Notices

Old 2013-09-30, 11:18   Link #921
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I personally had thought that this would be rather tongue in cheek :

Disturbed - Stupify

or for a more serious take (always following on the heavy metal theme of the OP):

Disturbed - Infection

And I’m still afraid of the lights
And a thousand voices share their
Laughter at my demise

Now if I am to survive
The infection must die
Murder the beast
That’s been eating me alive
The infection must die

Powerful stuff.
Interesting, those were a couple other songs I had thought of. Shame I lack the time and software to make an AMV.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 11:27   Link #922
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Interesting, those were a couple other songs I had thought of. Shame I lack the time and software to make an AMV.
Don't tell me. I wish I had it. I have lots of ideas and no patience to put any of those in practice at all.
Like Aku no Hana with Radiohead's "Creep".
Or
Spoiler for Attack On Titan spoiler, female titan:

My other fanfiction can be found here.

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2013-09-30 at 21:04. Reason: spoiler tags added
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 21:30   Link #923
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's not my fault I'm not popular, it's because of Haruhi Terraformars and Airmaster.

TFM isn't even animated yet, so the reference came right out of the left field.
Heck they even did the personal data page. LOL at the Earth ranking
Old 2013-10-02, 22:30   Link #924
OkamiNoKaze

this show was pretty good, and hilarious. I think this show makes people laugh the same way people laugh at Youtube videos, and Johnny Knoxville's show. She needs more hugs for sure though. I really liked the opening, and the regular ending and the Miku ending for episode 6, I do have to wonder if that song was ever used in a music rhythm game, it would be a fun one. This show also had lots of wonderful references and parodies, the Haruhi ones were really good, it would have been funny if they could have got Sugita to play the parody "Kyon". I think Tomoko's house looks a lot like what we've seen of Kyon's house, or maybe that's just what an average modern Japanese house looks like. I'm not sure. In episode 11, I guess I was the only one thinking she was talking about "Steins;Gate" Madoka fits too though. Too bad it's over, I wouldn't mind another season or two.

I had an additional thought, I wonder why she never joined a club that catered to her interests, as we seen they have what looks like a manga club.

Last edited by OkamiNoKaze; 2013-10-02 at 23:20.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 12:01   Link #925
Utsuro no Hako

This was fast:

The English Tomoko sounds all right, but she's sure not Kitta Izumi.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 12:32   Link #926
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It's not my fault I'm not popular, it's because of Haruhi Terraformars and Airmaster.
Oh, so was the desperate running really a reference to Airmaster ED? I dismissed it as a coincidence.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 13:48   Link #927
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I still don't get the "another" reference. Can someone point it out for me?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 14:04   Link #928
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I still don't get the "another" reference. Can someone point it out for me?
It's when Tomoko wonders if her classmates are treating her as the 'invisible one", something the "Another" class did to try and get around an old curse. Even the characters shown are from that series.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 21:02   Link #929
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

What's this? Watamote is getting an English dub? What?
Old 2013-10-06, 21:52   Link #930
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
For the record so some AS users don't get hopelessly confused. That's just a PROMO for The Anime Network. It is NOT indicative of what the English dub will be like nor confirmation that they will dub it.
Old 2013-10-07, 13:17   Link #931
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
For the record so some AS users don't get hopelessly confused. That's just a PROMO for The Anime Network. It is NOT indicative of what the English dub will be like nor confirmation that they will dub it.
Yeah, still, I still think that Mokocchi is one of those characters that will be hard to find an equivalent in the English dub- kind of like Okabe Rintarou/HOUOUIN KYOMA of Steins;Gate.

That's not to say I don't have my imagining of what Tomoko would sound like if she magically became fluent in English, but the voice in the trailer is not it, and I doubt that there is any voice actor in any language that can capture Tomoko's character as perfectly as Kitta Izumi did.

That said, what do you guys think of the probability of a second season?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 13:24   Link #932
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post

That said, what do you guys think of the probability of a second season?
i think should definately make another season, there are many more things in the manga and this din't even complete the first year of her high school, i think the anime should follow the manga
Old 2013-10-11, 18:49   Link #933
darkchibi07

I know some of you guys love ANNCast so this week's episode had Zac and the others discussing Watamote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-10-11

They went fairly in depth with their overall impressions, how relatable Tomoko is, how solid they were in satirizing certain anime tropes, and so forth. It's fascinating to listen as it really encompasses pretty what everyone thought in this thread, and takes a stab at Kotaku for good measure.
Old 2013-10-11, 19:30   Link #934
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

1205 BDs for Watamote - so much for the hopes of a stealth audience. This is just more proof for me that the anime-buying public has horrible taste, and as long as they effectively run the production committees in the long-term, anime is screwed.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 21:49   Link #935
Utsuro no Hako

Well the manga's still selling well, but it doesn't look like there's been any boost from the anime. Which is yet more proof that manga readers have better taste than anime fans.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 21:57   Link #936
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Well the manga's still selling well, but it doesn't look like there's been any boost from the anime. Which is yet more proof that manga readers have better taste than anime fans.
Of that I have no doubt whatsoever.
Old 2013-10-11, 22:16   Link #937
Renge
smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
1205 BDs for Watamote - so much for the hopes of a stealth audience. This is just more proof for me that the anime-buying public has horrible taste, and as long as they effectively run the production committees in the long-term, anime is screwed.
Well.. I love watamote very much but I did not buy it and have no intention of buying it. However, If I had the money I could. Sometimes I believe animes are too expensive and I can't buy every single anime I like.

I think this is part of the problem too.. anyways I hope this gets a second season. A lot of people seemed to like it even if they felt awkward watching it : P
Renge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 22:33   Link #938
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge View Post
Well.. I love watamote very much but I did not buy it and have no intention of buying it. However, If I had the money I could. Sometimes I believe animes are too expensive and I can't buy every single anime I like.

I think this is part of the problem too.. anyways I hope this gets a second season. A lot of people seemed to like it even if they felt awkward watching it : P
I don't disagree that anime is too expensive for many people, but that seems to be the only way the studios can make a show profitable given the Japanese system where they're paying for their airtime on TV stations. Effectively, anime are commercials - be it for a BD, a DVD, a game or a manga.

The interesting part of this is that given how expensive anime is, why is it that the only shows being bought (mostly) are the ones we see being bought? Is it a question of what sort of motivation it takes to make people spend that kind of money? Is it a question of people with no families of their own - or even better, still living off their parents - being the only ones that can afford to by these Blu-rays?
Old 2013-10-11, 23:31   Link #939
darkchibi07

Considering how most otaku buys their anime for escapism, it's no surprise that not many of them would want to buy Watamote and rewatch it again. It's almost too meta and oddly fitting that BDs flopped there.

Maybe in some strange twist, it'll have better luck here.
Old 2013-10-12, 12:28   Link #940
Renge
smile

^ That is quite true. I still rewatch it for the lols and feels

still tomoko is a cutie and we all lover her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't disagree that anime is too expensive for many people, but that seems to be the only way the studios can make a show profitable given the Japanese system where they're paying for their airtime on TV stations. Effectively, anime are commercials - be it for a BD, a DVD, a game or a manga.

The interesting part of this is that given how expensive anime is, why is it that the only shows being bought (mostly) are the ones we see being bought? Is it a question of what sort of motivation it takes to make people spend that kind of money? Is it a question of people with no families of their own - or even better, still living off their parents - being the only ones that can afford to by these Blu-rays?
Yeah I really dunno how the anime business handles it.

I still try to help tho even if I don't buy them. I have a crunchy roll membership to watch anime legally and buy official merchandise from time to time.

If they were to make every anime digital to save me many problems and cheaper because they are not using discs or any paper, box, shipping etc. I would definitely buy more anime.

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life