AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-04, 16:16   Link #41
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Spoiler:
Uh.... that's a... pretty major spoiler and its... significantly less funny than you're imagining considering what caused all of this was something stupid in the beginning. The Tv Tropes page or even the LN thread on this forum go into it
Old 2022-04-04, 16:57   Link #42
maximilianjenus
[E]

the thing about the setting is that, the company that made the game just made male aimed games before, so this is their first otome game. Soz what they did was a mix of inverting the genders of their other games and use some shallow knowledge of otome games.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-04, 17:36   Link #43
HandofFate

I think the first episode portrayed really well how much of a trash game the otome game actually is. Laughed when it suddenly showed mechs and srpg elements in an otome game. I have played some VNs with badly tacked on game elements, so I know the feeling.

I don't see how his complaints about the world and women are misogynist at all, he's right lol. Importing a game's societal logic that's made to cater to a female demographic into real life ends up turning all sorts of nonsense.

Its be like importing a male fantasy targeted harem VN into real life, and a female being isekai'd into it and complaining why everyone acts like this ect and calling her a misandrist.

I do hate his sister from the few minutes we seen of her.
Old 2022-04-04, 21:49   Link #44
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
To me its more the overall setting; its hard to tell if the author is trying to be satirical or if he's just an incel with lines like "nobody wants a man over 20!"
This is about flipping this male/female dynamic. A 20-year-old woman would be considered an old maid during medieval times.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-04, 22:20   Link #45
Tenzen12

Not really. 20 was barely past average.
Old 2022-04-04, 22:21   Link #46
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
This is about flipping this male/female dynamic. A 20-year-old woman would be considered an old maid during medieval times.
There's no point in flipping the male/female dynamic to begin with other than shitposting, which is why it kinda seems like an incel writing it. Its not really representative of otome games and just gives Leon something to bitch about. The whole setting is a shitpost so I generally let it slide but its still a bit questionable to me. Genderswapped Rance or something would have been more interesting...

That aside though I'm not sure what part of powered suits and airships make you think "medieval". It looks like your average RPG world from Final Fantasy or Kiseki or something.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-04, 23:24   Link #47
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
The Tv Tropes page or even the LN thread on this forum go into it
Spoiler:
Old 2022-04-05, 02:12   Link #48
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
There's no point in flipping the male/female dynamic to begin with other than shitposting, which is why it kinda seems like an incel writing it. Its not really representative of otome games and just gives Leon something to bitch about. The whole setting is a shitpost so I generally let it slide but its still a bit questionable to me. Genderswapped Rance or something would have been more interesting...

That aside though I'm not sure what part of powered suits and airships make you think "medieval". It looks like your average RPG world from Final Fantasy or Kiseki or something.
(a) Men should marry before X years old or they won't be able to marry at all
(b) Men cannot inherit titles, they need to marry a woman
(c) Men have to accept their wives having paramours

All these things are clearly taken from older patriarchal society and then just gender-flipped.

By putting the main character in this society, the author is clearly showing how unfair and unreasonable it was to be a woman in a patriarchal society. So I don't understand why you think the author is an incel.

And yes, I'm aware it is exaggerated. That is how comedy works.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-05, 06:50   Link #49
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, let's see how I got my to observation.

- MC calls the female protagonist of the otome game "devious" and not in an endearing way.
- Complains with a twisted smile that the world of the game is far too convenient for women.
- Complains that the girls are excessively strong and have awful personalities.

Now, yes, looking at it again it's pretty clear that most of that was in the context of him being angry about having to play the game against his will for his blackmailing sister. But I think it's not that unreasonable to come away thinking there was a whiff of misogyny involved.

And, again, it's a moot point by the end of the episode.
- From a player point of view the MC will definitely come off as "devious" depending on how they are written, and he hated how she was written and judged her on that.

He judged a book by it's cover, that's a pretty normal thing that humans do, now that he gets to meet her as a person then maybe he will change his mind, because you know, people change.

(Funny how you don't see the irony in your words)

- Because IT IS way too convenient for women, just wait until you meet more of the women and learn about the privileges they get.

- In a matriarchal world where women have political clout and power and too much privilege, yes, he is right about that, you will see.

Sadly I can't go in depth because it would be spoilers, but Leon's personality is validated by how everyone else treats him and boy do some of those characters really test his patience.
Old 2022-04-05, 07:10   Link #50
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
By putting the main character in this society, the author is clearly showing how unfair and unreasonable it was to be a woman in a patriarchal society. So I don't understand why you think the author is an incel.
It doesn't play like satire considering the only real purpose it really serves is giving Leon something to bitch about and it contradicts the whole 'commoner girl goes to magic academy' premise the otoge was based on. From what I remember it becomes fairly irrelevant as the story progresses... something like a pesky matriarchy is obviously not going to stop our generic isekai MC from putting together a harem.
Quote:
And yes, I'm aware it is exaggerated. That is how comedy works.
Exaggerated or not it still punches down for no really good reason.
Old 2022-04-05, 07:37   Link #51
Tenzen12

Why is it "punching down"?
Old 2022-04-05, 08:13   Link #52
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Why is it "punching down"?
Because the gender flip is a shitpost.

Tangentially isekai really kind of suck when it comes to parody or satire because its almost inevitable they're going to become what they are parodying. The title barely even makes sense considering Leon already has his own airship with RPG protagonist power levels in episode 1.
Old 2022-04-05, 08:47   Link #53
maximilianjenus
[E]

you forget that this is a game with a plot, unlike other Isekai. so as long as plot wise he is a mob, the title is fine.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-05, 09:05   Link #54
Tenzen12

Anyway tittle make sense even if Mc became ultimate idol. Just because Mc isn't actual mob, doesn't mean mobs in universe don't have hard time.

Quote:
Because the gender flip is a shitpost.
I know what is "punching down", I also know what is "gender flip" and I am fairly confident I know what "is shitpost" too. Nonetheless I can't agree or disagree with you, because I have no idea what you mean by "it is punching down, because gender flip is shitpost"
Old 2022-04-05, 09:12   Link #55
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
you forget that this is a game with a plot, unlike other Isekai. so as long as plot wise he is a mob, the title is fine.
That's such a disingenuous argument I don't know where to start, but it would take getting into spoilers so I'll save it for a later episode. In the present though if he cared about the plot he probably wouldn't have stolen the MC's gunship. Doing shit like that has a tendency to make you the MC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Anyway tittle make sense even if Mc became ultimate idol. Just because Mc isn't actual mob, doesn't mean mobs in universe don't have hard time.
MC constantly refers to himself as a mob character though, regardless of the impact he makes in the world around him.
Old 2022-04-05, 10:54   Link #56
Lex79

Title so far is perfectly accurate. Protagonist is reincarnated as a mob character and in order to have agency over his own life he has to risk his life to find a spaceship he only know about because he played the game. If that doesn't count as being an hard world...
Old 2022-04-05, 11:04   Link #57
Twi

I'd say give it a few more episodes before anyone gets heated trying to defend it or explain anything. There's an obvious knowledge gap between people who have future knowledge and those who don't, along with the fact that not everyone will share the same opinion. Especially considering they are only adapting Volumes 1 - 3 at best when there are currently nine volumes out.

At least once more episodes are out we'll be able to see the extent of the changes and at least have less of an issue dancing around spoilers, because while some of the changes they've made so far are pretty harmless like exposition dumps they skipped, they've also changed some things that influence later stuff and showcases the personality of the MC.
Old 2022-04-05, 23:34   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
If we're talking titles, it is fine. This guy didn't just pop into this world, make a fortune, and cruise to easy street. He grew up being treated like he was very much a mob character. He spent years in that position. Life has absolutely been difficult and will likely remain that way. Converting the game knowledge, he had to go and grab something that he was extremely under-leveled for.

Likely that main character didn't grab that thing until further into the game and probably wasn't going there alone. He had to take an extremely hard route to avoid not only being a mob character, but a dead one. And even then all the riches in the world simply gives him the right to go to school...to try and find someone to marry. Definitely not easy mode.
Old 2022-04-06, 01:40   Link #59
Tenzen12

He may have easy mode from now, but we will see.
Old 2022-04-06, 07:48   Link #60
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Definitely not easy mode.
I'm assuming you've seen at least some mecha considering your Macross avatar; generally the power fantasy doesn't start until the nobody MC somehow finds themselves in the cockpit and realizes they're the greatest pilot in the universe somehow... or at least the one with the most potential. Someone I knew around here years back called it the "instant mecha pilot".

Its kind of pointless to keep this discussion going though because its not appropriate to get into spoilers. If you want to hit me up again maybe do it after 3 or so more episodes. Tangentially though regardless of the shitpost setting there may not be very much mecha anymore but there has been a decent amount of shoujo leaning mecha... Macross obviously as well as stuff like Kuromukuro.

Tags
harem