AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-28, 08:06   Link #1081
kitten320

But there are so many other ways she could go about it. For one , talk to judge in a nicer manner for starters. Because as I said, if he was a real deal, there would be massive problems.
Or spy on Unolaq.
Or spy on prison cells just in case.

And so on instead of becoming brutal and hoping that it will work out every time.
Old 2013-09-28, 08:10   Link #1082
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I actually found this ep the least irritating so far this season, largely because of Varrick and Tenzin's convo with Ikki. "No honey? We're inside a bear, for crying out loud!" made me laugh harder than anything in 4 episodes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 08:17   Link #1083
kitten320

The episode was the best of the bunch, at least things finally started to move forward and there were some nice comedy moments.

But otherwise it is pretty weak in comparison to all other Avatar seasons including Korra S1. Though S1 went down in second half so hopefully this one will go up^^
Old 2013-09-28, 08:59   Link #1084
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Zhu Li..the greatest assistant.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 09:04   Link #1085
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It helps that they got a real comedy professional (John Michael Higgins, most recently famous as part of Christopher Guest's mockumentary ensemble) to play Varrick.
Old 2013-09-28, 23:20   Link #1086
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Of course, this season so far doesn't live up to the original's level, but I think the "more of the same" comment suits it pretty well. Bolin has been gold this season though, same with Varrick =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 23:25   Link #1087
VTHokiePride

I just caught up and I'm liking where this is going. Another war, but the Water Tribe is the enemy. Another thing, I want a platypus bear that poops money!
Old 2013-09-29, 00:15   Link #1088
Friday
Im shy too...

oh she finally woke up......
(I'm slapping her ears to remind her who she is.....)
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:45   Link #1089
kitten320

Varick is actually one of my faves right now among new cast
And of course his loyal assistant
Old 2013-09-30, 09:01   Link #1090
james0246

Just caught up with the new season. Sadly, it is not as good as the first. The animation is off (occasionally characters just standing around not even looking like their talking or interacting, few blinks, etc) though the backgrounds, fight scenes and character designs are as good as before; the character motivations are also a little weird (I strongly disliked Korra in the first 2 episodes of the season, but the third episode redeemed her and her motivations for rejecting her father and Tenzin), and the secondary characters either have nothing to do (Mako, Bolin and Asami) or their story is so different as to be in another show (Tenzin's family reunion...which is actually my favourite part of the show right now). And don't get me started on the extreme obviousness of the villain (not that Amon and the other guy weren't obvious, but there was at least some mystery to them, or at least the appearance of a mystery). Korra, and Avatar, feels more like a cartoon than ever before.

That being said, I do like the story being presented. It's a little haphazard, and definitely not as well plotted out (or paced) as it could be, but it does appear to be shaping up into something interesting and exciting.

As an aside, I really like Korra. She is a fascinating character with some truly interesting character flaws. She is so fundamentally different from what we expect, and I would predict want, from an Avatar, that her stories necessitate a careful hand in crafting them around how she must fail and can succeed. I am always excited to find out just what will happen next, especially if the writers do not try to preach too much when having her character fail.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 23:15   Link #1091
takai
Easy Muffin

Looks like it's back to Republic City we go. And possibly seeing Commander Zuko-voice guy again. Enjoying this season a lot. I just hope Korra stops acting like she's on her period.

I actually loved Eska's face here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Varick is actually one of my faves right now among new cast
And of course his loyal assistant
I'm so glad someone else thinks this too.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 22:40   Link #1092
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Man...I cannot be the only one completely on Mako's side on all this can I? Korra's getting stupider each episode...
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 00:13   Link #1093
Renge
smile

I love korra but.... seriously I wouldnt defend her that much after this episode. Its like she is trying to start a new world wide war.
Renge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 01:24   Link #1094
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Man...I cannot be the only one completely on Mako's side on all this can I? Korra's getting stupider each episode...
I can't stand either of them to be honest, but in this instance yes, Korra was obviously in the wrong.

The show continues to be dogged by the same problems it has since the beginning. But on the plus side, I sense we may get a Zuko cameo soon.
Old 2013-10-05, 02:15   Link #1095
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Eh, people are being a bit hard on Korra, I think.

To be fair, she gave diplomacy and neutrality a try, and it blew up in her face. Plus, this is her family she's dealing with. Every second she dallies around in Republic City is another second Unalaq could be killing her friends and family. I can understand her frustration and anger.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 03:08   Link #1096
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The problem is that Korra is repeating the same cycle over and over. Overreact, fly off the handle, make the problem worse. if anything she's experiencing negative development as a character, it seems. I'd like to see some growth from her, but at this point I don't think we are.
Old 2013-10-05, 04:10   Link #1097
Xiyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I'm on Mako's side, but I'm reasonably sure the studio knows what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

To be fair, she gave diplomacy and neutrality a try, and it blew up in her face. Plus, this is her family she's dealing with. Every second she dallies around in Republic City is another second Unalaq could be killing her friends and family. I can understand her frustration and anger.
There was nothing diplomatic about what she did. She came in expecting the President to take her side and mobilise the troops and, when that failed, went behind his back to mobilise them herself.

Granted, I understand that Korra is panicking. Her family is in danger. Her tribe is in danger. But take a step back and think about what Korra is asking for: she wants to send the United Forces to war just to save her family. I don't know about you, but I find that to be selfish. There will be casualties on both sides.

Lastly, none of us know what Unalaq's endgame is. While it is true that none of what he has done inspires confidence, it is true that the spirits are going wild. Where does Unalaq come in? Maybe he is trying to rectify the situation but he's just not handling it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The problem is that Korra is repeating the same cycle over and over. Overreact, fly off the handle, make the problem worse. if anything she's experiencing negative development as a character, it seems. I'd like to see some growth from her, but at this point I don't think we are.
Amen.

Edit:

Forgot to add; does anybody get the feeling that Varrick staged the bombing?
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 08:42   Link #1098
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post

Yea, I have a feeling of that too. I really like Varrick, he's an awesome character...but he's also the type to do whatever to get what he wants.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 09:35   Link #1099
Friday
Im shy too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge View Post
I love korra but.... seriously I wouldnt defend her that much after this episode. Its like she is trying to start a new world wide war.
Quote:
I can't stand either of them to be honest, but in this instance yes, Korra was obviously in the wrong.

The show continues to be dogged by the same problems it has since the beginning. But on the plus side, I sense we may get a Zuko cameo soon.
is it just poor writing and that's the best they can come up with????

Quote:
I agree, it's like she has no dissent intelligence to say. Her brain is set on "Dumb Mode".
I feel sorry for the Voice Actress who has to read all that rubbish, now we just need Anng to show up to set her straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
I say no, it's her Uncle's doing....
what does Varrick gains from it....

Last edited by Friday; 2013-10-05 at 09:50.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 10:36   Link #1100
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I think we're supposed to be hard on Korra. She is seen as impetuous, stubborn and arrogant. And I like it. Korra is unlike any cartoon protagonist I've ever seen. She is an actual teenager thrust into a situation well beyond any semblance of understanding let alone control. Unlike Aang and his gang, who rolled with the punches in a very cartoonish way, Korra struggles with everything.

I loved the first season for the simple fact that Korra was deathly afraid of her antagonist, and the season was arguably all about trying to overcome her fear of an opponent that could destroy her very identity (her identity being only based around being the Avatar). While I don't feel the season necessarily ended on the best note, the journey was still very interesting. This season has also been interesting, if only because it seems to be about confronting Korra's growing arrogance, going out of its way to show her extreme shortcomings due to her arrogance and her lack of education (and her purposeful refusal to be educated).

Politics becoming a large aspect of the storyline is also very interesting, especially in regards to how politics interacts with faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
what does Varrick gains from it....
We've already seen Varrick start a civil war in the South, and now he is creating ways of profiting off the war via propaganda films, so I don't see why he couldn't or wouldn't try to escalate the tensions in order to further profit.

Additionally, Varrick is now part of a long line of people that tell Korra she's a genius when she's being stupid. As we know, anyone that goes out of their way to stroke Korra's ego that much is probably evil .

Last edited by james0246; 2013-10-05 at 14:16.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra