Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-01-08, 12:56   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Anyone else thought the three guys beating up Dororo were pretty forgiving, all things considered?
Initially yeah, but by the end they were trying to kill Dororo who's still just a kid.
Old 2019-01-08, 20:12   Link #22
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Anyone else thought the three guys beating up Dororo were pretty forgiving, all things considered?
Obviously. Dororo had all the chances to get out safely in the situation.
But of course, the protagonist is like, meh, who wants to save some old men.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-08, 21:20   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Initially yeah, but by the end they were trying to kill Dororo who's still just a kid.
Not justifying their behavior by any means, but there were like four times when all Dororo had to do was just let it go and that would have been the end of it.

I think Tezuka wrote the scene this way quite intentionally because he was calling our attention to certain aspects of Dororo's character which are rather problematical.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2019-01-09 at 05:54.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 00:34   Link #24
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'd definitely see that scene as reflecting flaws in Dororo's character. He had so many chances to just walk away. But his "no one tells me what to do" attitude just kept pulling those people back in. Heck even the horse dung throwing scene while humorous shows that Dororo can't help but get in his own way.

Luckily for Dororo, the show is named after him and he has to survive. Otherwise there'd be no reason for him to be saved after the MC let 3 other people die first.

Not to say there aren't good or entertaining qualities to the kid. I'm sure a lot of the show will lean on him to bring life to it. But...he's got some real flaws that get him into more trouble than is necessary.
Old 2019-01-09, 00:54   Link #25
zztop

Word is the anime will have 24 episodes.

Given there's only 12 demons to handle (now 11), it's likely the anime won't follow a demon of the week storyline. Instead some episodes could be dedicated to other sorts of character developments or non-Hyakkimaru-related monster fights etc.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 01:47   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'd definitely see that scene as reflecting flaws in Dororo's character. He had so many chances to just walk away. But his "no one tells me what to do" attitude just kept pulling those people back in. Heck even the horse dung throwing scene while humorous shows that Dororo can't help but get in his own way.

Luckily for Dororo, the show is named after him and he has to survive. Otherwise there'd be no reason for him to be saved after the MC let 3 other people die first.

Not to say there aren't good or entertaining qualities to the kid. I'm sure a lot of the show will lean on him to bring life to it. But...he's got some real flaws that get him into more trouble than is necessary.
I'm not even sure it was a matter of Hyakkimaru letting those poor doofs die - I just think it took him that long to assess the situation and act. He's there to slay the ayakashi - I don't think saving or not saving anybody was really on his radar.
Old 2019-01-09, 02:29   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Not justifying their behavior by any means, but there were like four times when all Dororo had to do was just let it go and that would have been the end of it.

I think Tezuka wrote the scene this was quite intentionally because he was calling our attention to certain aspects of Dororo's character which are rather problematical.
Yeah. And it started with Dororo abusing those guys' kindness and trust.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 12:24   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm not really disagreeing with you guys. They were definitely really forgiving initially, and it's Dororo's rebellious and stubborn attitude that escalated things. Nevertheless, the fact remains they were about to kill a kid. I see them as gray characters. Not outright evil, but not kind either.
Old 2019-01-09, 14:54   Link #29
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That was a great premiere. This is season is looking great between this, Boogiepop and Mob Psycho. I know it's a big if, but if these three stay consistent and Love Is War and Neverland turn out to be hits as well then this season alone would surpass the entirety of TV anime in 2018 imo.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-10, 04:07   Link #30
alex_drian

Seems pretty good and is my first incursion in the story (aside of the references in Young Black Jack where Hyakkimaru becomes Cyborg) and I've heard wonders about this story but man, I have seen the old style of the animation and one that stands out with this new style is this moe Dororo.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-10, 17:36   Link #31
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Man this series blew me away. Can't wait to see the relationship beween Dororo and the samurai. However the samurai is handling that body, the animation made it incredibly fluid. The opening theme song is also quite catchy.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 00:31   Link #32
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Yeah, that was pretty cool and looked great from beginning to end. Even if it didn't have the same jab as Neverland, that's more about the type of story than anything else, and yes, that OP isn't bad at all. And it's 2 cours too? This sounds like the kind of adventure worth investing on.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 05:17   Link #33
wuhugm
Confused Shark

I have a feeling that Dororo is actually a girl
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 18:12   Link #34
Wandering Soul

I'm not familiar with the original material, but that was a pretty good start. I'm curious as to how the relationship between Hyakkimaru and Dororo will unfold. I also wonder how Hyakkimaru became such a good fighter.

I don't find the OP bad.
Old 2019-01-12, 18:15   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
I have a feeling that Dororo is actually a girl
Plot twist: So is Hyakkimaru
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-13, 22:28   Link #36
Forsaken_Infinity

Amazing first episode.

I do wish the pirates that Dororo was messing around with had been saved too though. They weren't so bad, all things considered. But yeah I also think he wasn't exactly trying to save or not save anyone. Just there to slay some evil.
Old 2019-01-13, 22:52   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think those were pirates - just dudes working as muscle on a trader caravan. Unless I misread the scene.
Old 2019-01-14, 00:43   Link #38
Forsaken_Infinity

Yeah, I just somehow jumped to "pirates" between all that load talk and them looking like brutes and proximity to water in those scenes. I suppose they were even more normal / decent people than I thought then.

But yeah Dororo didn't exactly have my sympathy there, especially when the dude lost an eye over the tantrums. I would expect a pretty vicious retribution at that point.
Old 2019-01-14, 01:02   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think that was exactly how Tezuka wanted us to feel.
Old 2019-01-14, 12:11   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
But yeah Dororo didn't exactly have my sympathy there, especially when the dude lost an eye over the tantrums. I would expect a pretty vicious retribution at that point.
He didn't actually lose his eye. You can see him opening it when he's about to be eaten. Even if he did lose his eye, that doesn't justify killing a kid and the other two going along with it.