AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-09-07, 18:27   Link #2081
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...56324010663937
Kim Jong Un of North Korea proclaims “unwavering faith in President Trump.” Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!
Yep. That's his character witness. Well done.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

__________________
Kudara nai na! Sig by TheEroKing.
Calling on all Naruto fans, One Piece fans, and Shounen-fans in general... I got two words for you: One-Punch Man!
Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited by monir; 2018-09-07 at 19:43. Reason: fixed link
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-07, 18:43   Link #2082
The Green One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Whew, was worried we had a problem. Thank goodness for trustworthy character witnesses. No way good ol Kim would lie right?
__________________
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 00:47   Link #2083
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Number game:
3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000...
__________________
Kudara nai na! Sig by TheEroKing.
Calling on all Naruto fans, One Piece fans, and Shounen-fans in general... I got two words for you: One-Punch Man!
Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 03:08   Link #2084
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I don't know who Trump is trying to sway with this argument. It's dumb - maybe the newest numbers are off, but obviously they're still way more accurate than 6 or 18.

What matters is whether it was feds or locals who botched the relief efforts, and there arguments can be made either way.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 03:38   Link #2085
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I don't know who Trump is trying to sway with this argument. It's dumb - maybe the newest numbers are off, but obviously they're still way more accurate than 6 or 18.
It's two different numbers. 6 or 18 is the number of people directly killed by the hurricane. Drowned, took a tree branch to the face, whatever.

3000 is the number of people killed as a result of the hurricane. No electricity for a life support machine, for example.

Quote:
What matters is whether it was feds or locals who botched the relief efforts, and there arguments can be made either way.
Just saying, but an argument could be made the Feds didn't even try.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 11:51   Link #2086
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hokkaido
Age: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
3000 is the number of people killed as a result of the hurricane. No electricity for a life support machine, for example.
Or from falling off a roof or being the victim of spousal abuse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0af_story.html

BTW, the GWU study was commissioned by the Puerto Rican governor. Funny how Brock doesn't know that despite supposedly talking to Gov. Rossillo all the time.

Quote:
Just saying, but an argument could be made the Feds didn't even try.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...c99_story.html

Just a reminder: Puerto Rico is a US territory whose residents are US citizens.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 16:18   Link #2087
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...c99_story.html

Just a reminder: Puerto Rico is a US territory whose residents are US citizens.
After reading the article, help me understand one thing: The army is not willing / not able to send in more manpower because Puerto Rico allegedly didn't ask for it officially. The army and by extension the government is seeing disaster strike their own country and holds back large parts of potential relief efforts because of some bureaucratic hurdles? Are you actually serious?
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 17:21   Link #2088
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
State governments have the power to keep Federal support out or not ask for help to prevent potential federal take over of said state governments. The US Consritution is specific in that if that document or its amendments does not give the Federal government a power, that power rests with the States (Tenth Amendment).

Puerto Rico is the territory that is nearly a state, but doesn't get all the benefits of statehood, but has most of the negatives. It should have become a state via its population size alone a generation ago.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-18, 08:41   Link #2089
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
But Puerto Rico didn't keep support out and did ask for help. So what is the problem here?

Also I'm aware Americans love their holy scripture more than having three meals a day but when there are people dying and you have the ability to save them, perhaps it's time to turn a blind eye.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-20, 15:48   Link #2090
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Not here
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, the whole "muh state rights" idea was the concept that local and state governments would be closer to their people's needs as well as a fear of centralized power. Of course this breaks down when it doesn't work

In practice though, it's mostly used as a talking point by conservatives and usually we've had many instances of "State's Rights" being used to justify slavery, racism, and other things because local oppression is not as bad as national oppression or something.

So it should bring no surprise that it's an excuse to not care about places struck by disasters, because hey, it's not the rich people. And consider the ethnonationalist rhetoric that's popular lately, and you can see what's going on.
__________________
Let us start here from Square one. No... from zero!
You do not wish to know anything. You wish only to speak.
That which you know, you ignore, because it is inconvenient.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-20, 18:58   Link #2091
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Puerto Rico s not going to be a proper state anytime soon because it leans considerably "left" and that means more left wing Senators and House reps.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-20, 20:09   Link #2092
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
As I said, it should have become a state a while ago. Like around 1999 after it been part of the United States for 100 years.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 00:53   Link #2093
Toukairin
Mountain Rescuer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: A city with a small mountain in the middle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Puerto Rico s not going to be a proper state anytime soon because it leans considerably "left" and that means more left wing Senators and House reps.
And what kind of majority that the Democrats need to have to make that happen? After everything that happened with Hurricane Maria and the dumpster fire that Trump allowed to happen, I really want Puerto Rico to receive statehood as a massive middle finger to all racists in America.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 20:11   Link #2094
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hokkaido
Age: 68
An Act of Congress signed into law by the President.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Admission_Act
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 11:22   Link #2095
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Tiger:
Tiger is playing great. Looks like a big win could happen. Very exciting! @TigerWoods
Congrats to Tiger! Nice to see him win again. Golf isn't the same without him in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
An Act of Congress signed into law by the President.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Admission_Act
__________________
Kudara nai na! Sig by TheEroKing.
Calling on all Naruto fans, One Piece fans, and Shounen-fans in general... I got two words for you: One-Punch Man!
Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 16:44   Link #2096
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
So what you guys think about the 3rd rape accusation against Trump's Supreme Court pick? I mean, we all know that he will get appointed anyway even if he eats a baby on TV during the hearing. No way the reps gonna say no to a chance like that. Not so close to midterms. But still there is a slight chance he might not get it. What would happen then? Who would be the next pick and how quickly could that hearing happen?
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 09:40   Link #2097
The Green One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Yep, Pubs wants to dominate the Supreme Court and have their word be law there.

(To be fair, so do the Dems.)

So yeah I have a hard time seeing this sink the nomination. Dems don't even care about the accusation either, they're just desperate for anything to stop the nomination before midterms. The fact that they held onto it this long is just proof of it.
__________________
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 15:01   Link #2098
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hokkaido
Age: 68
Here's the reason why the Republicans want to end this as soon as possible and not request an FBI investigation.



This covers the period from 1790 to 1984 or so. I doubt the dynamics are any different today.

From: https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/18152
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 15:09   Link #2099
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
How many days are we in? And who in their right mind would ever end a hearing after less than 7 days to put somebody into the highest court imaginable? Shouldn't that be much stronger and tougher through-out checkings?
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 07:18   Link #2100
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hokkaido
Age: 68
Things moved faster in the earlier days of the Republic.

If you're curious, you can browse this list of nominees:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

Also the Court played a much different role in the 19th century than it does today. The Justices were more akin to ordinary judges than arbiters of the Constitution. There was nothing like the scrutiny Court appointments face today.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.