AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-07-18, 22:42   Link #81
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Send a message via AIM to [UKE]Auel Send a message via MSN to [UKE]Auel
Most Gundams can do that, don't limit it to Freedom just because Freedom-bashing is all the rage.
[UKE]Auel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 22:55   Link #82
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by [UKE]Auel
Most Gundams can do that, don't limit it to Freedom just because Freedom-bashing is all the rage.
It's not even about the Gundams. It's the difference in the barrel size and the size of the ammunition. It's like comparing a .45 Colt and 40 mm AP shell.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 00:21   Link #83
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
I'm pretty damn confident that the tank's linear cannon is larger and longer than Freedom's little retractable railguns. I don't see where you sense me trying to flame Freedom; I wonder why are you getting defensive all of a sudden.
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 02:52   Link #84
ctown

ONLY 3 episodes

hows that possible?
ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 03:19   Link #85
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown
ONLY 3 episodes

hows that possible?
Obviously it was planned that way...
Old 2006-07-19, 03:39   Link #86
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel-
I'm pretty damn confident that the tank's linear cannon is larger and longer than Freedom's little retractable railguns. I don't see where you sense me trying to flame Freedom; I wonder why are you getting defensive all of a sudden.
Your comment can be interpreted as taking a jab at Freedom's "god power". I retract nothing I've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown
ONLY 3 episodes

hows that possible?
Why wouldn't it be? That's 40 minutes of story.

Edit: Before all the math nerds jump all over me, it would be 45 minutes total, but the ED for all three would probably take up somewhere around 5 minutes, give or take a minute or so.
Old 2006-07-19, 04:37   Link #87
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Edit: Before all the math nerds jump all over me, it would be 45 minutes total, but the ED for all three would probably take up somewhere around 5 minutes, give or take a minute or so.
The fact that you even address this speaks volumes XD...
Old 2006-07-19, 04:52   Link #88
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Erm...I don't see how that's remotely possible. Based on the linearts at MAHQ, the linear cannon barrel of the tank isn't all that big, clearly not that much different from regular tanks in real life.

Assuming a beam saber without the beam is as tall as one adult, then Freedom's Xiphias is as long as 6 adults and the ammunation size is argubly as big or bigger than cannon balls of yester-years while the linear tank's doesn't look any bigger than 150mm rounds.

And this is all barring the technological difference of old linear tanks to Freedom's prototype equipments.

I'm not trying to jab anything here, I'm just saying that it's logical that Freedom's railguns are superior to tanks.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 07:54   Link #89
Mega-Pimp
It's magic!

Funny how that attack helicopter were zipping all over the place dodging shells

What is odd is that the EA still haven't build a better tank...the Goufs mini beam guns should be around the right size to fit on a tank and they got more powerfull batteries now.
Considering that the tank is the backbone of the EA forces they should at least upgrade it after a while.

"This is not a linear tank boy! NOT A LINEAR TANK! This...this is the lazer tank."
"OFMG"

Or some such
Mega-Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 08:40   Link #90
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Pimp
Funny how that attack helicopter were zipping all over the place dodging shells

What is odd is that the EA still haven't build a better tank...the Goufs mini beam guns should be around the right size to fit on a tank and they got more powerfull batteries now.
Considering that the tank is the backbone of the EA forces they should at least upgrade it after a while.

"This is not a linear tank boy! NOT A LINEAR TANK! This...this is the lazer tank."
"OFMG"

Or some such
Presumably, more recent emphasis on MS technology means tanks are being side-lined development-wise. Especially since the (essentialy science-fiction level) technological power of an MS overshadows Tanks by so much. It is similar to why we don't see fighter jets, but instead transformable MS, in GSD.

The tanks are probably used like those old aircraft carriers Orb had. Out of date technology that are still functional and too expensive to abandon, but aren't worth the resources to retrofit new weapons.

(another possibility is that there ARE new tanks with beam weapons and so on, but they are few in number and just happens to be unavailable in the area.)
Old 2006-07-19, 12:33   Link #91
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Your comment can be interpreted as taking a jab at Freedom's "god power". I retract nothing I've said.
Just to clear this up for both sides.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../G-FIELD06.jpg

It looks more like an AP round.

Eitherway, Freedom uses RAILGUNS, these tanks use Linear Guns. Railguns produce a higher velocity than Linear guns. If a linear gun wants to produce the same killing velocity it'll need a bigger barrel to compensate.

That's why Edmond wanted the tank closer, the closer the tank, the better the round has in penetrating the GINN's armor due to its poor velocity. If those tanks had railguns though then they'd probably would've been like Freedom and do the same amount of damage. Though with Railguns I presume they have a lower firing rate.

Quote:
(another possibility is that there ARE new tanks with beam weapons and so on, but they are few in number and just happens to be unavailable in the area.)
More like the EAF are focusing more on MA's which are even better than retrofitting hundreds of tanks with beam weaponry.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 12:56   Link #92
rpgman1

Gotta like the first episode of Stargazer. It does feel more like 0080 and presents us why war isn't always fun and games, but the dark nature war presents to ordinary civilians.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 15:27   Link #93
Colonel-

I thought linear gun is similar to a rail gun? Perhaps I'm wrong.

As for the tank's cannon, it seems that most people think a tank's nothing compared to a MS. An actual tank is larger than you think. A Ginn type MS is 20 meters tall, and even modern MBTs have an average length of around 10-12 meters. From the picture of the linear tank, the barrel of the gun pretty looks about 3/4 of the body's length. Assuming that the furturistic linear tank, which looks more like an artillery gun mounted on a tank chasis, is 12 meters in length, the linear cannon is still around 9 meters. I don't think Freedom's railguns are half the MS's height!

In addition to length, the tank offers its entire chasis to support the linear cannon, meaning that the calibur on that thng is probably larger than what you can mount of a MS's hips. Unless SoldierofDarkness is correct that railguns > linear guns, then it's unfair that the tank's cannon is that weak while those mounted on a MS is super strong.

And Auel, I can care less about your fanboyism. Interpret it as whatever you want if you're so paranoid and anal about people bashing your idol MS. I was just pointing out something that doesn't make sense.
Old 2006-07-19, 15:46   Link #94
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I assume no one's subbing it yet? (didn't read all 5 pages :P) oh well...I'll check out the RAW

unless Bandai sucked up the license already <_<

satan! it stopped at 99.9% T_T

Last edited by Mr. DJ; 2006-07-19 at 16:12.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 15:57   Link #95
Miles Teg

Quote:
Assuming that the furturistic linear tank, which looks more like an artillery gun mounted on a tank chasis, is 12 meters in length, the linear cannon is still around 9 meters. I don't think Freedom's railguns are half the MS's height!
The length of Freedom railgun when unfolded is between 9 and 10 meters. Freedom (or strike) hips are at 10 meters and the railgun have more or less the same length as Freedom legs.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 16:00   Link #96
Colonel-

^ I've always wondered how they can fit that long ass gun on the hips of Freedom; such a small pivot point would make it really difficult to mount a gun of any significant weight unless the engineering material's good -.-

And the fricking tank got flipped over several times after getting hit by the bazooka round! Your average tank with a good calibur gun and average armor weight from 35-60 tons! Getting flipped over by a rocket round?
Old 2006-07-19, 16:10   Link #97
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
It's a 500mm round. The bazooka the GINN used is a ZAFT's M68 'Cattus' 500mm recoiless rifle.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 16:18   Link #98
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Quote:
And Auel, I can care less about your fanboyism. Interpret it as whatever you want if you're so paranoid and anal about people bashing your idol MS. I was just pointing out something that doesn't make sense.
Yes, because Freedom is totally zomg my favorite ms of all tiem!!11111 For someone who is complaining about me being all defensive, you sure are crying alot more than I am about it.
Old 2006-07-19, 16:22   Link #99
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I thought linear gun is similar to a rail gun? Perhaps I'm wrong.
They both throw magnetically accelerated bits of metal. But linear canons use magnetism to make the slug "float" inside the gun without touching the barrel instead of guiding it along rails. It produces less heat, and therefore allows a greater rate of fire, but the projectiles aren't as fast.

And the tanks looked like they had the lengths of two cars, so I don't think they were 12 meters long.

And about the pivots being made of very good material: a side effect of the phase shift armor, maybe? Mechanical stress is precisely what it's made to handle.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 17:00   Link #100
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
True enough, the speed of the projectile in a Linear Gun is dependent on the size of the barrel. Therefore, the speed achieved by a linear gun is actually alot smaller than that of a railgun. This is why the Valiant Cannons on the Archangel are so deadly even though their linear cannons, their freaking big.

I assume the reason the linear cannon on the tank broke was mainly because of the stress produced from firing "shredder shots" which the barrel was not designed to do.

Still, with a projectile like that it would at least cause some damage or dent on a MS. Though this isn't the first time we've seen MS take critical damage from linear tanks.

Quote:
I assume no one's subbing it yet? (didn't read all 5 pages :P) oh well...I'll check out the RAW
Subs been out for awhile, shouldn't be hard to look for it.

Quote:
It's a 500mm round. The bazooka the GINN used is a ZAFT's M68 'Cattus' 500mm recoiless rifle.
Not to mention it's packing explosive chemicals in it. That ought to count for something.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote