Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-16, 09:30   Link #21
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Makube, when is the activation time is GMT+8?
3 PM on the 17th. That's according to the Official Countdown
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 12:21   Link #22
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Alright. As of 1 AM (GMT+8), AU copy of the game can be activated.

I'm playing a bit of it as we speak. You can import completed save of Witcher 1, though I can't comment on to what effect since I never completed the first game. Game start out with a nude Triss, what a way to go.

On the technical side, one single 5850 is enough to get the game running on High by default.

Will comment more once I catch some sleep.
Old 2011-05-17, 12:44   Link #23
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Last news is great , DLCs will be free :O If only some others developers could do it too...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 13:28   Link #24
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

With that news, on top of their bold attempt in releasing DRM-free games. I hope The Witcher 2 can be a great financial success.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 14:46   Link #25
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yeah i hope too !

Anyway , an hilarious easter egg

Spoiler for Funny:
Old 2011-05-17, 22:29   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Guild wars' combat system is way better than wow's because it is more strategic and interactive. I am very confident that Guild wars 2 will set a new standard when it comes to action in the rpg scene.

The witcher's 1 combat system is somewhat lacking, but its storyline, music, pacing, graphics and atmosphere more than make it up for it. Looks like the witcher 2 has learned from its mistakes and will deliver a great combat system.
Agreeing with you about Guild Wars. It was the only MMORPG that didn't make me want to punch kittens. Anti-poopsocking indeed.

Can't wait until I get some time to really dig into a few new games this summer; The Witcher 2 is absolutely on that list!
Old 2011-05-17, 23:18   Link #27
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

From what I've noticed thus far, combating a large crowd isn't a risk worth taking this time.

And for those who have the physical copy of game on hand, is there a need to download a 28 MB patch before starting it up ? I have a nagging suspicion that the patch needed for my AU copy is what they mentioned about censoring a side quest off it.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:23   Link #28
jedinat

This game runs like crap on my PC... very disappointing; and here I'd read something about it being better optimized/running better than the first game... For a simultaneous console release I'd expected more forgiving system requirements. Instead it seems they're trying to replace Crysis as a benchmarking tool... sigh.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 01:22   Link #29
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
This game runs like crap on my PC... very disappointing; and here I'd read something about it being better optimized/running better than the first game... For a simultaneous console release I'd expected more forgiving system requirements. Instead it seems they're trying to replace Crysis as a benchmarking tool... sigh.
Actually, both Witcher 1 and it's sequeal here are PC exclusives. Nobody talks about them being ported to Console now. They did tried with Witcher 1 but scrapped everything half way through.
Old 2011-05-18, 01:32   Link #30
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Actually, both Witcher 1 and it's sequeal here are PC exclusives. Nobody talks about them being ported to Console now. They did tried with Witcher 1 but scrapped everything half way through.
Ah, you're right. I had it in my head that Witcher 2 was multi-platform because just before posting I'd searched for its board on GameFAQs and it had a PS3 and X360 board
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 03:44   Link #31
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

It seems like this game really did set the bar high for future RPGs. I haven't played it yet, due to a very slow internet connection and trying to save money by downloading the digital copy. But so far all user reviews of this game near a perfect 10!

God I hope CDprojeck doesn't sell its soul to EA, Activision or any other crappy money hungry corporation. Look what they did to the FPS market as well as the console market... hell to the game industry in general, it is not as if PC games were not greatly affected by those two monsters.

Edit: Just thought I would share one of the user reviews I found in gamespot.

Quote:
Most ambitious RPG game... since the 90's???A lot of content, the plot that bests Game of Thrones and A+ for characters
Difficulty:Hard
Time Spent:10 to 20 Hours
The Bottom Line:"Revolutionary"

Simply amazing.

The plot, attention to detail and cinematographic feel make it one of the most successful games ever.

The replay value seems to be (I am still in the I Act) awesome - it's almost as if you are missing out on whole chunks of the game so you have to come back and see the other path through.

Fighting mechanics are tactically challanging and realistic. Overall the game is tough but makes it fun to learn to be good at it. For instance - after losing a few skirmishes with multiple opponents you discover that you need to get rid of the weaker ones first, keep moving to avoid being surrounded and use signs to deal damage from distance.

There are of course some hindrances - the adult content seems to be a little over the top, as most NPC's swear in each sentence and all women are beautiful and ready , but such an ambitious project deserves an A+ for delivering on 90% of promises.

The main problem: it needs to earn big to come back strong. It's 17+, tough as nails and dark. Will it find enough audience outside hardcore, old-school gamers? Hope so. The Witcher 3 already is on my wishlist.

DA2 seems a joke compared to Assassins of Kings. A really bad one...
This I think is the best review for this game I have found so far:

Quote:
The Game of the Year.
Difficulty:Hard
Time Spent: 10 Hours or Less
The Bottom Line: "Instant classic"

The first Witcher finally made me start playing RPG's. It's a game that I am still thinking of once in a while even years after I beat it. It's a game, although with limited amount of NPC (even the enhanced version) and some minor issues, that will stand the test of time. It's a game, whose soundtrack I am still listening to. It's a game whose folklore still captivates me with its creativity and versatility.

The art direction in this game is bound to get some awards at the end of the year. It is disturbing just to look at the distant vistas that are missing from so many games. The first Witcher pulled that off on occasion. Such areas as The Lake provided you with the feeling like you were in a big world even though you were confined to an average-size area. Witcher 2 takes this to another level. Not only do you get to enjoy the distant cascading vistas that are staggered by layers and layers of the nearby and the faraway horizons, you also get to enjoy the near environments teeming with life. Yes, we have seen some impressive NPC behavior in the past but this time, the behavior of some of the NPC is near unpredictable. And don't expect them to stand around this time and have same faces.

I was able to import my last saves from the first game - which supposedly influences some of the dialogue between the characters. Some of the events are also going to be influenced, supposedly...

The long loading times when you enter a new area or even a small house are gone now. Also, if you walk inside someone's premises, you will be amazed by the attention to detail. They devs haven't missed anything on this one.

In general, Witcher 2 instantly sucks you in with its immense ambience. I cannot even begin to describe the feelings I had when I was walking through the forest for the first time. Sometimes I find myself standing still in the forest and attempting to look as far as I can and behind every tree you can see another tree and so on...I have never seen anything like it. I also love the background blur.

Do not expect this game to be easy though. It is pretty hard. The combat system takes a while to get used to. You will have to time your attacks with almost near precision. Not only that, you will have to combine your regular attacks with your special attacks to cause the maximum amount of damage. The battle system in the first game was sort of a war of attrition. You would usually be surrounded by enemies and you'd have to quickly switch in between your fighting moves to finish everyone off before you yourself died. It will probably take you a while to be able to come out of the fights near-unscathed. So at first you will most likely die and die and die.

The game however, gives you plenty of opportunity to roam around and collect herbs before you get into doing heavy quests. In most RPG's, there is no indication of how hard one or another quest is going to be. But we always assume that we will be able to complete it. This game does not let you do that.

And unlike the first game that heavily required the use of potions on the Hardest mode, this game require the use of potions on the Medium mode. This time, you really have to look for those ingredients.

The ironic thing is that even if you are able to stuff your pockets with the ingredients, you still only know the very basic alchemy at the beginning of the game. So using the temporary oils that will temporarily enhance your melee attacks is essential.

Quests. Ok, do you remember all those silly fetching quests in Dragon Age 2 that take place on the same areas over and over again? Now you can forget about all that. I cannot believe that the writers of these games still haven't run out of original ideas for the secondary quests.

I am also happy to see some of the Witcher 1 monsters coming back. Not to mention the fact that they look better and move more realistically.

Just like with the first game, there is this dichotomy present within human interactions. On one hand, you are the monster slayer, but you are not necessarily the protector of the people. So do not expect to always find sympathizers and allies within the immediate human communities. The racial tensions are still here too and there's plenty of vulgarity to go around.

The soundtrack is perfect. Does anyone remember "Peaceful Moments" from the first game? You'll hear plenty of that here.
There's also an easter egg pertaining to Assassin's Creed. See if you can find it.

Anyways, I never gave any game a "10" (most self-respecting GS users don't), but this game truly deserves it. I really cannot see much wrong with it and I've been playing it since midnight. Well, the bodies of the slain enemies do disappear for the most part and sometimes it feels like there is a 0.5 second delay with controls. Perhaps the delay was meant to give more realism in a sense that this is not a hack and slash game. Plus, you really DO have to think ahead and anticipate the movement of your foes. Plus I've noticed that these delays go away as you obtain new upgrades.

All in all, I got myself a collector's edition. If anyone can afford to get it, please get it - the devs need our support. I won't hesitate to say that this is the most beautiful game ever created.

P.S.
I can only personally hope that this game does not make it to the consoles. It is the last great PC exclusive that we are going to see for a long time.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2011-05-18 at 04:16.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 07:33   Link #32
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Yeah i hope too !

Anyway , an hilarious easter egg

Spoiler for Funny:
Lol'd so much at this part!!! They even placed a beam on the building..hilarious!
Old 2011-05-18, 09:54   Link #33
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
God I hope CDprojeck doesn't sell its soul to EA, Activision or any other crappy money hungry corporation. Look what they did to the FPS market as well as the console market... hell to the game industry in general, it is not as if PC games were not greatly affected by those two monsters.
They are their own Publisher and have established a foothold in Central Europe.

Moreover, they own GOG. So at least, they are financially sound with no fear of a takeover.

Back to the game, Foltest actually stands out from the sea of games' monarch here. He's loud, vulgar, has a mind of his own and actually fights in the frontline with his men. In short, he acts more like a Mob Boss than a royalty.

One of his lines early in the games sums it up now :-

"What the fuck do we want ?"
"Victory !"
"This I like !"
Old 2011-05-18, 12:05   Link #34
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Got mine today ! Awesome digital edition , well not much as the Collector but still ^^
Install rdy ! Good game for all
Old 2011-05-18, 12:09   Link #35
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I am surprised there isnt more discussion about TW2 on this forum compared to something like DA2. I havent gotten enough time to play the game myself but from seeing my friend play it for 20 minutes it will likely have no trouble getting game of the year unless D3 rolls out before the year ends.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 12:52   Link #36
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I am surprised there isnt more discussion about TW2 on this forum compared to something like DA2. I havent gotten enough time to play the game myself but from seeing my friend play it for 20 minutes it will likely have no trouble getting game of the year unless D3 rolls out before the year ends.
I think it is due to the fact that most of the people who post in the game forums own consoles, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I am downloading the game through steam. The game is 16gb and my download speed is 120kb max but steady. I am only at 22% =(
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 13:30   Link #37
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I think Bioware puts more effort into publicizing their products, so it's more well known. For example, I thought TW2 was being released last month...
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 14:53   Link #38
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I think it is due to the fact that most of the people who post in the game forums own consoles, but I could be wrong.
For me, I'm usually hesitant to buy the latest PC games. Especially when they're praised for their graphics, as I'm not sure my laptop can handle them.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 16:20   Link #39
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
With PC gaming, the "will it run" question is always a rough one and (not surprisingly) a reason for a significant amount of piracy. Blame Crysis for that.

With consoles driving the high-end of gaming graphics now though, pretty much any decent midrange desktop or high-end laptop GPU can handle pretty much anything out there. It won't be until the next generation of consoles that we'll seriously have to look into spending a lot on upgrades.

Most bleeding-edge PC gamers these days are making up the difference in GPU power required and GPU power available by running games in crazy high resolutions or across multiple displays. Sure, you may not need two GTX 580s in SLI, but it sure helps when you want to run a game at 5760x1200 across three displays.
Old 2011-05-18, 16:30   Link #40
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I think more that cuz Bioware is best known specially for Baldur's Gate series for old gamers , then ME series , KOTOR , DA... while CDProjekt just have TW , this is a small studio compared to Bioware.
I can say the same with Drakensang game -Dev : Radon Labs and many more small studios with interesting ovni games but only a few people hear about them.

Anyway , so on Ultra Spec with all on max , i run the game with ~15FPS , with the detection for the best parameters i have ~35FPS , good ^^ I'll desactivate the Synchro to see how much i have without it.
Edit: Well , it's still on ~35FPS without Synchro.

Last edited by -Sho-; 2011-05-18 at 19:44.