AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-11, 20:29   Link #1481
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
The fact that he was able to do so implies that he had the head's ring... Maybe he solved the epitaph early again?
Well it does explain Maria's death, provided that she is slated to die as soon as someone solves the epitaph.
Old 2010-02-12, 00:26   Link #1482
Koi

So... Battler put the letter...
Is he an accomplice?
Old 2010-02-12, 03:19   Link #1483
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
At the beginning of Episode 5, Battler already refused to work with Bernkastel anymore, and Lambda couldn't let her use another human piece as a detective without revealing part of the mystery. Even if Piece Battler could be used to help solve the epitaph, he certainly wouldn't take most of the actions Bern wanted out of a piece either. So Bern and Lambda made an agreement to use a fantasy piece as a detective, with the understanding that Lambda would make Erika's observations "objective enough" for Bern to actually get red text related to them. However, the red text she could get was completely at the GM's discretion, which is why Lambda was able to prevent the study's windows were never opened after it started raining from being used in the study battle.

In Episode 6, it looks like Battler decided to go along with that agreement. He wanted a fight with Meta Erika, and he wasn't in any mood to let Bern play with his own piece either, so that was the only reasonable course of action. Bern did end up discarding the "detective's authority" part, which put her at a disadvantage from a mystery-solving perspective, but we already know why she did that -- she wasn't trying to solve the mystery, she was trying to kill Battler.
The problem I see is that:

Erika is the detective

This red can't be labeled as totally meaningless. Certainly Erika isn't a detective by profession, so the only possible meaning this red can have is that Erika has all the powers and authorities given to a "detective" in accordance to the mystery rules.

So I can't really think that Erika doesn't really have an objective perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi View Post
So... Battler put the letter...
Is he an accomplice?
There's no way it was Battler, there would a be an huge logic error if he was. Well maybe it should have been Battler according to GM Battler's plans, but as soon as the seal was placed on the guestroom that option was forever lost. And it goes without saying that this also applies to any of the first 6 victims.

Old 2010-02-12, 03:28   Link #1484
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The problem I see is that:

Erika is the detective

This red can't be labeled as totally meaningless. Certainly Erika isn't a detective by profession, so the only possible meaning this red can have is that Erika has all the powers and authorities given to a "detective" in accordance to the mystery rules.

So I can't really think that Erika doesn't really have an objective perspective.
But that's what I explained before. There's no rule saying that the detective can't die, and a corpse is hardly in a position to objectively observe anything. That's why Battler can observe golden butterflies after midnight on October 5th, and it's a potential explanation for why he could see Beatrice and Kinzo at the end of Episode 2. Certainly better than "he got drunk and hallucinated it."
Old 2010-02-12, 03:34   Link #1485
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
and it's a potential explanation for why he could see Beatrice and Kinzo at the end of Episode 2. Certainly better than "he got drunk and hallucinated it."
Why does no one pay attention to my rare flashes of brilliance? *sadface*

A while back I came up with the explanation that 'Piece-Battler is able to see magic at the end of Ep2 because Meta-Battler surrendered to the witch and lost his detective's authority.' I'd like to think that would wash away all the little inconsistencies present there, but everyone else at the time said him 'being drunk' was the better solution.

(As a bonus, my theory gives the entire sequence where Rosa finds a letter and throws Battler out of the parlor the possibility of being a fake scene, which I'm sure could be useful somehow. >_>)
Old 2010-02-12, 03:44   Link #1486
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Why does no one pay attention to my rare flashes of brilliance? *sadface*

A while back I came up with the explanation that 'Piece-Battler is able to see magic at the end of Ep2 because Meta-Battler surrendered to the witch and lost his detective's authority.' I'd like to think that would wash away all the little inconsistencies present there, but everyone else at the time said him 'being drunk' was the better solution.

(As a bonus, my theory gives the entire sequence where Rosa finds a letter and throws Battler out of the parlor the possibility of being a fake scene, which I'm sure could be useful somehow. >_>)
Beato promised to appear in front of Rosa and tell her that only five master keys exist if Battler completely submitted, and Beato keeps her promises. Since she never kept her end of the bargain, Battler must not have kept his.
Old 2010-02-12, 03:52   Link #1487
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Beato promised to appear in front of Rosa and tell her that only five master keys exist if Battler completely submitted, and Beato keeps her promises. Since she never kept her end of the bargain, Battler must not have kept his.
B-but my theory is so elegant!

Well, she DID later appear in front of Rosa... she just didn't get around to telling her about the master keys.

If Battler had been shot in the face by an overprotective Rosa, you might think there would have been at least some hint as to that fact. That, and he's listed as having died on the tenth twilight in the endroll, as I recall, which should mean that it was the Rokkenjima Explosion that killed him... but then, the endroll is highly unreliable.
Old 2010-02-12, 03:59   Link #1488
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
But that's what I explained before. There's no rule saying that the detective can't die, and a corpse is hardly in a position to objectively observe anything. That's why Battler can observe golden butterflies after midnight on October 5th, and it's a potential explanation for why he could see Beatrice and Kinzo at the end of Episode 2. Certainly better than "he got drunk and hallucinated it."
Ep6 heavily hints that "losing detective authority = ceasing to be a detective"

A dead detective isn't a detective anymore. And the red about Erika being a detective was stated once the game was already started. It is very unlikely that she managed to get to the island alive just to die a little later.

Old 2010-02-12, 08:56   Link #1489
Koi

But, a detective can't be the killer.(part of knox decalogue)
So...
Even though she cut off 5 people's head, Erika can't be the culprit.
Battler is not the culprit according to the red truth.
Natsuhi is not too, according to red truth...
But no red has ever forbid them to HELP the real culprit, intentionally or unintentionally. Right?
Even the detective can accidently help right?
Old 2010-02-12, 09:18   Link #1490
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Erika is not the detective in EP6, that's how she was allowed to kill 5 people. However she was the detective in EP5.

Old 2010-02-12, 09:35   Link #1491
Ronove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Erika is not the detective in EP6, that's how she was allowed to kill 5 people. However she was the detective in EP5.
Hmm... I remember a red that "Erika successfully killed the people" or something. COrrect me if I'm wrong. Does that mean they weren't dead before, or in a near-death state?

Also, if we're saying Erika is the culprit in EP6, and she wasn't even there in Ep4 and before, does that mean the culprit is supposed to be random, in which a certain factor triggers their murderous plan?

Anyone have ideas on this "factor"?
Old 2010-02-12, 10:16   Link #1492
Axilios
Golden penguin

Send a message via MSN to Axilios
Quote:
so, if we're saying Erika is the culprit in EP6, and she wasn't even there in Ep4 and before, does that mean the culprit is supposed to be random, in which a certain factor triggers their murderous plan?

Well, an interresting I had read about that is that she is a cloak for the "culprit", or something like that.
There is also a lot of strange scenes in ep5 which are showing that since she is here, some things just get stranger and stranger.
However, some red text are in the way. But I think that it would be good to keep this in mind, it could have some useful parts.
Old 2010-02-12, 10:41   Link #1493
Koi

well... Beato acknowledge her as a detective, so I thought...
Weird huh? Like when she listen for their breath... how can she not hear theirs? I mean, she just say something along the line of Battler is not the culprit. She listened for his breath, she heard that he went straight to sleep, but can't hear the cousin's breath?
Sooo weird...
Old 2010-02-12, 10:55   Link #1494
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Also, if we're saying Erika is the culprit in EP6, and she wasn't even there in Ep4 and before, does that mean the culprit is supposed to be random, in which a certain factor triggers their murderous plan?
Different culprit in every episode is quite a possibility. After all, nobody said that only one person wants to kill.
Also, it may be possible that there are more culprits working together, but they always find betraying one another.

Quote:
for his breath, she heard that he went straight to sleep, but can't hear the cousin's breath?
Sooo weird...
I think he was sleeping near the wall so he was near enough. She probably couldn't hear further away.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:21   Link #1495
Axilios
Golden penguin

Personally I was thinking about another part ;

Quote:
I softly pulled the blanket up......covering George-aniki's corpse.
His neck......was split wide open.

...It was probably.....larger and deeper than his mouth.
Would it have looked like a clean and neat corpse if that part had been covered up...?
Of course not...

[...]

So I stripped the blanket off of my bed and placed it on top of the first one.
......But there were only two extra blankets.

So if we covered one more of the corpses, ......we wouldn't be able to cover any more.

I feel bad about the ones we can't cover, ......but for some reason, ...times like these make me feel like muttering 'don't complain about it being unfair' inside my head......
"......Kyrie. Put blankets over all of them. ...Wouldn't want them to catch cold."
"............Sure."
Kyrie-san and I covered the other corpses up to their heads with their blankets, just like George-aniki's...

Either I'm bad at understanding, either they have covered 4 corpses ( Rosa,Maria, Jessica, George) with 3 blanket... or they covered two corpses (Maria and Rosa for example) with one blanket, but then

Quote:
So if we covered one more of the corpses, ......we wouldn't be able to cover any more.
become useless... And some very strange coincidences, such as maria's memory and Erika's photographic memory, etc...
I could be wrong, but there is more and more of this kind of things...

Quote:
Beato acknowledge her as a detective

Err, it was Lambda, Am i wrong?
Old 2010-02-12, 13:27   Link #1496
Ronove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axilios View Post
Personally I was thinking about another part ;

Either I'm bad at understanding, either they have covered 4 corpses ( Rosa,Maria, Jessica, George) with 3 blanket... or they covered two corpses (Maria and Rosa for example) with one blanket, but then

become useless... And some very strange coincidences, such as maria's memory and Erika's photographic memory, etc...
I could be wrong, but there is more and more of this kind of things...

Err, it was Lambda, Am i wrong?

Hmm... remember this blue: It wasn't stated that something that is not a corpse can be identified as a corpse.

Since the detective didn't really see the corpses, can it be considered something else? Possibly a play on words? Or soemthing that looks like it? (Animal Corpse?)
Old 2010-02-12, 13:37   Link #1497
Axilios
Golden penguin

Well, I was thinking about lambdadelta paying on words when she is telling the story; after all, she do that quite often, remember;

Quote:
'At 24:00, only Erika, George, Jessica, Maria, Nanjo, Gohda, and Kumasawa existed outside the mansion'!"

In other words, no matter how much they struggled, those 8 people, including Erika, could not have existed inside the mansion, much less in front of the door.
Including Erika, with "those", we can count 7 people. So it is probably not related to this, but it is clear that Lambda really loves using of her position as a game master to show false things, give hints and taunt the player.
Old 2010-02-12, 15:20   Link #1498
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I don't see any particular reason why the detective has to be real. Obviously their objective viewpoint becomes a bit tricky in that case, but certainly one could make up a scenario in which a nonexistent observer is the sole reliable witness to events. Books have been written in such a vein, although rarely mysteries.
Old 2010-02-12, 17:03   Link #1499
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Since we've spent so much time focusing on the logic error, there hasn't been a lot of discussion about other interesting info that popped up. So, here's some things that jumped out at me when I was taking notes.

Spoiler for Notes and oddities, long:

EDIT:
I don't know whether this is significant, but Nanjo only had four lines this episode. Three of them were inconsequential lines during the riddle competition at dinner. The fourth was telling everyone else in the neighboring room they ought to get some sleep...

Last edited by LyricalAura; 2010-02-12 at 17:50.
Old 2010-02-12, 19:04   Link #1500
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronove View Post
Hmm... I remember a red that "Erika successfully killed the people" or something. COrrect me if I'm wrong. Does that mean they weren't dead before, or in a near-death state?

they were all alive. That's what Erika said, and she knows because they didn't actually stayed still when she killed them, so they weren't in a near-death state or under the effect of some apparent death drug.

Is see little chances that Erika lied because Battler should know if the 5 were supposed to be alive or conscious or whatever.

@LyricalAura

I think Kanon's memories might have received a radical embellishment for the occasion. I wouldn't consider them 100% accurate.

Closed Thread