AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-11, 13:36   Link #161
BritishBearBoy
♥Osaka's Admirer♥

It is hard to imagine nothing happening after death. I hope that their is something after.
BritishBearBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 20:21   Link #162
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archontic View Post
I've never heard of some human being immortal, so from a biological standpoint, how can you actually avoid death?
You can't. Your body cell regeneration rate slows down at a certain point in your life, somewhere around 27, if I recall correctly. New cells are formed at a slower rate than they die, so your body starts to regress and eventually fails to function. That's considered natural death, something that no human can ever escape.

However, in theory, if you could somehow force the cells to regenerate at the same rate forever (through means of advanced bioengineering) then you could possibly live on. The biggest problem to solve here is, that brain cells do not regenerate at all, and your brain is you. Your body is just a tool given to you by nature in order to survive.
Old 2008-02-13, 00:35   Link #163
DetectiveA

Send a message via MSN to DetectiveA
my thoughts on the previous statements.

immortality.... would you want to live on blind, def, and on? No you wouldn't , you want to live on exactly how you are now.. not considering any misfortune.
Loneliness and depression.. isn't just feeling unwanted, its when you become your own enemy. When you fight your own self and cause self destruction.

people that say living life having the most fun. I personally think thats wrong.. Life is not about having fun. And its not about suffering to the point you become your own enemy.
"When I learned the most in life is when I was suffering."
Being happy you don't learn much.

Its true that all things in life are not forever. So if you are happy for the time being don't expect it to last until you die, if you are sad don't think it will always be that way. You don't want to become your own enemy.

I have learned that god is above all desires. Doesn't it make sense in order to teach us, we are put through tests and experiencing life through what ever our fate might be. "this life is about learning" "your whole life is a school, and some people don't want to do their homework."

I hope I die slowly without pain.

try to image this
"when you are born its like your falling asleep," most live their lives not thinking about death." But death is REALITY and that last second when you are dieing your hearth is pounding, feeling you never felt before are showing, wanting to live on, the fearless become cowardly, flashbacks and your last thought before you face the TRUTH and cross over to the point of no return.

I live my life doing and hoping I am not a coward when the time comes, and I hope I can experience my last moment with pleasure.
DetectiveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 02:08   Link #164
Gemstar
Banned

What is the point in living when you guys think you are going to die ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 02:36   Link #165
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodagod View Post
You can't. Your body cell regeneration rate slows down at a certain point in your life, somewhere around 27, if I recall correctly. New cells are formed at a slower rate than they die, so your body starts to regress and eventually fails to function. That's considered natural death, something that no human can ever escape.

However, in theory, if you could somehow force the cells to regenerate at the same rate forever (through means of advanced bioengineering) then you could possibly live on. The biggest problem to solve here is, that brain cells do not regenerate at all, and your brain is you. Your body is just a tool given to you by nature in order to survive.
That was a rhetorical God damn question, you ninny. XD

That was me being a smartass to who I was responding to. Aye, answering rhetorical questions should be against the law and punishable by extremity amputation.

GEMSTAR: That's the eternal question. It's instinct that makes us continue. Philosophy doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. Humans are animals, too. We all know we're going to die. I'm very into Sufism and Buddhism, but as spiritual as I am, I know that I'm going to die eventually. Don't you know anything about the cycle of life? That's like there's procreation.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 03:18   Link #166
DetectiveA

Send a message via MSN to DetectiveA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
We are not actually living we are dead we just don't know it.
DetectiveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 03:41   Link #167
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveA View Post
We are not actually living we are dead we just don't know it.
Oh God. The 70's hit the world harder than I'd thought.
Old 2008-02-13, 08:22   Link #168
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Quote:
for the lulz! or something like that. what's the point in posting if we're going to die anyway, then?
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 09:30   Link #169
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Providence View Post
for the lulz! or something like that. what's the point in posting if we're going to die anyway, then?
Because, we know we are going to die, we just don't when, except for Archontic who is going to avoid death by taking the other corner..but anywho..we post to share the love of what ever it is (Or hate..depending on your point of view) before we die..xD
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 09:45   Link #170
Kinya

Send a message via ICQ to Kinya

I see dead people.
Kinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 12:34   Link #171
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinya View Post

I see dead people.
That was a horrible joke, and you should be ashamed of it. Ashamed!
Old 2008-02-16, 00:47   Link #172
Gemstar
Banned

When you start to think about death and want to revel about it then you will have to make the most important decision of your life ( ultimate ) . When you are dead there's no more you and you can't do anything. But if there was a heaven what would your purpose be there ? Do you live there and just die again ? When there do laws apply ? Everything you've learned has no value up there anymore ( supposedly ) . What point what Math or your studies in school would do up there or down there ? Heaven or Hell can be in any direction, if we were in China heaven would be up but suppose we weren't in China but in California then it would be down..... Remember , death is something abstract !
If we are born to die then why were we born in the first place ? Why don't we all just go and die right away ? Just as if you think about death and others thoughts occur does the same thing happen when you think about life ( life in the context of greater ) ? What happens when you think about death for a period of time then just after think about life for the same period of time ? Is death simple or complex ? Do you guys ask yourself these questions ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 01:53   Link #173
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
When you start to think about death and want to revel about it then you will have to make the most important decision of your life ( ultimate ) . When you are dead there's no more you and you can't do anything. But if there was a heaven what would your purpose be there ? Do you live there and just die again ? When there do laws apply ? Everything you've learned has no value up there anymore ( supposedly ) . What point what Math or your studies in school would do up there or down there ? Heaven or Hell can be in any direction, if we were in China heaven would be up but suppose we weren't in China but in California then it would be down..... Remember , death is something abstract !
If we are born to die then why were we born in the first place ? Why don't we all just go and die right away ? Just as if you think about death and others thoughts occur does the same thing happen when you think about life ( life in the context of greater ) ? What happens when you think about death for a period of time then just after think about life for the same period of time ? Is death simple or complex ? Do you guys ask yourself these questions ?
Quite often, actually. But I'm more inclined to think that, when we die, we're simply worm food. It's not that I'm against people's belief in heaven and hell, far from it. And, if I die and appear at the pearly gates (which is where everyone goes for judgment, you don't just go to hell right away), I'll be the first one to admit that I was wrong and accept whatever punishment God decides to throw my way. However, I see far too much hypocrisy on earth from people who claim to be devout believers, to cater to those ideologies myself.

This is not to say that being a Christian is something everyone should be good at, because its easy. I find great joy in meeting people who identify themselves as Christian, and practice their beliefs and principles fully. However, there are far more Christians who just give their beliefs and principles lip service, in the hopes that they will get into heaven because they lead a "righteous life."

In the Bible, God is wrathful and vengeful. He smites the unbelievers, the unholy, the disloyal, the blasphemers, and every other group of people that abuse what he has given them. Hell, he even throws temptation at them in the hopes (it seems) that he'll get the opportunity to punish them (sorry, but putting the tree of knowledge in the Garden of Eden, telling Adam and Eve not to eat from it, and then making the serpent--the deceiver--its protector, is setting people up to fail). It was his "only son, Jesus Christ" who he sent to Earth to show people the way to lead a virtuous life, worthy of earning them a spot in the eternal kingdom. And yet, so many of his teachings go without practice by so many who claim, today, to be his followers. I can't recall the last time I saw a person "turn the other cheek" when something bad had occurred to them. Or when another person had "done unto others as they would have done unto themselves" while picking up some money from the ground. These examples are trivial, yes, but they are the foundation of the teachings of Jesus. Even the things we think inconsequential, we shall be judged on in his eyes.

It's not that I fear religion, or that I find it too hard to live that style of life. I simply have trouble believing the idea that this vengeful god, who had spent so many years tormenting the people he judged to be truly awful in this world, would now suddenly turn a blind eye to the people who act that way today, while forcing the truly good people, who have, practice and submit to a genuine faith in his existence and power, to suffer endlessly before their demise.

Perhaps it's his will, and is well beyond my understanding. Indeed, I would suggest that as one of the possible reasons for me to interpret what I see as I do. But a lot of what I see makes me sad, angry, and sick; especially when it comes to how people treat their religion, and then treat the people around them. I applaud anyone who can truly live the "Christian" lifestyle, in all aspects of their life. No one is perfect, and no one can be expected to live up to those standards all the time (hell, that's why Jesus was crucified). However, for all that I see, and what knowledge I have, the little faith I had as a youngster has been flushed away, and I find more comfort in believing that what time I have is the time I have, and I'll be recycled when it's over.
Old 2008-02-20, 14:21   Link #174
~Chakra-Chan~

IŽll keep it quite short: If I die, I die, thereŽs nothing more to think about

Last edited by ~Chakra-Chan~; 2008-02-20 at 15:47.
~Chakra-Chan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 14:49   Link #175
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinya View Post

I see dead people.
lol HHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I hope i can live long enough to see advance bioengineering so i can live longer
Why is immortality bad when GOD(if he exist) is immortal himself??
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 14:53   Link #176
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Well.. there's lunch. Lunch is good.

(that sounds flippant but it really isn't in a deep sense)
Old 2008-02-20, 15:13   Link #177
EXEs
Hallelujah...

You forgot kittens
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 19:51   Link #178
esfir
hepcat

i am actually terrified of dying--but a big part of that i'm sure is due to the fact that i had an experience in the past where i was afraid i was going to die (fortunately i got help in enough time), and i never really got over it.

but even though i believe (or rather, i hope) that there's something after we pass on, i think life is a beautiful and amazing gift, and it's not something i ever want to lose. that's why i also feel terribly sad when people or animals (and--it's embarrassing to admit this, but--sometimes even trees and plants) die or are killed--because they no longer have the opportunity to experience all the wonderful things that life offers.

i guess that's why i wouldn't be able to handle the idea of there not being some kind of higher power: it's almost cruel to lose something so wonderful, and then that's it--that's your last opportunity for something that special, for all eternity. and if life is something that is given arbitrarily, with no thought, and no premeditation, then you will never find a miracle more fascinating then that.

i also know i would have a hard time if someone very close to me died, because even if i hoped or knew that they were in a better place, i wouldn't be able to handle not being able to see them everyday, and not know when i would see them again. it's like having someone you love say to you, "well, i'll be leaving for 60 years, and you won't know where i've gone, what's happening to me, and you won't be able to hear from me either--all you can do is hope that i'm okay," but not feel worried or sad.

i sort of hope the afterlife is whatever i make of it--that is, i can create it to be whatever i wish for it to be. like if i want to live in a world of purple skies and blue grass and talking zebras, i can make it. and then tomorrow, if i want to live underwater and befriend a talking crab named sebastian, it will come true.
esfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 21:31   Link #179
Echoes

Any sort of afterlife sounds unfeasible to me. The very concept of a soul, of my consciousness living on, in any shape or form, isn't something I believe in. Not even a little. I just don't see that happening. That isn't to say I don't want it to be so, but I'll live my life assuming there's no second serving of tandoori waiting for me on the other side. (And therefore, eat plenty of servings in this life.)

I'm more afraid of developing some sort of terminal, progressive disease that'll slowly eat away at me than death itself. If I'm told I have incurable cancer I'd rather just end it then and there.
Old 2008-02-21, 05:17   Link #180
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

You all will know it in the last second of your lifes, but don't expect anything great.
There is nothing, just peace.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, existentialism