AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-03-24, 09:38   Link #81
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I believe I was on topic. The very premise of your thread was how amusing you found our new commander and chief on twitter. I came here to express a point of view contrary to your own. It may have been funny sometime during the Republican primary, but this man now holds the office of the highest power in the land. With great power comes great responsibility you know?
Again, my humor (twisted) isn't part of the discussion. The topics Donald Trump is bringing forth with his colorful tweets are. For example:
The Donald tweeted yesterday few hours prior to the votes in the House to pass Trumpcare: "We are taking action to #RepealANDReplace #Obamacare! Contact your Rep & tell them you support #AHCA. #PassTheBill
http://45.wh.gov/Rame8F
The discussion here was could the GOP even bring this bill to the floor for a vote, meaning would they have enough of their own party members vote to pass this bill? The answer, as we came to find out few hours later, was no. The GOP controlled house had to delay the vote for today cause some of their party members are balking.
Today he tweeted, "After seven horrible years of ObamaCare (skyrocketing premiums & deductibles, bad healthcare), this is finally your chance for a great plan!"

As much as he lies, he also tells a few truth. Premiums have been going up and so are the deductibles. The average increase in premiums this year alone have been 33%. That is not sustainable for most people in the US. If Republicans fail to fix some of the issue with ACA and the cost overrun continues or try to get rid of this law in any way, Democrats will get another chance in the coming elections.

And the funny take away for my twisted amusement:
"The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!"
The great negotiator in chief is having this much problem bringing his own party to pass this bill. And then comes the senate.................. hohohohoho

Quote:
Do people really know what's in their best interest sometimes when they have no grasp on what reality actually is? I must be in a liberal bubble because I happen to actually you know, look at real facts sometimes, but guess what?
Ah yes, the ego. I had to pause here before I could finish reading the remainder of your post. Not every 62.7 million voter who voted for him are yokel doodle country hicks, just like not every 65 million Hilary voters are thoughtful liberals. The liberals do not hold all the answers just like how the conservative don't have all the solution. The contentious issues (like immigration, trade, healthcare, bulging nation debt, and increasing uncertainty and down right scary foreign affairs) that are dividing this country can only be addressed if both sides are willing to work together. If one side is tuning the other side out because they think they have all the answer and also think the other side don't know what's in their best interest, then we are in a big trouble as a country. What Donald Trump has shown anyone can indeed become president if one is willing to take advantage of the mindset my-way-or-the-highway.

You don't have to normalize anything but you may not have any other choice but get used to him cause as things stand right now he has a very good shot at not only completing this term, but actually coming in for a second term. I don't see people trenched in their righteous belief while the continued belittle each other coming together any time soon and that works perfectly for the Donald.

Me, I choose to find humor. At least, I can enjoy myself. You don't have to join me but you will certainly stay on topic if you continue to post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by key board
Excuse me?

my problems have always been his policies? not the way he says things?

I am very much aware of his war on the working class and minorities, so yes, I am paying a lot of attention for my own survival
Good! Continue to look beneath what he's saying rather than how he is saying it so you can be on top of things at which direction US politics is heading in the coming years. While you're at it, start becoming active in your local politics.
Old 2017-03-24, 10:57   Link #82
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Again, my humor (twisted) isn't part of the discussion.

Me, I choose to find humor. At least, I can enjoy myself. You don't have to join me but you will certainly stay on topic if you continue to post in this thread.
Maybe not exactly your humour but considering how the very first post of this thread literally says how fun you think Trump's tweets are you will have to accept people stating their displeasure of them. You brought this up yourself so therefore it is part of whatever the point of this thread is supposed to be.

Quote:
The topics Donald Trump is bringing forth with his colorful tweets are. For example:
Today he tweeted, "After seven horrible years of ObamaCare (skyrocketing premiums & deductibles, bad healthcare), this is finally your chance for a great plan!"
As much as he lies, he also tells a few truth. Premiums have been going up and so are the deductibles. The average increase in premiums this year alone have been 33%. That is not sustainable for most people in the US. If Republicans fail to fix some of the issue with ACA and the cost overrun continues or try to get rid of this law in any way, Democrats will get another chance in the coming elections.
It's true that the ACA had its issues but the republicans plan to fix it how? By offering reductions for the rich and taking away healthcare from the poor. What we should discuss isn't this idiocy called Trumpcare but rather how to iron out the difficulties of the ACA.

Quote:
Ah yes, the ego. I had to pause here before I could finish reading the remainder of your post. Not every 62.7 million voter who voted for him are yokel doodle country hicks, just like not every 65 million Hilary voters are thoughtful liberals.
No but at least 39% are and more if the percentages don't overlap.

Quote:
[...]

You don't have to normalize anything but you may not have any other choice but get used to him cause as things stand right now he has a very good shot at not only completing this term, but actually coming in for a second term. I don't see people trenched in their righteous belief while the continued belittle each other coming together any time soon and that works perfectly for the Donald.
This we can agree on. It is very sad that the most important question isn't 'how do we advance America as a nation?' but 'how can we break the mindset of people who do not want to look at reality?'. If democrats can answer this question they will have a shot at the 2020 election.

Quote:
Good! Continue to look beneath what he's saying rather than how he is saying it so you can be on top of things at which direction US politics is heading in the coming years. While you're at it, start becoming active in your local politics.
Old 2017-03-24, 11:12   Link #83
GDB

Quote:
You mean "when", because they clearly aren't trying to fix those issues. If anything, they seem to intend to make them worse.

Quote:
And the funny take away for my twisted amusement:
"The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!"
It's "ironic" either way, because they'd either help PP stay afloat if they stop the plan or they help kill people by not letting them have affordable health care.

Quote:
If one side is tuning the other side out because they think they have all the answer and also think the other side don't know what's in their best interest, then we are in a big trouble as a country.
Again, what's with this "if"? This has been the GOP platform for 8 years. And I wouldn't be surprised if the DNC adopts it if things don't change since it apparently works.
Old 2017-03-24, 11:39   Link #84
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I seem to recall a bit of tuning out starting at least as far back as the Bush administration. After the post-9/11 patriotism started to fade that is. Than there was those two government shut downs in a row during 1995-96. There were several small (few day long at the most) shut downs during the Reagan administration.

Also a large number of walk outs by both parties.
Old 2017-03-24, 13:23   Link #85
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with Trump doing what he had been doing all this time. He at least had been consistent.

But Trump is the president because the American People wanted him. And if he gets a 2nd term it is also because the American people wanted him. That tells us what we know about the American people, and who best represents them.

Of course it works perfectly for Trump. That's democracy. He is what American wants. He represents the average American. His values are American's values. His morals are American's morals. Every day he speaks for America.
Old 2017-03-24, 15:36   Link #86
Draco Spirit

I just hope American politics gets out of hysteria politics soon. Everyone screaming with hate at each other and trying to drag each other down does not make a productive country.
Old 2017-03-24, 16:31   Link #87
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Your projection is wonderfully on point. I assume then that you have managed to remove Democrats from all there part of the government, that the draining of the swamp would commence at any moment?

Oh, actually, I remember Trump saying he was joking about that. Or was he joking about joking?
Nope, all I'm saying is that treating "voters like they are incapable of rational thought" has been the standard tactic of the Democrats for a very long time. They'll need a new strategy for the next election.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2017-03-24, 17:01   Link #88
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

They'll need to be more Politically Correct.

XP
Old 2017-03-24, 17:47   Link #89
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Nope, all I'm saying is that treating "voters like they are incapable of rational thought" has been the standard tactic of the Democrats for a very long time. They'll need a new strategy for the next election.
They need to stop saying it and start acting like it.
Old 2017-03-24, 19:14   Link #90
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I find it laughable that anyone even thinks they have a chance in 2018.
Old 2017-03-24, 19:24   Link #91
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Not the way they are going right now, still following the way than made them lose the last election, when not doubling down. They probably need to sack all the moron on top of the DNC and distance as much as possible from Hilary and her cronies as possible.
Old 2017-03-24, 19:36   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
I just hope American politics gets out of hysteria politics soon. Everyone screaming with hate at each other and trying to drag each other down does not make a productive country.
One party had completely taken over the federal government. If they couldn't actually work with each other in that condition then they were never going to.
Old 2017-03-24, 21:30   Link #93
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They need to stop saying it and start acting like it.
They did act as though voters were incapable of rational thought, which lost them three houses over the last 8 years and most likely the courtyard as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Not the way they are going right now, still following the way than made them lose the last election, when not doubling down. They probably need to sack all the moron on top of the DNC and distance as much as possible from Hilary and her cronies as possible.
Agreed, they need to clean house before 2018, though the impetus has to come from somewhere. They had no viable candidates in 2016 aside from two who were at the very tail ends of their political careers. I don't know where their next batch of candidates are going to come from, if at all.

The Republicans have many up-and-coming candidates but are clearly not a united lot. Imo, that's bad for the party but good for the country. Trumpcare/Ryancare would have been disastrous for the burgeoning national debt, huge sigh of relief that the Freedom Caucus stuck to their principles and came through in the end!

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2017-03-24, 22:05   Link #94
Toukairin
Banned

If the Democrats want to win the White House back, I strongly believe they should put forward someone who is the antithesis of Donald Trump. I didn't pay much attention back in the DNC convention, but I think there is such a someone who stood out of the lot among younger politicians when I re-watched some of the speeches there. Her name is Tulsi Gabbard.

When you look at her profile, she has everything Trump doesn't have although one might say she's a maverick and is quite outspoken like Trump. She is young (currently 35, but I hope records are still made to be broken); she certainly knows how to reach younger voters through a wise use of social media so far; she served in the National Guard and still holds her commission as a captain (you win a number of conservatives and military folks with that bit); she holds genuinely progressive views on social issues like medicare and legal use of marijuana; she is arguably the best person to carry over the torch from the social movement started by Bernie Sanders (she endorsed him, mind you); and she is still fresh in federal politics and people will want to turn towards a symbol of idealism.

People say the US have shifted further to the right with the last election, but I would never rule out a swinging of the pendulum in 2020, especially if Trump/Pence keeps carrying on with the path of major f***-ups and blunders. One thing I noticed by reading bits of history is that the DNC, in the modern era, have almost always won the White House from the GOP by lining up a politician who looked young and charismatic (JFK, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama). If history is well studied, then that route will be followed again. The DNC establishment will have to bend over this time just as the GOP establishment bent over for Trump.

The biggest shame here is that the American political system doesn't allow to choose a party leader who will carry on into the next election like it's done in a parliamentary system. Instead of choosing a chairman as they did in February, it would have been great if the system allowed the DNC to find the person who would lead the party the charge into the next election straight away.
Old 2017-03-25, 20:25   Link #95
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

I think this is the only Tweet from him where I can laugh about how ironic it is.
Old 2017-03-25, 21:06   Link #96
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

...Is...is he implying that he knows that he was being grossly incompetent?
Old 2017-03-26, 01:01   Link #97
Key Board
Carbon

No, that was posted in 2014

though I'm sure he wants to shove all the blame to Paul Ryan and fire him, right now
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2017-03-26, 01:13   Link #98
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
No, that was posted in 2014

though I'm sure he wants to shove all the blame to Paul Ryan and fire him, right now
Well if he manages to fire a person in the government who officially can't be fired by the President, I would certainly be impressed.
Old 2017-03-26, 05:38   Link #99
Key Board
Carbon

Spoiler:

legally no, but I guess, he'll apply pressure

This is going to be Paul Ryan's life from now on. How long can he take this, I wonder
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2017-03-26, 08:12   Link #100
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
legally no, but I guess, he'll apply pressure

This is going to be Paul Ryan's life from now on. How long can he take this, I wonder
Well this is a fight that was always going to happen. Trump believes that he is the leader of the GOP now, because he is president. But I seriously doubt that the GOP old guard sees it that way.

Ryan was the most senior GOP leader, until Trump was elected. And it was inevitable that Trump would try to fight for the leadership of the GOP. Ryan isn't going to give the reigns of his own party to Trump without a fight.