AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-15, 20:03   Link #421
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ohhh. Yeah, they can't touch him.

I don't know why Bandai can't release it on blu-ray. They're doing it on DVD, those jerks.
Old 2012-03-16, 10:04   Link #422
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

They're releasing what on DVD and not Blu-Ray?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 16:03   Link #423
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well DVD is region based. Region 2 discs don't generally get sold in the United States (Region 1), were Robotech exists under copyright.

A BD is also region based, but both Japan and the United States are in the same region. Thus would allow Macross to play on the US market...in opposition to the Robotech copyright.

To be fair, I like some of the Robotech background music better than the Macross music. Unlike Yamato, they stripped Macross of all its sounds and redid it whole. Star Blazers at least we got to have the original music (even if the songs were redubbed, the music was the same).

Lynn Minmay's songs are rather different in the two versions....and I was tired of both versions of Minmay's singing by the end of the show. Same song...over and over again. (DECULTURE!)
Old 2012-03-16, 16:58   Link #424
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
To be fair, I like some of the Robotech background music better than the Macross music. Unlike Yamato, they stripped Macross of all its sounds and redid it whole. Star Blazers at least we got to have the original music (even if the songs were redubbed, the music was the same).
Frankly, I ignored all the BGM in the original SDF, except DYRL and its ending theme. It wasn't until Macross Plus where I begin to take the BGM seriously.

... so in other words, I am just selective.

No, I couldn't stand Seven, but it was better than Zero, which was mediocre at best.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 17:29   Link #425
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've watched very little of Seven. It would just not work over here, even if they tried to tie it into Robotech...it was just too much.

Though honestly I found the OVA of the Strongest Women quite funny in the shear audacity to use the normal Minmay Defense in an very aggressive fashion (when the Kissing tactic didn't work), as in firing a huge speaker into someone's bridge, followed by mass fangirling to the point even the rest of the cast is dumbfounded.

I tend to pay attention to background music. Probably because of what background I have in music (and maybe because of Yamato). I always like certain styles of hero music. Especially when it comes in as just a few notes, to give the audiance a hint if they aren't paying attention.
Old 2012-03-17, 01:57   Link #426
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And I still don't know what they're releasing on DVD and not Blu-Ray.
Isn't the remaster HD-only?

Old 2012-03-17, 09:56   Link #427
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Gundam Unicorn, sorry.
Old 2012-03-17, 14:26   Link #428
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe they know the market. Kind of like how Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is getting English subtitles, but only on the BD release.
Old 2012-03-17, 14:28   Link #429
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

No, they are afraid of reverse import. The person who let America share a region code with other countries needs a slap in the face.
Old 2012-03-17, 14:47   Link #430
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
No, they are afraid of reverse import. The person who let America share a region code with other countries needs a slap in the face.
and the guy who came up with the region code scheme should be shot.
Old 2012-03-17, 15:23   Link #431
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Fortunately, in this case, BD plays both in the US and Japan. IIRC, there are also some SONY BD players that do not require regional codes.

Moreover, if you have a PS3, then its definitely region-free.

Oh, to add salt to injury, every SDF Macross BD imported to the America should have a label that says "FUCK YOU Harmony Gold FUCK YOU!"

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-03-17, 15:34   Link #432
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
No. The region codes are important because of importing and exporting. It's not for piracy, it's for the economy.
Old 2012-03-17, 15:52   Link #433
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Moreover, if you have a PS3, then its definitely region-free.
No, it's not. Whatever gave you THAT idea?
And region codes are so outdated it's not even funny. If you need those to protect your economy, you're already screwed.

Old 2012-03-17, 16:04   Link #434
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Whose ecomony? Japanese prices are still three to four times what what most discs go for in America. Only a few 3D BD are at Japanese level prices.

That BD share the Region with Japan and America gets rid of one importing headache...specifically the need for an additional or specialized player. It does not remove the cost issue of the discs.

DVDs are still locked out because the US and Japan are different regions.

However there is something interesting about Japan in its DVD and BD relationship chart. To sell to European countries, they can use DVDs with whatever language encoded onto it, as Europe, the Middle East, South Africa, and Japan are all Region 2 DVD. If they want to sell to the United States, Taiwan, Korea, and Southeast Asia, they do that same thing, but on BD, as Japan, Southeast Asia, and the Americas are all Region A BD.

Pretty much the only places that are completely screwed still in this combined plan are: the rest of Africa, the rest of Asia (China, India, Russia) and Australia.
Old 2012-03-17, 16:24   Link #435
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
No, it's not. Whatever gave you THAT idea?
You have a point, my PS3 was an early model before all the BS were implemented. I haven't had a problem playing BDs from other countries.

On the other hand, DVD region-free players are everywhere now... its so easy to get its not even funny. You can get one for $15!!

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2012-03-17 at 16:35.
Old 2012-03-17, 16:53   Link #436
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Blame Harmony Gold folks.

FU@K them in the AS$.
Old 2012-03-17, 18:18   Link #437
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Whose ecomony? Japanese prices are still three to four times what what most discs go for in America. Only a few 3D BD are at Japanese level prices.

That BD share the Region with Japan and America gets rid of one importing headache...specifically the need for an additional or specialized player. It does not remove the cost issue of the discs.
Not a nation's economy, the economy of the industry. Because of the price difference reverse importing is a fear for companies such as those that make anime. If the pricing was the same, there would be no big deal, but it's not. The companies count on that revenue but if people in Japan import from the US, they lose that revenue. It's why Bandai is limiting (or was) their BD releases. They even excluded the Japanese audio for some series! Thankfully Bandai is the only one and look what is happening to Bandai in the US.

Piss off the fans and you'll make less money than if you had done it right the first time.

the Garden of Sinner's was a rare release because it was never simulcasted or previously released with English subtitles. I have my Fate/Zero sitting on my shelf and the only subtitles it has are the ones from the simulcast. All the extras are without subtitles, which pissed me off greatly.

With regards to Macross, I think if they do a Macross Frontier BD with English subtitles it will sell well. I suspect Aniplex researched Garden of Sinner's popularity before making it available for import with a special translation booklet. I have copies of the original Macross DVDs from ADV. Impossible to buy a copy so I rented and copied. Not something I'm especially proud of, but it's what I had to do at the time. I would have for a Frontier one. Maybe they'll do it for the movies, who knows.

Let's hope Harmony Gold goes bankrupt or something, lol.
Old 2012-03-17, 18:24   Link #438
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Do remember that there are fans out there that like Robotech and care nothing for any of the rest of the Macross series. This was the group that got that Robotech sequel movie made a few years back.

Because it still sells, the copyright holds.
Old 2012-03-17, 18:36   Link #439
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ohhh yeah, lol. I don't keep track of Robotech at all. Robotech, bleh.

Fandango had a list of old TV shows that would be cool to see as a Hollywood movie and they said Robotech. *face palm*
Old 2012-03-17, 18:45   Link #440
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You have a point, my PS3 was an early model before all the BS were implemented. I haven't had a problem playing BDs from other countries.
But that's because most BD's don't implement region codes, not because your PS3 is region-free.
Try to play UK's special edition of Akira, I dare ya.

Tags
action, mecha, romance