AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-17, 13:11   Link #261
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Funny, I see it as an encouragement a big brother would provide to a little sister. Singing a song doesn't mean jack. That is hardly romantic. It is a nice moment where two persons can share what they have in their minds, but to become romantically involved is a totally different story.

"Him looking for her in the crowd in episode 1"

Give me a break, its only normal to wish someone well even if you met that person for the first time. Certainly Alto did not dwell on that feeling very long. How romantic is that?!

"Volunteering to take part in the movie to get Ranka more screen time"

He initially refused because the director also wanted him to dress up like a woman!

Seeing how the production was halted because a certain actor did not want to go underwater, getting Alto to substitute was the fastest and most efficient choice. Unless you have a better idea to get the production going without using Alto, the only male on the set to resemble the actor playing Shinn.

"Carrying her down the mountain"

What was he supposed to do? Leave her up there?
So a girl singing a song for you doesn't sound at least slightly romantic? Are you constantly living in denial. If it was only the river then you would be able to understand.

Well he did stay focused on her for awhile with that camera. He didn't have much time to dwell cause the Vajra attacked and they had to evacuate.

Yes the director wanted him to dress up but when Alto went to accept the role he had no idea about Shin incident. He got lucky because of that he didn't have to dress up as a girl but doesn't mean he wouldn't have if it called for it.

He could have waited for her to wake up before going down but even still the act of carrying a girl on your back all the way down a mountain is slightly romantic. Maybe some girls out there would at least think so.

Quote:
And what evidence do you have to support this conclusion? He already promised her that he will 'definitely' bring it back to her. Thus he did plan on visiting Sheryl, its just how and when.
If you read the message I'm quoting I'm referring to the specific time right before he leaves for the battle in EP6. Yes he did plan on visiting Sheryl eventually but that has no bearing on what I said as he planned to visit neither right before that battle in Ep6.

Quote:
Yeah, and he didn't want to. Ranka was the one who threw her arms around him. What was he supposed to do? Push her aside. This 'sensitivity' was not him taking the initiative, it was only a natural response.
As much of a natural response as it was it still him shows he understands her fear. He could have kept quiet, he could have just let her embrace him without embracing back.

Quote:
Its not her causing Alto to open up, this is just the way Alto is. The same way he interacts with Mikhail, from a negative starting point to finally encouraging him to take a shot at the end of Episode 9.

- Tak
No, Klan fixed that situation but explaining Michael's past. Without her they probably would have continued to mistrust the other. Alto doesn't open up until someone stimulates him too and then you usually have to push pass some barriers.
Old 2008-06-17, 13:17   Link #262
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
My guess then, is you haven't lived long enough. Or haven't been exposed to enough different cultures, cities, and people. Hard to say though since you haven't filled out your profile.
Hey I did put down where I live... and you're my neighbor, so go figure.

Anyway, I like to think it's quite the opposite of that; there's a reason I got the handle I use... but then being somewhat of a traveller/drifter has advantages and disadvantages... you can meet alot of people along the way if you're open to it, but if you're hard up... eh... this forum isn't about me. I'm 33 now and alot more settled, albeit single ATM.

Quote:
If you truly believe that men and women don't think that differently, you haven't looked into very many marriages and relationships. Not only are the hobbies different, but the personalities, even the roles are generally different. Yet they are consistent with the way men and women think. There are always exceptions, but this is a topic where the liberal way of thinking that men and women are the same, is a complete lie. We're equal, but very, very different
I'm honestly kind of burned out by the self defense/analysis up there ^ but overall, you're right. However, alot of that is social norms, or cultural, or physical. Yes, it has been pretty much scientifically proven that there are minor differences in how men and women process information, hormones, etc. and there are things men are better at than women and vice versa (although I don't know if that's PC to say really).

What I'm trying to say is that, (and I'm sure alot of this comes from having to play relationship counselor for some female friends lately) especially when you're taking marriage and relationships into account, aspirations, insecurities, etc. etc. really aren't any different at all.

Doesn't mean I think women are any less crazy tho...
Old 2008-06-17, 13:23   Link #263
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
No, Klan fixed that situation but explaining Michael's past. Without her they probably would have continued to mistrust the other. Alto doesn't open up until someone stimulates him too and then you usually have to push pass some barriers.
You just proved my point.

Your implication was that Ranka was so special, to the point where she could magically cause Alto to open up. While I am telling you, Alto is like that to any of his friends, no matter who. I certainly did not say Alto was able to do all that on his own, but this aspect of his character is not limited to Ranka. You keep on pushing buttons and he will eventually open up, thus I said this is just the way Alto is.

Thus making Ranka not so special in this regard.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-17, 13:36   Link #264
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You just proved my point.

Your implication was that Ranka was so special, to the point where she could magically cause Alto to open up. While I am telling you, Alto is like that to any of his friends, no matter who. I certainly did not say Alto was able to do all that on his own, but this aspect of his character is not limited to Ranka. You keep on pushing buttons and he will eventually open up, thus I said this is just the way Alto is.

Thus making Ranka not so special in this regard.

- Tak
I never said she was so special. I said he has a tendency to open up more around her that doesn't mean he doesn't open up to others when they push him. It's you who's trying to put words into my mouth. Your statement implied Ranka's words had nothing to do with opening him up but I disagree with that. Much the same that Klan's words made he open up to Michael, Ranka words did the same.
Old 2008-06-17, 14:43   Link #265
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
^ I did not realize that ani_d was a chick. That makes complete sense then why she can't understand Alto(or us guys in general) then.

My apologies for sounding harsh if I ever did ani_d. I didn't mean it. Please understand though, that men think vastly different than women do. Hormones, thought processes, physical traits, everything is different with us. Some men might have feminine features or emotions, but as a general rule, we are very different.

VERY different.

On a different note, I most definitely have to get the manga now. I'm really liking some of the changes vs the anime.
Yes, makes a lot of sense. And as a woman myself, having spent so much time with men for so long, the signs are quite clear to me.

PLUS, the story composition was written by a man so it's inevitable. There's just a clear cut difference between how men and women draft their characters and storylines. Moreso in Japan...

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-06-17, 14:47   Link #266
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post

Doesn't mean I think women are any less crazy tho...
LOL, you hit it right on the mark....we women are crazy at times

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-06-17, 15:06   Link #267
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
I never said she was so special. I said he has a tendency to open up more around her that doesn't mean he doesn't open up to others when they push him. It's you who's trying to put words into my mouth. Your statement implied Ranka's words had nothing to do with opening him up but I disagree with that. Much the same that Klan's words made he open up to Michael, Ranka words did the same.
How often has he opened up to Ranka? Case in point, she knows NOTHING about him. If he would have been opening up to her, she'd at least be able to pick up on his moods, his feelings, etc. Sheryl has such a leg up on Ranka in this category it's not even comparable.

You bring up Ranka singing for Alto in episode 3, you really think she was just singing for him? She also sang infront of Sheryl too the end of episode 2. Was she singing for Sheryl then?

I've sung infront of girls before, and it was never intended to be romantic. I don't have the world's best voice, but I love singing too(even did a trio at a Navy Wedding Reception with my dad and a friend of his a few years ago ).

Most of the content in your posts, are really, really reaching.
Old 2008-06-17, 15:07   Link #268
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
LOL, you hit it right on the mark....we women are crazy at times

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
You women are bat-$hit crazy, but we men still love you for it, and inspite of it.
Old 2008-06-17, 15:17   Link #269
Tak

Quote:
Putting words in your mouth?

You were the one who insist on this non-existent romantic feeling between Alto and Ranka. You want to associate everything Ranka does with Alto to be romantic, when there is anything but. If I put words in your mouth, you were clearly asking for it anyway.

Yeah, Ranka's situation with Alto is not that special. I've had my score of female friends who I'd hang out with and do everything friends would do, but steer the hell away from the more intimate acts performed by couples. Never gave me any feelings of 'romance', and based on personal experience, I simply see what Ranka and Alto doing to be nothing particularly special.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-17, 15:18   Link #270
Tak

Quote:
You women are bat-$hit crazy, but we men still love you for it, and inspite of it.
Allow me to say this:

Ah, women, you can't live with them, you can't live without them.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-17, 15:28   Link #271
Slick_rick

Quote:
How often has he opened up to Ranka? Case in point, she knows NOTHING about him. If he would have been opening up to her, she'd at least be able to pick up on his moods, his feelings, etc. Sheryl has such a leg up on Ranka in this category it's not even comparable.

You bring up Ranka singing for Alto in episode 3, you really think she was just singing for him? She also sang infront of Sheryl too the end of episode 2. Was she singing for Sheryl then?

I've sung infront of girls before, and it was never intended to be romantic. I don't have the world's best voice, but I love singing too(even did a trio at a Navy Wedding Reception with my dad and a friend of his a few years ago ).

Most of the content in your posts, are really, really reaching.
Explain to me what great truths Sheryl knows about Alto that Ranka doesn't? Ranka has been show to pick up on his moods and feelings she's not good about confronting him about it.

Actually Ranka was singing to the VF-25 pilots not to Sheryl because she was worried about them. She feels sad about the possibility that some of them could die probably using her own feeling about her brother. Singing in front of a group of people is different that singing for someone alone. Its much more personal and special.

Of course I'm reaching. You said there were no scenes with no romantic undertones. I'm showing you that they're plenty. While not overt they're scenes which can be viewed as romantic.
Old 2008-06-17, 15:36   Link #272
Terra

Alto encouraged her to push past her shyness and reach for her dream. It gave her the confidence to sing in front of Alto. It wasn't meant to be romantic. It was just Ranka having been given the confidence to sing in front of someone properly for the first time. To be heard.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:02   Link #273
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Alto encouraged her to push past her shyness and reach for her dream. It gave her the confidence to sing in front of Alto. It wasn't meant to be romantic. It was just Ranka having been given the confidence to sing in front of someone properly for the first time. To be heard.
It's primary purpose might not be romance but that not what I'm arguing. There are still romantic undertones even though the goal isn't romance. Lots of scenes are like this. Sheryl has a some also. When he delivers the earring back he's not there to be romantic but even so romantic undertones do come into play when they are talking. Don't pretend she doesn't have romantic undertones with him and then exalt ever little scene he has with Sheryl to make it seem like they are some sort of kindred spirits.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:14   Link #274
cerrian

Quote:
It's primary purpose might not be romance but that not what I'm arguing. There are still romantic undertones even though the goal isn't romance. Lots of scenes are like this. Sheryl has a some also. When he delivers the earring back he's not there to be romantic but even so romantic undertones do come into play when they are talking. Don't pretend she doesn't have romantic undertones with him and then exalt ever little scene he has with Sheryl to make it seem like they are some sort of kindred spirits.

You're mixing the characters' perspective with the audiences' perspective of the scenes with romantic undertones. Most of us are discussing the relationships while keeping the characters' perspective in mind and ignoring the audience points of view. Just because a director decides to present a scene with romantic tones does not necessarily mean that the characters involved with the scene are having any romantic feelings.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:22   Link #275
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
100% seconded
Old 2008-06-17, 16:35   Link #276
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
You're mixing the characters' perspective with the audiences' perspective of the scenes with romantic undertones. Most of us are discussing the relationships while keeping the characters' perspective in mind and ignoring the audience points of view. Just because a director decides to present a scene with romantic tones does not necessarily mean that the characters involved with the scene are having any romantic feelings.
We'll ignoring the audience point of view is kinda of silly IMO. The director obviously makes those with romantic tones on to push couples because even if the couples aren't completely aware of the romantic nature of the scene doesn't mean that they don't affect the characters future development.

Now even if we ignore the audience point of view we still have some with the characters. Ranka obviously finds things about Alto rescuing her, encouraging her to pursue her singing career, and listening to her problems as romantic or else she wouldn't have feelings for him. Sheryl too found the fly around town romantic, the trip to the mall, and him returning her earring. We don't know if Alto found any of these things romantic he seemed to be returning the earring from pity, flying around town seemed bothersome to him and so did the trip to the mall. Alto doesn't seem to take any of Ranka scene romantically either. If people were honestly only looking at the characters view they wouldn't somehow believe that the earring scene was so sort of confession from Alto of his undying love for Sheryl. (Yes I know I'm exaggerating but still close enough to the truth.)
Old 2008-06-17, 17:29   Link #277
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Here's the latest Sheryl blog entry.

2008-06-17

Title: If only this were a song...

I'm not very good at bargaining.

But I'm even worse at taking things as they stand.

That's why I've thought up a somewhat unfair plan that may change the thought process.

Really, if only this were a song, I would be able to let them know straight out,

right...?

Sheryl
July 23, 2059

And I don't want to usurp Lonewolf's place, but I translated this Sheryl-centric line from Ranka's latest entry. This is from an old magazine interview that Sheryl had and the date for Ranka's entry is sometime in February.

"Sheryl Nome does not know the meaning of the words "giving in to flattery".

P.S. Ranka is such a Sheryl fangirl.
Old 2008-06-17, 17:53   Link #278
justinstrife

Quote:
We don't know if Alto found any of these things romantic he seemed to be returning the earring from pity, flying around town seemed bothersome to him and so did the trip to the mall. Alto doesn't seem to take any of Ranka scene romantically either. If people were honestly only looking at the characters view they wouldn't somehow believe that the earring scene was so sort of confession from Alto of his undying love for Sheryl. (Yes I know I'm exaggerating but still close enough to the truth.)
Alto returned the earring to Sheryl out of pity? Where the hell did you come up with that assumption??? :t witch:

Out of pity? Are you typing that, and believing it with a straight face?

Why did he blush and look away when he gave the earring back to Sheryl? Why did he look at the earring affectionately after he hung it up inside the cockpit of the fighter? Why was he staring at it scenes later before the battle started?

The whole earring thing was NOT out of pity.
Old 2008-06-17, 18:01   Link #279
Tak

Quote:

Out of pity? Are you typing that, and believing it with a straight face?
Yeah, when I initially read it, I was dumbfounded. Out of pi... the fu*k?

Where the hell was the pity in THAT!? Of all we know Alto wanted a heart-to-heart conversation with Sheryl as his first battle approaches. I think he was seeking equilibrium, there was no pity.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-17, 18:03   Link #280
Terra

I'm beginning to think that some people see any interaction between Alto and Sheryl/Ranka as romantic, when they're not. It's like the second they're in the same room it's classed as romantic by some people. It's a bit ridiculous.

Tags
romance