AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2018-12-29, 00:11   Link #61
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Outdated? Collecting resource for progression is still as recent as the last Soulslike game. And by all accounts of people who have played the demo said the number of Orbs you earn per mission have drastically increase, not to mention the inclusion of Orb generating equipment like the Faust Hat.
The Souls comparison is a poor analogy considering the Souls and Blood Echoes provide some degree of customization with builds and weapons depending on which stats you invest, while the DMC cast's kit has been entirely linear since 4 and just wants you to get every ability.

Quote:
I think a lot of people just have a misconception about power progression in DMC either because they are thinking of it in terms of an RPG or they just haven’t been exposed to a time before Dark Souls (lol)

1) DMC still gates their power progression through story mode. Meaning the Devs have control over what kind of power you will have at any given time in the game. Meaning you physically can’t get that OP devil breaker until they want you to get it.

2) because you can buy whichever skills of a power (provided you unlocked it in the story) they would have to design each encounters assuming you have any and every available power at your disposal. Meaning even if you have real impact with Balrog as soon as you get it, it’s all being factored into their plan.

Essentially if the Devs are doing their job it’s impossible for you to progress beyond what they have intended.
It's precisely because your progression is still gated by the story that further gating it with red orbs is superfluous and poor design.

Clearly unlocking abilities isn't intrinsically tied to the game's progression design either, since there is no limit to the amount of orbs you can purchase, allowing you to potentially unlock every ability from the get go.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-01, 15:52   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Doesn't V stand for Vergil? Anyway, on the matter of orb grinding, having played a ton of games, I think the best solution is what team Ninja did in Nioh: you might need 7 billion exp to get from LV699 to LV700, but it is easily grindable in less than 5 minutes (albeit in the DLC campaign, which essentially also doubles the level limit), in contrast to souls games where raising stats after a certain threshold is just a pain in the NG++++++++++ ass.

I don't consider DMC a grindy game - I do a blind run on normal, get at least 90% done in hard and then hit DMD for perfect runs, at which point I have everything unlocked. What I DO mind is the press-and-hold function for angel/demon weapons and how awkward it is to combo properly with them. DMC3's two-weapon toggle system was the best IMO.
Have you seen V's trailer?

Spoiler:
Old 2019-01-01, 15:59   Link #63
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Nope, I just went by his fighting style. I didn't give it much thought - how great of a plot twist could a DMC title offer in the first place?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-01, 19:07   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Nope, I just went by his fighting style. I didn't give it much thought - how great of a plot twist could a DMC title offer in the first place?
His fighting style is completely different from Vergil's though.

Yes, it's not like we play DMC for the story, but it has great characters and lore. I'm pretty invested in it.
Old 2019-01-02, 11:43   Link #65
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Vergil's got teleportation (on himself), conjuration (swords and demons), transposition (swords) and evocation (calls down a mini comet). Sounds a lot like all the teleporting, sword summoning, sword (and slash) shifting and fireball-throwing he did in DMC3SE, but iunno, maybe it's just me.

Gameplay aside, I've always liked the bestiary in DMC, from the very first one. It's a really nice touch to have, and helps realize that the devs didn't just make generic enemies 1 to 9, then recoloured them and said "these ones are harder!!".

Storywise, the original was the deepest one, I'd say. Probably because it was also the most serious one? DMC3 was great, but I didn't really have this sense of foreboding that came from having pretty much anything thrown at you - from Shadows and Phantom to Nelo Angelo and Griffon, they were all peristent in their chase and felt like more of a threat than, say, Credo or the savior.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 02:30   Link #66
cosmanles

Wow. I'm preparing to cosplay. I like Nero and Trish.
cosmanles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 11:29   Link #67
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Devil May Cry 5 demo is out for both PS4 and XB1 with some changes from the previous XB1 exclusive demo, adding stuff like a new Devil Breaker, a new encounter, and the ability to access Nico's van for upgrades and buying Breakers.

Also, gaming media outlets have just drop their preview impressions of the first 11 mission (practically half the game) and the verdict is unanimous- Everyone loved it.

Easy Allies' preview is the least spoilery of the bunch.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 11:49   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So this is pretty much the same demo that was released for Xbox one earlier with a few changes. I was hoping for a new demo featuring Dante this time. Oh well, the game's release isn't that far away anyway.
Old 2019-02-08, 12:59   Link #69
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

"Auto Assist"
Old 2019-02-09, 11:59   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Played the demo. Damn, I'm rusty. Makes sense since it's been a decade since I last played DMC4. It was really short but sweet. The devil breakers you can use are all pretty cool, my favorite being Punch Line.
Old 2019-02-12, 03:08   Link #71
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

When I got the demo I set aside two main objectives for myself:

1) To get comfortable with using back-forward inputs in a fight
2) To implement Ex-act into my combos

Because I've never used either of those things way back in DMC4. Now I've finally gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with both these things and gotten the first S rank that I personally felt earned.
Old 2019-03-06, 17:26   Link #72
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Looks like the game is getting good reviews. Still, prepare to ignore youtube cos the scenes are already being leaked.

Also, Bingo Morihashi wrote a prequel light novel that explains what happened to Nero between 4 and 5
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-08, 17:33   Link #73
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Old 2019-03-10, 17:58   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Played the first three missions and it's pretty good. I wasn't expecting the game to start like that, it turns out trailers didn't spoil as much as I thought. I didn't watch the final one, though.

To get back to the topic of microtransactions for a bit, it turns out they definitely make the game easier since I saw you can buy blue orbs to increase your health and if you buy red orbs you don't have to worry about running out of Devil Breakers and you can use the new continue feature as much as you want (unless there's a limit). That said, it's not like the game is hard, but then again I'm still at the beginning.
Old 2019-03-10, 19:35   Link #75
Shadow5YA

It's much easier to get an S rank, since all you have to do is not die and you get a 1.2x multiplier on your score. The scoring system and level design are also much more forgiving than DMC4, since you aren't being scored on time or your ability to stand on this one arbitrary spot in the level to get all orbs

It is however much harder to go for a no damage run, since there are more enemies that spam projectiles, making it harder to avoid.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-11, 04:16   Link #76
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Completed the campaign, now the game can truly begin

What a ride! This really is the best DMC game in my opinion, a chunky game with lots of content, depth, and replay-ability. The story was almost everything I wanted it to be and the ending gave me chills.

Would be nice if they add a few more playable characters and new enemy types down the road in a DLC or a Special Edition, but as it stands I'm perfectly content without needing a DMC6 anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It's much easier to get an S rank, since all you have to do is not die and you get a 1.2x multiplier on your score. The scoring system and level design are also much more forgiving than DMC4, since you aren't being scored on time or your ability to stand on this one arbitrary spot in the level to get all orbs

It is however much harder to go for a no damage run, since there are more enemies that spam projectiles, making it harder to avoid.
With Nero I've been getting S for the first half of the game but when I switch to Dante and especially I get knock back down to As as I have to re-learn a new character.
Old 2019-03-12, 18:01   Link #77
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mission 8 boss gave me a hard time. That was my hardest fight so far. It probably doesn't help that I've probably missed the majority of blue orbs fragments given how little I've found. My next goal will be to buy the blue orbs in Nico's shop to even things out.

As a side note, I like playing as Nero a lot more than as V.
Old 2019-03-12, 22:40   Link #78
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Mission 8 boss gave me a hard time. That was my hardest fight so far. It probably doesn't help that I've probably missed the majority of blue orbs fragments given how little I've found. My next goal will be to buy the blue orbs in Nico's shop to even things out.

As a side note, I like playing as Nero a lot more than as V.

V takes some getting used to. I replay his earlier missions 2-3 times to get the hang of it.

It's a lot of re-positioning, use the 'wrap strike' teleport to get up close to the enemy cause your demons materialize faster when you're close to it, and focus fire on a single target. It sounds obvious in hindsight but when I first got V I wasn't doing any of that.

I've also had to curb my instinct to rush in to a group of enemies, take a moment to survey the enemy.

Once you get the hang of it, V's quite fun.
Old 2019-03-16, 12:30   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
V takes some getting used to. I replay his earlier missions 2-3 times to get the hang of it.

It's a lot of re-positioning, use the 'wrap strike' teleport to get up close to the enemy cause your demons materialize faster when you're close to it, and focus fire on a single target. It sounds obvious in hindsight but when I first got V I wasn't doing any of that.

I've also had to curb my instinct to rush in to a group of enemies, take a moment to survey the enemy.

Once you get the hang of it, V's quite fun.
I did two more missions as him (the one he shares with Nero and mission 9) and he's indeed turning out to be quite fun. I hadn't noticed but it's really easy to get SSS with him compared to Nero. You don't have to do much besides using his devil trigger and rushing the enemies with Griffon and Shadow.

Finished mission 12 meaning I finally got to play as Dante. He plays mostly the same as in DMC4, so really cool. Nice story developments, too.
Old 2019-03-18, 22:52   Link #80
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Heads up, Bloody Palace free DLC on 1st April