3 out of 10 : Bad 4 0.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-21, 14:58   Link #161
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droplet View Post
Happy endings are always lovely and are always welcome to me them when they come. But for Code Geass, the tragic ending really fits its theme whereas a happy ending wouldn't have made as well of an impact, at least for me. ^^
I prefer endings that stay true to the series as a whole. If a series is happy, than the ending should be happy, if a series is depressing than the ending should be depressing.

Code Geass is a depressing series, an ending where Lelouch gets off scott free would be horrible, Lelouch's death is atonement for all the people he killed, and whose lives where ruined by geass, his not supposed to be Jesus Christ, his a heavily flawed person who wants to do good, but does it in such a horrible way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
My own personal take on the ending is that Lelouch's penance for his crimes was not his death, he knew that would be too easy of a way out, but he still put on a show of it via the "Zero Requiem" because he knew that would work well enough in the eyes of the masses. In actuallity though he survived by taking over CC's role as an Immortal before the events of the Zero Requiem and so he is now forced to endure eternity like CC did. CC's wish to be able to die is now fulfilled but she will likely stay by Lelouch's side in peace for the rest of her days along with Orange and Anya.
The interview from Oukochi states that Lelouch wanted to sacrifice his tomorrow for the sake of everyone else's tomorrow. Also C.C having learned to be human again can now live her life to the fullest without being alone anymore. In other words Lelouch was expecting to die.

If you rewatch the episode, its clear that both Lelouch, and C.C are expecting Lelouch to die, C.C is crying, while Lelouch has his life flash before his eyes, the only way Lelouch lived was if Charles gave him the code, and the question is why would he.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 02:07   Link #162
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatch View Post
It was a very sad and touchign ending, but I disagree that it had to end that way. I mean........ What about Lelouch's love life!? he can't be in a relationship if he's dead! LOVE CONQUERS ALL!
Not in Code Geass.

I'll say it again: Though it was unexpected, I think that Lelouch's death was really the only possible ending that would fit the series. If he got away with all the bad things he did unopposed, it would be ridiculous.
Old 2008-10-22, 02:09   Link #163
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Not in Code Geass.

I'll say it again: Though it was unexpected, I think that Lelouch's death was really the only possible ending that would fit the series. If he got away with all the bad things he did unopposed, it would be ridiculous.
That, and people would be able to get away with terrible MC Hammer jokes, in which Lelouch would say that you "Can't touch this."
Old 2008-10-22, 19:15   Link #164
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Outstanding animation quality, amazing script, voice acting just superb, nice plot line. What's not to love? Well I was laughing at the "Yes, my lord," "Yes Your highness" and other English lines and how they were pronounced but otherwise 10

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 20:05   Link #165
Charred Knight

Quote:
Not in Code Geass.

I just think people want to see Lelouch get away with things, presumably because his the main character and they have gotten emotionally invested in him.
Old 2008-10-22, 22:17   Link #166
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
I just think people want to see Lelouch get away with things, presumably because his the main character and they have gotten emotionally invested in him.
Imo lelouch was code geass, I would have loved to see him still live, but seeing how the ending was going I would rather him be dead then him as the evil dude that everyone hated.

Still if there was more to come of Code geass, It really doesn't seem like it would go to well without lelouch. I will still go with the thought of him comeing back immortal after he dies, don't care what Anyone else says.
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 23:02   Link #167
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus1321 View Post
Imo lelouch was code geass, I would have loved to see him still live, but seeing how the ending was going I would rather him be dead then him as the evil dude that everyone hated.

Still if there was more to come of Code geass, It really doesn't seem like it would go to well without lelouch. I will still go with the thought of him comeing back immortal after he dies, don't care what Anyone else says.
Than what did Lelouch sacrifice? The interview stated that Lelouch did what he did to atone for the sins he commited. If Lelouch survived than he got away scott free while Suzaku and Nunnaly are forced to support the world.

If Lelouch survived than his a massive asshole.

If Code Geass sucks so much that the entire series is only good if one character is around than Code Geass doesn't deserve a sequel. A Code Geass sequel starring Lelouch would be Gundam Seed Destiny all over again, with Lelouch taking the place of both Kira and Lacus.
Old 2008-10-22, 23:39   Link #168
Shadowcatch
Romantic Sucker

Quote:
Not in Code Geass.

hehe yeah I know, just jokin there. His death was the only way out. We all know that. If he didn't die the entire Zero Requiem would lose its meaning.
Shadowcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 09:32   Link #169
Icehawk

Quote:
The interview from Oukochi states that Lelouch wanted to sacrifice his tomorrow for the sake of everyone else's tomorrow. Also C.C having learned to be human again can now live her life to the fullest without being alone anymore. In other words Lelouch was expecting to die.

If you rewatch the episode, its clear that both Lelouch, and C.C are expecting Lelouch to die, C.C is crying, while Lelouch has his life flash before his eyes, the only way Lelouch lived was if Charles gave him the code, and the question is why would he.

I have not read that interview, but if its worded that way, it still fits fine with my own view of the ending. "Sacrificing" ones tomorrow does not necessarily have to equal *literally* sacrificing ones life. While CC may no longer be as consumed with the desire to die, I doubt she wanted to just continue as things were. I just see it as more logical and fitting for all if Lelouch takes up the role as the cursed imortal, forced into solitude and CC is now free having given the immortality to Lelouch just as VV gave it to Charles.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 09:57   Link #170
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Why can't you guys think of a reason for Charles to give Lelouch the code? For one, it could've been revenge. Immortality is a bane, not a blessing. It's not an 'easy way out'. It's getting locked in and not being able to go out. What's so fun about immortality after the world ends? It'd suck to be just floating in space waiting to be picked up by an alien space ship. The possibilities are either they float in space for eternity, or something that involves being rescued by aliens.

I love the ending and would like to Lelouch's life end right then and there. But after considering whatever Charles did by rocketing towards Lelouch and holding his neck by his hand that had the Code, all I can think of is that he wanted to pass the code.

But here's the kicker: It's also possible that Lelouch didn't allow Charles to transfer his immortality when he said "Begone!".
Droplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 10:15   Link #171
Icehawk

Why are you assuming it has to be Charles that gives it to him? VV passed his immortality to Charles, CC passes hers to Lelouch, that simple.

What I gathered from Code Geass is that, in order to fulfill the Geass contract with an immortal, you must be able to properly gain mastery of the Geass power they give you and also be able to grant whatever wish the immortal included as part of the contract. If you can do both these things, the immortal can be set free and pass their immortality onto you. Once the immortality is passed onto you, the Geass they gave you is taken away but you are now able to grant Geass to other people and are immune to its effects.

Last edited by Icehawk; 2008-10-23 at 11:14.
Old 2008-10-23, 10:37   Link #172
PatriciaLamperouge
In Nabari no Ou mode^^

Anaimation: 9.5. Although the proportion of the ppl r weird (they're 2 tall, juz as espected w/ Clamp as the chara designer)but since I luv their face so much (also as expected w/ Clamp as the chara designer^.^), so it covered. I think it's really a good idea Clamp teamed up w/ other, which Clamp design the chara & the other write the story, since I luv Clamp's drawings but I don't really like their story. Well, so I think Code Geass is a perfect combination^^

Voice acting: 9.5. The voice actor really suits the chara. But I don't really like Llyod's voice-_-

Scripting:9.8. This is the best anime storyline among all the anime I've been watched so far. It's really unpredictable, & the story makes every occasions seems inevitable, the plot seems 2 be going naturally. & it has various genres, so sometimes it made me laugh, sometimes it made me cry, sometimes it made me anxious, & various other feelings. I luv anime tht can play w/ my feelings :3 I juz can't give it a 10 cz sometimes I think Lelouch's act is a bit out of his original motivation...But I really admire Lelouch's strategy, he's juz so....BRILLIANT.

Editing: 10. I didn't c any problem

Overall, I must say, this is the BEST anime among ALL the anime I've seen so far!!!! I really miss this anime now when I watch another anime nowT_T
PatriciaLamperouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 10:54   Link #173
PatriciaLamperouge
In Nabari no Ou mode^^

Quote:
Why can't you guys think of a reason for Charles to give Lelouch the code? For one, it could've been revenge. Immortality is a bane, not a blessing. It's not an 'easy way out'. It's getting locked in and not being able to go out. What's so fun about immortality after the world ends? It'd suck to be just floating in space waiting to be picked up by an alien space ship. The possibilities are either they float in space for eternity, or something that involves being rescued by aliens.

I love the ending and would like to Lelouch's life end right then and there. But after considering whatever Charles did by rocketing towards Lelouch and holding his neck by his hand that had the Code, all I can think of is that he wanted to pass the code.

But here's the kicker: It's also possible that Lelouch didn't allow Charles to transfer his immortality when he said "Begone!".
I also think tht immortality is not good, so if in the end Lelouch is still alive bcoz he has bcome immortal, I think that IS the SAD ending. Like what C.C said b4, "life bcome precious bcoz it has an end." I think the ending is better juz as wht I thought it is, tht Lelouch is DEAD, sacrificing himself 2 reach his goal: make a peaceful world 4 Nunnaly & his frenz. Although I cry in the end, but I think it is the best ending. Since although Lelouch's goal is actually 'nice' but in the way 2 reach it he has caused many innocent ppl died, so I think he also deserves punishment.

But truly it is weird the way C.C talk in the end, it seems like she's talking 2 Lelouch. I think Sunrise make the ending 'unclear' like that 2 make us keep guessing & choose our most fav ending by each of ourselves. Well, I've choose mine...But I do hope Sunrise will tell us someday how the ending actually is. (though I doubt they will tell us)
PatriciaLamperouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 11:23   Link #174
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaLamperouge View Post
I also think tht immortality is not good, so if in the end Lelouch is still alive bcoz he has bcome immortal, I think that IS the SAD ending. Like what C.C said b4, "life bcome precious bcoz it has an end." I think the ending is better juz as wht I thought it is, tht Lelouch is DEAD, sacrificing himself 2 reach his goal: make a peaceful world 4 Nunnaly & his frenz. Although I cry in the end, but I think it is the best ending. Since although Lelouch's goal is actually 'nice' but in the way 2 reach it he has caused many innocent ppl died, so I think he also deserves punishment.

But truly it is weird the way C.C talk in the end, it seems like she's talking 2 Lelouch. I think Sunrise make the ending 'unclear' like that 2 make us keep guessing & choose our most fav ending by each of ourselves. Well, I've choose mine...But I do hope Sunrise will tell us someday how the ending actually is. (though I doubt they will tell us)
Sunrise did tell us an ending. But it came in the most anticlimatic (i.e. worst) way possible: Through Okuchi's words in a magazine.

What was so hard about animating a funeral scene? Where all the other characters weep for Lelouch, especially Kallen and Nunnally.

Personally, I loved the ending but I was a tad disappointed that they didn't put the icing on the cake. They wanted a sad ending right? Why didn't they make it sad all the way instead of that ambiguous epilogue.

They missed a critical chance to make me bawl completely. For shame Sunrise.

IMO, something like this + a funeral scene would make Code Geass' ending one of the most perfect endings that was ever made.
Old 2008-10-23, 11:49   Link #175
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Sunrise did tell us an ending. But it came in the most anticlimatic (i.e. worst) way possible: Through Okuchi's words in a magazine.

What was so hard about animating a funeral scene? Where all the other characters weep for Lelouch, especially Kallen and Nunnally.

Personally, I loved the ending but I was a tad disappointed that they didn't put the icing on the cake. They wanted a sad ending right? Why didn't they make it sad all the way instead of that ambiguous epilogue.

They missed a critical chance to make me bawl completely. For shame Sunrise.

IMO, something like this + a funeral scene would make Code Geass' ending one of the most perfect endings that was ever made.
how do you have that when the guy is (intentionly) know to be the greatest monster in history
Old 2008-10-23, 12:00   Link #176
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
how do you have that when the guy is (intentionly) know to be the greatest monster in history
He may have been intentionally a horrible person that killed multitudes of innocents but there are no double standards when it comes to whom should be allowed a funeral.

The fact that no one knows the truth would make it more tragic, where the world is rejoicing during his funeral for the demon has been slain and now being offered for all the deaths that happened during his wake.
Old 2008-10-23, 13:59   Link #177
Charred Knight

Quote:
I have not read that interview, but if its worded that way, it still fits fine with my own view of the ending. "Sacrificing" ones tomorrow does not necessarily have to equal *literally* sacrificing ones life. While CC may no longer be as consumed with the desire to die, I doubt she wanted to just continue as things were. I just see it as more logical and fitting for all if Lelouch takes up the role as the cursed imortal, forced into solitude and CC is now free having given the immortality to Lelouch just as VV gave it to Charles.
Sacrificing one's tomorrow in this case means sacrificing ones life. So that people could have a tomorrow Lelouch sacrificed his tomorrow which means for people to live (stop the war without anyone getting angry and commiting genocide), Lelouch had to die to accomplish that.

Lelouch wanted to die so that he could atone for killing, and ruining people's lives with geass. The interview makes that perfectly clear

Quote:
Why are you assuming it has to be Charles that gives it to him? VV passed his immortality to Charles, CC passes hers to Lelouch, that simple.

What I gathered from Code Geass is that, in order to fulfill the Geass contract with an immortal, you must be able to properly gain mastery of the Geass power they give you and also be able to grant whatever wish the immortal included as part of the contract. If you can do both these things, the immortal can be set free and pass their immortality onto you. Once the immortality is passed onto you, the Geass they gave you is taken away but you are now able to grant Geass to other people and are immune to its effects.
It's made perfectly clear that Lelouch was expecting to die, and C.C was expecting him to die. Lelouch's life flashed before his eyes, and C.C was crying because she cared about Lelouch. If C.C had given him immortality C.C wouldn't be crying, and Lelouch wouldn't have his life flash before his eyes.

The only person who could have given Lelouch the code is Charles.
Quote:

The problem is that no one considers that a bane, they want Charles to give Lelouch his code so Lelouch can survive and get away scot free and be with C.C.

I have yet to see a single person give me one artistic reason for Lelouch being alive, its all shipping reasons.
Old 2008-10-23, 19:47   Link #178
Icehawk

Quote:
Sacrificing one's tomorrow in this case means sacrificing ones life. So that people could have a tomorrow Lelouch sacrificed his tomorrow which means for people to live (stop the war without anyone getting angry and commiting genocide), Lelouch had to die to accomplish that.

Lelouch wanted to die so that he could atone for killing, and ruining people's lives with geass. The interview makes that perfectly clear
To the rest of the world and all who would care, he IS dead. Lelouch would be escaping his contract with CC by dying. Simply dying in my view, is far too easy an escape for Lelouch.

Quote:
It's made perfectly clear that Lelouch was expecting to die, and C.C was expecting him to die. Lelouch's life flashed before his eyes, and C.C was crying because she cared about Lelouch. If C.C had given him immortality C.C wouldn't be crying, and Lelouch wouldn't have his life flash before his eyes.
In the anime it is most certainly NOT made "perfectly clear" that he is dead, CC crying means jack all when you factor in every angle to this, for example, she is crying for Lelouch because she knows the burden he is going to have to go through as a cursed immortal just as she had to did while she gets to be free. This also counts for the "flashbacks" as well, he is giving up everything he attained in his hard fought and incredible life up to that point. The fact he is willing to publically sacrifice himself and force himself into isolation as WELL as have to live forever is FAR more tragic then simply dying.

Quote:
The only person who could have given Lelouch the code is Charles.
Again, where the fuck are you getting this idea from?? I challenge you to find even one single passage of text from an episode which backs up this absurd and thus far completely unsupported assertion.

Quote:
The problem is that no one considers that a bane, they want Charles to give Lelouch his code so Lelouch can survive and get away scot free and be with C.C.
Provide evidence that ONLY Charles can grant immortality. Everything we have seen shows that immortals themselves pass on the immortality when their contract is fullfilled. The immortal nun caretaker that helped CC in the middle ages passed it on to her, VV passed his onto Charles, CC thus can in all likelyhood pass hers onto Lelouch.

Quote:
I have yet to see a single person give me one artistic reason for Lelouch being alive, its all shipping reasons.
If you cannot appreciate the magnitude of ("artistic" if you want to call it), tragedy of a person who is giving up everything they have gained and fought for in order to suffer a, in this case, *litteral* ETERNITY of relative solitude and isolation speaks volumes of the shallowness of your views. CC will only be with him untill she dies a natural death or is killed in some way and I think that is perfectly acceptable given that despite the attrocities he committed, he also did alot of good as well and he will have to suffer through her aging and dying and never being able to speak with any of his remaining friends or family ever again. Lelouch could also eventually have to suffer through the emotional torcher of providing a contract and granting a Geass onto some other young idealistic or disturbed fool and meeting failure like CC did with Mao.
Old 2008-10-24, 00:43   Link #179
Sol Falling

Quote:
To the rest of the world and all who would care, he IS dead. Lelouch would be escaping his contract with CC by dying. Simply dying in my view, is far too easy an escape for Lelouch.

In the anime it is most certainly NOT made "perfectly clear" that he is dead, CC crying means jack all when you factor in every angle to this, for example, she is crying for Lelouch because she knows the burden he is going to have to go through as a cursed immortal just as she had to did while she gets to be free. This also counts for the "flashbacks" as well, he is giving up everything he attained in his hard fought and incredible life up to that point. The fact he is willing to publically sacrifice himself and force himself into isolation as WELL as have to live forever is FAR more tragic then simply dying.

Again, where the fuck are you getting this idea from?? I challenge you to find even one single passage of text from an episode which backs up this absurd and thus far completely unsupported assertion.

Provide evidence that ONLY Charles can grant immortality. Everything we have seen shows that immortals themselves pass on the immortality when their contract is fullfilled. The immortal nun caretaker that helped CC in the middle ages passed it on to her, VV passed his onto Charles, CC thus can in all likelyhood pass hers onto Lelouch.

If you cannot appreciate the magnitude of ("artistic" if you want to call it), tragedy of a person who is giving up everything they have gained and fought for in order to suffer a, in this case, *litteral* ETERNITY of relative solitude and isolation speaks volumes of the shallowness of your views. CC will only be with him untill she dies a natural death or is killed in some way and I think that is perfectly acceptable given that despite the attrocities he committed, he also did alot of good as well and he will have to suffer through her aging and dying and never being able to speak with any of his remaining friends or family ever again. Lelouch could also eventually have to suffer through the emotional torcher of providing a contract and granting a Geass onto some other young idealistic or disturbed fool and meeting failure like CC did with Mao.
C.C. can't have given Lelouch her Code because she'd have lost her memories. This is pretty much explicitly stated within the show with V.V. losing his memories when he loses his Code, C.C. losing her memories when her Code is sealed, and C.C. regaining her memories when her Code is unsealed. There's your proof.

As for Lelouch being immortal being more tragic, you're right. You know what else it'd be? Useless! See, Lelouch only actively pursued a plan that was against his self-interests because it would accomplish something: that is, world peace. Without such an equivalent for living on in atonement, why the hell would he do it? First of all, Lelouch already achieved world peace. Secondly, he'd already stopped all the diabolical conspiracies to 'force' the world to some otherwise good end: 'forced truth', 'forced peace'. He even removed all the social institutions and hierarchies which allowed unsavory people use force for bad ends (aristocracy, colonialism, capitalistic monopoly, dictatorship, etc.). Third, any further attempts by Lelouch to perpetuate the world he created could be seen as him merely enforcing his will upon the world, making him no better than his father or brother. All in all, the only way you theory could work here is if Lelouch was a masochist like Suzaku, and although those two have switched places for many things, I'm pretty sure that isn't one of them.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 04:13   Link #180
ZeroSama
All Hail Lelouch!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
C.C. can't have given Lelouch her Code because she'd have lost her memories. This is pretty much explicitly stated within the show with V.V. losing his memories when he loses his Code, C.C. losing her memories when her Code is sealed, and C.C. regaining her memories when her Code is unsealed. There's your proof.

What about the nun then? She gave C.C. a geass for the simple purpose of passing on her Code to C.C. and ending her life. Which she did. Now look at the scene in which C.C. is sprawled against the alter with blood everywhere and contrast that to the nun who is lying peacefully on ther ground with her hands clasped as if praying.

C.C. cannot have put her in this position because:

1.Theirs no trail of blood between the two of them.
2.It fucking illogical for C.C. who is clearly in agony to walk to the nuns body, put her into that postion and crawl back and slump against the altar again.

In the end the only reason i can think of that the nun was in such a peaceful state is because she retained her memories and died peacefully since she had fulfilled her wish which was to lose immortality and be given the opportunity to die. If this wasn't true and she had lost all her memories since she gained geass/code/whatever she would at the very least be very troubled at how she got there, why their was a young girl in front of her covered in blood and why she had blood on her own hands. Not the sort of things conducive to a peaceful death.

This pretty much punches a hole in the theory that when you lose your memories when you lose your code.

Either that or Taniguchi and Okuchi messed up their consistency.
ZeroSama is offline   Reply With Quote