AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2010-02-13, 21:51   Link #221
babohtea

I guess this is a little bit off topic, but I think Touma's ability might as well be Deus Ex Machina for all we know about it. I mean, it's served that purpose quite well.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 05:25   Link #222
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
I guess this is a little bit off topic, but I think Touma's ability might as well be Deus Ex Machina for all we know about it. I mean, it's served that purpose quite well.
I don't think so. It's not just something brought out of nowhere to resolve the plot, there and then. for one thing it was introduced right at the start. And you can see how it's affected Touma's life. Remember that switching looks episode in Majutsu? It all happened completely by coincidence. Now think about it. What's the most unluckiest thing for a guy whose going to meet his parents after getting amnesia and is dying to know what they look like? And it explains Touma's preachiness. It's makes for amusing comedy too. It doesn't challenge my suspension of disbelief in the slightest. fir me it's too well intregrated in Touma's life to seem a cop out at convenient times. Yeah sure there are Did Not Do His Research parts but I've never really thought Majutsu was going to be all that accurate with the science anyway so I didn't care much.

I haven't read the novels though. I had assumed it became more of an issue later. Doesn't it?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 10:53   Link #223
babohtea

Generally, the novel raises more questions than it answers about Touma's ability. Any "rules" we really have about Touma's ability are just speculation from observation.
Old 2010-02-14, 13:24   Link #224
Miraluka
Banned

Spoiler for This post should be in the novels thread I don't know why you, babohtea posted here instead the other thread:

Last edited by Miraluka; 2010-02-14 at 13:35.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 15:06   Link #225
babohtea

Sorry for off-topic. There was a little anecdote about Touma and I got a little carried away.

On topic then:
Omake chapter still said Saten and Uiharu would have their powers revealed. They're especially hinting at Uiharu's in the anime too. Still waiting though.
Old 2010-02-14, 19:50   Link #226
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
On topic then:
Omake chapter still said Saten and Uiharu would have their powers revealed. They're especially hinting at Uiharu's in the anime too. Still waiting though.
The omake was released before the episode where Saten showed her "power" together with her friends so only Uiharu is left.
Old 2010-02-14, 21:29   Link #227
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Off topic, but for the last time, promise.

Quote:
Guys, 'Deus Ex Machina' literally means 'machine of God' right? And given the nature of his powers, I don't think we should expect any less.

Quote:
Generally, the novel raises more questions than it answers about Touma's ability. Any "rules" we really have about Touma's ability are just speculation from observation.
1. It cannot destroy Life energy.

2. It can protect the rest of his body from certain passive or weak spells/skills, but not the more direct ones.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 21:45   Link #228
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Guys, 'Deus Ex Machina' literally means 'machine of God' right? And given the nature of his powers, I don't think we should expect any less.
Literal translation = "god from the machine"
real meaning in literature or stories: "plot device that comes out of nowhere". Basically, something that moves the plot along basically because the author wanted it to move.

A previously unsolvable, extremely difficult, or intricate problem is suddenly solved with the introduction of a new character, object, or object. Used all the time by popular shounen series (think bleach/naruto: ultimate bad guy suddenly defeated by main character's newly learned ability!) or video games (this is more forgivable though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
The omake was released before the episode where Saten showed her "power" together with her friends so only Uiharu is left.
The omake was also released after the chapter in which said events happened in the manga, so maybe the omake was referring to revealing her powers more? You might be right though.
Old 2010-02-15, 03:33   Link #229
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
No what I meant was that is it affecting the plot more? i mean, in Majutsu it was mostly about Touma saving other people but does his Imagine Breaker get more recognition from other characters and does he become the target more often because of it? Because that's the feeling i got after watching episode 18 of Majutsu.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 15:24   Link #230
Miraluka
Banned

..... =_=;.....
"Deus ex machina" means "God is machine"
Old 2010-02-15, 19:22   Link #231
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
..... =_=;.....
"Deus ex machina" means "God is machine"
That's not how we use it when referring to literature o_o. That's just the literal latin translation.

See here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../DeusExMachina

Essentially, they leave so much unanswered about Touma's ability a part of it can suddenly be "revealed" to solve the impossible.

Let's go back to Saten. Deus Ex Machina should be pretty easy to understand through the link. If anyone else wants to talk about Deus Ex Machina you can message me.

Last edited by babohtea; 2010-02-15 at 19:33. Reason: included a link
Old 2010-02-22, 00:42   Link #232
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Found this, but...

http://wakarimasenlol.com/2010/02/15...olds-biri-biri

Oi, oi, the main heroine...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 12:14   Link #233
tsunade666

guys I think theirs a thread for touma so why discuss him in saten's thread? even its just the spurt of curiousness that happen to be when your on saten's thread.

I think that are just stickers. It cost less then figma and nendo and other stuff that eats the day light out of my wallet.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 20:13   Link #234
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
guys I think theirs a thread for touma so why discuss him in saten's thread? even its just the spurt of curiousness that happen to be when your on saten's thread.

I think that are just stickers. It cost less then figma and nendo and other stuff that eats the day light out of my wallet.
As I understand it Saten only had one print and Mikoto three different ones so its not totally a surprise Saten sold out first.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 20:57   Link #235
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Rukio is my favorite characteeeeeeer

Reminds me a bit of tsuruya
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 16:19   Link #236
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I love Saten! I'd like the pairing Touma x Saten! Sad they never met each others though.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 16:25   Link #237
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
I love Saten! I'd like the pairing Touma x Saten! Sad they never met each others though.
yare yare
Old 2010-03-19, 17:52   Link #238
Seihai
スマイリウム

Don't put her together with another Level 0! Especially Toma... it'll equal to a "00" team that can defeat all Level 5 together.
Old 2010-03-19, 18:12   Link #239
tsunade666

if saten and touma pairing is possible then I'll be seiing saten hitting home run here and their using touma's head.

one name maebara keichi

such misfortune!!!!!!!!
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 20:08   Link #240
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Level 00... From saiyaku to saikyo?

Tags
characters