AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-28, 11:58   Link #2101
Midonin
Last Engage

Mobirates 17 - Millefeuille Combo

This has been a fine time for yuri fans. But this episode, this episode... the yuri level just shot through the roof. Jenny/Lynn are in the running for the couple of the year. It would require a pretty strong level of denial to call this subtext. The stuff with the insurance companies and Jenny basically domineering the space travel industry was nice, but the one thing I took out of this episode was the yuri. Sweet, delicious girl-on-girl romance. That's another thing I got into this show for, on some subconscious level. Marika/Chiaki may not be that blatant, but give it time. This season is turning out pretty satisfying.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:11   Link #2102
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
It would require a pretty strong level of denial to call this subtext.
Not even that really.
Spoiler for ep17:

EDIT: as for Marika and Chiaki... even if I am a yuri fan, I don't think they will ever be more than friends. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've got.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-04-28 at 12:24.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:27   Link #2103
00Coyote

Spoiler for episode 17:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:41   Link #2104
Kyuu
=^^=

K... k... k... kissing scenes?!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:55   Link #2105
Random Wanderer

SQUEEEEEEE!

I've got some issues with some of the art in this episode, though. They screwed up the shape of several people's faces in some scenes, including Jenny's at least once, which is not forgiveable.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 13:25   Link #2106
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Spoiler for episode 17:
Old 2012-04-28, 13:41   Link #2107
Random Wanderer

I posted a more complete reaction post elsewhere. I'll just copy it over here.

Spoiler for episode 17:
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 14:02   Link #2108
ookamigirl

Private job to "kidnap" Jenny.
Guess she wanted to avoid that marriage at any cost.
Her uncle was not planning to give up on her that easily.
Blackmail is such a low blow, but was kinda expected.
Can't wait to see how it'll continue.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 14:19   Link #2109
Utsuro no Hako

Anyone want?

Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 14:25   Link #2110
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Anyone want?

I'll take this one, thanks.
Old 2012-04-28, 14:32   Link #2111
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
SQUEEEEEEE!

I've got some issues with some of the art in this episode, though. They screwed up the shape of several people's faces in some scenes, including Jenny's at least once, which is not forgiveable.
Probably with the outsourced studio, which could've used a cost-cutting technique (I recall that there were some slight variations of character design back when I was watching Macross Frontier).
Old 2012-04-28, 14:41   Link #2112
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Spoiler for episode 17:
Spoiler for 17:

Quote:

Spoiler for episode 17:
Spoiler for 17:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 17:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 17:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 17:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 14:47   Link #2113
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not one but two kisses! This is more than I was hoping for. It feels good not having to use your yuri goggles from time to time.

Jenny showcased again how awesome she is in this episode. I love how she didn't even need the Bentamaru to stage her kidnapping and instead escaped all by herself, providing us with an amazing action sequence. The best part of the episode was her reunion with Lynn and the kisses, I loved the girls' reaction to it, Gruier's in particular (Grunhilde's poker face was also amusing).

Although Jenny and Lynn stole the show this week, Marika was also awesome. I find it rather fallacious that pirates can't do piracy (I wish they'd use Privateer to refer to them instead, because they can currently hardly be called pirates) so I'm glad Marika decided to screw the rules and do what she wants; I expected no less from her of course. That's what being a pirate is about! Freedom!

Quote:

Spoiler for episode 17:
I don't get why her uncle is so hell-bent on getting rid of her either. We've been told he's doing that because he doesn't want Jenny to succeed her, and it's quite apparent Jenny has no intention to take over his company, so there shouldn't be any problems, should there? It sounds like the kind of problems that could be solved through a simple discussion. He can just make Jenny sign a contract stating she gives up her shares or whatever if he doesn't trust her.
Old 2012-04-28, 14:55   Link #2114
tsunade666

wow super episode and the clothes adds to the SQUUUEEEEE! SPREE Factor. A prince and a princess in wedding dress though she hides a laser firing pistol on her thighs

Super exciting episode and I can't wait for the next one. This anime is really indeed one of my favorite from the past season and still dominates my passion even this season. This season just lacks that "something" which I like.
Old 2012-04-28, 15:10   Link #2115
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I find it rather fallacious that pirates can't do piracy (I wish they'd use Privateer to refer to them instead, because they can currently hardly be called pirates)
They can't really be called privateers either. (What are privateers, if not pirates with letters of marque? )

I said it before - they're entertainers and couriers.

Quote:
so I'm glad Marika decided to screw the rules and do what she wants; I expected no less from her of course. That's what being a pirate is about! Freedom!
No, it's about attacking merchant ships and robbing them...

Quote:
I don't get why her uncle is so hell-bent on getting rid of her either. We've been told he's doing that because he doesn't want Jenny to succeed her, and it's quite apparent Jenny has no intention to take over his company, so there shouldn't be any problems, should there? It sounds like the kind of problems that could be solved through a simple discussion. He can just make Jenny sign a contract stating she gives up her shares or whatever if he doesn't trust her.
How is that apparent? Because she has her own company, thus showcasing her business acumen? That's the opposite.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 16:22   Link #2116
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Not even that really.
Spoiler for ep17:
Score one for authorial guts, there. It's nice to see them saying, "screw subtext, the lesbian supporting couple are in fact a lesbian supporting couple." Loved how the director trolled hard during the kiss scene by pulling back and showing multiple camera angles that made it looked like they were going to weasel before coming in around to show the kiss.

Quote:
EDIT:
Quote:
as for Marika and Chiaki... even if I am a yuri fan, I don't think they will ever be more than friends. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've got.
Honestly...yeah. Among other things, we have no idea if Marika's even interested in girls. Chiaki's tsundereness is what's pushing that pairing with the shippers. They did better Spock-and-McCoying it over the law-abiding nature of piracy (I liked how the yacht club girls were operating under the assumption that pirates, well...pirated ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'll take this one, thanks.
Gah! This is what I get for taking a nap this afternoon and being late to the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They can't really be called privateers either. (What are privateers, if not pirates with letters of marque? )

I said it before - they're entertainers and couriers.
...Well, the history indicates that they clearly started out as privateers in the traditional sense, only after the Galactic Empire swallowed up everybody (I still get "does not compute" vibes over the idea of a good-guy Galactic Empire, though. Seriously, nobody does that. ), and ended the conflict, they had to channel their activities into other areas. In RL history, what happens to privateers is that their letters of marque are revoked by the government and they either turn pirate or return to legitimate private-sector seafaring jobs. It looks like Sea of the Morningstar's government decided not just yank the letters but use government regulation to ease the transition and keep their spaceways from being flooded with suddenly unemployed space raiders. Over a century-ish, this is what we've got left...

I still nearly facepalmed over Chiaki's "We're PIRATES! We don't commit criminal acts!" routine, though.

Quote:
How is that apparent? Because she has her own company, thus showcasing her business acumen? That's the opposite.
It's interesting; Lynn's discussion of the background details suggested that that was pretty much the case, that Jenny had started her own company as, in essence, a trial run to enable her to gain experience and begin positioning herself as the next Hugh and Dolittle heir. On the other hand, Show suggested that Fairy Jane was operating on a scale to register as a potential future competitor to one of the largest corporate entities in the setting, suggesting that Jenny was going the "independent rival" route.

I loved the negotiation scene, though, as it showed off Marika's strengths rather forcefully:

1. Quick reaction time to a hostile situation, instead of sitting around babbling.

2. Gut instinct to identify the best way to proceed (Harold Lloyd Union was being threatened on a business basis, so the way to counter that threat is by showing that the alternative is more, or at least potentially more profitable, especially when she also realized that Show was pretty much looking for an excuse to take their side), instead of wasting time on hand-wringing and "oh won't you please help us?"

3. Trust in her people--she was sure that Jenny was going to have this aspect of things worked out in advance, so she quickly moved to give her the opportunity to bid high and make things work.

Misa--possibly my least favorite recurring character in the show--nonetheless gets considerable bonus points from me for cutting off the "we must break out and save our captain/ship!" train ride by pointing out that Marika is the captain and that it's her job to send for them, not their job to ride after her whenever they think the going is tough. I really like the development here in this arc which suggests that the crew is starting to think of Marika as their captain and not a little kid like in Ep. 6-7. Character relationship development FTW!

Next ep. preview suggests that things are going to end up face-to-face with the wicked uncle. I hope that resolution comes in the form of something that Marika (preferably) or Jenny (acceptably) planned out and not through blind luck. Perfectly fine if a squadron of Serenity warships drops in to protect Princesses--ahem, Citizens--Gruier and Grunhilde or the Bentenmaru's crew appears with a crazy last-second rescue--if it's because Marika set it up so that they could do so. Or, to sum it up, I want Marika and the Yacht Club Pirates to beat Jenny's uncle, not escape him.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 16:26   Link #2117
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Hey hey hey... I thought they said there gonna be no yuri stuff. Not only did they jump pass the line and showed a kiss scene, there was another kiss scene and stated their relationship.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 17:06   Link #2118
Kadi
知識の探求者

I think they said "no romance", no matter the kind, and I don't see romance here, just an established couple. Wait, they did go against that announcement by going with Parfait x Chiaki...
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 17:16   Link #2119
Kazu-kun

The "no romance" thing was a misunderstanding to begin with.
Old 2012-04-28, 17:17   Link #2120
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well... that was a fun episode.

Some "quality" moments in the animation for sure. The Jenny escape was poorly sketched- just a bit too speed up- but I guess the awesomeness of the story there would cover for that. But even a few of the still shots were off, there was one particularly noticeable one of Marika that reached Meguca levels of off model.

I'm not a yuri fan, but hey, at least there was no pussy footing around about it. Marika obviously was shocked by it- suggesting to me that Marika is going to stay decidedly asexual. Which is a good thing I think. Can't have the Captain get entangled in romantic relationships.

I do have to say the show is missing a little testosterone. I almost wish Marika had managed to hire at least one crew member during her little recruiting trip. Maybe an easygoing fellow who decided that Marika's hot legs were too much to pass up, even if the captain of the Barbarossa was threatening him.

During that negotiation scene when Marika crossed her legs while glossing over the risks involved I couldn't help but think that Marika uses them like a weapon. 'Oh, you're going to try and treat me like a little girl who needs the grownups to protect her? Let me cross my awesome legs to distract you before I pwn your feeble objections."

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri