Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-01-01, 03:52   Link #1
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Feb6 View Post
The optic nerve sits right against the brain.

If you are having vision troubles, you might have a tumor. Go see a doctor tommorrow.
The hell? Re-read the history and presentation.

iKumdo: You already answered yourself. You need to get your eyes checked. It's a depth perception issue. One eye is weaker than the other. We need both eyes to establish depth perception. Even though you may feel nauseated or disoriented with corrected lens, it's temporary. Let your eyes get used to it.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 16:53   Link #2
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Any optometrists here?

I know I should go see one myself, but I don't know if I should spend the money to do so. Here's my problem, if anyone thinks it's serious enough, I'm going to one.

I have great vision, I can see near and far just as well as anyone. The problem I have is that, most of my vision comes from my right eye. So if my right eye is closed, I can't see very well at all. I tried glasses, but because the lens is only on my left eye, it would make me dizzy and feel sick. The doctor said contact lenses would remedy all that, but I thought it was useless since I can see if both eyes are open anyways. Two years ago I started kendo and a year ago, I started driving. An issue that came up was depth perception. I never noticed it before, but I was told I seemed to have an issue with this. This is noticeable when I do kendo, I keep going too close to my opponent, and in driving I stop further away from the lines/cars than normal people. I couldn't careless about the driving, cause it never caused me troubles, except when paraellel parking. Kendo however, was a problem. Distance is incredibly important you see.

My mom went out and got me trial contacts recently. These lenses were "configured" to what my eyes were like last year, so it's not a great match. Apparently, my eye has gotten worse since then. I put them on and I didn't seem to notice too many differences, until the second day. I went up the curb while trying to park, and lightly hit a pole in the parking lot. I also ended up poking my gf in the eye when I was reaching out my hand. So, what do you think? What's seems to be the problem? Is the depth perception problem coming from my mind? Or is there something I should do about my eyes?
Old 2006-11-27, 17:19   Link #3
jedinat

My vision is much worse in my right eye than my left... I naturally look at objects far away with my left eye, and objects up close with my right. When I first started wearing glasses my eyes felt a little strained, but I got used to it quickly. (I put on and take off my glasses all the time without any disorientation) I had a little problem with depth perception when I first started driving with my glasses... but I'm not careless, I've never hit anything ^^;;

Maybe just be a bit more careful? You should be able to judge distances by size I think... I know people can live fine with one eye...

~edit~ don't take anything I say very seriously as I'm obviously not an optometrist...
Your mom going out and getting you out of date contacts is probably not the best thing for your eyes. If your distance perception is so vital to you, I'd just go get fitted for some new glasses/contacts. (I don't understand why contacts would be less disorienting than glasses)

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-11-27 at 17:37.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 17:27   Link #4
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
My vision is much worse in my right eye than my left... I naturally look at objects far away with my left eye, and objects up close with my right. When I first started wearing glasses my eyes felt a little strained, but I got used to it quickly. (I put on and take off my glasses all the time without any disorientation) I had a little problem with depth perception when I first started driving with my glasses... but I'm not careless, I've never hit anything ^^;;

Maybe just be a bit more careful? You should be able to judge distances by size I think... I know people can live fine with one eye...
Everything was fine without the lens on, but when I put it on, I hit the curb while driving. I don't know how it would affect my kendo. Nothing else matters, cause I did everything perfectly fine without lens on.

Man, my left eye is horrible.
Old 2006-11-27, 17:28   Link #5
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure
It is very common to have stronger vision in one eye than the other. For example, my right eye is stonger than my left, according to my optician. Although, I don't particularly notice a difference myself.

Options to correct this could include, wearing a patch over the stronger eye for a certain amount of time each day. Or corrective laser eye surgery on the weak eye.

I'm not too sure about other forms of treatment, as those are the only ones I've seen people do so far.
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 17:35   Link #6
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael_Azure View Post
It is very common to have stronger vision in one eye than the other. For example, my right eye is stonger than my left, according to my optician. Although, I don't particularly notice a difference myself.

Options to correct this could include, wearing a patch over the stronger eye for a certain amount of time each day. Or corrective laser eye surgery on the weak eye.

I'm not too sure about other forms of treatment, as those are the only ones I've seen people do so far.
Except my left eye is nearly blind (exaggerated, but if both my eyes were like that, I'd need pretty thick glasses) and my right eye is nearly perfect. That's not common.
Old 2006-11-27, 17:39   Link #7
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

My eye detriation was very quick, at the age of 8 i noticed i couldnt see the white board in class as well as before. I went to the Optom, he said it was probably herditery(sp?) as most of my family have glasses. However my eyesight kept getting worse, the Optom then said he would put me on a course of changing lenses ending with me using bifocals. It worked my eye sight is stable, bad eyesight but not getting worse.

The best thing is to find a good Optom who can advise and help you. I dont know in america but my treatment was free and so where lenses until i was 18.

Also i would have thick lenses, but i got thinned ones, Kodak lenses i think. Its not much of a problem if you get good rims then they dont look bad. Glasses are sexy anyway =D
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 00:02   Link #8
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

If you are having vision troubles, you might have a tumor. Go see a doctor tommorrow.
Tommy Feb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 00:41   Link #9
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Feb6 View Post

For two years without any other effects? I think not. My best friend had a brain tumour, and there were other effects which took place a lot more rapidly.
Old 2006-11-28, 00:45   Link #10
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
you know what's scary.....? my right eye is 50 degrees, and my left eye is 800 degrees. strange eh.....? i have something called a "lazy eye".
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 00:50   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
For two years without any other effects? I think not. My best friend had a brain tumour, and there were other effects which took place a lot more rapidly.

Not always, depending on the rate of the growth and how/where the growth occur. You might not have any symtoms other then what happening to your eye. Go to the optomirist and get a complete eye checkup.
Old 2006-11-28, 00:51   Link #12
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
you know what's scary.....? my right eye is 50 degrees, and my left eye is 800 degrees. strange eh.....? i have something called a "lazy eye".
My mother has a slightly lazy eye, but not enough to freak people out with hehe.
I know a kid with one fake eye, it scares me a little.
Old 2006-11-28, 01:57   Link #13
iKumdo
Chodan

Quote:
Actually, I've had this issue since 7 years ago. Have seen the optometrist twice since. I just have one near sighted eye, and one regular one.
Old 2006-12-05, 04:23   Link #14
swollenhead

i have lazy eyes too. my left eye is perfect but my right eye is 400 degrees. and it's farsightedness. positive... not negative...... =_= and im only 15......... i think only older people have farsightedness........ zzzz........
i hate wearing glasses. they make me super giddy. haha they keep telling me my right eye is gonna be useless if i don't start wearing glasses now.............. but sigh.....
swollenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 04:31   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I don't need to see my eye doctor, been once and i have 20/20 vision. I see better than my sister with her glasses on ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 09:33   Link #16
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
That's umm...great Aoie. As for seeing an optometrist, go to a different doctor if your current one is not helping and be sure to explain all the symptoms along with what you want corrected and you will be satisfied. You know best what is going on, but you can't expect them to magically figure it out. Perhaps what you'll end up doing is wearing one contact. But I'd suggest if you are making posts on forums about the subject, its a big enough problem where you should visit an eye doctor. When in doubt, just go.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 11:16   Link #17
P.G.
Rated P.G. Superstar

Send a message via MSN to P.G.
well sometimes... there are some time when a split second my vision is all white or blurring... @@~
P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 11:29   Link #18
Shiemi
Counting days

I'm not an Optometrist or anything like that, but thought if giving my two cents. In my homeland if you have a minor visual problem you go to an an optometrist and if the visual problem might be more medical then you go to an ophthalmologist. Also, when children will start school they are required a medical certificate from an Ophthalmologist rather than from an Optometrist. Optometrists are O.Ds while Ophthalmologists are M.Ds. Maybe you should consider changing from an Optometrist to an Ophthalmologist if you need a very throughout examination and deeper vision care treatment.
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote