Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2018-11-09, 23:48   Link #11081
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
So.does this video seem to imply Setsuna returns to Earth before the 50 year time skip?
He isn’t fused with the ELS so assuming that’s an accurate representation of physical him then yes they seem to be retconning that small part of 00N.

The real world that Neil describes is also seemingly still a bad place so I suspect it hasn’t reached the peaceful-like status of the Epilogue. With the ELS staying there after a pretty bad first contact conflict and the sudden emergence of Innovators, I suspect things will be rough to put it mildly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
So....are they seriously gonna revive Neil? And what will happen after that? Feldt just gonna come back to him instantly?
If they do indeed revive Neil, I suspect it’s going to be a mental QBW revival inside Setsuna more than anything. Which is admittedly is still a big stretch but also wouldn’t be the first time we see a “personality” survive due to GN Particles since I recall from background materials that Setsuna’s personality/memory himself survive the ELS attack by placing himself in a seperate “quantum brain” outside his body. Mind you this would still be a big big stretch regardless seeing as Neil is normal.

That said, Neil being showered by GN Particles as he was floating in his death scene - and more importantly - used Trans Am in a fight not long before his death, that leaves an opening in the story of sorts even if it’s a really really really small one.

In any case, I wouldn’t read too much into it. This being the teaser of an AU project seven and the half years after it’s last animated entry, they likely wanted to say something big just to get people talking. Not unlike how they made Setsuna say “Ribbons Almark!” in one of the early movie teasers and showed off his clone in the later trailers that ultimately came about to nothing.

For all we know, Setsuna was mad that they gave Exia to Graham and considered it the ultimate “I don’t want to live anymore” betrayal.
Old 2018-11-10, 00:06   Link #11082
Chosen_Hero

The movie is the worst thing that ever happened to 00, I will definitely will not be watching the continuation, every bit of news you discuss only seems to get worse.

Let me know when they retcon movie and all the alien bullshit.
Old 2018-11-10, 01:18   Link #11083
B214

^They won't retcon it. They already made Graham part ELS after all.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 05:06   Link #11084
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
So.does this video seem to imply Setsuna returns to Earth before the 50 year time skip?
It implies nothing good for the 00 franchise is what it does.
Old 2018-11-10, 22:07   Link #11085
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
I don't even know what is this....

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I see 00's tripping balls now... Just found out today that it may get a sequel and I was initially hyped, but after seeing this trailer/teaser, I'm not sure if I want a sequel for this anymore.

Considering that 00 is hands down my favourite series in the franchise, I don't think my heart can take it if it gets a shit sequel that tramples all over my fond memories.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 23:11   Link #11086
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
In any case, I wouldn’t read too much into it. This being the teaser of an AU project seven and the half years after it’s last animated entry, they likely wanted to say something big just to get people talking. Not unlike how they made Setsuna say “Ribbons Almark!” in one of the early movie teasers and showed off his clone in the later trailers that ultimately came about to nothing.
I'll pray that it's what's happening here. I'm okay with the movie, I'm okay with the ELS alien, but literally bringing back the soul of a dead character is kinda iffy. I'm okay if Neil only comes back as a ghost though. We have many ghosts & spirits in UC Gundam, many of them are my favorite characters .
Old 2018-11-11, 08:19   Link #11087
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It implies nothing good for the 00 franchise is what it does.
Go on.

The thing that initially bugged me was Lockon being in a type limbo purgatory. However....seeing as Graham Aker's consciousness was floating in space after he died, and got fucking resurrected, then it's now possible for the same thing to happen to Lockon I guess.

I call bullshit on Setsuna saying she doesn't want to live in this world anymore. Sounds like he's fucking giving up, he wouldn't do that.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 23:49   Link #11088
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well my random decision to rewatch Gundam 00 and stop by this sub-forum for the first time in a while lead to some surprises. I kind of figured Gundam 00 was done for good after the last movie. Although I will admit it is probably my favorite of the more recent Gundam series. Would have to go back a good while to find one I liked more. S1 was great. S2 was still really good in my mind (minus say the last battle being drowned out by that singing portion). The movie...it had some moments. I know introducing aliens really crossed the line for some, but considering where the show went as a whole I could appreciate going there.

Will admit I'm curious what is going on with all this. Honestly Neil's death was a great moment of S1 and a hard hitting one. I'd hope they aren't going to just resurrect him. Although hardly the first time Gundam has said "screw it we're bringing him back." Hello Mu la Flaga. Bringing him back as a ghost figure could be cool. Straight up resurrecting him would be pushing it, but hey if everything else is entertaining then I can appreciate having him back.

Part of me would love to see more Gundam 00. Age had issues, Iron-Blooded Orphans had some good parts although I didn't really love the show, and Reconguista.....was a thing. Yeah, might as well go back to 00 and see if they can do something cool.
Old 2018-11-12, 04:07   Link #11089
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
The thing that initially bugged me was Lockon being in a type limbo purgatory. However....seeing as Graham Aker's consciousness was floating in space after he died, and got fucking resurrected, then it's now possible for the same thing to happen to Lockon I guess.
Not the same thing exactly. Graham was in the middle of being assimilated when the Quantum Field of Qan(T) hit him and enabled him to communicate to Setsuna. He technically wasn’t resurrected, he just never physically died to begin with.

Setsuna guided him to taking the assimilation in an accepting manner which allowed him to become a hybrid and be one with the ELS, as opposed to the non-synchronized version that well...... kills you since the ELS doesn’t understand individuality at that point.

He also wasn’t the only one that went through this, many others did and we knew this years ago from the 00N chapters. It’s just that only recently where Graham was confirmed to be the ones of those that did.

The difference here is that there is a physical way for Graham to live which fits within the known realms and abilities of the ELS. There is stretching involved but it involves him surviving the crash and allowing the ELS to keep him alive which is not beyond the scope of their abilities in the show. It wouldn’t the first time he survived an explosion in space vacuum that “seemingly” killed him either.

By contrast, Lockon is just dead. There is no ELS to keep him physically alive. From a writing perspective, bringing him back will be much harder to justify based on existing lore ability. Possible but really really really hard.

==========

The best I can think off within known material, like I explained already in the previous post, is that Lockon unconsciously made a “quantum brain” that is separate from his body before he died just like Setsuna did in the ELS attack. Setsuna only survived his initial brain damage in the movie because he did this . Lockon will then need to find a body somehow......probabaly Setsuna’s based on his offer to trade in the teaser.

Maybe a part of Lockon survived and transferred into Setsuna due to the GN Particle fields as he was the only friend that was physically nearby during his death. It would also redefine a little on Setsuna’s visions of him in S2 not as dreams or hallucinations but part of Lockon’s personality inside him. And who knows maybe a little bit of that X-Factor (or whatever that helps Setsuna be more leaderlike in S2) integrated into Setsuna might also be the thing that make Feldt attracted to him.

And the only way Lockon could have possibly gained the ability to do this “quantum brain@ is due to his exposure to GN Particles while floating beside the GN Arms as well as the Trans Am Particles he used from his fight in the UN Army since Trans Am specifically is the special factor that causes Innovation to happen).

Mind you, I’m not disagreeing it will be a big big big stretch one way or the other. More of a mental challenge to see how they can possibly write this in based on existing abilities if they do decide to bring him back.

Still as I write this, I find myself liking the idea of a part of Lockon’s spirit/personality/data literally surviving inside Setsuna more and more appealing. I’m not for a full revival or personality swap but the idea that a part of him literally inside Setsuna and guiding him to be a sweet plot line that integrates well with Setsuna’s evolution in Season 2 (including Feldt’s attraction).

Last edited by SonicSP; 2018-11-13 at 11:11.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-20, 23:34   Link #11090
Twi

...We sure they're not just bringing Lock-on back because he was awesome in Season 1?

I mean, if he's coming back then why not the other members of CB that got killed. That half-cyborg and girl who died when they're ship blew up, Lock-on 2's girlfriend, etc.

Moreover, where will they go from an alien invasion in a new season? ELS is mostly non-hostile now, I think, and we saw an epilogue in the movie.
Old 2018-11-28, 03:59   Link #11091
devilo96

Dammit..i try to rewatch gundam 00..yup the last eps..is still good..i mean..i wish new gundam series..can have a good epic fight like 00 last eps...kinda miss the old days...when gundam can still have a epic fight and epic music like invoke,honoo no tobira,and etc

Last edited by devilo96; 2018-11-28 at 04:27.
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 13:36   Link #11092
ArmorPilot

It's funny, I'm halfway through season 1 of 00 and it's been good fun looking back through old discussions. I'm pre-spoiled on a couple big things, but that's to be expected for an older show. I appreciate the politics and tactics, and the Mecha action is excellent. I've always loved the more practical tanky/fighter looking designs than the more super robot ones.

Even though Tieria I want to Bright slap at times, it's still better than the wangst pit of SEED.
ArmorPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-25, 11:45   Link #11093
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^00 is imo the best main Gundam series post-2000, with Unicorn being a solid second and IBO takes third place.

If we're including spinoffs, then the first Build Fighters series is more or less equal to 00.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-25, 12:02   Link #11094
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorPilot View Post
Even though Tieria I want to Bright slap at times, it's still better than the wangst pit of SEED.
I really don't get such criticism. Your "Wangst"-label toward SEED indicates that the characters in SEED are being particularly angsty for something trivial or something unworthy of deep thought and concern. But the things that the SEED characters faced in the anime are mostly real problems within life-&-death/kill-or-be-killed situations. They certainly have all the rights to be concerned and even being depressed. It's human nature.

Now, SEED Destiny is another story.
Old 2018-12-25, 13:06   Link #11095
ArmorPilot

The super Japanese story beat of, "Young pure pilot seeks to end war without killing" is something I dislike in general. It works in Unicorn because the nature of the story/fate of the world doesn't pivot upon Links defeating Full Frontal, it's a chase story with real soldiers on both side doing most of the heavy lifting. The war was decided long ago, Unicorn is about picking up the pieces.

Destiny amplified the problems of SEED, but right around the Orb arc, I started having a lot of the same complaints as Destiny.

00 has not only political considerations, light though they are, but the pilots don't entertain the fantasy they can accomplish their goals without fighting. And the extra bonus is that the protagonists' goal of global unification and world peace, may not even be on the right side. Something multiple characters point out.

It's a personal taste thing, but after going through the full series of VOTOMs and its OVAs, its hard to come back to the naivety of non-UC Gundam. :P
Old 2018-12-25, 16:59   Link #11096
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorPilot View Post
00 has not only political considerations, light though they are, but the pilots don't entertain the fantasy they can accomplish their goals without fighting.
Those were never the point of SEED characters. On the contrary, the TSA faction protag at the second half of SEED were willing to fight their way in the middle of the huge war between EA & ZAFT to achieve their goal of stopping the WMDs of both sides (the nukes & GENESIS) from destroying both PLANTs & Earth.

Also, what you describe above is still not wangst.
Old 2018-12-26, 08:39   Link #11097
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Spoiler for Spoilers 00:

Last edited by SonicSP; 2018-12-26 at 09:01.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 12:43   Link #11098
ArmorPilot

I would say it is the more reachable goal of, "walk softly, and carry a big stick."
Old 2018-12-26, 18:10   Link #11099
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Glad to see another one who enjoyed 00. As someone who didn't really get into UC, 00 is still my favourite Gundam to date, followed by IBO. Having actual militaries being outmatched by OP Gundams is fine by me, but they learned from their mistakes and weren't cannon fodder all the time unlike a lot of other Gundams. That's not to say things were perfect or even not eyeball rolling worthy (yeah I'm not going to see a Middle Eastern Country ruled by a female in my lifetime), but seeing it as a much less idealistic Gundam Wing, 00 really is the story I wanted Wing to have been (barring 00 movies XD).

SEED personally wasn't bad (Fllay as the 'whore' heroine is something you don't see even to this day), but Destiny just went full Kira "Jesus" Yamato for me to ever like it (complete with his 'death' and miraculous 'resurrection' days later XD).

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 19:57   Link #11100
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
That's not to say things were perfect or even not eyeball rolling worthy (yeah I'm not going to see a Middle Eastern Country ruled by a female in my lifetime), ...
You might be right about not seeing a Middle Eastern country ruled by woman in our lifetime. But given the setting of Azadistan (liberal Islam vs. conservative Islam) where the liberal Islam party becomes the ruler, I can see a hijab-less muslim woman like Marina Ismail being its leader. I mean, my country has the most muslim population in the world yet we had a hijab-less muslim female president. If Marina was the leader of the liberal faction, opposite of her was Al-Imam Rasa Mas'ud Rakhmadi as the leader of the conservative faction who was portrayed as a reasonable, logical & noble leader which is pretty surprising for me when I expected an anime to portray a character like him in a more negative manner. That's definitely a pleasant surprise.

Tags
spoilers