AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-22, 10:13   Link #3581
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh yay, so some starchild, which is just another character in the series and thus can be wrong making him the worst of Bioware's mouthpieces, says that and it's word of god? Even though, again, rannoch already proves him wrong? And they even give us the control ending to tell the reapers to piss off?

There's rational dislike, and then there's mindless rage, and I think you crossed that line long ago.
Uh not really.

Your forgetting that the Starchild is very old so logically speaking he has eons upon eons of evidence that points towards it.

Plus, as the Levaithans who are pretty much the apex in organic species noted, whenever their subjects created synthetics, no matter what, the synthetics ended up destroying them. Then you add in Javik and his experiences.

So yes regardless of what we see in Rannoch, Bioware has more or less established that there will always be conflict between organics and synthetics.

It's a shame because Shepard could've used the quarian vs. geth thing to show otherwise but they didn't bother with it at all. To Bioware, it would only be a matter of time before conflict erupted between the two (I mean Tali notes how the Geth were uploading into their suits....doesn't that sound familiar to what happened in Javik's era?)

Quote:
That still leaves us stuck with the details. Are the reapers playing watchdog/big brother? What's the political climate? Are the geth dead? Are the quarrian dead? Are the last of the krogan out for human blood or sitting on a rebuild empire?

I'm not saying Bioware can't make a sequel, I'm saying that if Bioware chooses to do so, they're going to have to start making choices about which parts of the Mass Effect games are canon. A prequel or a game that takes place in the ME1 and 2 timeframe (which is several years, mind you) is a lot less troublesome, since the events there are a lot easier to deal with or outright ignore.
They could easily send the Reapers into dark space just to keep an eye on things from afar and out of the affairs of the galaxy. I mean they could easiliy do that hundreds of years later when Reapers become a myth as they are no longer seen.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 18:33   Link #3582
Key Board
Carbon

There will always be conflict between synthetics and organics, for the same reason there will always be conflict between organics and other organics. Different ideology. Different interests. Expect conflict. So Starchild is right about that part.

The point is whether they can resolve it or not.

And this is where Starchild shows he a crazy and defective.

Starchild believes that the conflict can never be resolved, and organics will always lose.

So his solution was essentially to kill all organics before they are killed by synthetics and archive them in Reaper form.... what?

And during the process, Reapers go out of their way to be as horrific and traumatizing as possible.

It's clear where his bias lies. Remember that he's more advanced than an AI.
And once you get into that level of individuality, you develop prejudices and preconceived notions
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 09:29   Link #3583
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 09:32   Link #3584
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ my response to that is at 1:30

Old 2012-11-07, 02:13   Link #3585
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
The Turian lady's name is Nyreen and she joins you as a squadmate on the Omega DLC. Probably just as a temp squadmate. Aria is also a squadmate for the duration of the DLC, so no bringing Garrus or Tali (or anyone else) with you on the DLC.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 04:46   Link #3586
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

... they're making an official comic on THE BEST SPECTRE EVER

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 19:41   Link #3587
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
10/10

Would definitely bang.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 23:19   Link #3588
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Leviathan DLC basically states outright that the blue god kid (and the Reapers by extension) are functionally insane because they're trying to solve a problem within the scope of their programming, using methods that go against their programming, while attempting to stay within the limits of their programming.

It's a very Asimov-alike twist. Reminds me heavily of I, Robot, and the Cogito-infected AutoReivs from Ergo Proxy.

So no, Bioware does NOT say that synthetics and organics are always doomed to kill each other. The Reapers say that, while doing exactly that. They are an extant embodiment of a paradox. This also makes the Control ending probably the best possible ending, because Shepard (who is clearly not insane) takes the place of the paradoxically-insane Catalyst as the governing intelligence of the Reapers.

Edit: Really like the look of the female Turian. She doesn't even have any trace of what humans would refer to as feminine traits, so Bioware did a good job avoiding anthropomorphizing her. Unless she has boobs. That would be almost as dumb as female Argonians in the Elder Scrolls.
Old 2012-11-08, 00:26   Link #3589
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
boobs

She would have been perfect without them. Oh well.
Old 2012-11-08, 07:56   Link #3590
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post

She would have been perfect without them. Oh well.
I see bumps, not boobs and that could easily be the outfit.

I just want some garrus and her dialog and her be the Turian he shows his reach on. XD

Better job they did on her than Tali =\ Fuck you bioware.
Old 2012-11-08, 22:40   Link #3591
killer3000ad

Someone's gone and made a happy ending mod http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/14795358/1
Old 2012-11-08, 23:32   Link #3592
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Someone's gone and made a happy ending mod http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/14795358/1
Well good on him for putting that together. Of course I'd have to re-install ME3 to check it out, so will just have to be satisfied in principal.
Old 2012-11-09, 00:05   Link #3593
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Took longer than I thought it would.
Old 2012-11-09, 00:43   Link #3594
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Ok this might actually give me the motivation to play Mass Effect again.
Old 2012-11-09, 06:05   Link #3595
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Nice... but the only thing I don't like was Hackett's lines being replaced by Joker, Joker's extended rescue scene and Shepard surviving.

Yes, I know I played him for 3 games and he deserves a happy ending... but somehow I totaly like his (seemingly) sacrifice in the end.

Oh, and no EDI in the end.

But yay for no Star Child!

@FlareKnight: Or you just watch the YouTube videos instead.
Old 2012-11-09, 15:33   Link #3596
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Nice... but the only thing I don't like was Hackett's lines being replaced by Joker, Joker's extended rescue scene and Shepard surviving.

Yes, I know I played him for 3 games and he deserves a happy ending... but somehow I totaly like his (seemingly) sacrifice in the end.

Oh, and no EDI in the end.

But yay for no Star Child!

@FlareKnight: Or you just watch the YouTube videos instead.
Shhh, I said there were two options and that's how it is .
Old 2012-11-09, 17:45   Link #3597
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
I watched the video version, it was decent but not really something I would install into the game. I actually didn't mind that Shepard dies in the end of the original version, I found it to be a noble sacrifice. Only problem I had was how it was handled, not to mention the involvement of the god child which makes it look a cop out for not being more creative....
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 21:24   Link #3598
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I agree, that even the Extended Cut ending is mostly fine, just the deus ex machina kid should have simply been replaced with a less jarring representation of the Reapers' collective intelligence. The Leviathan DLC actually makes the EC ending make a lot more sense, since the Reapers themselves are essentially a Logic Bombed AI that's gone completely whacky, so their whole "organics vs. synthetics" thing is a symptom of their insanity.

Leviathan's story plus the EC endings (specifically Control) basically saved ME3 for me. Synthesis is still stupid space magic, and Destroy is still nonsensical, but at least Control is a satisfying ending with the Leviathan plot points added, since the Reapers are repurposed, Shepard's mind replacing the insane Catalyst and having them serve a better purpose (either one of collective understanding of life as a Paragon Shepard, or one of ruthless defense of life as a Renegade Shepard).
Old 2012-11-26, 17:32   Link #3599
Snuffle
likes cute things

Apparently... The Omega DLC is tomorrow. I wasn't even following when it would be released so it kinda snuck up on me. But I'm surprised it's being released so soon, I was expecting it to be in mid December. But anyways, a trailer.

http://youtu.be/28UgSPUkAss

In an interview (from another video) it was stated that your usual squad mates won't be selectable, only Aria and a female Turian are usable during the entire DLC. Also, the DLC is approximated to be 4 hours long, but I guess that's depends if you know where you're going and know what to expect from battles.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 18:52   Link #3600
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Wow saw that kiss coming, but anyway the female turian is a bad ass, i REALLLLLY want to see her and garrus interact.

Tags
effect, games, mass