AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

View Poll Results: School Days Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 94 20.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 12.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 59 13.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 58 12.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 43 9.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 27 5.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 15 3.31%
3 out of 10 : Bad 12 2.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 1.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 10 2.21%
-1 out of 10: I want the time spent watching this back 69 15.23%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-20, 15:35   Link #161
MyGoddess
Tessa-sama

Send a message via MSN to MyGoddess
After episode 10 - 9/10
I liked the plot so far. Sure there were some WTF moments but it was balanced out for me.

After episode 11 - 6/10
Ok this is where things went to hell. It seemed that Makoto was s****ing with everything that moved. And the directors made him seem like a brainless sex-machine.

After episode 12 - 7/10
Well the gory death of the main lead eased the pain but it was too late. The damage was done.

Sorry, I suck at reviews but this is how I felt after having watched this show.

Last edited by MyGoddess; 2008-03-20 at 17:07. Reason: bad english
MyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 03:56   Link #162
Tamekichi
流離っている

Spoiler for Review, with spoiler stuff in it:
Tamekichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 05:20   Link #163
anselfir
Style Über Alles

The so called "drama" in this show is a celebration of the shittiest behavior romance or otherwise found in humans. It shows the bottom of the barrel of japan's view of women, and a disgraceful showcase of the most banal tendencies of the visual novel genre.

the characters are deliberatively bad. makoto is just a little animal, and represents the worst of teen boy culture. a little punk that should have his stuffing knocked out of him. he is not dumb, just bad. i would mark makoto up as a base effort by the producers to pander to the chauvs out there, but given the enthusiastic reception makoto receives in the less than intelligent crowd, i have to say that not only is he an unredeemable character, but also a horrible cult figure. he is shit, and you are shit for liking him.

the other girls are basically designed to be bitches on the loose. the show is designed to be a shitstorm, enjoyed by the degenerate and maligned.

to the vast majority of good animu fans, this show is a big fuck you. i can only return the favor.

Last edited by anselfir; 2008-04-28 at 11:30.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 17:26   Link #164
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

After hearing the infamous ending everyone was talking about,I went to check out the anime for myself.

I seriously hated it.
Sure the plot is nothing new in a love-triangle [even though other girls participated in it] the whole thing was pretty predictable...until the end.
I don't know,the characters [especially Makoto] ticked me off till no end & I found them annoying.I'm even suprised I watched the whole thing but I do admit this show had its good parts too that really sucked me into it.

This anime basically give both guys & girls a bad name but it teaches alot I guess.
I won't say no more.
This is only MY opinion so don't take it to any offense lol xD
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 01:05   Link #165
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCupCakes View Post
Sure the plot is nothing new in a love-triangle [even though other s participated in it] the whole thing was pretty predictable...until the end.
I don't know,the characters [especially Makoto] ticked me off till no end & I found them annoying.

This anime basically give both guys & s a bad name but it teaches alot I guess.
I won't say no more.
Since it was a dark subversion of the school romance harem genre, I'd say it did its job then. School Days is to harem what Evangelion is to Mecha.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 19:13   Link #166
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

we all know this show went down in history for different reason but the universal is always "boat".

And this show didnt give "boys and girls a bad name" human beings in nature is F'D UP. True psychos do exist in the world, some way more out-there then those two girls.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 09:59   Link #167
tahchero_sama

heheheh..

this anime is cool...

^_^

very inspiring!

damn that itou makoto.. he worths it. ^_^
tahchero_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 10:00   Link #168
tahchero_sama

you do? hate it? kyaaaaaaaaaaa
tahchero_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 17:10   Link #169
Mystic_Blue_Roses
Anime Freak

I didn't really like this anime for two reasons:

1: The main guy is a man whore!! XD (He sleeps with like, 5 girls!!)
2: The ending was horrible! X0

(don't flame my for my words)
Mystic_Blue_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 19:24   Link #170
Taler
http://typemoon.us

Best series I've ever seen. 10/10. Plot and execution were both brilliant. Huge wins here.
Taler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 22:48   Link #171
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

well i dont know about those who gave it 4 or lower but to me personally it was one of the best animes ive seen so far in its own way.

fisrt off it started as a typical romance anime. motoko goes with kotonoha, they have there bumps and difficulties towards a good relationship... then sekai comes out of no were and seduces motoko in a sly way. motoko begins to realize that he wants sekai and then the story splits into a different direction.

after motoko gets a taste of love he becomes greedy and goes for more and more until hes out of control. despite all that kotonoha still doesnt give up on motoko. motoko eventually end up with nothing, realizing what he's been doing is wrong and goes back to his old self with partial thanks to kotonoha.

sekai's attempt to get motoko fails and she kills him because she didnt get her way. kotonoha takes revenge and ends up with motoko (sort of, lol).

overall when i first watched i was like "yeah, yeah, here comes another typical romance." but then it goes completely a different way than i expected and comes to a sad end. yes the story was sad and you could only feel but sorrow for kotonoha throughout the story but its because of that, that made the anime so darn good! i rooted for the best ending there could possibly be but i wouldnt change a thing if i had a chance.

school days is so different, and good, i cant even put it in the same catagory with other animes. i finished the show about a year ago and it still to this day has me thinking about it. so overall i give it a perfect 10 out of 10.. i wish there was a number higher i could go to express how much i loved this anime! i think the creator was brilliant for what he did with this anime!

maybe those of you who didnt like this anime saw it in a different way but to me this was just one of those once in a life time animes!

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 23:49   Link #172
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamekichi View Post
Spoiler for Review, with spoiler stuff in it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
The so called "drama" in this show is a celebration of the shittiest behavior romance or otherwise found in humans. It shows the bottom of the barrel of japan's view of women, and a disgraceful showcase of the most banal tendencies of the visual novel genre.

the characters are deliberatively bad. makoto is just a little animal, and represents the worst of teen boy culture. a little punk that should have his stuffing knocked out of him. he is not dumb, just bad. i would mark makoto up as a base effort by the producers to pander to the chauvs out there, but given the enthusiastic reception makoto receives in the less than intelligent crowd, i have to say that not only is he an unredeemable character, but also a horrible cult figure. he is shit, and you are shit for liking him.

the other girls are basically designed to be bitches on the loose. the show is designed to be a shitstorm, enjoyed by the degenerate and maligned.

to the vast majority of good animu fans, this show is a big fuck you. i can only return the favor.
i think you guys got the characters all wrong. yea they all messed up in alot of ways, and did alot of commen sense stupid things, but you have to think about what they wanted, how they felt, and how what they wanted got them into the mess they got into.

motoko - started out wanting katsura. but then sekai showed more emotion and passion towards him than katsura. after he realized that he ended up realizing that he wanted sekai all along. after doing the do with sekai, he understood sex more, and got caried away in the romance wanting more and more until he lost himself. then when he ran out of alternatives he realized what he had been doing and that he really did want kotonoha from the beginning. but despite his realization, it was too late to make up for the mess he created and things ended how it ended.

sekai - wanted motoko from the beginning but couldnt have him because he liked katsura. she knew the only thing she could do was support him and be there for him, and that if she did that, she would eventually find an opening and for the moment succeeded. not realizing she created a monster, eventually she started to lose motoko and did despirate things to try to bring him back (preteding to be pregnant for example). at that point her emotions were damaged and she was lost and didnt know what to do. as a result, she crashed and killed motoko because she didnt want anyone to have him if she couldnt and met the fate that was her.

katsura - wanted motoko from the beginning but had a hard time connecting to him due to her shy personality. as a result of her personality, it took her too long to become open to motoko, and sekai stole him away . when she noticed motoko stopped spending time with her she knew deep inside what was going on, which activated her to draw on to motoko faster (too little too late unfortunately). with her in denial mixed in with the huge sudden amount of emotional pain, she became crazy and obsessed with motoko like cocaine. when motoko had no were to go she finally got her opportunity to take him back and thats how she ended up the way she was.

taisuke - not much to really say about him. he envied matoko's relationship with katsura and fell in love with her deep inside but didnt say anything. because of that he didnt notice that hikari liked him and really didnt pay much attention to her. when he found out motoko was done with katsura he used it as an opportunity to get was he ever so wanted and for one day, was a god.

hikari - i mean come on! you cant really call her a whore. i mean you have the right to because of what she did, but at the same time come on! she came to his house to have him cheer on sekai. he probably showed affection toward her and she got caught up in the moment.

otome - yea she was a bi**h, but you can't call her a whore no mater how you look at it. she loved motoko from the beginning and confessed. she stayed with him until she heard he was dirty.

kyoura - everything she did was for sekai's sake. not like she was just sex hungry.

thats just about all i can say for the characters. im not saying the opinions put on them are wrong but you do gotta think about how they felt.

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 22:40   Link #173
gibits
Endless

This series was like a Vanilla Sky experience for me, but way more fucked up.

Honestly, it was pretty realistic too, till it got the blood and gore parts. Itou did what any teenager in his situation would do: he lived it up. I really have a hard time faulting him for fucking every girl that came his way. And the girls' reactions is just as realistic, because lets be honest, girls like "assholes" and Itou fit the bill. It's social proof at its finest, girl sees guy getting loads of ass, hence proof that he is fit (and worthy of her vagina).

This series was more of a parable than a story though, since most women would not cut up corpses, or killed the person that jilted them. Seika getting batshit crazy was pretty far out but teens already have raging hormones and pregnancy adds fuel to the flame. As a dad to be i can tell you that you shouldn't underestimate what a baby can do to your baby-momma.

I wish they were more committed to the lesson they were trying to convey though. The animation really was a bit too cutesy and the beginning really misleads you. After watching higurashi and now this series, I'm starting to wonder if anime is the right media to do this type of story. Sure the last episode shocked me, but I wonder if it would have greater effect if it was live. Also the sex really needed to be pumped up. It was a huge catalyst for the events that happened later, and it just felt like overflow was compromising themselves for not going out in this area (unlike other parable movies involving sex).

I really disliked all the characters by the end except for Kotonoha. I really felt sorry for her, if there really was an innocent victim in this series it is her. I was hoping she would be the one to kill Itou. But at least she killed Sekia which brought a smile to my face. She really didn't deserve all the abuse she got. Itou ends up apologizing to her and picks her in the end but it really was too little too late.

I guess Taisuke was ok, O mean if Kotonoha was with him I'm pretty sure he would have been faithful only she didn't, and he did kind of take advantage of her........ I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt since he's so earnest and still purses her after the whole incident.

All in all i give it a 8/10. The characters in this series just leave a bad taste in my month. Sure it was realistic but did everyone have to be so irredeemable? And poor poor Kotonoha.

Last edited by gibits; 2008-07-12 at 03:13.
gibits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 17:40   Link #174
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime ronin View Post
i think you guys got the characters all wrong. yea they all messed up in alot of ways, and did alot of commen sense stupid things, but you have to think about what they wanted, how they felt, and how what they wanted got them into the mess they got into.

motoko - started out wanting katsura. but then sekai showed more emotion and passion towards him than katsura. after he realized that he ended up realizing that he wanted sekai all along. after doing the do with sekai, he understood sex more, and got caried away in the romance wanting more and more until he lost himself. then when he ran out of alternatives he realized what he had been doing and that he really did want kotonoha from the beginning. but despite his realization, it was too late to make up for the mess he created and things ended how it ended.

sekai - wanted motoko from the beginning but couldnt have him because he liked katsura. she knew the only thing she could do was support him and be there for him, and that if she did that, she would eventually find an opening and for the moment succeeded. not realizing she created a monster, eventually she started to lose motoko and did despirate things to try to bring him back (preteding to be pregnant for example). at that point her emotions were damaged and she was lost and didnt know what to do. as a result, she crashed and killed motoko because she didnt want anyone to have him if she couldnt and met the fate that was her.

katsura - wanted motoko from the beginning but had a hard time connecting to him due to her shy personality. as a result of her personality, it took her too long to become open to motoko, and sekai stole him away . when she noticed motoko stopped spending time with her she knew deep inside what was going on, which activated her to draw on to motoko faster (too little too late unfortunately). with her in denial mixed in with the huge sudden amount of emotional pain, she became crazy and obsessed with motoko like cocaine. when motoko had no were to go she finally got her opportunity to take him back and thats how she ended up the way she was.

taisuke - not much to really say about him. he envied matoko's relationship with katsura and fell in love with her deep inside but didnt say anything. because of that he didnt notice that hikari liked him and really didnt pay much attention to her. when he found out motoko was done with katsura he used it as an opportunity to get was he ever so wanted and for one day, was a god.

hikari - i mean come on! you cant really call her a whore. i mean you have the right to because of what she did, but at the same time come on! she came to his house to have him cheer on sekai. he probably showed affection toward her and she got caught up in the moment.

otome - yea she was a bi**h, but you can't call her a whore no mater how you look at it. she loved motoko from the beginning and confessed. she stayed with him until she heard he was dirty.

kyoura - everything she did was for sekai's sake. not like she was just sex hungry.

thats just about all i can say for the characters. im not saying the opinions put on them are wrong but you do gotta think about how they felt.
i am not interested in constructing the show's relationships and emotional content, but to comment on the overall structure and the choices that were made along the way by the directing staff. regardless of how moving and reasonable the characters are, and indeed it takes skill to portray them as such, they portray a banal and vulgar situation.

if you believe that school days gives a representative or even 'reasonably tolerable' portrayal of romantic relations, you are free to enjoy the mess, but i make precisely the point that this is the reason why it is a piece of cultural trash. the same criticism applies to entertainments powered by slave gladiators or exploited women. it caters to the base taste.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 11:56   Link #175
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
i am not interested in constructing the show's relationships and emotional content, but to comment on the overall structure and the choices that were made along the way by the directing staff. regardless of how moving and reasonable the characters are, and indeed it takes skill to portray them as such, they portray a banal and vulgar situation.

if you believe that school days gives a representative or even 'reasonably tolerable' portrayal of romantic relations, you are free to enjoy the mess, but i make precisely the point that this is the reason why it is a piece of cultural trash. the same criticism applies to entertainments powered by slave gladiators or exploited women. it caters to the base taste.
Pretty much my opinion xD

When I started School days it looked pretty interesting to me. But it went downhill so very fast after Matoko (was his name right?) started to just do any girl in his grasp. The characters had a lot of potential, but IMO it was just thrown out the window.
I don't think the production thought so deep about why the charcters start to become psycho as some fans claim. IMO they just wanted to shock somewhat and to seem bright because they made something unique - but wasn't.

The plot would have been great if it had been a hentai (not really a compliment, since the standarts for a plot in porn is pretty ... very .. low ). But it wasn't.
For me School Days was the crappiest anime I've ever seen xD I really should've dropped it after ep 4 or so.

It's just my opinion. Whoever likes it or thinks of it as a masterpiece is free to do so, but it's crap for me ^^
ANd I don't neglect SD because of the content, e.g. violence, implied sex and promiscuous behavior, which I don't mind. Actually some other series I really love use that exessively (non anime but still).

I don't want to even start to criticize SD seriously because I would only waste more time on it xD It doesn't stand much literal or entertain value IMO.

But hey, no offense to no one Have fun with it, tastes are different~
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 18:50   Link #176
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

I gave it a 7 there was so much drama and at the last when Matoko dies and kotonoha cuts his head and takes it and sayes we are finely together she went crazy

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine

Last edited by CMSensei; 2008-08-18 at 10:14.
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 22:26   Link #177
Taler
http://typemoon.us

Quote:

Unfortunately your post makes no sense.

I have to do a 'the emperor has no clothes' thing with this one, your post lacks logic and a followable train of thought.

Try again.

@zebra, it has nothing to do with taste, it has everything to do with critical close reading. If you decide to not do that, then it's a statement about you, not the show.
Taler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 18:40   Link #178
khouram

well who would have thought that it will turn out the way it did?

great anime ^_^

10/10
Old 2008-08-13, 20:11   Link #179
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouram View Post
well who would have thought that it will turn out the way it did?

great anime ^_^

10/10
was about to say the same thing, i really didnt expect it to end how it did

surely the unexpected makes a perfect ending?

one of the best ive watched, id say 9/10 for sure, well worth the watch if anyones thinking about it
Old 2008-08-17, 15:06   Link #180
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

This was actually a pretty good romance series. The seriousness involved, the awesome character designs, and realistic emotions was very well portrayed. The ending is very out of the ordinary, but I was not affected by it. (I was more affected by Fate/Stay Night haha...) It had a good plot and I recommend it to watch.

Spoiler for End plot impressions:

9/10

Last edited by Synria_; 2008-08-21 at 01:33.
Synria_ is offline   Reply With Quote