AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-02, 14:13   Link #1921
ookamigirl

It's never easy fighting a friend.
Especially when that friend was on your side a minute ago.
How the situation had changed.
Hakuryuu got another fighting chance ^^ that was nice.
Alibaba's self-loathing is what got him in trouble in the first place.
His insecurities let the darkness in little by little. He's nothing without Aladdin.
Sinbad was really impressive this time. His powers surprised me.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 14:50   Link #1922
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
It's never easy fighting a friend.
Especially when that friend was on your side a minute ago.
How the situation had changed.
Hakuryuu got another fighting chance ^^ that was nice.
Alibaba's self-loathing is what got him in trouble in the first place.
His insecurities let the darkness in little by little. He's nothing without Aladdin.
Sinbad was really impressive this time. His powers surprised me.
Yuki Kaji presents Alibaba that is. Its pretty funny cause I know he's already a pretty infamous VA for the typecast wishy washy self-loathing show hijacking type of character he often gets dealt but now with a main character from a popular work getting totally rewritten to fit around his typecasting I think we just saw the birth of a legend and not in a good way. the va should be made to fit the character and not the other way around so this is a bit of a slippery slope.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 14:58   Link #1923
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

How do you know the decision to change the character wasn't made long before he was even hired? It could be they already changed the character to a wishy-washy self loathing character and typical Kaji came along and ended up fitting that bill perfectly like he always does. XP

Anyway, I'd say that was a decent ending. I guess should I should've expected a whole load of Deus Ex Machina's to wrap the show off but I'm not really that bothered since the plot had little going for it anyway and I felt absolutely no tension in this conflict whatsoever (though I've never really felt any throughout the show besides the first few episodes). Haven't read the manga so I can't really comment on any comparisons. All in all, I felt it was an okay-ish show albeit a little generic.

Overall Score: 6.8/10
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 15:20   Link #1924
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
How do you know the decision to change the character wasn't made long before he was even hired? It could be they already changed the character to a wishy-washy self loathing character and typical Kaji came along and ended up fitting that bill perfectly like he always does. XP

Anyway, I'd say that was a decent ending. I guess should I should've expected a whole load of Deus Ex Machina's to wrap the show off but I'm not really that bothered since the plot had little going for it anyway and I felt absolutely no tension in this conflict whatsoever (though I've never really felt any throughout the show besides the first few episodes). Haven't read the manga so I can't really comment on any comparisons. All in all, I felt it was an okay-ish show albeit a little generic.
Cause at the start of the show he was fairly consistent in being portrayed as an idealistic character that wanted to do the right thing but just needed a little extra push now and then. He was the guy that basically got Kassim out of his battle with the dark Rukh and Kassim expressly said multiple times that he wished he could be virtuous and optomistic like him multiple times then like an arc later Alibaba is suddenly going through very similar anime original circumstances. ilt just doesn't track no matter how you look at it. its pretty baffling as many people have stated.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 15:22   Link #1925
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

A shame, really. There was a lot to like about this show, but somewhere along the way things started losing their shine.

I guess the last episode mimicked the rest of the season: Decent, but could've been so much more. Though there were a few moments of badass to wrap up the season, the villains were cliché and the fights were a bore. But at least we got a somewhat happy finale.

The setting was a refreshing change from typical medieval europe inspired fantasy. Plus the main cast was enjoyable to watch. The story, however... It had me hooked at first, but I quickly lost interest in the grand scheme of things and settled for watching character development (or regression, in one notable case).

All things considered, I'd still recommend this to my friends (with due warnings) - 7.0/10
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 15:31   Link #1926
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
Cause at the start of the show he was fairly consistent in being portrayed as an idealistic character that wanted to do the right thing but just needed a little extra push now and then. He was the guy that basically got Kassim out of his battle with the dark Rukh and Kassim expressly said multiple times that he wished he could be virtuous and optomistic like him multiple times then like an arc later Alibaba is suddenly going through very similar anime original circumstances. ilt just doesn't track no matter how you look at it. its pretty baffling as many people have stated.
I don't think that just because he's been characterised as virtuous and optimistic means he can't fall to a curse no matter what, but even so that still doesn't mean they changed it because of the voice actor.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 20:34   Link #1927
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
Yuki Kaji presents Alibaba that is. Its pretty funny cause I know he's already a pretty infamous VA for the typecast wishy washy self-loathing show hijacking type of character he often gets dealt but now with a main character from a popular work getting totally rewritten to fit around his typecasting I think we just saw the birth of a legend and not in a good way. the va should be made to fit the character and not the other way around so this is a bit of a slippery slope.
I don't know the specifics of Magi, but I've thought this about Kaji as well. I think the same thing happened with KugiRie a couple of years ago, when every other series had to have an annoying tsundere role and wrote them with her as the model. I think we're seeing Kaji Yuuki become his own trope, and there is an element of the self-fulfilling prophecy to it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 22:04   Link #1928
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well not to bad but it was a forced ending and the only reason to watch is Morgiana and Ren

7/10 now waiting for the next season
Old 2013-04-02, 22:14   Link #1929
chaos_animagic

Hmmm, just thought of something.

If they're doing the Mog arc, I wonder if are they going to either skip or change Kou Prince's personality.
Spoiler for arc:

the other arc I think was before Mog arc (where it leads them to Mog)

also, not sure about nopan... and censors...

since they technically didn't censor Paimon in any way while showing nipples AND vag (only a tiny bit).
But I guess being Blue = Censor...
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 23:02   Link #1930
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Things played out exactly like in the manga anyway! What was up with all the changed bullshit up until now then?!!!! WHAT THE HELL?! Why go change shit up if you're gonna bring it right back to canon at the end?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 05:23   Link #1931
Accelolita_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Things played out exactly like in the manga anyway! What was up with all the changed bullshit up until now then?!!!! WHAT THE HELL?! Why go change shit up if you're gonna bring it right back to canon at the end?
I guess that, we will never come to understand.

I like the anime, but more because I was able to see my fave characters in motion, color and hearing their voices
It's sad that they made so many unnecessary changes.
If they are already unable to handle Alibaba's character that well how are they supposed to handle She and Co. Imo they're much more complicated than Alibaba and since they already failed at him that leaves me worried

And like chaos_animagic said, they changed alot about Hakuryuu's character development, what will he be like in the anime later on?
Also, the thing with Sinbad was kinda....fail?
I mean, his "powers are sealed" atm or something like that? But in the end he was able to use his powers anyways....ooookaayyyy
And are we going to see Zeper!Sinbad in second season? Since they changed the event with Kougyoku and her Djinn Equip....

Only thing I'm really looking forward in second season are Yunan screentime with Akira Fawkkin' Ishida voicing him and Titus.
Wonder who'll voice our little magician, especially because of the misunderstanding with Aladdin at the beginning
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 06:03   Link #1932
Kakkou
Tch.

So. Much. Black. Rukh. In. This. Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
I mean, his "powers are sealed" atm or something like that? But in the end he was able to use his powers anyways....ooookaayyyy
And are we going to see Zeper!Sinbad in second season? Since they changed the event with Kougyoku and her Djinn Equip....
The thing with Sinbad that the anime did was not that his powers were sealed, just that Yamraiha slowed down the curse with her seal, which can break if the person uses too much magoi, which basically meant Sinbad shouldn't use any magoi at all or else it'll break right away since he's so hax. Sinbad just went along since there was no real need for him to, plus he used it as an excuse to further motivate Anibaba (aka anime Alibaba) & co. to go to Zagan (in the anime anyway).

We'll still get to see Sin and Kougyoku doing that chapter in the anime, it's not hard to rewrite the situation to lead to it. The thing about the anime's ending is that it can still carry on with the manga plot with just a few rewrites to the dialogues (well there's already damage done in other ways but can't do anything about that).

I can sort of see what the anime staff were trying to do with this original story mix n' mashing. They wanted to end at this point of the manga on what they took to be a higher note than the manga with everyone getting a bit of the limelight and had they done it right it could have at least worked better. There's also time restraints so they have to rearrange events in order to get to that point.

The problem is that their approach resulted in the utter destruction of the Balbad arc's themes and lessons along with Alibaba's character, whom I will now on refer to as Anibaba. Had they chose a different route that did not involve creating Anibaba or destroying any other character, I would say they at least pulled off a pretty good job at wrapping up the first season despite the cuts and etc.

Well I'd still say the anime did a passable job at cleaning up it's mess to keep the damage contained to a certain amount. There's still one or two things that I'm having doubts about how it'll be addressed next season, like the fact Alibaba was implied to have seen the Alma Toran flashback but that's not for this thread.

Oh and there's another way to look at the anime's version of the Zagan arc from a manga reader's perspective: Alibaba was corrupted and replaced with a similar but different character, Anibaba, the moment he was bitten by the snake. After getting Solomon's Wisdom'd by Aladdin, Anibaba was banished (hopefully for good) and Alibaba returned. Even Mor said Anibaba was not like the Alibaba she knew after all! So the second season can progress with the real Alibaba seemingly back.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 06:30   Link #1933
ShiroiRyu

Episode 25 : Just boobies.
I need a doujinshi shotacon with Aladdin who learn "magic" from her.
Old 2013-04-03, 07:57   Link #1934
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

lol just skimmed through episode 24 and 25, Alibaba makes falling to depravity was pretty lol for me the reasoning was pretty shallow, for someone who was resolved to do what was necessary for his own country despite the bloodshed, and fight his own best friend. Kind of looks dumb that we falls to depravity over a person who was trying to kill him.

Plus side is as always is animated Morg, TBH her character inspired me to watch up to the end and read the manga. Her girly side when with Alibaba is way to lovable especially animated. Good job falling asleep in Alibaba's arms.

Kaji Yuuki in episode 24 really brought out the whining and wimpy side I almost wished to here Satoru from SSY which was the complete opposite and showed he can do more than these kinds of heroes.

ANIMATED MORGIANA is impossible to resist.
Old 2013-04-03, 08:24   Link #1935
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
So. Much. Black. Rukh. In. This. Thread.

Oh and there's another way to look at the anime's version of the Zagan arc from a manga reader's perspective: Alibaba was corrupted and replaced with a similar but different character, Anibaba, the moment he was bitten by the snake. After getting Solomon's Wisdom'd by Aladdin, Anibaba was banished (hopefully for good) and Alibaba returned. Even Mor said Anibaba was not like the Alibaba she knew after all! So the second season can progress with the real Alibaba seemingly back.
I like this theory! May the Rukh never let Anibaba return in the 2nd season.
Old 2013-04-03, 09:24   Link #1936
kitten320

I feel disappointed... this arc provided no excitement for me what so ever. Villains were lame and weird Deu Ex Machinas at the end did not help...

Well it wasn't too bad until they entered the dungeon. Than it was just meh... weakest arc that's for sure =/

Well I'm looking forward to season 2. Hope upcoming arcs will be better and will focus on something else and not Alibaba again.

Otherwise I will give it 8 because of engaging first half.
Old 2013-04-03, 09:25   Link #1937
alluka

Just watched the 2 last episodes and it was just hilarious XDD What's with Hakuryuu protecting Alibaba without his spear? he's a warrior isn't he? and shouldn't he have died from blood loss? and, more importantly, what's with that ridiculously displayed "cleavage"
Spoiler for Emobaba:

Spartos was awesome in the last ep, for exactly 12 seconds XD, which is a feat since he didn't get enough action in the manga (yet).

Anyway, this anime had its ups and (many)downs:
VAs fitted their characters perfectly. That was my first hearing Ryouhei acting crazy like that, and his laughter in the web radio is contagious XDD. Ishihara was the surprise of this series and it's good to see that she's getting more roles.
The art was faithful to the original and despite some scenes (or rather, one entire episode), was good overall, the backgrounds were beautiful too.
The story was good until the the end of the Balbadd arc, why all these changes and that super boring cliché final battle if you're planning a second season, seriously?
The characters were okay, some didn't get enough 'love': Anime-Jamil left me completely indifferent, Sindbad didn't appear as menacing as in the manga (seriously, the look he gave Hakuryuu in the manga was scary) and emobaba was just annoying.
The OST was good, particulary the 'enfin apparu- finally appeared' one, that's why it was in all the trailers. 'Dance bizarre 01- weird dance 01' was weird indeed

All in all, 5/10, because it could have done so much better, or should just have stopped at the Balbadd arc. The question of the day is: How are they going to adapt the rest since the manga is still in the magnoshtatt arc? Good thing that Emobaba won't appear as much (or will he?)
Old 2013-04-03, 10:02   Link #1938
Accelolita_

First, I shall do what Kakkou is doing, calling anime Alibaba Anibaba, nice idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluka View Post
VAs fitted their characters perfectly. That was my first hearing Ryouhei acting crazy like that, and his laughter in the web radio is contagious XDD.

[...]

Good thing that Emobaba won't appear as much (or will he?)

About the VAs, I totally agree with you, wonderful choice for everyone and about Ryouhei. If I remember correctly he also voiced Aki in Kamisama Dolls? And imo is also pretty crazy (at least as far I read/watched~ )

About Emobaba. Uuuuuh, well, he does get his share of screentime. Hopefully the anime didn't switch the characters of Hakuryuu and Alibaba. Since Hakuryuu is supposed to be emo and not Alibaba
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 18:54   Link #1939
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Luckily I don't read Manga, so it was a smooth ride for me. That and I'm in for the Sinbad. Don't get me wrong, the other characters are cool, but Sinbad is just OP badass, maybe that new spinoff manga about him can get animated.

Anyway, 8 out of 10....look forward to a new season and some more Sinbad.
Old 2013-04-03, 19:29   Link #1940
Darthtabby

As an anime viewer, I actually quite liked the final episode.

As for why the staff chose to adapt things the way they did, I can only speculate. But ideally the component stories that make up a larger story should be able to stand on their own, and this is especially true when you might or might not get a chance to finish telling the rest of the story later. (We don't know at what point the decision to green light a second season was made.) It seems to me that a lot of the changes that were made could be the result of attempts to ensure that this season could stand on its own -from trying to make the ending more epic, to putting more focus on one character and making his overcoming his issues into a storyline that lasts much of the season -even the decision to cram in a second dungeon could be explained this way. (What do you think the anime only viewers would think if dungeon clearing was implied to be a major component of the series, but only saw one dungeon cleared in the whole series, and that one early on?)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy, shounen