AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-03-20, 04:05   Link #661
s07195
Kimi no na wa?!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Spoiler for "Shiny Rod"(Wikipedia):


EDIT: Also, Woodward-sensei's VA is Horie Mitsuko, famously known for being the VA for Akko from Himitsu no Akko-chan.
__________________

Last edited by s07195; 2017-03-20 at 04:16.
s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 04:24   Link #662
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark700 View Post
Akko's character is progressing forward more and I like the direction of it. Rather than being a fan, perhaps now she'll make name for herself and become a great witch.
For the past few episodes, I've had a thought. If Trigger had been able to make LWA a few years earlier like everyone hoped they could, it would have been the go to example for breaking out onto your own path out of the shadow of your inspiration, for the current generation.
Instead, they delayed and got beaten to it by a School Idol anime.
However, scheduling suggests they'll get to show the results earlier.

Quote:
Speaking of Diana, it's also noticeable that she learned some inside info from that forbidden book. Really makes me curious who led her to that book though and if it's a good or bad entity.
It was the blue moon that led Diana to the book. As to whether a forbidden book is good or evil, I think it's possibly more complicated than that.

Let me give an example.

Would you consider a Nuclear Physics textbook good or evil? Would you seal it away as a forbidden tome?
What if you were a civilization that had destroyed itself in Nuclear war? Would that change your answer?

The fact that there can be more than one answer is what makes the situation complicated. I'd like to think that's the same for what Diana's found.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 06:34   Link #663
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hearing how episode 10 has been panned in some quarters... while I've not seen someone condemn Episode 11 yet, it makes me wonder. Were the 9 episodes between 1 and 11 even necessary for Episode 11 to make sense? Because I can imagine some of the "LWA sucks because it has no plot crowd" might argue that it is utterly inexcusable, even in a two cour anime to spend 9 episodes in seemingly disconnected vignettes. Now, I acknowledge in all probability, the 9 seemingly plot-free episodes would prove absolutely critical to the plot as we've been told in Episode 11 to make sense.

I think no matter how good the next 14 episodes would be, this series will be judged on hindsight whether it should have spent 9 episodes between Episode 2-10 building up using seemingly random, episodic scenarios where the continuity of time appears minimal outside subtle hints that Akko's magic has been slowly improving. The basic argument that LWA is not good basically revolves around whether launching the plot so close to the end of the first cour was necessary or ideal. On one hand, fans would argue that those 9 episodes were essential to build up characterization, introduce aspects of the LWA world in slice of lifestyle scenarios, give Akko a plausible and slow growth curve that helps define Akko's character development, introduce basic conflicts and establish a "normal" to deviate from. Critics would probably point out that all of these could have been done far more efficiently, and the first half of LWA involved alot of very wasteful near fillerish story-telling and in so far that they were important, these plot points could have been shown in a far more efficient manner.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 07:38   Link #664
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyrule
Age: 46
This is why so many critics are miserable human beings who no longer know how to enjoy themselves, and why I stopped visiting TV Tropes. Sometimes you have to just let the show be the show and enjoy what it gives you without trying to dissect it.
__________________
FGO Info: (JP) 055835281 | クワイガンケニー ==== (EN) 952525630 | quigonkenny
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 09:10   Link #665
ScrewySquirrel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Hearing how episode 10 has been panned in some quarters... while I've not seen someone condemn Episode 11 yet, it makes me wonder. Were the 9 episodes between 1 and 11 even necessary for Episode 11 to make sense? Because I can imagine some of the "LWA sucks because it has no plot crowd" might argue that it is utterly inexcusable, even in a two cour anime to spend 9 episodes in seemingly disconnected vignettes. Now, I acknowledge in all probability, the 9 seemingly plot-free episodes would prove absolutely critical to the plot as we've been told in Episode 11 to make sense.

I think no matter how good the next 14 episodes would be, this series will be judged on hindsight whether it should have spent 9 episodes between Episode 2-10 building up using seemingly random, episodic scenarios where the continuity of time appears minimal outside subtle hints that Akko's magic has been slowly improving. The basic argument that LWA is not good basically revolves around whether launching the plot so close to the end of the first cour was necessary or ideal. On one hand, fans would argue that those 9 episodes were essential to build up characterization, introduce aspects of the LWA world in slice of lifestyle scenarios, give Akko a plausible and slow growth curve that helps define Akko's character development, introduce basic conflicts and establish a "normal" to deviate from. Critics would probably point out that all of these could have been done far more efficiently, and the first half of LWA involved alot of very wasteful near fillerish story-telling and in so far that they were important, these plot points could have been shown in a far more efficient manner.

And just maybe, its an episodic, light comedy with an underlying plot. LWA is about the wacky, comic adventures the not-competent Akko and her friends, who are a trio of troublemakers, have at Luna Nova. Its screams episodic style. there is still a full Cour to go and 6, maybe 7 episodes will deal with teh shiny rod: the 5 remaining gems, and the climax of the plot in 1 or 2 additional episodes. thats at most only half the remaining episodes, the rest will be more wacky adventures, I hope.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 09:59   Link #666
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
And now we have plot.

I'm curious why they're allowing Akko to keep holding on what may as well be the the most powerful magic item in existence, with the apparent power to revive magic on the planet. Or maybe they don't know that it is? I'm guessing Diana probably has an inkling just what the staff is.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 11:07   Link #667
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 32
Very interesting episode, a lot more story driven than usual. I agree it set Akko and Diana on a path where they will inevitably have to clash, but given the kind of show she is, they'll make up and everything will be fine in the end.

I wonder when Akko will realize the Rod only works when you use specific words. I don't think she is aware of it yet, she awakened the word more or less unconsciously in this episode.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 11:27   Link #668
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm curious why they're allowing Akko to keep holding on what may as well be the the most powerful magic item in existence, with the apparent power to revive magic on the planet. Or maybe they don't know that it is?
Ursula/Chariot knows what it is. The witch who was testing Akko knows what it is. But didn't the rod choose Akko? It responds to her, and as far as I can see, only to her.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 11:46   Link #669
ScrewySquirrel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Ursula/Chariot knows what it is. The witch who was testing Akko knows what it is. But didn't the rod choose Akko? It responds to her, and as far as I can see, only to her.
exactly.

the Rod chose Akko because her dream (make people happy with magic) and her outright stubborn determination make her the best chance to revive magic, far more than Diana's haughtiness. Constanze will thrive in it, but she's never going to revive magic.

What I'm wondering is: once activated, does the Shiny Rod have limited uses?

Perhaps thats why Shiny Chariot had to retire? in defeating the dragon that showed up at the show Akko attended, she used up the last power of Shiny Rod, and had to give it up?
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 11:57   Link #670
Albel VII
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: The Garden of the Sun
Spoiler for space:

Okay, that's true.
Spoiler for space:

I agree. This wouldn't be surprising at all considering Diana's personality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
My assumption is that she wants Akko to be ready and at full power because those ominous images Akko saw is probably the future, and Akko would need the full power of the Shiny Rod to face it.

Diana was led by some supernatural force, just like Akko. The difference is that we got to see who was leading Akko. It was Woodwart. Whoever was leading Diana to the book remains hidden, which is more suspicious.
I see your point now. It's hard to say whether you're right or not, but I can see it happening if it is a supernatural force that is manipulating her. I hope you're theory is correct though, since this could be a very interesting turn of events.

Last edited by Albel VII; 2017-03-20 at 11:59. Reason: typos
Albel VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 12:03   Link #671
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
Perhaps thats why Shiny Chariot had to retire? in defeating the dragon that showed up at the show Akko attended, she used up the last power of Shiny Rod, and had to give it up?
Woodward said it had been "lost" and we know Akko found it in Arcturus Forest... where the Great Spell is potentially sealed.
That suggests to me that Chariot was going to unseal the great spell at last, but something happened, or perhaps it didn't happen, Chariot failed at the last step and the Rod abandoned her.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 12:08   Link #672
Julio C
Bury My Shell
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Now we can see what the main plot will be about and the outcome of that will be world changing. Now it comes down to who is going to be the true enemy at the end. There may be a twist later on.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 13:22   Link #673
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
Looks like the main plot has started to rear it's head. Ako has always considered Diana a rival, but now it's even more likely that they will clash in the future. I'm sure once that conflict is resolved the two girls can become proper friendly rivals.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 13:42   Link #674
Boukenxha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Seeing as they were all guided by the blue moon, Akko to open the entrance of the cave, Ursula to the image of Akko in the magic cauldron to know where to retrieve her and Diana to the book she was looking for and the knowledge unlocked in the those old pages, it is entirely possible they have been chosen to be in this together as comrades too. Though I'm not ruling out Diana overstepping and thinking she knows better, at least we have Ursula there to set the younglings straight.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 13:54   Link #675
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Though I'm not ruling out Diana overstepping and thinking she knows better, at least we have Ursula there to set the younglings straight.
If Diana does end up antagonizing Akko, I don't think that's gonna be resolved so easily. That's just not LWA's style. For example, the plot point of Andrew and his father's negative view on magic was introduced in episode 6 and it hasn't been resolved yet. LWA is pretty slow to develop and resolve its plot points. If Diana does become an antagonist, expect that to stay that way for a while.


On another note, I got this from someone on 4chan

>Turns out, Woodward-sensei is voiced by Horie Mitsuko, the voice actor of Akko from Himitsu no Akko-chan herself.
>What's more, she hasn't done any VA roles for TV anime between 2009 and now.
>Here's another fun fact, Nelson-sensei (flying teacher) is voiced by Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service.
>So yeah, LWA is def paying homage to its predecessors. Noriko as Ursula-sensei is the cherry on top.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2017-03-20 at 14:18.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 14:45   Link #676
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I am curious to see how things will unfold for Diana and Akko moving ahead. True they were both guided by the blue moon to their respective destinations. I guess the interesting thing moving ahead will be how Diana responds to the knowledge she acquired and how Akko might be impacted by those flashes and images she was bombarded with. If she retains any conscious memory of them at all. It was something that straight up knocked her out and utterly exhausted her.

The tricky thing for Akko is how she is moving through the dark right now. Unaware of what she's being guided to do. Though probably is better for her to continue moving ahead as is. It lets her stay focused on practicing and improving her own magic without being caught up in any serious distraction like this would be.

Though that may not stay the case if Diana makes the logical connection of the Shiny Rod being extremely significant.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 15:55   Link #677
ScrewySquirrel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
No one has commented of just how Obscure the orginal name of the shiny rod is?

Its the Gaelic 'Sword of Light' -- far, far more obscure than, say, Excalibur, which would have connections to Glastonbury.

---

and on a different issue, there sthe hats of the 9 old witches. I think all of them are shout out to other fictional witches, but I've only guessed 3:

http://i.imgur.com/UjRSCPO.jpg

starting with teh fez on teh left side:
#2 is the Wicked Witch of the West
#3 is Scarlet Witch (MARVEL COMICS)
#6 is Rita Repulsa (as we know her from Power Rangers)
#8 is Granny Weatherwax
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 16:21   Link #678
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Is the name obscure? I first saw Claimh Solais from Castlevanua, and it is not an uncommon name in RPGs, so I assumed it is not particular unknown. Certainly, it is not as famous as Excalibur, but not a long list of famous items is.

I am hoping for an Arika and Nina style resolution for Akko and Diana.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 16:34   Link #679
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Spoiler for "Shiny Rod"(Wikipedia):


EDIT: Also, Woodward-sensei's VA is Horie Mitsuko, famously known for being the VA for Akko from Himitsu no Akko-chan.
So, uhm, is it safe to say the Shiny Rod is really Akko's Noble Phantasm ?
__________________
----
What if Goku was super smart and had a thing for philosophy? Find out in The Optimised Wish Project!
----

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 17:41   Link #680
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Looking back at the montage near the end of episode 1 of future events, the Blue Moon was shown too. I really like how you can go back after every new episode and piece more of it together. A bit worried what happens next now, because right after that one is an image of what looks like a nuke going off...
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
magic school, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.