Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-25, 16:43   Link #621
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say: You find Koukou hard to believe/realistic or not likable?
Both. Too extreme to be likable/relatable and convincing as a character.
Old 2013-10-25, 17:08   Link #622
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I'll take this one, thanks =03.
A good choice! I would have taken that one, if not for my loyalty towards Kirino-chan. So therefore Kouko has to make do with the signature.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:35   Link #623
Clarste
Human

As someone with a pretty bad temper I can relate to Kouko. Obviously it's exaggerated for the purposes of drama and/or to make her a more "broken" character archetype, but losing control of yourself when you're angry or frustrated is hardly weird. And not everyone loses control in quite the same way. Imagine Kouko's seemingly sadistic bullying of Oka as her version of incoherent ranting. She doesn't even realize what she's saying until she calms down afterward. Loss of control is very important: I think a lot of people are confused by the way she carries herself during her "episodes", which doesn't necessarily look like she's succumbed to her anger. I know I get particularly eloquent when I'm angry though. It has more to do with impulse control than anything else.

As for the rest of "plot devices" strewn about, I think it would helpful to step back and think about what the theme of the show itself is. And it has a pretty strong theme, which is present in every element of it. The theme is "throwing your past away and becoming a new person". This is of course deeply related to the college setting, which is symbolically about children becoming adults. We can see this theme in every main character: obviously Banri is someone who was forced to abandon his past and has to deal with that, Mitsuo is someone trying to run from his past, Kouko is chained by her past and its ruining her, etc. Even the cult from episode 3 dealt with this theme, by showing a "wrong" way to become a new person ("Neo-Children" anyone?). Heck, the plot specifically relied on Banri's accident being seen as a convincing reason for someone to join a cult.

That's not to say the writing is perfect or anything, and frankly I think the adaptation has been pretty bad to the source material, but I don't think it's quite as arbitrary in its plotting as some people believe.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 18:44   Link #624
Renge
smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Indeed, it might turn out OK, but until now the writing is not very promising, so excuse my pessimism.
same here.. I usually try not to judge any series until i have watched atleast 3 episodes but I mean.. its not getting any better.

I'm also trying to like koko.. but not happening. I wonder if she will have a sudden character change or she will stay like that the whole series.. which will probably make me drop this series.

Todaradora was way better than this. I mean it even had a really pretty beginning engaging story and likable characters.
Old 2013-10-25, 19:21   Link #625
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Loss of control is very important: I think a lot of people are confused by the way she carries herself during her "episodes", which doesn't necessarily look like she's succumbed to her anger. I know I get particularly eloquent when I'm angry though. It has more to do with impulse control than anything else.
Losing control over a specific issue is one thing. Going haywire every time is another one, which is confirmed with Mitsuo.
The series slammed hard on us that Koko was literally stalking Mitsuo ever since they were kids. I dunno about you, but Mitsuo was characterized in a consistent fashion: that he just can't deal with Koko's suffocating behaviour anymore, and keep saying he doesn't want to be her damn boyfriend.
At this point, she doesn't need emotion control but a frigging clue: however funny it was shown early in the series, Koko simply doesn't care of what Mitsuo thinks. Hell, this episode shows her using ridiculous statements like "we live nearby ever since we were kids!", without ever asking what -he feels-.

That's why her abuse on Chinami is the last straw because she doesn't reconsider her position, despite she is shown "intelligent enough" otherwise she wouldn't even realize she crossed the line after Mitsuo gave her the cold shoulder for her circus. I wouldn't be "that outraged" if her attitude was played like the usual stalker/yandere in a romcom (like Shouko in Baka Test etc), but her attitude is even part of the serious stuff there, which doesn't help because she isn't a airhead. She just magically transform into a complete different character when Mitsuo enters in this equation. And it comes even worse that her behaviour was kept unchecked for so many years, even though the consequences were nothing to laugh at in the end.
Quote:
The theme is "throwing your past away and becoming a new person". This is of course deeply related to the college setting, which is symbolically about children becoming adults.
You don't need amnesia for that.
I can't help but put emphasis on that: Banri was hardly shown as a character having a complex over what he "truly" is, nor a sense of misplaced purpose/existence. At most, he was shown with some misplaced apathy and a quick attraction towards Koko, nothing past that.

And remember that Banri exaggerated his amnesia story so that he can distract the cultist: he specifically said he was alone, while he admitted to Koko in the forest he had friends and his parents. Even if he might see them as strangers, it is still a certain number of person hanging around, instead of being truly isolated.

The absolute lack of tension and build up for Banri's issue are what make the amnesia plot device coming out of the left field, because it was only on the spur of the moment. In fact, if it wasn't for the cultist incident, we wouldn't learn his amnesia at that point of time, and it wouldn't make any difference to what he has done thus far! Really, if you put aside Banri's curveball, I don't see any remotely decent character development for either him or Koko. I think it is no exaggeration to state that without this revelation, you could just cut this incident and nothing relevant to the main story would be lost.

The show used a heavy "tell" narrative instead of the more subtle "show, don't tell" approach. The result is that the series shoehorned a very grave background to a seemly completely normal individual. And trust me, amnesiac persons hardly work like that, especially barely a year after he lost his memories.

Meanwhile, the fact they hardly show Chinami before that point is also yet another "tell" part, because you hardly had Chinami and Mitsuo shown together prior this episode. In fact, I didn't get why Koko was that jealous until Mitsuo told Banri he wants to date her. Instead of being a character on her own, Chinami was just a plot device that would force Mitsuo to confront Koko directly at some point.
At least, we get some points that "explains" why Mitsuo could be attracted by her... which is hardly the case for Koko towards him.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-10-26 at 05:20. Reason: typo
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 22:04   Link #626
whitecloud

well....just watched the show...as much as i like the show there are some part that i wish the show to improve upon, which is the flow of event...as LN reader, even though the pace in the novel is also a bit "complex" and sometime make you confused, at least there is some level of connection i guess...

but in the anime it like were being thrown from one scene to the next, like from after saving (there is no afterwards conclusion!!), the cafe (no beginning preparation by koko), the awa odori dance (so sad they don expand the scene.), the club (no drinking?)...it like all are separate entity....
Old 2013-10-26, 00:19   Link #627
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think this show is pretty well-written, actually, but it doesn't pull any punches, so it's kind of like drinking black coffee. It's going to be a bit strong for some people.

I felt a bit sorry for Koko, but by the same token, I think Mitsuo has been totally justified and vindicated.

"I don't want my boyfriend speaking to other girls."

"How many times do I have to tell you that talking is cheating?"

Aaahhh... I actually got shivers during these lines. This is like every guy's nightmare. The fact Mitsuo can even keep his composure while hearing such lines is impressive.

Mitsuo seemed a bit cold to me before, but I felt he handled things extremely well in Episode 4. He is completely justified in not wanting to get into a romantic relationship with Koko. At the same time, he was good enough to acknowledge that Koko is an old friend, and someone special to him due to their childhood history together.

So I just hope the narrative doesn't make him regret this, because he doesn't deserve to regret it. I hope he gets a happy ending with Chinami.
Old 2013-10-26, 00:24   Link #628
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Eh? But there's no guarantee that Chinami even likes him that way
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 00:26   Link #629
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hence the word "hope" in my post.
Old 2013-10-26, 00:50   Link #630
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
That's one part of this I'm looking forward to seeing more of. I mean Chinami certainly likes looking at beautiful people, what what's her interest level in a relationship anyways? Seems like a nice enough girl, but hard to say how things will unfold.

I can't blame him though for being interested. A cute girl who seems to be everything Kouko wasn't. At least he has plenty of chances to get closer sharing some classes and being in the same club.
Old 2013-10-26, 00:52   Link #631
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I felt a bit sorry for Koko, but by the same token, I think Mitsuo has been totally justified and vindicated.

"I don't want my boyfriend speaking to other girls."

"How many times do I have to tell you that talking is cheating?"

Aaahhh... I actually got shivers during these lines. This is like every guy's nightmare.
Yeah. Having dealt with a girl like that during my 20s, Kokou's portrayal is surprisingly real to me (if exaggerated). Even the remorse once they calmed down part (IRL not as quickly however, nor as introspective). If she were a real person, counselling would be an important step for her. In this place, it's likely that Banri will be of big help. He's brave to confess, after seeing how she can be.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 00:54   Link #632
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Both. Too extreme to be likable/relatable and convincing as a character.
*Shrugs*

You're looking at a person who is worse than Kouko, so..... I guess fact is stranger than fiction.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 01:04   Link #633
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Azure View Post
Yeah. Having dealt with a girl like that during my 20s, Kokou's portrayal is surprisingly real to me (if exaggerated). Even the remorse once they calmed down part (IRL not as quickly however, nor as introspective). If she were a real person, counselling would be an important step for her. In this place, it's likely that Banri will be of big help. He's brave to confess, after seeing how she can be.
Its because he has seen how she can be.

Both sides of her, not just the bad parts.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 01:12   Link #634
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
I think it certainly made sense for Banri. He's seen the bad sides, but knows that the good is there as well. And for better or worse she's one of the first people to make a real impact on the current him. Someone who can accept the Banri that isn't the same as the old one. In the end can't leave her alone.

In place of realistic counseling we've got Banri .
Old 2013-10-26, 01:13   Link #635
Dr. Casey

I was smiling so much during the scene where Kouko lashes out at Chinami. That was awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the aftermath of Banri's confession is handled. Speaking from personal experience, if you confess your feelings to someone and they change the subject, that's not a very good sign.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 01:15   Link #636
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
*Shrugs*

You're looking at a person who is worse than Kouko, so..... I guess fact is stranger than fiction.
Are you actually admitting you're an even more unlikeable person than Kouko? Props to you Ma'am
======

Anyways, I have to say, after this I really don't want to see Mitsuo fawning over Kouko again later. Even if Chinami doesn't romantically love him now, I would be happier if Mitsuo actually begins pursuing a genuine relationship with her. I'm expecting that would bring back the joy similar to Mayama x Rika from long ago
Old 2013-10-26, 01:17   Link #637
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Its because he has seen how she can be.

Both sides of her, not just the bad parts.
Yeah, he clearly likes her- which means her "passion" wouldn't be rebuffed. They (Koko and Banri together) will have to make sure their relationship is a healthy one. Signs point to that being likely, though it may not be a smooth ride.

I was just saying that if it were me, seeing that kind of possessiveness would give me pause. Especially having made a couple of other female friends like Banri has.

Last edited by Sound of Azure; 2013-10-26 at 01:18. Reason: if
Old 2013-10-26, 01:21   Link #638
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think it certainly made sense for Banri. He's seen the bad sides, but knows that the good is there as well. And for better or worse she's one of the first people to make a real impact on the current him. Someone who can accept the Banri that isn't the same as the old one. In the end can't leave her alone.

In place of realistic counseling we've got Banri .
Oh, sure. I don't think the Tada Banri we've come to know would be the kind of guy who would leave Kokou on her own, even if he weren't interested in her. I was just saying that I'd understand if he had some reservations. I would, but then... I'm not Tada Banri.
Old 2013-10-26, 01:29   Link #639
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Are you actually admitting you're an even more unlikeable person than Kouko? Props to you Ma'am
It's actually a comment at how obsession itself isn't the problem. It's obsession combined with social awkwardness that results in the disaster that was Kouko.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 01:34   Link #640
EroKing

Quote:
Yeah, he clearly likes her- which means her "passion" wouldn't be rebuffed. They (Koko and Banri together) will have to make sure their relationship is a healthy one. Signs point to that being likely, though it may not be a smooth ride.
has
Needless to say this being 26 episodes it is going to be a bumpy ride Though I wonder with things moving quickly like in the latest episode will they do something like Itazura na Kiss and go past the marriage stage. That would be very interesting to see

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen