AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-02, 05:58   Link #161
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well played by ear I actually can't hear a difference from any of the VN's intros, and I really can't check as I haven't unlocked the music box yet.
Old 2009-07-02, 06:00   Link #162
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well played by ear I actually can't hear a difference from any of the VN's intros, and I really can't check as I haven't unlocked the music box yet.
It's a completely different song, but they're both sung by Akiko Shikata. The VN episodes have the same opening, but the anime has a different one. ^_^
Old 2009-07-02, 06:00   Link #163
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

....Huh. Oh yeaaah, the windows. Didn't think about it 0_0 . .....

Er, anyways, concerning "Rokenjiima" "Roken Island" . There is a chance, A CHANCE, that the term, "Roken Island" is used in that "Happy Maria" song.

I say "chance" because, well, lets be honest, who the hell can be sure XD . So uh, yeah, either way, I'm cool.
Old 2009-07-02, 06:01   Link #164
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

@k//eternal: True, I also can't prove that Rokken is the right name anyway
That's just personal opinion. Damn those Japanese name
Old 2009-07-02, 06:06   Link #165
Blazemaker

Send a message via MSN to Blazemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
The problem is "Beijing means Northern Capital" is not the proof that Rokkenjima is the right name instead of Rokken. Most of Japanese name is meaningless anyway.

Just like Fuji-san, Chiba-ken, ... I see no reason for Rokkenjima to not be able to be Rokken-jima.
In the first game op, even in the unsubbed version

In the end of the op there is a message in english saying ''Welcome to the Rokkenjima''.

Its pretty damn official so i guess this could count as a proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgwgpTeiok
Old 2009-07-02, 06:12   Link #166
Hasako
The Reaper of Misery

hmmm ok first of all i had been spoiling myself by eating cookies for the last 4 months before the anime. I'm not going to have such a biased opinion but there will be some present. I did not read the Vn's (noo money~) but i had background information that let me know about the characters and there situation abit more then the people who are thrown in without previous knowledge.

Now the first episode did rush through most information but to me it didnt have an effect on my overall enjoyment. The anime didn't skip over any information though that needed to be known IN THE CONTEXT of the anime itself. In the Vn's im sure that you knew alot more then you did at where the episode ended but if you were to watch it in a strict anime only view, it covered the only points needed for that episode and in the next one im pretty sure that they will inform the watcher on the things that were glossed over. The anime so far is giving off a feeling of intensity and that there is something more but overall it didnt have that mystery part to it that the Vn readers liked so much about the game mainly because this hasnt become a mystery yet. Like when they completely skipped the good part (..well i thought it was anyways) of the epitaph
was probably because they wanted to use it to create more suspense later on. Sure this is supposed to be a Vn adaptation but they have to transform it into an anime version of it. So far it seems to give off the feeling that higurashi did (note i DID NOT read the vn or any spoilers before watching the anime) which i thought was extremelly well done even though the information was left out.

now on to the production. It wasn't anything to special, especially when they went overboard with the facial expressions (lol reminds me of manwha..no offense) but i had no qualms with the Va and i think that the placement of uuu~ was well done making it annoying and cute. As for the fighting for the family inheritance, i will say it really let me down. I know i said it didnt need to have all the information that the vn's had but everything that came out of there mouths really made me laugh in a bad way. Now i hadnt heard the op or ed before but when watching the op i thought it was ok and the music throughout the episode was abit too tame..... that is untill the epicness that is crazy billionaire man ending song, i was happy .
Old 2009-07-02, 06:23   Link #167
Coruja

If you want the suspense feeling, wait for the next episode.
Old 2009-07-02, 06:34   Link #168
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

This being an anime adaptation naturally means some details from the novels are going to be cut as well, which is fine - what's important isn't whether the anime is going to cram in as much details as they can, it's not out to become a poor imitation of a novel. As mentioned before, it's how they're able to package the story as tightly as they could to convey a convincing story for the viewers, and if they're clever about it, to deliver a similar impact as novel did, in its own way.

It's a good decision in laying down the essentials in the first episode before they could move on. As far as complaints over pacing goes, while I do understand where they're coming from, I also feel it's a bit too hasty to make that judgment and should be at least reserved for Episode 5, when they're able to assess the story and pacing as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
My thoughts exactly.
I honestly don't understand why some people (among those who played the visual novel) are overly reacting at this.
The first episode always draws the most criticisms, so give it time to settle down once the anime gets the ball rolling. Reading repetitive complaints isn't fun either, but I'm sure the anime will grow on everyone in due time.
Old 2009-07-02, 07:08   Link #169
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well It looks like while this episode is almost universally considered rushed, the VN have an increased perceived "rushness" due to the fact they know everything that was cut.

Maybe I'm optimistic here, but character development is not something you can do in a 20 minutes where you are supposed to introduce 18 characters. 1 min development per char?
It could be they are planning to gradually insert such developments later on the next episodes. Also I'm expecting the epitaph to be widely discussed in the next episode so probably there wasn't a need to read it all right now. Except for the fact that the more obvious interpretation of "Odawara" is now missing, and so the anime viewer have few grounds to try to solve it, but that's something that could be fixed with time.

Also the bad quality of the raw has probably accentuated the perception of bad quality animation

Old 2009-07-02, 07:15   Link #170
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well It looks like while this episode is almost universally considered rushed, the VN have an increased perceived "rushness" due to the fact they know everything that was cut.

Maybe I'm optimistic here, but character development is not something you can do in a 20 minutes where you are supposed to introduce 18 characters. 1 min development per char?
It could be they are planning to gradually insert such developments later on the next episodes. Also I'm expecting the epitaph to be widely discussed in the next episode so probably there wasn't a need to read it all right now. Except for the fact that the more obvious interpretation of "Odawara" is now missing, and so the anime viewer have few grounds to try to solve it, but that's something that could be fixed with time.

Also the bad quality of the raw has probably accentuated the perception of bad quality animation
Well it's not like any of the VN players have actually solved the damn thing anyway.

My only problem with the noticable lack of character introductions is considering that the length of the first arc in episodes has already been made known (might be a spoiler so I won't say), they'll have to be able to formally introduced who is who and some backgrounds on them before the arc ends, lest the next arc starts with viewers confused.

That said, they haven't even said who's the child of who in the first episode.
Old 2009-07-02, 07:31   Link #171
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

Stuff being cut was expected and in all honesty I wouldn't mind that but only if the original meaning/feel is being preserved. It therefore wasn't the case for the first episode and while VN players can happily fill in the gaps and think of it as nothing since they know what is going on anyway, the poor first time viewers don't have such luxury and will end up being confused or even worse, not caring.

It is jumping the gun to say that the entire series will be bad but it isn't so saying that this episode was bad and as far as first impressions go, it will more likely be a turn off if it wasn't for the fact of the brand name.

And no, the bad quality animation can be seen even through a lesser quality raw. One cannot mistake outlines unless they are blind

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-02, 07:46   Link #172
DesuX2

Ok, so it was bit rushed, I've only read the translated manga, but still, I find the pacing alright for most part. Was thinking that they would end at dinnertime, but before dinner is fine too.

Spoiler for The good and bad:

Also, during the Maria search scene:

Spoiler for Who the heck is that in the background?:
Old 2009-07-02, 07:48   Link #173
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Stuff being cut was expected and in all honesty I wouldn't mind that but only if the original meaning/feel is being preserved. It therefore wasn't the case for the first episode and while VN players can happily fill in the gaps and think of it as nothing since they know what is going on anyway, the poor first time viewers don't have such luxury and will end up being confused or even worse, not caring.

It is jumping the gun to say that the entire series will be bad but it isn't so saying that this episode was bad and as far as first impressions go, it will more likely be a turn off if it wasn't for the fact of the brand name.

And no, the bad quality animation can be seen even through a lesser quality raw. One cannot mistake outlines unless they are blind
As it stands content wise they've shown what needs to be shown, but I expect DEEN to not be able to include a few important plot points at times. Like I said, the episode had some failings in the fact that it decided to forego character interactions and introductions that were the centerpiece of this arc in favor if immediately putting up the setting.

But I'll give where credit is due: DEEN managed to set up the circumstances well enough to a very compressed episode, but they HAVE to show us the character relationships because they are absolutely vital to the story. In fact, they probably have to show at least the basics of that within the next few episodes else even the VN players might get confused.

And yeah honestly I can see a few viewer's eyes spinning at some points especially if the plot gets confusing, but they can go PM any VN players if they have a few questions they need clarifications to. I'm sure VN players wouldn't mind giving out a helping hand, at least I wouldn't.
Old 2009-07-02, 07:58   Link #174
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

I'm not sure how serious you were when you wrote that, but of the people who voted 6 or below, most if not all of them are VN readers. Meanwhile the vast majority of votes go to ratings of 7 plus. In fact, I just checked and the average rating of the episode is 7.8 going by all current votes. And no, I'm not saying all the VN readers are voting 6 and below, but statistically the 6 and below voters seem to be almost exclusively VN readers.
Old 2009-07-02, 08:04   Link #175
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I gave Episode 1 an 8 due to the fast pacing. One of the main points is, the anime is also aimed at those people who haven't read the novels. I believe DEEN tried to capture their attention by presenting the first mystery which is Maria's umbrella.

The con of the current episode has already been discussed (lack of character development which might confuse watchers), but what would be the con of having the normal pace? Watchers might get the wrong impression of the story. It's a bit hard to end it at one point without presenting a mystery.
Old 2009-07-02, 08:07   Link #176
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Having never played the game nor read the VNs, I thought the first episode was merely average. The lack of atmosphere (for what seems to be a mystery show such as this) I feel detracts from sweeping the audiences off their feet. Heck, Higurashi (which I thought was flawed as hell as well) had a more engaging atmosphere compared to Umineko's first episode. It doesn't help that the low budget is painfully obvious as well. Well, the lack of atmosphere thing is just a minor nitpick for now, we shall see if the next episodes improve.

Love the ED, not so much the OP, then again, it's by that Ali-whatshername group, what's new.

Also, intentional or not, Maria may be the most annoying thing I've ever seen. No wonder her mother's a complete psychotic spazz.
Old 2009-07-02, 08:12   Link #177
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Ali Project?

No that's not them °°;

Old 2009-07-02, 08:13   Link #178
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Fevvers, you're way off the track. OP is not by Ali Project. It's by Shikata Akiko, and they don't even remotely sound similar...
Old 2009-07-02, 08:20   Link #179
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've already decided to play the game once the anime adaptation has finished. I just wanna sit back and enjoy this, without knowing anything about it. Nice and fresh.
yeah same goes with me.. (but the truth, i dont know i can be able to play it)

but playing novels and watcing its anime adaptation seems almost the same so there isn't actually a miss.

ive already watched the raw (i dont understand Nipponese) and find it a little bit plane.... no such impact given to me unlike hig's 1st ep

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
Old 2009-07-02, 08:23   Link #180
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've already decided to play the game once the anime adaptation has finished. I just wanna sit back and enjoy this, without knowing anything about it. Nice and fresh.
yeah same goes with me.. (but the truth, i dont know i can be able to play it)

but playing novels and watcing its anime adaptation seems almost the same so there isn't actually a miss.

ive already watched the raw (i dont understand Nipponese) and find it a little bit plane.... no such impact given to me unlike hig's 1st ep. the manga is more better if you'll ask me, more detailed.. im hoping for improvements n the next ep xD

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
Closed Thread