AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-04-27, 17:51   Link #41
Zefyris
図書館狼
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
Complete at 33, or still ongoing?
It will be complete at 33 (the wn version is complete so author knows how many volumes it will take to finish it LN side).
Right now it's still ongoing, like the answer above mine states, we're at 29.
There's indeed also 3 side story volumes but I wasn't counting them, since they're not directly part of the main story flow.
So WN is at 33/33; Japanese LN is at 29/33 (publishing one new vol every 4 months, next is in August), and then english LN translation is around vol 19 I believe. And Anime is half way through vol 6.
__________________
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-27, 20:04   Link #42
Strahan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
That's official Crunchyroll Sub.
They also use "Head Priest" for Fredinand & "High Priest" for the old guy.
Interesting, because Crunchyroll's description of the show reads:

When she woke up, she was in a parallel world...

Avid bookworm and college student Motosu Urano ends up dying in an unforeseen accident. This came right after the news that she would finally be able to work as a librarian like she had always dreamed of.

When she regained consciousness, she was reborn as Myne, the daughter of a poor soldier. She was in the town of Ehrenfest, a town that existed in a parallel world and had a harsh class system where the magic-wielding nobles ruled supreme. But Myne doesn't really let that get to her. After all, as long as she had books, she didn't really need anything else.


The official published novels also have her as Myne. So regardless of whoever out out the "Main" subs, they're wrong and I'll happily fix it on my copies lol

PS I was curious if there was an official source, so I went to the .jp site and clicked around. I eventually found character badges and the names are romanized, and it uses the y spelling there as well.

Last edited by Strahan; 2022-04-27 at 20:33.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-28, 00:13   Link #43
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
The official published novels also have her as Myne. So regardless of whoever out out the "Main" subs, they're wrong and I'll happily fix it on my copies lol

PS I was curious if there was an official source, so I went to the .jp site and clicked around. I eventually found character badges and the names are romanized, and it uses the y spelling there as well.
But if you translate the Ehrenfest characters, it's Main.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-28, 02:19   Link #44
Huh...?
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: India
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But if you translate the Ehrenfest characters, it's Main.
Be it Ehrenfest characters or Japanese Katakana, the reading would be "Main".

But the issue is, "Main" is a really uncommon name in English and can easily be misunderstood for the more common usage of the word as main (both are pronounced differently as well).

Which is why, both the Light Novel & Manga official translation went for "Myne" which sounds and is pronounced similar to the Japanese Katakana pronunciation.

On the other hand, while Crunchyroll translation isn't wrong in the literal sense here, nor creates much issue (as Anime is more dialogue based, compared to Light Novel or Manga which is text based). But still, the inconsistency does cause confusion.
__________________
Position on Fandom/Wikia:

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-28, 03:40   Link #45
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Sound like bad choice anyway. After all while uncommon Main is still English name, Myne is not (and I don't think there was any other precedents of Philippino/Arabic names in story)
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-02, 17:02   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 35
A rare action packed episode this week. Nobles are starting to make moves on Myne, little doubt the kidnappers were sent by that guy who wanted them to spend the night at his house.

Sylvester seemed like a dick at first but it seems like he isn't a bad guy.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-02, 20:44   Link #47
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Well the new guy really knows how to make an entrance and he quick to think on his feet keeping Myne somewhat safe
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-02, 21:04   Link #48
Decel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Story starting to get complicated. Hope it doesn't fall into convoluted territory.
__________________
2006- The year of the invasion of the Suzumiya Haruhi avatars and signature logos
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-02, 23:16   Link #49
Strahan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Good episode. I had to chuckle at Ferdinand's idea with the cloak to conceal Myne. Being that Gerlach is tight with the high priest, he obviously knows Myne is participating so what other likely child priestess would it be showing up with Ferdinand? heh.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-03, 00:17   Link #50
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Sound like bad choice anyway. After all while uncommon Main is still English name, Myne is not (and I don't think there was any other precedents of Philippino/Arabic names in story)
I mean... all the gods have obviously German names (even if horrifically wrongly pronounced).
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-03, 08:02   Link #51
Zefyris
図書館狼
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Sound like bad choice anyway. After all while uncommon Main is still English name, Myne is not (and I don't think there was any other precedents of Philippino/Arabic names in story)
I'm always amazed by that logic, and by that I mean, by the logic used by both side. Whenever someone from a different country has a spelling for his name that isn't pronounced the way it would be pronounced in your language, do you ask him to change his spelling because his spelling don't make sense? Of course not right ? And in reverse, you don't impose a different name spelling just because "nah, it's used that way in my country but you're not from my country, so you should have a different spelling".

This story is written by a Japanese Author, in Japanese, and the direct romanisation of her name is "Main". Just for that Main will always be a perfectly fine way to spell it with Roman letters. Now, it is also perfectly fine for translators to make a different choice for spelling, and therefore perfectly fine for readers/viewers to use that different choice. So Myne is fine too because it was not only officially chosen, but approved by the author herself.

In verse, most of the names are based after German names and words. I don't know if Main or Myne exist in German, if it does I've never heard of it. But anyway, English should not be the reference to decide.
So let peoples and translator use whichever they feel like using, as long as everyone understand who we're talking about, it's fine.


So tl;dr? both are fine AND correct, there's no need to make a fuss about it. The only thing that is set in stone, is the pronunciation.
__________________
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-03, 10:01   Link #52
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
In verse, most of the names are based after German names and words. I don't know if Main or Myne exist in German, if it does I've never heard of it.
That's a definite no, it's not a common nor even uncommon name for a person, in either version. Main is actually a name of a mayor river in Germany, though. There's a city named Mainz.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-03, 10:28   Link #53
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
I had to chuckle at Ferdinand's idea with the cloak to conceal Myne. Being that Gerlach is tight with the high priest, he obviously knows Myne is participating so what other likely child priestess would it be showing up with Ferdinand? heh.
I thought that too, but then also remembered that she goes into town on a regular basis, dressed as a commoner. If she hides her face, then at least Gerlach wouldn't be able to spot her on the street.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-03, 10:32   Link #54
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I thought that too, but then also remembered that she goes into town on a regular basis, dressed as a commoner. If she hides her face, then at least Gerlach wouldn't be able to spot her on the street.
I don't think Gerlach would be caught dead in the lower city, but maybe Ferdinand feared Gerlach or one of his flunkies could draw a likeness to help investigating her?

BTW, in the LN, it wasn't cloak, but a veil, which we're told isn't an unknown fashion among noble women. She couldn't even see farther than her feet, though.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-04, 12:42   Link #55
Zefyris
図書館狼
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think Gerlach would be caught dead in the lower city, but maybe Ferdinand feared Gerlach or one of his flunkies could draw a likeness to help investigating her?

BTW, in the LN, it wasn't cloak, but a veil, which we're told isn't an unknown fashion among noble women. She couldn't even see farther than her feet, though.
Gerlach was literally in the commoner part of Erhenfest at the end of episode 1 (right before the ending song).

And it's definitely to avoid having a troublesome noble to know Myne's exact face.
__________________
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-04, 14:36   Link #56
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
I'm always amazed by that logic, and by that I mean, by the logic used by both side. Whenever someone from a different country has a spelling for his name that isn't pronounced the way it would be pronounced in your language, do you ask him to change his spelling because his spelling don't make sense? Of course not right ? And in reverse, you don't impose a different name spelling just because "nah, it's used that way in my country but you're not from my country, so you should have a different spelling".

This story is written by a Japanese Author, in Japanese, and the direct romanisation of her name is "Main". Just for that Main will always be a perfectly fine way to spell it with Roman letters. Now, it is also perfectly fine for translators to make a different choice for spelling, and therefore perfectly fine for readers/viewers to use that different choice. So Myne is fine too because it was not only officially chosen, but approved by the author herself.

In verse, most of the names are based after German names and words. I don't know if Main or Myne exist in German, if it does I've never heard of it. But anyway, English should not be the reference to decide.
So let peoples and translator use whichever they feel like using, as long as everyone understand who we're talking about, it's fine.


So tl;dr? both are fine AND correct, there's no need to make a fuss about it. The only thing that is set in stone, is the pronunciation.
-What my language have to do with this? In first my language doesn't have Maino nor any of it's derivates. Thus I am genuinely confused what point are you trying to make.

-Story is written by author who very likely doesn't speak any other language all that well. It's eactly cases like this that leads to official english "shamefur dispray" or "Regend of Samurai". Translators and localisators are there to prevent such mistakes and help author get across what he wants get across even if there is language barrier

-That said you are right on this one. It's german not english, thus offical spelling should be Mein or Meino not Main as I originaly said. I almost made same mistake as author. Thank you for correcting me. (But it is stii not Myne).
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-04, 15:11   Link #57
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
Gerlach was literally in the commoner part of Erhenfest at the end of episode 1 (right before the ending song).
I'd assumed Gerlach'd just summoned Wolf to him, but even so. I don't see him staking out in the lower city.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-04, 19:52   Link #58
Strahan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
(But it is stii not Myne).
Kazuki Miya uses Myne, that's good enough for me
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-04, 22:21   Link #59
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I am happy for you. I am not making argument what people should be fine with, but how it should be translated though.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-04, 22:51   Link #60
Strahan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Point being was that if the creator of the world and character already has established the standard, it just seems that peoples' opinions on how it should be are moot. I mean, sure, people can do what they want. I do that with GIF files, lol. In the same vein as Myne the authority on the matter, Steve Wilhite, has already established it is pronounced with a soft G however I still use hard G to this day. I didn't learn the proper pronunciation until a decade ago, and I've been using hard G since the MS-DOS days so I'm too set in my ways (and also because "jif" sounds stupid) hehe. I just know that my opinion is irrelevant as Steve already laid it out. I just accept that I sound silly to people who know

In a similar vein with Evangelion. I hear sooooooooo many people pronounce Evangelion with a soft G when it's supposed to be a hard G. It does sound better with a soft G, but that's not what it's meant to be.

Last edited by Strahan; 2022-05-04 at 23:15.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.