilliant, visually stunning backgrounds and landscapes in general are very hard to see in anime. I'm really amazed because such a work pays off, it always feels like you're there. It's a feeling I generally get in Ghibli movies, such as Laputa, Kiki or Totoro. Plus, the european setting totally drags me in. (as far as I know, Helvetia should be Switzerland. Normally In Switzerland people speak three languages, depending on the zones: french, german and italian. So I'll take it that this is French Switzerland)

I try to not think too much at the similarities with K-On, which for me kinda stop at the character designs and at the fact this is a slice of life show with only female as main characters. The animations instead remind me more of Kannagi, particularly in some close ups or crazy fast gestures. The ED itself is not so different, in its concept, to the famous Kannagi OP, and guess what they're both sung by... Nagi-sama.

Speaking of the ED, I really love it, it's so catchy and playful, with great arrangements and melody, yet not entirely silly if you look at the lyrics. Since last summer (Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari) I haven't found myself so much hooked by a single song. As a personal note, I find it astounding that it is sung by my favourite seiyuu of 2009, Tomatsu Haruka; much like King Midas, everything she touches turns into gold.

Now I'm curious on how they're going to handle this. First it would be important to know how much this series will last, but generally (almost always) winter series are no longer than 1 cour. So let's see when they'll start to deepen the focus on the legends mentioned in episode 1, on the issues revealed in ep.2, while contemporarily bringing ahead the relationships. I see great potential here, let's just hope it can become fruitful.
Old 2010-01-13, 15:44   Link #350
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The second episode was somehow better than the first...odd. I found the ghost hunt interesting..both for the ghosts and the setting. Finding out little pieces of the show, the history and how things are now, through exploration rather than someone beating you over the head with dialogue constantly is refreshing.

The characters (despite some very obvious categorizing) are warm and friendly. They all play off of each other really well and despite those obvious personality traits feel unique in their own way.

Despite the similarities to other shows, the one I find myself most comparing it to would be Haibane Renmei. Who knows how this will play out over future episodes but I'm more than happy with sticking with the series if this kind of quality keeps up.

On another note, the music is great. Understated but there when it needs to be. The orchestrated piece at the end was beautiful.
Old 2010-01-13, 18:41   Link #351
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

I believe that someone mentioned earlier being more interested in the backstory and setting than in the characters, and I have to say that after the second episode, I'm feeling the same way.

I don't dislike the characters or anything, and actually some of the things that bugged me about them and their place in the story were cleared up a bit to make me less bothered, but overall, they just don't really grab me or anything. Well, actually, I like Noel, but she feels like the only one I haven't seen a million times before (and I suspect that's likely only because she didn't get a lot of focus time, and when she was, she was sleeping).

Really, if it weren't for the pretty, I kind of wish this were a history book about Helvetia instead. But I don't guess a novel would be as satisfying, without the scenery and music.

Also, question: the book that Kanata and Kureha found, was there any kind of significance to the title or was it just a typical book you'd find in that kind of place? I haven't the foggiest what was written on it.

Also also: clarification regarding the names of the other provinces, or whatever they're called. In the lists I saw, "vinot" was missing an equivalence - it looked to me like there was a descender on the 'o' on the map, in which case it would likely be "vingt" - 'twenty'. I mean, if anyone was bothered by the blank.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 19:49   Link #352
Falkor

some freebies from episode 02:

Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 20:39   Link #353
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Gonna borrow this one for a bit before it's claimed. ^^
Old 2010-01-13, 22:04   Link #354
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Totally not on the topic of much else, but falkor's avatar post really brought it home to me:

I hate Kanata's hairstyle. It's this subtle irritant when I look at her, so that I don't really consciously notice how annoying it is, but the block of Kanatas (amongst the Kurehas and Noels) made it impossible to ignore. I want to take some shears to her hair and give it a good trim, or pin the right side back like the left side is, or something. It's just such an awkward hairstyle.

I have, in the past, been unable to watch more than a handful of episodes of otherwise perfectly good shows because a central character's hairstyle was too annoying, so it's not like I only just noticed that anime hair gets drawn strangely. And at least the one lock isn't a magical one that is always drawn the same way in her face, no matter which angle she's viewed from. (I always want to tackle those characters with a comb, tbh. I'm the same way irl with people whose hair is in their faces.)

But, anyway, so, did Kanata cut her hair herself with a pair of hedge clippers in the dark in a windstorm or something?
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 22:34   Link #355
Eater of All
NOM

Count me as a +1 to the ARIA resemblance camp, especially seeing how Sora no Woto's main focus is apparently to develop its fictional world through the eyes of an optimistic girl. The way Kanata's (and possibly everybody else's) current culture have evolved so much that they can no longer read their old writing or recognize their old systems makes the exploration pretty intriguing too, like some kind of quest to rediscover a lost civilization. Yet at the same time it's a little depressing to realize that this very civilization happens to be their past, the very grounds their ancestors walked on, now devastated by a war that destroyed so much of history.

As for ep2, I don't mind a tsundere Kureha as long as a certain Kitamura Eri is voicing her. I think the school bit was an interesting mirror to reflect this world's current time period too; it's amusing to think what exactly teenagers like they do if they don't go to school en masse like in the old days.
Old 2010-01-13, 22:43   Link #356
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I am close to dropping this. I can't stand the protagonist and her super positive view on the world. Plus I don't like Rio's voice. I don't think it fits the character. I like the voice actress, she was great in Nyan Koi, but it just doesn't fit.
Old 2010-01-14, 00:04   Link #357
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Hee-hee, I'll be grabbing this if you don't mind ;]
Thanx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Well, I for one am still not sure what I make of this show. The background art and design is still gorgeous. The choice of setting is still something I am quite fond of. The old dilapidated building in which they reside is a nice touch. As they explore for the "ghost" more is revealed on the back story of the world as well. The base seems to have been a school back in the time of a culture now lost. All of hints about the history of the land feel whimsical yet entrancing. All of this I enjoy.

I don't mind the style of animation used for the characters. Even though it is quite different from the highly detailed setting, the juxtaposition of the two styles isn't unpleasant to the eye and the character designs themselves are simple but not unenjoyable.

However, the actually character interaction leaves me far less satisfied than what I have previously mentioned. While they do provide some explanation in the setting, it seems a bit out of place. The setup is that this is an outpost where no one ever expects anything to happen, and is often forgotten. They don't get supplies all the time and they also apparently only get young girls as trainees. Perhaps this is a wise choice to make use of fledgling volunteers where too much won't be expected of them. As a result, the writers use this excuse to make their interactions quite fluffy considering their enrollment in the military. The character archetypes seem incredibly store-bought so far. There is an uncertain new girl, a motherly leader, a strong girl, a quiet girl, and to top it off one of the most textbook examples of a tsundere you can get. I mean, at the end of the show she pulls out the line everyone uses to satirize the archetype: "I just happened to find that kind of seat, I didn't do it for you or anything..." to paraphrase. And as someone pointed out, they even go so far as to bathe together because its more fun that way! I feel that the character interaction seems too typical of a slice-of-life anime that could be in any setting and the characters (so far) too much like cardboard cut-outs to deserve such a lush and rich setting. I hope that further installments can manage to add depth that will create a much stronger show and allow the girls to move beyond their quite typical designs and interactions.
I feel the same way as you.
I don't hate the show or anything. I'm just not sold on it....yet. I'll give this series 1 or 2 more episodes to see where I stand upon this. Maybe I'm asking too early but I want more than just fluff. I want more than just your everyday moe stereotypes. With animation & music as beautiful as this, I really want to see this series succeed in some other way rather than being known as that K-ON/Kannagi look-alike-but-with-guns anime. Or maybe my expectations are too high

About episode 2, it was good. It did what it had to do and it was enjoyable to watch. And I hope Kureha tones her voice down a bit because all that yelling and shrieking really made my ears bleed. Typical of a tsun-tsun of course -sigh-

And that is one awesome owl.
I think it's quite cute.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 00:31   Link #358
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Also, question: the book that Kanata and Kureha found, was there any kind of significance to the title or was it just a typical book you'd find in that kind of place? I haven't the foggiest what was written on it.

Also also: clarification regarding the names of the other provinces, or whatever they're called. In the lists I saw, "vinot" was missing an equivalence - it looked to me like there was a descender on the 'o' on the map, in which case it would likely be "vingt" - 'twenty'. I mean, if anyone was bothered by the blank.
The book is titled:
"Modern language - revised version" Basically a Japanese language textbook that is clearly by japanese for japenese. Not a 'learn japanese' for foreigners.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 06:14   Link #359
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Fun stuff can be found here: http://soranowoto.wikia.com/wiki/So_Ra_No_Wo_To_Wiki. This wiki contains speculation and archives.

@keri, about that hair...

Spoiler for future episodes:
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 06:30   Link #360
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Fun stuff can be found here: http://soranowoto.wikia.com/wiki/So_Ra_No_Wo_To_Wiki. This wiki contains speculation and archives.

@keri, about that hair...

Spoiler for future episodes:
If this is true then... one of my possible predicted outcomes would likely come true, which is both awesome but also rather disheartening.

Oh well time will tell. Kanata didn't think she'd only be blowing the horn in the army did she?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life