AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-07-08, 21:59   Link #1
Tommy
Mr. Prince

GrimGrimoire

Kinda weird with how much love Odin Spheres getting that no ones talking about this game which was also made by Vannilaware and published by NIS.

The artwork is pretty good in the cutscenes, not quite as amazing as Odin Sphere but still great. The in game graphics are kinda meh though, especially with the repetitive backgrounds. The english VA is good enough to listen to, much like Odin Sphere I haven't had any desire to switch to Japanese.

The gameplay itself is rather interesting it's a 2D sidescrolling RTS game. Not much like it. So far it's been pretty fun but their has been some annoyances, Like not being able to select all units, you can only select one kind of character at a time.

The Story has been pretty interesting so far as well it's kinda like Harry Potter I suppose, I've never seen or read Harry Potter but I know he goes to a magic academy like our main character in this game.

Shot at 2007-07-12

Last edited by Tommy; 2007-07-12 at 21:28.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 22:10   Link #2
Tommy
Mr. Prince

A couple of screens and wall papers.

In game.

Shot at 2007-07-12

Spoiler for wallpapers:
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 16:33   Link #3
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
I really want to play the game too, but I don't have a gaming system . The videos for the animated days are on YouTube though .

Fanfiction.net page for GrimGrimoire!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 23:38   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Looks cute, great outfits ... but yeah, I really don't do gaming console systems much.
Old 2010-12-02, 01:31   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I have it... but still in shrinkwrap (Same goes for Odin Sphere btw)

Really though... if you want to play it you're not going to get around buying a PS2. Including the game itself that shouldn't be such a big expense these days... you can probably get PS2+game+memory card for less than $150 (or even cheaper if you get a used PS2).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 02:26   Link #6
jedinat

I like what I saw of the story portion of the game (okay I only picked it up in the first place because I read about the yuri, lol) but the gameplay is so utterly boring that I didn't get many chapters into it. If anyone is interested, the game works quite perfectly on the PC...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 03:46   Link #7
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I have it... but still in shrinkwrap (Same goes for Odin Sphere btw)

Really though... if you want to play it you're not going to get around buying a PS2. Including the game itself that shouldn't be such a big expense these days... you can probably get PS2+game+memory card for less than $150 (or even cheaper if you get a used PS2).
you should smack yourself for not playing Odin Sphere by now
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 03:49   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Odin Sphere is easily in my top 05 list of best games i've ever played, so to hear that GHDpro still has it shrinkwrapped makes me .

GrimGrimoire is also a great game. The story is pretty damn interesting and always has you make wanted more, plus the gameplay can make for hours of fun. Especially when it comes to replaying the game on a harder difficulty.
Old 2010-12-02, 23:52   Link #9
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Personally I preferred the characters of GrimGrimoire to Odin Sphere's; I think the small-scale, "closed environment" of the story allowed them to develop better, while the epic scale of Odin Sphere's story maintains some narrative distance between characters and player. That said, they're both so generally awesome for story and characters that it's like deciding whether you'd rather have someone give you $1,000,000 or $1,000,007.

On the other hand, I preferred Odin Sphere's gameplay--I'm not an RTS player, so while GG was fun, it was well outside my comfort zone.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 00:11   Link #10
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Personally I preferred the characters of GrimGrimoire to Odin Sphere's; I think the small-scale, "closed environment" of the story allowed them to develop better, while the epic scale of Odin Sphere's story maintains some narrative distance between characters and player. That said, they're both so generally awesome for story and characters that it's like deciding whether you'd rather have someone give you $1,000,000 or $1,000,007.

On the other hand, I preferred Odin Sphere's gameplay--I'm not an RTS player, so while GG was fun, it was well outside my comfort zone.
I agree with all of the above except for the last small paragraph! I'm an RTS fan (not necessarily by choice, but I still love the genre), so GrimGrimoire was an awesome game in that respect. Especially when you get to later battles when you can improve your Runes to the max to make your units stronger! RTS also teaches the player about resource management, so I tend to favor it somewhat because of this.
Old 2010-12-03, 04:42   Link #11
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

Quote:

Then play Muramasa, a character driven story with an altered version of Odin Sphereīs gameplay. You know the other Vanillaware game

/Muramasa promoting

I actually expected GrimGrimoire to be an average game at best and was actually impressed that it had excellent graphics, a good storlyine (Goddman it Lujei, goddamnt it1) and a fun gameplay. And i only hate one thing of it. The mission where you can only use Alchemy... hahahaha... haha...ha...ha... *sigh*

1 Having played Soul Nomad & Phantom Brave makes me really love and hate Lujei
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 14:59   Link #12
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
I actually expected GrimGrimoire to be an average game at best and was actually impressed that it had excellent graphics, a good storlyine (Goddman it Lujei, goddamnt it1) and a fun gameplay. And i only hate one thing of it. The mission where you can only use Alchemy... hahahaha... haha...ha...ha... *sigh*

1 Having played Soul Nomad & Phantom Brave makes me really love and hate Lujei
But... but... but... that's what made the whole thing fun! It was the restriction of having access only to Alchemy that made the entire thing challenging!
Yes, I like taking on challenges like that. It's almost as if it was a dare, as if the game was saying "are you good enough to beat this?"

Oh, speaking of Lujei and Soul Nomad & Phantom Brave, ever since I found out that she was in there (SN & PB), I've wondered if that's the world were Lujei ran off to after the Epilogue? Would make sense.
Old 2010-12-03, 18:03   Link #13
Laith
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
But... but... but... that's what made the whole thing fun! It was the restriction of having access only to Alchemy that made the entire thing challenging!
Yes, I like taking on challenges like that. It's almost as if it was a dare, as if the game was saying "are you good enough to beat this?"
I didnīt mind the stage per se, but the last 5 minutes were freaking hell. I mean it is perfectly fair to defend against it and the units you have are not pushovers and then

Spoiler for ...:

Quote:
Oh, speaking of Lujei and Soul Nomad & Phantom Brave, ever since I found out that she was in there (SN & PB), I've wondered if that's the world were Lujei ran off to after the Epilogue? Would make sense.
First PB and SN are separate worlds/universes whatever. Lujei ended up in Soul Nomad but and let me spoil this

Spoiler for Phantom Brave:

Spoiler for Soul Nomad:

...God damn you Lujei can you avoid being an evil sorceress and just be a yandere crazy awesome sorceress.
Old 2010-12-04, 00:40   Link #14
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
I didnīt mind the stage per se, but the last 5 minutes were freaking hell. I mean it is perfectly fair to defend against it and the units you have are not pushovers and then

Spoiler for ...:
Spoiler for Gameplay chatter:

Quote:
...God damn you Lujei can you avoid being an evil sorceress and just be a yandere crazy awesome sorceress.
The funny thing is, I watched that Soul Nomad scene on Youtube and, well, I actually think she's more "evil" in GrimGrimoire (as opposed to "totally guano crazy"). If nothing else, it's because she's not quite all there in SN, so things like how she screwed with Phantom Brave seem to be more because she was just having fun being crazy instead of actively doing nasty things. Though on the other hand, it at least gave her skull on a stick a name!

Lujei...outright Chaotic Evil or just Chaotic Neutral with evil tendencies?
Old 2010-12-04, 01:57   Link #15
Laith
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for Gameplay chatter:
Spoiler for Actually:

Quote:
The funny thing is, I watched that Soul Nomad scene on Youtube and, well, I actually think she's more "evil" in GrimGrimoire (as opposed to "totally guano crazy"). If nothing else, it's because she's not quite all there in SN, so things like how she screwed with Phantom Brave seem to be more because she was just having fun being crazy instead of actively doing nasty things. Though on the other hand, it at least gave her skull on a stick a name!

Lujei...outright Chaotic Evil or just Chaotic Neutral with evil tendencies?
Considering that she is not evil per se, more like out of touch with reality by really really far i will say that she is Chaotic Mad and leave it like that. Though the fact that she is Yandere makes me love her

Now, let me love you like I used to~~ *Shudders*
Old 2010-12-27, 22:29   Link #16
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
I have a slightly more philosophical question about the storyline .

Spoiler for Spoiler for those who haven't played the game:

I touched on the idea in a fanfic of mine Dark Room, but I never really got around to answering the question myself, so I thought I'd ask here .

So, any thoughts from people?
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 01:22   Link #17
Laith
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
I have a slightly more philosophical question about the storyline .
And I may not have a clear answer for it, but I can try.

Quote:
Spoiler for Spoiler for those who haven't played the game:
Spoiler for Existential Answer:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for More Answer(s):

Quote:
I touched on the idea in a fanfic of mine Dark Room, but I never really got around to answering the question myself, so I thought I'd ask here .
Hey reading material, will read that later.

Quote:
So, any thoughts from people?
Itīs a good thing is not a Stable Time Loop or it would be more confusing.
Old 2011-03-04, 21:19   Link #18
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Character alignments revisited...

This is what happens when I think too much...and take showers...and start replaying the game...

Anyway, I was running through the whole quirky lot of 'em in my head last night, and came up with the following ideas for everybody's alignment:

Spoiler for Discussion contains spoilers in looking at plot points:
Old 2011-03-04, 23:14   Link #19
Laith
*Author

Character alignment? Such fun.

My Alignment discussion may be different to the norm. Shin Megami Tensei games tend to make you lose perception of normal alignments.

Spoiler for 'ere we go, 'ere we go.:
Old 2011-03-05, 01:18   Link #20
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
My Alignment discussion may be different to the norm. Shin Megami Tensei games tend to make you lose perception of normal alignments.

Spoiler for Still spoilery!: