AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-14, 23:47   Link #3281
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The thing is, everyone gets "welfare" from the government. It's not just a poor people thing. To blame the government for bribing the population is silly, especially when things have been quite nice if you're rich...historically speaking.
Reminds me when Jon Stewart was blasting Fox News when they caught Obama in a gaffe and decided to twist it so out of context that it would have Adam Smith spinning so fast in his grave it would create a tear in the space-time continuum.

Do we look stupid? Don't Answer that.
Old 2012-11-15, 04:31   Link #3282
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm still kind of amused we haven't seen Karl Rove "disappeared" for a long ride to deep water. He cost some powerful people a lot of money they could have used to pay some overdue taxes.
They seem to be readdy to pay a forture to avoid to pay a less signifiant amount of money in tax.
Old 2012-11-15, 04:44   Link #3283
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Reminds me when Jon Stewart was blasting Fox News when they caught Obama in a gaffe and decided to twist it so out of context that it would have Adam Smith spinning so fast in his grave it would create a tear in the space-time continuum.

Do we look stupid? Don't Answer that.
It's funny how Romney repeated what Obama said.
Old 2012-11-15, 06:44   Link #3284
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

How the GOP shot itself in both feet and tripped into its own cesspit (and will probably repeat this in 2014 ... maybe even 2016).

Glaring contradiction #1: The evil of big government except when running wars, paying subsidies, or legalizing morality --- tin foil hats with large holes in them.
Glaring contradiction #2: Plutocrats should run democracy? Really? Isn't that feudalism without the perks for the peasants?
Glaring contradiction #3: The myth of the rugged individualism of the super-rich.
Glaring contradiction #4: When ignorance is neither bliss, nor power but a spotlight.
Glaring contradiction #5: When social wedge issues lose their edges because they have no credible basis to begin with.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...tions-sunk-gop

And they're looking incompetent afterward as well:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/he...-deadline.html
The GOP governors didn't bother to prepare for the healthcare law because they were deep in the reality distortion bubble.
Old 2012-11-15, 11:02   Link #3285
GundamFan0083

Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...cans-affected/

Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2CJ7ABWEN

Texas Instruments Cuts 1,700 Jobs, Winds Down Tablet Chips
http://www.cnbc.com/id/49835852

Jobless claims went up 78,000.
http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/e...m#.UKTvPI7paao
Old 2012-11-15, 11:39   Link #3286
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ If people want straight economic news and data without the commentary, maybe check out www.bloomberg.com or actually, maybe www.finviz.com -- the latter even offers equity market "visualizations" over time and color coded by gains/losses as well as scaled by size. Also, shouldn't most of this be in the Economics thread?

Here's another headline to balance out some of what GundamFan is posting:

Millionaires to Washington: More Taxes, Please!

A pack of millionaires descended on Washington, DC, Wednesday to tell Congress to take more of their money. The Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength, a group formed in 2010 to push Obama to allow the Bush tax cuts on millionaires to expire, are back, and lobbying for the same thing as Congress faces the looming fiscal cliff.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012...al-cliff-taxes

Re: Denny's -- the headline is misleading, the charge is not from the "Denny's" corporation, but someone that owns 40 franchise restaurants in Florida. He's also explicitly doing it as a political statement.

PS: So apparently someone has taken a "disliking" to what I posted here .. which is unfortunate .. because all I am doing is relaying information. Getting angry or upset at someone that provides information you disagree with isn't productive. Information, as unbiased as possible, is good .. regardless of the message. I'd hope that people could simply appreciate opposing viewpoints and ensure their opinions are always as informed as possible.

Reply hazy, ask again later

Last edited by willx; 2012-11-15 at 14:50.
Old 2012-11-15, 15:30   Link #3287
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Republicans to Mitt Romney: Exit stage left
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...it-stage-left/
Quote:
There is no Romney wing in the party that he needs to address,” said Ed Rogers, a longtime Republican strategist. “He never developed an emotional foothold within the GOP so he can exit the stage anytime and no one will mourn.”
The prevailing opinion among that group is that there is much work to be done and that Romney will have a hand in almost none of it. Put more simply: Thanks for playing. Now go away.
Honestly, I don't think than McCain wasn't treated as hardly as Romney after he lost in 2008. But again, McCain didn't spent as much time putting the fault of his defeat on the electors insted of acknowledging hi own mistake.

From the 47% to ‘gifts’: Mitt Romney’s ugly vision of politics
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...itics/?hpid=z3
Quote:
During the campaign, Mitt Romney repeatedly promised seniors that he’d restore President Obama’s $716 billion in Medicare cuts. He promised them that, unlike Obama, he wouldn’t permit a single change to Medicare or Social Security for 10 years. He promised them, in other words, political immunity. While the rest of the country was trying to pay down the deficit and prioritize spending, they’d be safe.
He also promised the rich that they’d see a lower overall tax rate, and while he did say he would try to pay for some of those tax cuts by closing loopholes and deductions, he also said he expected faster growth would pay for those cuts — which means he really was promising tax cuts to the rich at a time when he said deficit reduction should be a top priority. Oh, and let’s not forget his oft-stated intention to roll back the Dodd-Frank financial reforms and replace them with…something.
Keep all that in mind when you hear Romney blaming his loss on “the gifts” that Obama reportedly handed out to “the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people.” Romney was free with the gifts, too, and his promises to seniors and to the rich carried a far higher price tag than any policies Obama promised minorities or the young.
But to Romney, and perhaps to the donors he was speaking to, those policies didn’t count as “gifts.” They were…something else. Good ideas, maybe. Or the fulfillment of past promises. Or perhaps it wasn’t the policies that were different, but the people they were being promised to.
Old 2012-11-15, 16:25   Link #3288
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Eh. If he really thought elections were about buying votes, he should have learnt to count. A lot more poors than rich people, after all. (Especially old white rich male people.)
Old 2012-11-15, 17:36   Link #3289
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post

A pack of millionaires descended on Washington, DC, Wednesday to tell Congress to take more of their money. The Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength, a group formed in 2010 to push Obama to allow the Bush tax cuts on millionaires to expire, are back, and lobbying for the same thing as Congress faces the looming fiscal cliff.

I went and looked up their site, looks like mostly old posts but interesting comments.
http://patrioticmillionaires.org/

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-11-15, 17:47   Link #3290
Zakoo

Isn't this cute. What about they do less... how we call this? Tax avoidance?

And in whichever case, donations to US gov/federal state are fairly easy, words are good, actions are better.
Old 2012-11-15, 17:51   Link #3291
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post

And in whichever case, donations to US gov/federal state are fairly easy, words are good, actions are better.
A donation does nothing because it doesn't change the problem. I've seen quite a few people making this comment and I'm honestly baffled by it.

Also saw this on MotherJones and it made me laugh so I had to share it.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-11-15, 17:51   Link #3292
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post

they have accountants for that sort of thing and their accountant are pay to look for loop holes.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-11-15 at 18:06.
Old 2012-11-15, 18:05   Link #3293
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Besides, psychologically, it'd be hard to be the only ones to pay.

And, not that I'm a millionaire or anything, but I don't know that I'd like to give money to a government which can't even be arsed to raise taxes when they so blatantly need to.
Old 2012-11-15, 18:44   Link #3294
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If the idea is that everyone shares some pain and you have a small pack of sociopath robber barons avoiding it at all costs even when its the community that provides the environment they were able to loot and pillage in ... well, the other barons tend to get annoyed.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:04   Link #3295
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Woman Runs Over Husband for Not Voting

Ok, is there a contest of "who can do the most outrageous thing because my favorite candidate/political party lost"?
Old 2012-11-15, 19:12   Link #3296
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If the idea is that everyone shares some pain and you have a small pack of sociopath robber barons avoiding it at all costs even when its the community that provides the environment they were able to loot and pillage in ... well, the other barons tend to get annoyed.
The problem is, that it is as significant an event as the american green party is a contester of the two major parties. Any mentioning of it is already a misrepresentation of its importance in american politics.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:14   Link #3297
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post

Ok, is there a contest of "who can do the most outrageous thing because my favorite candidate/political party lost"?
If there's one, the guy than killed himself and the rest of his family before the election because he thought than Obama would win will probably be hard to beat.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:17   Link #3298
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post

LOL!

That reminds me, one of the local election around here (I think it was for city council or something like that) had two candidates literally tied after the final count, and as it turns out one of the candidate's wife didn't vote

Though she did have good reasons though, between taking care of the kids, working, and attending nursing school, she just didn't have time to make it to the poll, another reason we really should make voting day a national holiday :/
Old 2012-11-15, 19:23   Link #3299
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-young-voters/
It's always easier to blame someone else than to look at oneself.
lololol

What is dis?

"Back in my day, black people couldn't vote. Now that was the days when we shared good old fashioned American values! Fuck that shit; teaching black people and women how to read. Look how downhill America has gone down since! Remember what our founding fathers envisioned America. White = 1 person, Black 3/5*, Women = 0. That's in the constitution!"

*Yes I'm aware 3/5 refers to slave. But it's not like they can tell the difference.

I don't get why they're blaming anything. It's just pathetic. Work on the next election. Be a bit better at lying.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-11-15, 22:43   Link #3300
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Here's another headline to balance out some of what GundamFan is posting:

LMFAO!
You need to read this book, so you learn what propaganda is.

Do you have any idea who that magazine is named after, Willix?

From their own website.
http://www.motherjones.com/about/wha...es/our-history

And who was Mary Harris Jones?
Oh, that's right, she was a Marxist.

http://communpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mother_Jones

So when a bunch of literal Marxists publish anything about capitalism...period...you need to realize that it's probably bullshit and move on.