AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 64 39.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 29.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 14.72%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 10.43%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-16, 04:27   Link #161
Deshwiran

Good episode,at last i'm used to the sudden shift from mindcrushing tragedies to 100% comedy and vice-versa.
Spoiler for ep 7:
Old 2010-05-16, 04:32   Link #162
maplehurry

Quote:
At first i thought the final moment of last ep was quite "wtf" and cheesy... but after this episode, maybe we all observed it wrong. It was the massacre screen which was made to be too dramatic.
The director's having fun trolling people, sort of...
Old 2010-05-16, 04:45   Link #163
Crontica

Making it rain was overkill, of course its going to be overdramatic.

Deshwiran brought up another interesting point, when they attack the evil Tenshi now will the wounds be synchronized back to Kanade?
Old 2010-05-16, 04:53   Link #164
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I don't think so. My thoughts about this is that Dark!Tenshi now has the abilities of Tenshi, and she wishes to eliminate the original, like a doppelganger in Futagami Double or an Astral Drop in W.I.T.C.H., on fear that they will lose their existence when they are reintegrated.
Spoiler for preview:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-16, 06:29   Link #165
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
A good episode that eliminated the small thought I had about this being a kind of suicide world. I know Yuri said early on that no one had done it, but I was still suspicious considering some of the stories we were seeing. Otonashi's was an interesting end since he endured his painful loss and was moving forward. Just reminds you of life being unfair when he can be killed while working toward his goal. Glad he wasn't brought down for too long after getting his memories.

Curious about his getting closer to Kanade. Think in part it's seeing her as a little sister that he wants to properly look out for this time around. Also might also be about seeing her somewhat as he used to be. Not getting close to others and just existing. But of course he's shown enough signs of being legitimately interested in her. Just wonder how things will evolve there. The guy is certainly building up his harem with Naoi and a solid connection with Yuri. Of course with Yuri it could be more admiration for her than anything else.

Now we've got the new Tenshi to deal with. I guess finding out why she went after Yuri will give some hints as to her motivations. If she is going to be actively going after the SSS things are going to get pretty tense. Even more dangerous would be if she had a different mindset from Kanade and develops her own abilities that are more offense related in nature.
Old 2010-05-16, 08:45   Link #166
Wrath88
Kissing...

Hmm, I'm a little sleepy so I can't think it through enough, but are there any of those metaphorical representations in this episode?
Old 2010-05-16, 09:05   Link #167
sn0w75

Does any one know if the piano played around 5:05 is some famous song or an original made for the soundtrack?
Old 2010-05-16, 09:37   Link #168
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
I can't quite decide whether that'd be the good end or the bad end.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess we'd have to find out what happens to them after they disappear, or at least have some clues to discern what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
That is pretty good. If Asami was the first one to disappear then, I think it'd be a potential foreshadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
A good episode that eliminated the small thought I had about this being a kind of suicide world. I know Yuri said early on that no one had done it, but I was still suspicious considering some of the stories we were seeing. Otonashi's was an interesting end since he endured his painful loss and was moving forward. Just reminds you of life being unfair when he can be killed while working toward his goal. Glad he wasn't brought down for too long after getting his memories.
He definitely had a life where sometime would kill themselves. And how did his sister die? In the hospital after their trip or did they never say at all?

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-16 at 10:49. Reason: spoiler removed
Old 2010-05-16, 10:23   Link #169
Key Board
Carbon

In Persona terms, Tenshi summoned her Persona and it went Shadow

We will probably have a variation of "I am you" and "No, you are not me!" in the next following weeks followed by a boss battle and reconciliation.
Old 2010-05-16, 10:57   Link #170
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Ayato might have been ruthless as soon as he was appointed as the Student Council President, however, Ayato displays much more "human" traits than Kanade.
You have, on one side, a young boy who was reckless and ruthless one time, and did display human trait (glimpse of his past, "ego", antics etc)
, and on the other side: A girl who is basically acting like a doll, with supernatural skills, and was impairing the SSS a lot of times.
I daresay: it is perfectly logical for the SSS to accept Ayato much quicker than Kanade, as a matter of circumstances AND character's point of view, NOT ours.
Actually, if you're talking about the CHARACTER's viewpoint, then it makes even less sense. All the SSS saw, prior to episode 7, was Naoi bullying some students, using them as human shields, 'spawn camped' the entire group, and very well tried to actually make their leader disappear and not merely just 'kill' her. Even Tenshi, as far as shown in the anime, only killed the SSS rather than make them outright disappear.

Heck, the characters in the world never even saw the flashback of Naoi's past (it was merely shown for the audience's benefit), which were the only glimpse of 'humanity' we could see from him prior to episode 7. All the SSS knew, prior to episode 7, was that they were at war with Naoi and they were getting their butts kicked (rather badly might I add). Then first thing we're shown in episode 7 is Naoi is now on their side? Something definitely was missing, and this is ESPECIALLY highlighted if you see things through the character's points of view.

See, I'm not questioning why Naoi joined before Tenshi.

What I am questioning though is why was Naoi's joining of the SSS done offscreen (ie. 'telling') while Tenshi's was done onscreen (ie. 'showing'), when just the episode before Naoi was at war with the SSS while Tenshi was already allied with them? It was his 'reconciliation scene' with the SSS that was needed FAR MORE than Tenshi's, as its rather obvious that the jump from 'at war' to 'part of the group' is far larger than 'allies' to 'part of the group'.

Come to think, maybe its this heavy focus on Tenshi by the anime that was the cause of this blunder? That when given the choice between showing Naoi's reconciliation scene and Tenshi's, they chose the latter because it would show more 'moe moe moments' towards Tenshi? I dunno, just throwing it out there. I mean, even as a Tenshi lover, I still would choose a better flowing story over one with more moments with Tenshi, so I'd really be >_> towards them if this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block
Nope. If you might recall from Ep06, Otonashi was the first (and only) person to accept him for who he really is (not as his twin brother). It might not be apparent to you, but I believe this acknowledgment is enough to warrant his attachment to Otonashi.
Now you're just taking my quote out of context. There's a reason why "This admiration of Otonashi ALSO came out of left field" was IMMEDIATELY followed by "We can deduce it after-the-fact that it came from Otonashi 'healing' him, but that doesn't change the fact that there have been no clues (explicit, implicit, symbolic, or otherwise) beforehand to suggest anything of this sort".

That is, if you take the former quote ONLY by itself (like you did), then the 'coming out of left field' would imply it came out of nowhere. But the fact that I clarified 'coming out of left field' by adding the latter sentence meant that Naoi's admiration was merely not the suggested outcome of Otonashi's acceptance.

I mean, I even mentioned that the cause of Naoi's admiration was in fact Otonashi's acceptance, for crying out loud. >_>

Now leaving context problems aside, let me get on with the meat of the matter. Just because Naoi's admiration was caused by Otonashi's acceptance, does NOT necessarily mean that Otonashi's acceptance suggested Naoi would then become Otonashi's bitch.

Seriously now, Otonashi accepting Naoi can be the cause of a bajillion different things. It can be the cause of Naoi quitting the student council because he has been 'shown the light' by Otonashi, or it can be the cause of merely just a ceasefire rather than an outright union of the two groups due to him respecting Otonashi. Or, as the previous episode thread has shown, it could also mean Naoi's disappearance if the writers wanted to tell us that Otonashi's acceptance made Naoi at peace with himself. And so on and so forth.

In other words, there's no way that Otonashi's acceptance of Naoi suggested that the next thing Naoi would do would be worshipping the ground Otonashi walks on. At least, no reasonable person would think so, when Otonashi's acceptance can suggest a whole slew of other things.

Which leads me to my main gripe about the episode... by having Otonashi accept Naoi at the end of one episode and then immediately have Naoi turn to Otonashi's #1 fanboy the next episode, they merely just told us the reason for his change of allegiance. They did not show, in any way, shape or form, how Naoi's admiration came into about or how it lead to him joining the group.

Again, this is a case of the writers 'telling' rather than 'showing'. They're telling us that Naoi did a 180 and joined the group soon after. And as any writer/editor worth his salt can tell you, a character doing a complete 180 is one of the top things you should NOT merely 'tell'.

And what really irks me is that they had the time to show Tenshi's joining, something less critical to the flow of the story because she was already cooperating with them the episode before (in other words, she did a 45 or at worst, a 90). And that's coming from a Tenshi fan, btw.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-05-16, 11:47   Link #171
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
What I am questioning though is why was Naoi's joining of the SSS done offscreen (ie. 'telling') while Tenshi's was done onscreen (ie. 'showing'), when just the episode before Naoi was at war with the SSS while Tenshi was already allied with them? It was his 'reconciliation scene' with the SSS that was needed FAR MORE than Tenshi's, as its rather obvious that the jump from 'at war' to 'part of the group' is far larger than 'allies' to 'part of the group'.
I never implied that there wasn't something missing. I was also not so satisfied about how they handled Ayato here.

However, I insists on the point that it is more logical to consider Ayato as human, however ruthless he might be. Not acting like an automaton is a huge factor, even if it was much more harmful to them.
Furthermore, the end of Episode 6 and the start of Episode 7 imply a lot that Ayato cried like anyone could, breaking his "so almighty shell".
Whilst I would rather see the progression onscreen, the details were plenty enough to process into something like "hey, he is just like us", especially if the guy has a emotional breakdown and being "pampered" by Yuzuru.
Quote:
Come to think, maybe its this heavy focus on Tenshi by the anime that was the cause of this blunder? That when given the choice between showing Naoi's reconciliation scene and Tenshi's, they chose the latter because it would show more 'moe moe moments' towards Tenshi? I dunno, just throwing it out there. I mean, even as a Tenshi lover, I still would choose a better flowing story over one with more moments with Tenshi, so I'd really be >_> towards them if this is true.
Rather, it need several interactions between Yuzuru and Kanade, and even more with the SSS to have a proper progression with her.
Ultimately, they should have used the "showing" process for both. But between the 2, Ayato is the "easy mode" compared to Kanade.

And again, there are points regarding Ayato that make him "meanier" to us as watchers, but that's that.
Also, can you indicate which part of the episode that actually demonstrates that he was corpse camping them?
Old 2010-05-16, 12:28   Link #172
klare

i have never said so many times of "what the..." in one eps... but i guess i am used to this kind of sudden change of mood in every eps

finally we get the flashback to solve the mystery of why Otonashi cant help getting close to Tachibana

double hand sonic? passive skill? seems like Tachibana can wipe out everyone anytime

and now i am suspecting about Yuri's intension at the ending
Old 2010-05-16, 13:23   Link #173
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post

and now i am suspecting about Yuri's intension at the ending
What are you suspecting?
Old 2010-05-16, 13:48   Link #174
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
Not acting like an automaton is a huge factor, even if it was much more harmful to them.
Pretty arbitrary I might say. Some people would not consider this a huge factor. But it just so happens that this matters to most of the SSS members.
Old 2010-05-16, 13:48   Link #175
Mentar
Banned

Oh my, and a gentle moeblob dies in the cold while held in the arms of a Key male lead. How original. I've never seen this before... brilliant idea!

Seriously, Key retards, can't you please STOP this bullshit? It's beyond ridiculous, it's not even funny anymore, just annoying. Is this all which you can wring out of your brains?

Please excuse my French, but I am SO fed up with Key's tendency to repeat the same story time and again and again and again and again .....
Old 2010-05-16, 13:49   Link #176
skyy54264

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And what really irks me is that they had the time to show Tenshi's joining, something less critical to the flow of the story because she was already cooperating with them the episode before (in other words, she did a 45 or at worst, a 90). And that's coming from a Tenshi fan, btw.
Regarding Tenshi, she didn't really "turn" any direction imo. At first, viewers were lead to believe she was the show's antagonist because that's what Yuri fed us. But as Otonashi grew closer to Tenshi, we learn that she isn't a villain at all. Her hand sonic is for defense, not offense as explained in episode 6. She never attacked any of the SSS. She attacked Otonashi in episode 1 because he "asked something weird".

She went after the SSS all the time because they kept making a ruckus - it was her job as Student Counsel President to keep the school in order. So in actuality, she's always been neutral towards the SSS thus, not really "turning".
Old 2010-05-16, 13:53   Link #177
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

they should do a full season instead of half, it feels really rush while watching this.
Old 2010-05-16, 14:10   Link #178
OkamiNoKaze

This episode was good, it felt like almost two episodes in one, the first part being Otonashi's story. First thing i thought of when I seen his sister was, Nagisa too. Though I called her condition Nagisa Syndrome, Key AIDS works well too. Poor guy forgot he was in the Key multiverse and got on mode of transportation. Second half was them trying to catch a really big fish. Quite the cliffhanger as well.
Old 2010-05-16, 16:38   Link #179
Forsaken_Infinity

I was gonna give it a 10..but I ended up giving it a 8. The first part was great, the rest wasn't really on par. I don't really like the pairing of Kanade and Yuzuru, weird as I like them both. I don't think they should ever go past being friends. It'd suck if they do, as cruel as it sounds. Actually, that's the case for every character in this series. I refuse to ship anyone.

I liked the backstory, but I totally saw that coming. As soon as Naoi's eye started glowing, I totally expected "onii chan" from a sick sister...geez...

That said, they had me wonder if Yuzuru actually committed suicide for a while, even though it went against Yuri's claim that those who killed themselves won't make it to the academy. But that lead vocal girl (already forgot her name, unfortunate as she was a pretty good character) died of natural causes so I was expecting him to recover and die in an accident all along. That and the guy started repeating the same stuff in his mind over and over for far too long....making everything else that followed obvious.

And although I didn't think much about it, Naoi's character was handled too cheaply indeed.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2010-05-16 at 16:49.
Old 2010-05-16, 18:32   Link #180
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I was gonna give it a 10..but I ended up giving it a 8. The first part was great, the rest wasn't really on par. I don't really like the pairing of Kanade and Yuzuru, weird as I like them both. I don't think they should ever go past being friends. It'd suck if they do, as cruel as it sounds. Actually, that's the case for every character in this series. I refuse to ship anyone.
I agree that the episode had a weird sync between
Spoiler for Episode 7:
But as you said, that if Kadane and Otonashi pairing was to be, i wouldn't mind, they make a cute couple XD Although i have a feeling he might end up with Yuri, i don't mind.
Spoiler for Episode 7 End:
O.o Hmm??