AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-21, 00:10   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Konata-chan is the moral equivalent of Igor from Dorktower. His motto is:
"IT MUST BE MINE!!!"
(www.dorktower.com) been around a few years in print form and a funny take on general hobby fandom.

aye, I'm kind of torn ... a.f.k. does some wonderous work in typesetting, style and in general its just very professional. Their localization translation is *really* good (the "staring contest" versus the "funny face contest" being the only bobble I've noticed) -- I just personally prefer a more literal translation so I keep checking other works.

This is one of those series that I'll probably keep two or more complete sets of from different groups (and buy the R1 release as well).
Old 2007-04-21, 00:17   Link #22
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Spoiler for Ep. 2:

wwwww
Old 2007-04-21, 00:24   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(snort, die laughing) ....
Spoiler for kj1980 remark on ep 2:
Old 2007-04-21, 13:44   Link #24
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It's on the menu in Canada where I live. At least, used to be. I don't know about anymore, I haven't been to McD in a long while.
Old 2007-04-21, 14:26   Link #25
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Spoiler for ep 2:

That may not be an exact translation, but none of the translations for this series have been exact thus far.
Old 2007-04-21, 14:39   Link #26
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Kagami's response is even better...
Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2007-04-21, 14:41   Link #27
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Konata (stealing omake): GET
a.f.k.'s "Ka-ching" makes perfect sense, but it just doesn't have the rib-tickling charm
I’m surprised they did that, that’s not a Japanese->English translation, it’s an otaku->non-otaku translation.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-21, 15:01   Link #28
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I’m surprised they did that, that’s not a Japanese->English translation, it’s an otaku->non-otaku translation.
Is "GET" really an otaku thing? I thought it was just one of those words taken from English.
Old 2007-04-21, 15:16   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its "engrish" .... A casual japanese sentence may consist of nothing but a verb with a particular form -ending. The rest is implied by the context.

This may be the first anime I end up doing my own translation of because I'm unhappy with particular choices in segments of each and every effort.

Such is how new fansub groups are sprung I guess.
Old 2007-04-21, 15:20   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Is "GET" really an otaku thing? I thought it was just one of those words taken from English.
Haven't you seen the "SHINE GET" in the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine. I wish they had kept it in because it was kind of funny. It caught on with me and is part of my vocabulary now.
Old 2007-04-21, 15:28   Link #31
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
That may not be an exact translation, but none of the translations for this series have been exact thus far.
There isn't, and never will be, something such as an "exact" translation. There is a loss in every translation made.

I'm very fond of afk's translation, mainly because, being a translation student, their versions are the most professional ones, the ones that require less "extra" knowledge from the viewer. But, everyone is free to watch what they like. However, for quotes I'll probably stick with the original Japanese, to cause as less confusion as possible.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-21, 15:33   Link #32
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Haven't you seen the "SHINE GET" in the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine. I wish they had kept it in because it was kind of funny. It caught on with me and is part of my vocabulary now.
Mario is a pretty mainstream game, that type of grammar isn't uncommon in Japanese. Pokemon's slogan in Japan was (basically) "Pokemon GET".
Old 2007-04-21, 16:04   Link #33
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Spoiler for ep2:

a.f.k.'s "Ka-ching" makes perfect sense, but it just doesn't have the rib-tickling charm of what's actually said (mind you a lot of that charm comes from how Konata says it - but that's a topic for another thread).
I admit, I *snorked* at that. In this case I'd rather that they had kept the GET and just added a note for non-otaku explaining it.

Quote:
This may be the first anime I end up doing my own translation of because I'm unhappy with particular choices in segments of each and every effort.
It may kill me, but I'm thinking of doing the same, for the same reason. The more and more Japanese I learn, the more and more discontent I get with translations not being right on the dot and easy to understand. (And it's not helping that I seem to be getting ignored by one of the sub groups I'm trying to join. )

OK, enough rambling. As for my quote, it's my favorite from eppy 1:
"KYOODAAIIINNN!!!!"

The way Kona-chan sings it is so genki and hilarious, I can't even get through one day without thinking of shouting it out at least once.
Old 2007-04-21, 17:05   Link #34
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Kagami's response is even better...
Spoiler for ep2:
The weird thing is that Kona-chan is the one I foresee becoming rich and famous later in life, as a seiyuu, movie producer, mangaka, or H-game designer, while Kagami must toil away as an office lady or a neglected housewife.

Which would be proof that virtue never goes unpunished.
Old 2007-04-22, 00:07   Link #35
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Yes it is. And as an added trivia, McDonald's Japan is a separate company under McDonald's Holdings Japan, so they have a very high independence on services and quality compared to the McDonald's in the US. Furthermore, it also helps establish a firm customer base by offering free smiles (or so they claim on their corporate philosophy) of the global McDonald's motto "we love to make you smile" (or some variant of that sort).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Similar to how you guys use the word "teh win" [sic]
Old 2007-04-22, 03:09   Link #36
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
I'm totally with Konata on this one:
Spoiler for Ep.2, afk's version used:

Old 2007-04-22, 09:43   Link #37
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
Actually, I heard about it on the radio the very day after watching that episode. It was kind of creepy, really. It's like Konata transporting her consciousness all through the Pacific Ocean...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-22, 11:07   Link #38
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
Actually blogging and chatting on the internet is hurting people's writing skills as they learn to type in l33t.A lot of schools are repoting how students are actually writing the same way they do in chatrooms
Old 2007-04-22, 11:18   Link #39
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
Actually blogging and chatting on the internet is hurting people's writing skills as they learn to type in l33t.A lot of schools are repoting how students are actually writing the same way they do in chatrooms
That's not the Internet's fault. I actually learnt a lot of new words from browsing through the Internet, and "Dictionary.com" is one of my most frequently used plug-ins when I need to check out a word I am not familiar with.

The Internet is a tool. Use it properly, and it will serve you well. It's only when you stop caring about improving your language skills, will you then start learning the "wrong things".

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-22, 12:03   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

For some reason I take great pleasure in grading papers where where "1337" or texting style is used. "OBJECTION!!!!"

People need to understand that different writing and speaking styles are *expected* depending on the context of the situation (sound familiar?).

Kona and Skane are correct --- the Internet *can* be a source of improvement, but only if you're not a lazy ass about communicating clearly.