AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-21, 19:45   Link #21
LostHanyou

Air and Ano Hana made you cry, but Grave of the Fireflies didn't? WHAT?
Old 2012-01-21, 19:59   Link #22
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Here are my personal tear jerkers:
  1. Air
  2. Wolf's Rain
  3. Kowarekake no Orgel
Old 2012-01-21, 20:09   Link #23
Elegance

I've seen cross game. instead of the drama being only in episode 1, it goes through out the series especially season 1.
Old 2012-01-21, 21:03   Link #24
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHanyou View Post
Air and Ano Hana made you cry, but Grave of the Fireflies didn't? WHAT?
XD

Like I said before, I'm really biased against anime movies.

As for Air, I would've dropped it after a couple of episodes, but I forced myself to finish due to all the hype. It was worth it in the end because a certain scene managed to unblock my lacrimal ducts just enough for some tears to seep through for a very brief moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deikan View Post
Here are my personal tear jerkers:
  1. Air
  2. Wolf's Rain
  3. Kowarekake no Orgel
Wolf's Rain - decent anime, but not tear jerking for me
Kowarekake no Orgel - 1 episode (28 min) anime? Interesting... will report back very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
I've seen cross game. instead of the drama being only in episode 1, it goes through out the series especially season 1.
I'll give Major a try I suppose.
Old 2012-01-21, 21:19   Link #25
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

You might want to add Kannagi to the list. It isn't exactly tearjerking, but some episode (expecially near the end) is melancholic and if you are in the mood, it will work out. It is an enjoyable show anyways, i suggest you don't stop at the first episode. Despite the first impression you might get on the graphic, the animation is very good. You'll like the character of Nagi aswell.

Still, i suggest you first watch Angel Beats and the two episodes of Haruhi + the disappearance. Those will most likely do the job.
Old 2012-01-21, 21:20   Link #26
Stealther

Try the j-drama tv-series 1 Litre of Tears, based on a real story and diary.
Old 2012-01-21, 22:45   Link #27
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
You might want to add Kannagi to the list. It isn't exactly tearjerking, but some episode (expecially near the end) is melancholic and if you are in the mood, it will work out. It is an enjoyable show anyways, i suggest you don't stop at the first episode. Despite the first impression you might get on the graphic, the animation is very good. You'll like the character of Nagi aswell.

Still, i suggest you first watch Angel Beats and the two episodes of Haruhi + the disappearance. Those will most likely do the job.
Will take a look at Kannagi, trailer seems alright graphic-wise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
Try the j-drama tv-series 1 Litre of Tears, based on a real story and diary.
Been a while since I've watched jdrama; I heard good things about 1 litre of tears. I'll try to watch it when I'm in the mood.

I've watched a fair share of sad jdramas, but none of them was able produce tears for me.
Old 2012-01-22, 05:48   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Madoka.... I think.
Old 2012-01-22, 23:34   Link #29
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Kobato, my #1 favorite tear jerker.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2012-01-22, 23:45   Link #30
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Kobato - this one has some romance in it, albeit highly innocent stuff
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Kowarekake no Orgel OVA (It would be so wrong if I did not mention this one since my user name is of the main character! )

All of them were very moving.

For me I would also add the Aria trilogy. It is more of a "being deeply touched by something beautiful" bringing forth of tears as opposed to "being moved by sadness".
Old 2012-01-23, 13:38   Link #31
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Madoka.... I think.
Just finished Madoka. Never thought I'd see the day where I regret not watching a magical girl anime genre xD.

I remembered watching 1st episode when it first came out and thought it was just another typical/predictable good guy vs bad guy fighting anime with weird graphics. So, I just dropped it without a second thought despite all the praises.

Bottom line: awesome anime but not emotional enough for my tears to flow unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
It would be great if you could elaborate on why that is without spoiling the show. It seems to be a very slow, drawn out, and predictable anime for me. =/

If it's anything like Aria then I probably won't watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Kobato - this one has some romance in it, albeit highly innocent stuff
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Kowarekake no Orgel OVA (It would be so wrong if I did not mention this one since my user name is of the main character! )

All of them were very moving.

For me I would also add the Aria trilogy. It is more of a "being deeply touched by something beautiful" bringing forth of tears as opposed to "being moved by sadness".
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin - already been suggested
Kobato - see above quote (same as this post)
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - already been suggested
Kowarekake no Orgel - already been suggested
Aria - Not my brand of whiskey
Old 2012-01-23, 14:27   Link #32
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

CODE GEASS is pretty much tear-jerking in my opinion, especially during the 2nd season, when the emotions came running high.
Naruto is also one of my tear jerking animes (esp since I read the manga).
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, the second season, is tear-jerking as well. Family-related emotional problems always gets to me :/
Old 2012-01-24, 00:50   Link #33
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
CODE GEASS is pretty much tear-jerking in my opinion, especially during the 2nd season, when the emotions came running high.
Naruto is also one of my tear jerking animes (esp since I read the manga).
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, the second season, is tear-jerking as well. Family-related emotional problems always gets to me :/
Code Geass - One of my fav anime of all time.. I don't see it as a tear-jerking anime though ;o
Naruto - One Piece is far superior conveying deep emotion imo...
Nanoha - 1 magical girl anime per year is my limit xD (just finished Madoka today)

------

Just finished Angel Beats! also. Awesome anime. I probably would've shed tears if it was more than 13 episodes to allow more character development. It was a great watch nonetheless.

Couldn't believe I dropped this anime after 1 episode like I did with Madoka. I guess I'll give new anime at least 3 episodes before dropping them from now.
Old 2012-01-24, 01:07   Link #34
king12354

Full Moon Wo Sagashite It's shoujo, but it is really well done especially the songs, including the sad ones.

Xxxholic. Certain arcs are tearjerkers and the storytelling is high quality.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
has awesome soundtrack and the initial conflict causes a lot of heartache, at least for me. The plot crossovers with Xxxholic.
Old 2012-01-24, 02:16   Link #35
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

On the side note, you didn't think the ending of Code Geass (2nd season) was tear jerking at all? I totally forgot about that and would actually rank that #1 over Kobato.

Quote:
Ah, didn't see that you wanted more elaboration. I haven't watched Aria, doesn't look appealing to me, but aside from reading a quick summary from like ANN, the tear jerking part doesn't come till the last 2 or 3 episodes (pretty much like Air. I know what you mean about not feeling it till the end, Kobato was the same for me). Not really sure if it's "slow" per se, since we all have our own opinions on what is slow. I didn't think it was "slow" in the sense of any romance/drama. It was simply a girl trying to help out other people so that her wish can be granted (that's pretty much what ANN says); However, it MIGHT seem slow because it IS 24 episodes long, but each set of episodes (like 2-3 episodes) revolve around helping one person out and moving onto the next. Though being 24 episodes long, each episode pretty much follows one another and not necessarily random characters always popping in.

It's not really hardcore drama or anything and something good always comes out in the end after helping each person out, but its the female protagonist that is really in trouble. I think Kobato is slow in terms of achieving her goal, which makes the series 24 episodes long.

If you can make it to the end I think it will be worth it even though the first 20 or so episodes may be boring. I mean I would even tell you to watch the last two episodes, but you wouldn't understand what happened >_<. Can't say enough, but I think the anime is worth watching till the end. If you have to, skim through the episodes, I guarantee the ending will be worth it.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2012-01-24, 13:14   Link #36
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Concerning tear jerker, anything written by Jun Maeda... Air, Kanon, Clannad, Little Busters ( Game recently got translated, I wrote an in depth summary if you can't get the game.) Angel Beats...

A good Manga (and subsequently slaughtered by Anime) is Kodomo no Omocha... The manga is top notch, and do not be fooled. It is actually a deep thought out story and you'll be bawling later on.

AnoHana got me... the end was... beautiful.

I'll think of more examples later on, but Little Busters! comes highly recomended, although it never got made into Anime, partially because the anime would be hard to represent, and the fact that KyoAni only works on one anime at one time, and since K-On!!! is giving them enough money as it is... Kodomo no Omocha is the top choice you'll want to check out, remember only the manga. The anime is not even close, and is aimed at kids.

Cheers;
Niker
Old 2012-01-25, 10:16   Link #37
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Aishiteruze Baby is rather sad as well. It's about a 5 years old kid who's abandoned by her mom after her dad died and was placed in her High Schooler cousin's care. I found it sad, but I don't know about you xD
Old 2012-01-25, 14:36   Link #38
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Full Moon Wo Sagashite It's shoujo, but it is really well done especially the songs, including the sad ones.

Xxxholic. Certain arcs are tearjerkers and the storytelling is high quality.

has awesome soundtrack and the initial conflict causes a lot of heartache, at least for me. The plot crossovers with Xxxholic.
Full Moon Wo Sagashite - Easy watch. Gets emotional at times, but no tears. It was a tolerable watch for me back then, but I'd probably drop it after a couple of episodes nowadays.

xxxholic - never could get myself into this series after finishing Tsubasa Chronicles, which was so-so

- I'd probably look into this if I ever get back into Tsubasa Chronicles franchise (very unlikely at the moment).

Quote:
On the side note, you didn't think the ending of Code Geass (2nd season) was tear jerking at all? I totally forgot about that and would actually rank that #1 over Kobato.

Ah, didn't see that you wanted more elaboration. I haven't watched Aria, doesn't look appealing to me, but aside from reading a quick summary from like ANN, the tear jerking part doesn't come till the last 2 or 3 episodes (pretty much like Air. I know what you mean about not feeling it till the end, Kobato was the same for me). Not really sure if it's "slow" per se, since we all have our own opinions on what is slow. I didn't think it was "slow" in the sense of any romance/drama. It was simply a girl trying to help out other people so that her wish can be granted (that's pretty much what ANN says); However, it MIGHT seem slow because it IS 24 episodes long, but each set of episodes (like 2-3 episodes) revolve around helping one person out and moving onto the next. Though being 24 episodes long, each episode pretty much follows one another and not necessarily random characters always popping in.

It's not really hardcore drama or anything and something good always comes out in the end after helping each person out, but its the female protagonist that is really in trouble. I think Kobato is slow in terms of achieving her goal, which makes the series 24 episodes long.

If you can make it to the end I think it will be worth it even though the first 20 or so episodes may be boring. I mean I would even tell you to watch the last two episodes, but you wouldn't understand what happened >_<. Can't say enough, but I think the anime is worth watching till the end. If you have to, skim through the episodes, I guarantee the ending will be worth it.
Of course I feel emotional when I watch tear-jerking moments in anime. However, I'm more interested in the degree and intensity the anime brings about. Some anime express/deliver this better than others, and I'm looking for the ones that could overwhelm my harder-to-breakdown-than-most emotional barriers which results in me to cry like a little baby. (no homo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
Concerning tear jerker, anything written by Jun Maeda... Air, Kanon, Clannad, Little Busters ( Game recently got translated, I wrote an in depth summary if you can't get the game.) Angel Beats...

A good Manga (and subsequently slaughtered by Anime) is Kodomo no Omocha... The manga is top notch, and do not be fooled. It is actually a deep thought out story and you'll be bawling later on.

AnoHana got me... the end was... beautiful.

I'll think of more examples later on, but Little Busters! comes highly recomended, although it never got made into Anime, partially because the anime would be hard to represent, and the fact that KyoAni only works on one anime at one time, and since K-On!!! is giving them enough money as it is... Kodomo no Omocha is the top choice you'll want to check out, remember only the manga. The anime is not even close, and is aimed at kids.

Cheers;
Niker
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check those out if I ever get into reading manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
Aishiteruze Baby is rather sad as well. It's about a 5 years old kid who's abandoned by her mom after her dad died and was placed in her High Schooler cousin's care. I found it sad, but I don't know about you xD
I remember watching this a while back. I think I may have teared up as well if memories serve me right.
Old 2012-01-26, 18:32   Link #39
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I'm back

Since you liked that much Angel Beats, then i seriously recommend you watch the 2nd season of Haruhi Suzumiya (to understand how the story continues or actually how it all started) and then aim for the movie: The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. This will move many feelings in you, any sort of, from desperation to surprise to... just watch it. It lasts 2.40 hours, so it isn't even considerable a movie; it's more like a 7 episode series but focused on one big episode, and being it your first watch, you won't find it boring. There is a reason if i'm insisting so much, taking into account that i liked it more than Angel Beats, so you might just trust me on this and watch it.

Remember, it's the movie that will do the job, the 2nd season serves for the first plate. You won't get disappointed. If the movie will move your interest in this series, like it did for me, you can continue reading the light novel that got fully translated (or perhaps fan translated) in English. The anime only covers 5/11 chapters of the novel, but still the disappearance is like the second most important chapter, after the last release which was fucking awesome and full of suprise (it's indeed called the surprise of haruhi suzumiya, full of mindfucking).

Have a nice watch. Other titles i suggested are still valid.
Old 2012-01-26, 22:33   Link #40
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
I'm back

Since you liked that much Angel Beats, then i seriously recommend you watch the 2nd season of Haruhi Suzumiya (to understand how the story continues or actually how it all started) and then aim for the movie: The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. This will move many feelings in you, any sort of, from desperation to surprise to... just watch it. It lasts 2.40 hours, so it isn't even considerable a movie; it's more like a 7 episode series but focused on one big episode, and being it your first watch, you won't find it boring. There is a reason if i'm insisting so much, taking into account that i liked it more than Angel Beats, so you might just trust me on this and watch it.

Remember, it's the movie that will do the job, the 2nd season serves for the first plate. You won't get disappointed. If the movie will move your interest in this series, like it did for me, you can continue reading the light novel that got fully translated (or perhaps fan translated) in English. The anime only covers 5/11 chapters of the novel, but still the disappearance is like the second most important chapter, after the last release which was fucking awesome and full of suprise (it's indeed called the surprise of haruhi suzumiya, full of mindfucking).

Have a nice watch. Other titles i suggested are still valid.
Angel Beats! - Yea, the mix of genre in this anime is perfect. I had lots of laugh out of it. If only they'd make it longer to emphasize on character development, I would've shed tears no doubt.

I'm almost half way through Legend of Galactic Heroes (truly a masterpiece by the way) and planning on watching Suzumiya afterwards. So, hang tight for a while for the results