AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-15, 21:37   Link #1121
krln99

For me, the best LOL moment was when they ripped off "Active Heart," the Gunbuster OP at 12:30. It's almost frame-for-frame from the end of the OP

at 1:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB7Z5ymA0xg

I hope they do more stuff like this. One of my favorites of last year was the "Touch" Haruhi episode about baseball.
krln99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 21:43   Link #1122
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Anyone seen the Shuffle! reference at 17:15???
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 21:49   Link #1123
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
About the quality of a.f.k.'s release, let me tell you something: I'm currently studying English translation, and what we've been always told at the Translation subject, is that a translation is not a translation of words, but a translation of content and context. You have to bring the content and translate it to another context. That means it should be adapted, while staying as close to the original meaning as possible (a full adaptation is something else, but the process is kind of similar). But yeah, if there isn't any "moe" in the usual speech of Americans, you should find some kind of equivalence for it in the context of an American dialog.
Normally I would agree with you, but ‘moe’ is a word every anime fan ought to know. It’s on the test.

Turning to the mixed response to Lucky☆Star, this is a rerun of what happened with To Heart, where the languid low key storyline charmed some of us but had others jumping up and down with frustration and preparing batches of vitriol to pour over any To Heart forum they found. Comparing the first episodes of each, To Heart has a more definite plot but in both cases the consequentiality of the story is equally prefixed by ‘in-’.

As for the Lucky☆Star OP, I think we need to start a rehab thread since I strongly suspect many people are replaying it in an endless loop and are probably forgetting to eat or sleep.

Finally, a.f.k fansubs—you know, I sometimes suspect this is a front for Kadokawa PR Dept, I mean how does (apparently) one guy have the resources to put out so many well translated fansubs, most of which are Kadokawa titles (Karin, Haruhi, and now this)? How could anyone even translate that OP without inside knowledge of the lyrics? (On second thoughts though, if a Japanese company had a hand in the subs they would definitely be in Engrish.... having seen some of their English language flyers, ‘well translated’ and ‘Kodokawa’ do not belong in the same dimension.) One negative point about a.f.k though, I think they recompress the audio, it is never as good as the raws or other groups’ audio, sometimes I have even ended up remuxing their AVIs with the audio stream from a raw because it grated when listening on headphones.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 22:20   Link #1124
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
a.f.k. helps bringing the fans, I appreciate that, so I won't complain about their way of translating.
I'll stick SF's translation or any other group, though.
According to their website, SF (Sleeping Forest) have split up. Kinda sucks given that they only just started subbing anime. Their manga people are now to use the name kuu-scans.

That still leave JEEB though if you like softsubs.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 22:24   Link #1125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Competition is good ... hoping to see a couple of other groups pick up the show just for comparison (hell, even Shuffle! had three big groups translating it).

... and yes, I play the OP far too often.... there's something about the way it moves from 'crazed beat poetry' to that lovely harmonic chorus
Old 2007-04-15, 22:30   Link #1126
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Bah, I'm gone a few days and the board explodes with several more pages for me to read...

Anyway, otaku references make me giddy. I think I will enjoy episode 2. If nothing else, this show would be a fun thing to play trivia with.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 22:41   Link #1127
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
According to their website, SF (Sleeping Forest) have split up. Kinda sucks given that they only just started subbing anime. Their manga people are now to use the name kuu-scans.

That still leave JEEB though if you like softsubs.
Fortunately, although they're separate, both the manga and anime are still being translated by their respective groups that split from SF.

I'm not sure they ever intended to do soft-subs except for the first speed-release, but I shall beg.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 23:03   Link #1128
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Even if this ends up as its own board I'm not sure how it would do. It's really just the same people posting over and over. For example if I were to suddenly stop posting then the thread would take a huge blow. Same with a couple others.
Well my last post was two days ago, and of the 150-odd posts since then, there's quite a few names and even new faces. I think we need a subforum simply because if the volume keeps up anything like this it's too hard for newcomers to sort through material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
Well, thats actually more of a reference to the phenomenon of "hikkikomori", which is what SIGN was also referencing. SIGN's point was, if something happened to a hikkikomori person, would anybody know? or care? (I thought it was fun.) Anyway, I think the joke in LuckyStar is more that if Kona-chan knows people online who are hikkikomori, then she's even more otaku than anyone suspected. ^^;;;
Explicit reference to .hack/SIGN at 16:51:
"I don't know the details, but his login info implies that he's been online the whole time."
Also, some of us already suspect that she's hardcore otaku. Fo' sho'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki View Post
Which end of the chocobo do you think of as the head?
ROFLMGDAO! Repped for making me fall out of my chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
@Vexx & rooboy:
Rewatching that segment with the food discussion, and I can't see any dirty jokes in there even if I try.

I think you guys are just gutter-minded.
I see three, maybe four without even trying... maybe you're too innocent. Besides, how many people watch moe shows who *aren't* gutter-minded? It's not like it's worthy of note to find people like that here. Also, it's just Konata who's injecting the suggestiveness, as the otaku archetype naturally she's the perv too.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:03   Link #1129
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

One man's attempt at dancing the OP. I must give him props for his effort at choreography and costume-changing. About the second half, it is a parody of an earlier video (a fairly disturbing one), so you can skip that.

KyoAni, Making Healthier Otakus Since 2005

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:08   Link #1130
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
One man's attempt at dancing the OP. I must give him props for his effort at choreography and costume-changing. About the second half, it is a parody of an earlier video (a fairly disturbing one), so you can skip that.

Cheers.
Bwahahahah! That rules! This guy is my hero. Good find Skane, thanks.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:08   Link #1131
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wait what's this about virus'? Is this strictly some dumb thing 2Chan has gone and done or has it leaked further than that?

I like the idea of the episode being more about Otakuism than the last one. More Tokasatsu endings. I'm very intrigued to see Kyoto Animation paying such tribute to something so clearly masculine (and ungodly cheesy). De Arimasu!
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 23:10   Link #1132
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Wasn't there a discussion a while back about how the seiyuu for the Drama CD and the Anime were different for Lucky Star? Well apparently Konata shares you guys pain in that regard
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 23:19   Link #1133
Celia
Hikikomori

Send a message via AIM to Celia
That video... Is disturbing in so many ways.
I pulled a few hairs out of my head when he changed into the uniform. "OH GOD WHAT IS HE DOING?!" u_u
I've been waiting to see a parody of Lucky☆Star but... Not like that!
Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 23:25   Link #1134
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Cheers.
To quote the fine blogger at Otakuism: YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT!
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 23:44   Link #1135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

AIEEEEE!!! THE GOGGLES!!!! THEY DO NO GOOD!!

(really... at least *I* know the vision of me dancing anything remotely feminine would stun rhino and the sound of my karaoke contravenes local strategic arms limitation agreements)
Old 2007-04-15, 23:44   Link #1136
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia View Post
That video... Is disturbing in so many ways.
I pulled a few hairs out of my head when he changed into the uniform. "OH GOD WHAT IS HE DOING?!" u_u
I've been waiting to see a parody of Lucky?Star but... Not like that!
Do not want? butbut... his choreography is so good. Not his dancing, but having the various props and whatnot arranged so he can costume-shift and keep up with the original. He's not even remotely trying to be any kind of moe, which is what makes it funny, it's just all the relevant visual bits. Kind of reminds me of Tom Stoppard's 15-Minute Hamlet, which is actually a 13-minute play with a two-minute encore. Same kind of pick up the prop, wave it at the aduience, and move on! timing.

Oh yeah, and his sunglasses are too funny.
Old 2007-04-15, 23:45   Link #1137
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Yes... That man dancing means that the end is near... OH GAWD!!! D:
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 00:35   Link #1138
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
How could anyone even translate that OP without inside knowledge of the lyrics? (On second thoughts though, if a Japanese company had a hand in the subs they would definitely be in Engrish.... having seen some of their English language flyers, ‘well translated’ and ‘Kodokawa’ do not belong in the same dimension.)
It's not hard to translate it. It's hard to get the correct japanese to begin with to translate from and it's only a best guess. There is a very high chance the translation will change when the official lyrics are out. Everyone believes they have the correct lyrics and none of them match. I can tell you some people's lyrics are clearly wrong though as it is obvious and impossible. (looking at you 4chan.)
Quote:
One negative point about a.f.k though, I think they recompress the audio, it is never as good as the raws or other groups’ audio, sometimes I have even ended up remuxing their AVIs with the audio stream from a raw because it grated when listening on headphones.
No, this is a known, frequent problem with the raw that is normally gotten. The issue is with the Japanese encoder and most people (95%+) cannot hear it and therefore can't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Competition is good ... hoping to see a couple of other groups pick up the show just for comparison (hell, even Shuffle! had three big groups translating it).
Competition is only good when the competition is watchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Wait what's this about virus'? Is this strictly some dumb thing 2Chan has gone and done or has it leaked further than that?
Just the common japanese p2p viruses that are seen all the time. Nothing new.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 00:40   Link #1139
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Just the common japanese p2p viruses that are seen all the time. Nothing new.
I knew it is nothing new.

But one case of paranoia deserves another in return. You can't disprove the virus writers are being anti-moe like Kaio-onesama. Isn't paranoia wonderful?
Old 2007-04-16, 00:52   Link #1140
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I knew it is nothing new.

But one case of paranoia deserves another in return. You can't disprove the virus writers are being anti-moe like Kaio-onesama. Isn't paranoia wonderful?
Yes in fact I wrote the virus. The reason was I am so anti-moe I want all those who enjoy it to suffer. *Looks at Sig*, "Ah goddamnit, not again", well looks like I'm a target for my own virus now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen