AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-02-01, 10:59   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 893 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "36th daughter of the Charlotte family, Frampe". Ministory involves Leo's crew further inspecting their new ship, which is named "Usoland" after their savior.

-Luffy is in agony from the previous chapter's wound, but he's still standing. However.... it turns out that the reason he was unable to dodge Katakuri's attack was because he took a surprise attack from Frampe, who shot him with a needle! After getting up, he has another brief flashback of his training with Rayleigh. The 36th Charlotte daughter shoots at the rubber man again, but this time he's able to dodge it with observation haki. It's at this point that Katakuri, who was at first disappointed with his opponent's performance, figures out the truth, and approaches his younger sister. Frampe expects to be showered with praise from her big brother for helping, but instead Katakuri is disappointed, telling her that she shouldn't interfere in a bout between men. In his anger, the commander even exposes his mouth!

-And things only get more shocking from there: In order to put himself on equal footing with Luffy, Katakuri stabs himself in the chest with his own spear!!! It's now Frampe who is disappointed, who spits her gum in her brother's face and says she refuses to acknowledge him as her big brother anymore. Apparently, Katakuri has a brief flashback where people called him a monster/pelican eel because of his mouth, then flashes a smile afterwards. However, the enraged sister only threatens to spread pictures of his exposed face all over the country, while her minions take photos. Kata doesn't seem to care about this, and instead apologizes to Luffy. However, the rubber man shrugs it off, saying that fairness doesn't exist in a battle between pirates, and it was his own fault for being unable to dodge. The both of them then unleash a blast of their conqueror's haki, knocking out everyone around them, Frampe included!

-Now with no more distractions between the two, Katakuri rips off his shirt and takes a boxing stance, telling Luffy that he's no longer underestimating him. The younger pirate is thankful for his opponent's words, and puts up his own dukes, as well....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-02-02 at 07:25.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-01, 11:44   Link #2
SilverGlavenus

Katakuri is so cool. Recruit him please, or at least make him an ally, or let him have an honorable death.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-01, 13:55   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Frampe worst imouto. Katakuri, on the other hand, is turning out to be a great guy. His past sounds similar to Pudding's, and just like her, he's starting to accept himself after interacting with a Straw Hat. I can see him leaving the Charlotte family after this to go on his own adventure.
Old 2018-02-01, 18:50   Link #4
bonsobon

Wonder how long it's been since I last posted? Anyway three things I took away from the synopsis:

1) Katakuri has conquerors haki. Not unexpected but nice to have confirmation.

2) His self inflicted wound to put himself on an equal footing with Luffy. Reminds me of Bleach when Ichigo offered to cut off his own arm in his fight with Ulquiorra, after his berserk self ripped off the others' arm. I remember people saying Ichigo was being stupid for making the offer so how will Katakuris' actions be viewed I wonder?

3) During their fight, before he took his snack time, Katakuri told Luffy he never underestimated him from the beginning. Now in this chapter he tells him he's no longer underestimating him, implying he was. So which is it? Either way it's inconsistent.
bonsobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-01, 22:12   Link #5
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Wonder how long it's been since I last posted? Anyway three things I took away from the synopsis:

1) Katakuri has conquerors haki. Not unexpected but nice to have confirmation.

2) His self inflicted wound to put himself on an equal footing with Luffy. Reminds me of Bleach when Ichigo offered to cut off his own arm in his fight with Ulquiorra, after his berserk self ripped off the others' arm. I remember people saying Ichigo was being stupid for making the offer so how will Katakuris' actions be viewed I wonder?

3) During their fight, before he took his snack time, Katakuri told Luffy he never underestimated him from the beginning. Now in this chapter he tells him he's no longer underestimating him, implying he was. So which is it? Either way it's inconsistent.
Okay so here are my take on your points:

1. Yeah, it's surprising to see how Katakuri also has Conqueror's haki. But it is expected since he is the son of Big Mom and the strongest amongst the generals. White Beard's sons are technically adopted so they do not possess the bloodline of WB, and we have seen the Monkey D. family.

2. I think the two fights are basically different. Katakuri has the upperhand all along but he put himself on equal grounds with Luffy, because others interfere with the match. In Ichigo's case, he was no match for Ulquiorra, except for his berserk form. So it makes no sense if he offered to cut off his own arm, cause it further put him at a greater disadvantage, and there was no one that interfered with the fight. So I think Katakuri made a noble choice there, though it may cost him greatly.

3. It could be inconsistency. Or it could be Katakuri estimated Luffy for what he had displayed till that point. And upon seeing Flampe's actions, he realized there is more to Luffy than he thought.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 00:51   Link #6
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

What the hell, I like Katakuri now?!

You've done it again, Oda, you evil genius!

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 01:23   Link #7
The Small One

I think this is really inconsistent. A few chapters ago he recognised Luffy as a threat to BM, which has to be killed at all cost, and now he suddenly wants to fight 'fair', even going as far as hurting himself? Is he hypoglycaemic and can't think straight anymore?
Besides: If he really wanted to keep his sister out of the fight, why didn't he step in before she did anything? He claims to be able to see the future, so he should have seen it.
Or is he the next family member to have a split personality?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 01:27   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I think that with the ship like that, Navy may not notice about Tontatta's due to the size.

The Chapter is perfect :3 Katakuri seems is a man of honor when it comes to duel.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 02:44   Link #9
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

minus point for the imouto...

and it's time for manly fight... it is another Luffy vs CP9 again
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 02:57   Link #10
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think this is really inconsistent. A few chapters ago he recognised Luffy as a threat to BM, which has to be killed at all cost, and now he suddenly wants to fight 'fair', even going as far as hurting himself? Is he hypoglycaemic and can't think straight anymore?
Besides: If he really wanted to keep his sister out of the fight, why didn't he step in before she did anything? He claims to be able to see the future, so he should have seen it.
Katakuri is exhausted from fighting Luffy, his mind and body clearly disintegrating from clear thought now, it's not wonder why he could missed his sister foresight and Luffy himself has given Katakuri extra attention with how resilient Luffy to surender.

Also, i don't found this a strange development Katakuri has shown himself being serious man with code and ethic. He respected Luffy persistent to keep fighting him that is why he does otherwise to himself.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 07:47   Link #11
marvelB

Okay, updated the summary a bit. The clash between Luffy and Katakuri is reaching its climax....!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Quote:
I think this is really inconsistent. A few chapters ago he recognised Luffy as a threat to BM, which has to be killed at all cost, and now he suddenly wants to fight 'fair', even going as far as hurting himself?
*Shrug* Eh, it's classic shounen tradition for some villains' perspective of the hero to change over the course of a fight. Luffy gained Katakuri's respect, so he's repaying the favor. Though, unlike itachi-san has been saying for the past few threads, I strongly doubt this will result in Katakuri ending the fight with a truce and agreeing to train him..... both parties are clearly determined to see this fight through to the end, after all. I can see him becoming something of a future ally, though (especially when it comes to that final war that's been hinted at)....

Also, for what it's worth, in the translation I read, Katakuri says he no longer considers Luffy to be "beneath his level". So rather than not underestimating him, it's more like he acknowledges him as an equal, perhaps?

Quote:
Is he hypoglycaemic and can't think straight anymore?
Hey, I thought we all agreed that Big Mom was the only crazy diabetic around here!
Old 2018-02-02, 08:44   Link #12
Twi

I'm kind of fluxing. On the one hand, I liked Katakuri being ruthless and taking advantage of the situation. On the other, I could see where the respect came from since they've been doing this for hours.

Either way, I really should have seen the thing with bubble butt coming. She didn't care whether or not he liked her, only that she got declared the most popular.
Old 2018-02-02, 13:34   Link #13
itachi-san314

Looks like Dogtooth and Luffy are one step closer to Awakening training

Quote:
Like marvelB said, it's pretty commonplace for a snooty villain to take a shine to someone "beneath" them after they can take their best shots in a fight. OP does this type of character development often. E.g. Kuma & Hancock changed their tunes after seeing Luffy or Zoro's resolve during fights/confrontations. Hancock literally wanted to publicly execute Luffy until his resolve to help others during the fight eventually won her over. Hers was an even bigger change than Dogtooth's (as far as we've seen anyway).

I'm still predicting that we will eventually see Luffy & Dogtooth enjoying food together, even if a little reluctant. Aside from BM of course, Dogtooth might be the only person capable of eating as much as Luffy.

Quote:
Yea, that was weird at first. I guess he saw Luffy failing in the future but he didn't know why since the weapons were silent and from a hidden location. It's one of the only ways to trick his foresight.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 14:26   Link #14
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Again, not paying attention.

People are forgetting that one of the main themes of the Whole Cake Island arc is false identity and thinking for yourself, DT like Pudding has been treated like a freak in his childhood and was never himself and was just being used by his mother.

Now he is becoming self aware, and will most likely even leave BM like Lola and Chiffon did and most likely Pudding.

Also he didn’t know his sister was even there until he heard her, he was exhausted like Luffy was and missed the shot his sister fired and only noticed Luffy slipping up.

Seriously every one of your comments is just you making baseless arguments and complaining for the sake of complaining.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 22:05   Link #15
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i hope conqueror's haki doesn't become like super saiyan where EVERYONE gets it or it's so common...
Old 2018-02-02, 22:43   Link #16
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
On Conquerer's haki... it should be no surprise that someone like Katakuri has it. I believe that it was Doflamingo who said it- the New World is full of people who have Conquerer's Haki, since this is the point where everyone has a strong desire to become Pirate King, otherwise they wouldn't be able to last in this part. So expect to see a lot more high-level characters that will be able to use it, not just the Emperors.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 22:45   Link #17
marvelB

To be honest though, I do feel a bit bad for Katakuri.... to have one of his sisters (and several followers) instantly turn on him after practically worshiping him for years can't be good for the self-esteem, even if he's ignoring them now. I mean, I know the blame mainly lies with Frampe's gang for being so shallow in the first place, but still. On the other hand, maybe he'll get along better with Pudding now since she has a similar issue, as was already pointed out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i hope conqueror's haki doesn't become like super saiyan where EVERYONE gets it or it's so common...
In all fairness, we haven't really seen that many characters who use conqueror's haki.... and the ones who do mainly consist of the NW's experts. I wouldn't expect that to be a commonplace thing, especially since haki itself is an uncommon power to begin with.
Old 2018-02-03, 05:21   Link #18
necrolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
What the hell, I like Katakuri now?!

You've done it again, Oda, you evil genius!
^Exactly same thought, I like how Katakuri's character is starting to feel more real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
On Conquerer's haki... it should be no surprise that someone like Katakuri has it. I believe that it was Doflamingo who said it- the New World is full of people who have Conquerer's Haki, since this is the point where everyone has a strong desire to become Pirate King, otherwise they wouldn't be able to last in this part. So expect to see a lot more high-level characters that will be able to use it, not just the Emperors.
I agree with you, we should expect atleast the top 1-2 fighters of every emperor to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Looks like Dogtooth and Luffy are one step closer to Awakening training
Finally, I am starting to think you might actually be right , even if I still think that the chances are quite slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I'm still predicting that we will eventually see Luffy & Dogtooth enjoying food together, even if a little reluctant.
This is quite posible to happen seeing how things are turning now.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-03, 06:45   Link #19
Ultragunner

aside from the awesomeness of this chapter, I'm having a blast seeing the reactions from the youtube manga reviewer

and many of them are still struggling to grasp the "imouto character" in Flambe
Old 2018-02-03, 09:42   Link #20
Twi

Tekking's doing an alright job, I think.