AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-03, 23:26   Link #1901
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

haha 18 is a blast, really just gotta love the over top action and flashy lights!

so many 6th senses going around, its like a super natural convention.

Kana getting shot down everytime is amusing, made me chuckle

best line of the ep and possibly the entire series

"Here...if you rub this crack it feels really good..."

Old 2009-08-04, 00:43   Link #1902
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
"Here...if you rub this crack it feels really good..."

Yeah, I almost was gonna use "space" instead of "crack", but considering the context, why not? Sometimes you get helpful cross language coincidences.
(the innuendo on that particular word is not in the original japanese, to my knowledge, but it's still there in general)
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:35   Link #1903
FateAnomaly

This episode made me wonder if their powers are actually psychic abilities.

I wonder what happened between Saki and her sister to make them fall out. Maybe Saki is too good at Mahjong and thats why Saki suppress her mahjong skills(psychic powers).
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 02:11   Link #1904
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
This is very interesting. A second Saki Character Song Album was just confirmed. The first one covered all the most popular characters (ie. the "explicit yuri pairing[s]" and the cousins), so I'm guessing this one is...second-tier characters, perhaps?
Who's that in the cover anyway?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 02:25   Link #1905
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
RAWR!

something I came across while looking for vid on the ed to post in the Rate OP/ED thread

Is Saki even flatter than Tacos?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 03:39   Link #1906
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Is Saki even flatter than Tacos?
Going by this video yes. Pretty sure she's not in the actual show though.
Old 2009-08-04, 04:18   Link #1907
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Going by this video yes. Pretty sure she's not in the actual show though.
Well its not like there would be anything wrong if she was, given her age... um, going by appearance not some official "she actually 18/15" nonsense.
Old 2009-08-04, 08:13   Link #1908
Farplaner

New OP lyrics

Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 08:44   Link #1909
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Who's that in the cover anyway?
That's the "we don't have a cover" image of the site, not a character from Saki.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 10:37   Link #1910
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
That's the "we don't have a cover" image of the site, not a character from Saki.
It's "Nao Purin"-tan! She's dojikko moe.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 13:33   Link #1911
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

And so the blo...oming single has been released. Little Non is not that good of a singer, in fact she's kinda bad, but you can see/hear that she is really enjoying what she is doing, so all that energy and good mood makes it quite an enjoyable ride.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 13:48   Link #1912
uis

Hmmm i enjoying bloooomin' ^^
Little Non always my fav after i listen Hanamaru Sensation (Kodomo no Jikan ED)

Anyway this year Little Non song also enjoyable for me ^^
*Refer to Juicy Extacy (Akikan! OP) and 1,2,3 Days (Kodomo no Jikan Ni Gakki ED)

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 22:34   Link #1913
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

i was bored

freebie
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 23:15   Link #1914
tsunade666

Just a question. In episode 18 how did the 2000 blossom into 8000 each? How did the points increase? I have watch the episode tons of times but I don't know any mahjong but its a fantastic one. Its just amusing how the points increase.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 00:05   Link #1915
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Just a question. In episode 18 how did the 2000 blossom into 8000 each? How did the points increase? I have watch the episode tons of times but I don't know any mahjong but its a fantastic one. Its just amusing how the points increase.
  • Kana's hand started with a tsumo worth 1 han, and 30 minipoints. That started her off at 1100 points.
  • Next, she drew a 9 Man and discarded a 6 Man, which put her in tenpai (although furiten [basically it means she can only win with a tsumo] as well), with an extra han for having two 7 Man - 8 Man - 9 Man chiis (straights). Having two identical chiis gives an extra han, putting her at 2 han, so she'd be at 2000 points.
  • Next, she drew a 9 Pin, which is a dora tile - each dora tile gives another han, so that put her at 3 han for 4000 points.
  • Moving onto the 7 Sou, that made Kana's hand of all chii sets, and a single pair. A hand like this without any triplet sets is a pinfu (all simples) hand, and qualifies for another han, and it put her into having a potential 7-8-9 in all three suits, which is another two han since her hand was concealed (i.e. picked up no discards from her opponents). That put her up to 5 han, which is a mangan hand; worth 8000 points.
Finally, Kana switched from a 3 Pin pair to a 1 Sou pair (which meant that all of her sets had either a 1 or a 9; making it pure all-terminal), and declared riichi; winning on her next draw. So the final tally for her hand was:

Ippatsu: winning on the first go-around on declaring riichi - 1 han.
Riichi: 1 han
Tsumo: Winning on a self-draw with a concealed hand - 1 han
Pinfu: All tiles are simples (no honors and no triplets) - 1 han
Pure Terminals in all sets: 3 han
Mixed triple chii: the same 3-tile run (7-8-9) in all three suits - 2 han
Double chii: two identical 3-tile runs in the same suit (7-8-9 Man) - 1 han
Dora tile: 9 Pin, 2x 1 Sou - 3 han

Add them all up, and it comes to 13 han, which makes it a yakuman hand. Yakuman hands count as 32,000 points for non-dealers, and so Kana got 8000 points from Yumi and Koromo, and 16,000 points from Saki. If you want to just keep track of the scoring, you can read up on it on Wikipedia. The ones that are relevant are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes..._scoring_rules and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_yaku. It does get fairly involved though since the scoring rules are so darned complex .
Old 2009-08-06, 02:08   Link #1916
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Great breakdown, but I think he was asking about how Saki's hand went from 2,000 to 24,000.

Someone posted a link to this photo here:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Untitled-1.jpg

Which breaks down how she went from a (basically) nothing hand to a ridiculous hand.

If you don't understand the terminology in the photo, well, what he calls "wans" are also called "mans," or "cracks." (Look it up.) The Hong Zhong is also called a Red Dragon, and the Xi is also called West, or Sha.

By calling "pon" on the 6-pin, then calling "kan" on it, she starts a chain reaction of kans that lead to tanyao, toi-toi, san an kou, san kan tsu, with the rinshan tsumo to end it all. (All of this stuff can stack on each other. That's what makes hands like this powerful.)

Rinshan Tsumo (self-draw of the winning tile from the dead wall off of a kong): 1 han
Tanyao (all 2-8 tiles, no honors, no terminals): 1 han
Toi-Toi (four pungs/kongs): 2 han
San An Kou (3 concealed pungs/kongs): 2 han
San Kan Tsu (3 kongs): 2 han
Total: 8 han for a dealer baiman. (Saki was sitting East as dealer.)

A dealer baiman pays 24,000 points-- 8,000 per player. (If she wasn't dealer, then she would only get 16,000 points: 8,000 from the dealer/4,000 each from the other two.)

On her final turn, she had the punged 6-pin, 4 of the 3-bamboo, 4 8-pins, a 2 bamboo, a 4 bamboo. Then she pulled the 6-pin and started a chain reaction. But up to that point, she didn't have much of a hand. She's only got 3 sets, and no "head" for her hand. She's not even in a position to win yet. That's what got Koromo out of her seat, because she didn't "sense" anything in Saki's hand... well, because there really wasn't anything there. Technically.

And if that just went over your head, there are some good tutorials at reachmahjong.com in English.

Last edited by cynicalicious; 2009-08-06 at 02:24.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 02:44   Link #1917
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Yeah, the terminology is different if you're used to the Japanese style. He's using the Chinese version of the names.

As for the 2000, at the point where Saki calls a pon on the 6 pin, if she had discarded an 8 pin, she would have been in tenpai, with a hand that has pon of 6 pin, pon of 3 sou, 234 sou, pon of 8 pin, 3 manzi, waiting on another 3 manzi to finish the pair. Hence, Hajime is shocked when Saki discards the 3 manzi because she had been assuming that Saki was just trying to win a hand asap so as to get into a bonus round where maybe she'll get a "better" hand.

At that point in time, she'd only have 1 han from tanyao and base point of 40. Assuming she won on a discard, she'd only get 2000 points.

In contrast, when she finishes, she adds to the tanyao above (1 yaku) with rinshan kaihou (1 yaku), toi toi (2 yaku), san ankou (2 yaku), and san kantsu (2 yaku) for a total of 8 fan and 24,000 points.

Thus, the announcer is amazed that she changed her 2000 point hand into a 24,000 point hand.

Edit: BTW, even after she discards the 3 manzi, Saki's hand is in iishanten (2 away from a win, 1 away from tenpai) and is essentially in the same position as before she discarded the 3 manzi, just her pair that she's waiting for will be whatever she would have gotten from the dead wall after she calls a kong of 8 pin. She still only has tanyao and thus, a 2000 point hand.
Old 2009-08-06, 05:13   Link #1918
tsunade666

Thanks for the info on how saki's hand blossom ( though kinda confusing ) And an amazing explanation. And if 8 yaku is baiman and 13 is considered yakuman and being east have and advantage in points. Then if the score isn't baiman but yakuman how big can saki's score be? will she beat koromo?
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 06:00   Link #1919
FateAnomaly

Not really since she win on a self draw, she is taking points from everyone. Koromo stills leads even if it is a Yakuman.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 06:02   Link #1920
kniteowl

well this is a 4 player game, you have to take into account Yumi & Kana, although Kana is out of the running not having enough points and the no double yakuman rule, it's impossible if not near impossible for kana to win.

I reckon Yumi will let Saki eat down Koromo points till she believes she could win a hand that could allow her to jump to 1st place, or at the very least win two consecutive hands, because Yumi is the last player to be East and all East Players who win get bonus hands.

The only way Kana could win now is if she won two consecutive Yakuman 64,000 + what points she has around 40,000. well it's already impossible unless somehow Saki & Koromo's points balance/even out and Saki stays East then she'll have to Win off Saki or/and Koromo to decrease their total points to increase hers....

AHHHHHHHH the games points system confuses me... I don't even know if What I said was right.

When's all said and done, the main character (Sak in this case) will win, just because the story is revolved around her, also the fact the the series is named after her is a good pointer that she'll win.
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen