AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-29, 23:13   Link #2161
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Flaming yuriliciousness aside, I have to say it's Marika's negotiation with Jenny and Show that's really compelling. In a way, it kind of defines the series as a whole; the series may be named after piracy, but it really is all about politics, negotiations, business. I've never seen the show, but I'd say it's kind of like Working! In Space.

The other thing I noticed was how the cosplay raid from the last episode made the news. Wow, even if it's a rare occurence for a pirate raid, must have been a slow news day in the Empire.

Well it's obvious, isn't it? Captain Marika and her merry band of the Bentenmaru are going to join the race in the Grand Line, in search of the legendary treasure One Piece.

:3
Marika is basically Shanks with a mini-skirt and a right-arm.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 00:07   Link #2162
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
From 2ch spoiler thread. The poster said the Episode titles' source was Nyantype, without naming the staffs involved.

Spoiler for Ep 19 - 21 and other info:
Hmm, so Vol 3 may not ends with Episode 18? Or is Ep 19 is the start of the original contents ?

Nebula Cup? Grand Race?
Could be misleading. Next ep is about "having juice after a party" which is totally different from what's obviously going to happen. They seriously want to use that for their climax episode?

If not, at least I have an excuse to play this over the racing scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcyyW6MkKP0
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 01:03   Link #2163
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I've never seen the show, but I'd say it's kind of like Working! In Space.
Hm, what? No.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 06:42   Link #2164
Random Wanderer

Quote:
I've never seen the show, but I'd say it's kind of like Working! In Space.
"I don't watch sports, but I'd say rugby's kind of like golf."
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 09:24   Link #2165
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

As a sidenote, anyone else named Jenny's starfighter, the Delta Flyer?
Old 2012-04-30, 21:53   Link #2166
Kyuu
=^^=

Finally getting around to this episode.

So, essentially, these big businesses function (or try to) function as "monarchies" amongst themselves.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 21:58   Link #2167
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well to be fair, huge companies do that to some extent already. The name Rockefeller ring any bells?
Old 2012-04-30, 21:59   Link #2168
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well to be fair, huge companies do that to some extent already. The name Rockefeller ring any bells?
Oh, of course. Of course. Plus, they live their fantasy worlds of being defacto governments - as opposed to, the official governments. But, the expanse of space: it's several times the magnitude of what we're dealing with today.

EDIT: As Captain --- Marika has the right and privilege to preside over Jenny and Lynn's marriage.

XD

===

EDIT: And more...

Comparing

10% of 50 trillion per year == Half of Serenity's annual budget. This is in comparison with Jenny's projected revenue with her start up travel company. This means...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-04-30 at 22:23.
Old 2012-04-30, 22:32   Link #2169
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
EDIT: And more...

Comparing

10% of 50 trillion per year == Half of Serenity's annual budget. This is in comparison with Jenny's projected revenue with her start up travel company. This means...

Spoiler:
I do believe someone did mention that Serenity wasn't exactly the richest system in the galaxy. Of course Grunhilde did say that was 1/2 the royal palace's annual budget, not Serenity as a whole.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 22:56   Link #2170
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

Spoiler:
I thought it was half the budget of Serenity's royal palace?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 23:47   Link #2171
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I do believe someone did mention that Serenity wasn't exactly the richest system in the galaxy. Of course Grunhilde did say that was 1/2 the royal palace's annual budget, not Serenity as a whole.
Well, the British Royal Budget is only a small faction of the British National Annual Budget after all....

Assuming that Serenity is a Constitutional Monarchy, then the Royal Palace Annual Budget is probably not synonymous with the Planetary, let alone State-wide National Budget.

The question is, what's the buying power of One Unit of Money? How much does Chiaki's Parafiats Cost? 100? 200? 1? 2.50?

For comparisons, the British Royal Budget was 38.2 million Pounds in 2009-2010.

So, the Serenity's Royal Palace Budget is likely larger, after adjusted in real terms than the British Royal budget, even if we assumed 100 Units of Money roughly equals a Single Pound/Dollar/Euro, even after adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity.

Speaking of which, I wonder how many Imperial Central Bankers there are, and what are the consequences for failing their mandates.

Now, if the Royal Palace Budget is the entire Government Budget, that's a different story.

Granted, 80 Million Pounds of Profit for a One Year Old Start up seems improbable, but it's possible that Jenny is starting from a rather well established base here.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 07:33   Link #2172
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post

As a sidenote, anyone else named Jenny's starfighter, the Delta Flyer?
Unlike the Delta Flyer, the girls didn't create the small runabout type vessel.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 07:55   Link #2173
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I thought it was half the budget of Serenity's royal palace?
Or whatever. The point is: you got the revenue of a country being measured with that of a corporation.

Quite frankly, we have real life examples of that today... where you can take it further. Say... like Bill Gates. His annual income is worth more than some countries.

As much as many others paid more attention to the yuri -- I'm paying more attention to a bigger picture here: the power of corporations vs governments. And right now, as shown with this Doolittle company... you have a company with a fleet of ships, as if it is some police/military force.

To that, I think: "WTF!"
Old 2012-05-01, 08:00   Link #2174
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
So, the Serenity's Royal Palace Budget is likely larger, after adjusted in real terms than the British Royal budget, even if we assumed 100 Units of Money roughly equals a Single Pound/Dollar/Euro, even after adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity.
Don't you mean Purchasing Parfait Parity?
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 08:17   Link #2175
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Don't you mean Purchasing Parfait Parity?
I think that should be a meme
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 08:31   Link #2176
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Or whatever. The point is: you got the revenue of a country being measured with that of a corporation.
Of a government-operated building. Today, the equivalent is counted in millions. I'm not saying it's nothing, but a company that makes millions in profit isn't that impressive. Not compared to the billionaires out there.

Quote:
Quite frankly, we have real life examples of that today... where you can take it further. Say... like Bill Gates. His annual income is worth more than some countries.
Yes, because some countries are very poor.

Quote:
As much as many others paid more attention to the yuri -- I'm paying more attention to a bigger picture here: the power of corporations vs governments. And right now, as shown with this Doolittle company... you have a company with a fleet of ships, as if it is some police/military force.

Yes, that. That's what should be worrying.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 08:38   Link #2177
Kyuu
=^^=

And what kind of business Doolittle does again? Package delivery?

Time to stamp out the competition.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:09   Link #2178
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^
Sorry Mom. Your time as corporate ruler of the galaxy has ended. The time of Jenny Dolittle has come!
Old 2012-05-01, 10:16   Link #2179
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, that. That's what should be worrying.
Evidently, gentlemen, you have not heard of the East India Company. Formed in 1600, it lasted until 1874, and was the de facto ruler of India until the Crown took a more personal interest in the subcontinent, and maintained its own army and navy, as well as arranging for Letters of Marque for its armed merchantmen.

Again, it reminds me very strongly of EVE Online, where corporations are so powerful they have large fleets.

Also, Meister Babylon? Your idea you mentioned a while back - merchant shipping with disguised weapons to fend off pirates - has been used a fair bit in history; good ideas are the kind that will occur over and over again. The accepted terminology in this modern age is Q-ship.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 10:19   Link #2180
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Evidently, gentlemen, you have not heard of the East India Company.
I'm too busy bitching about today's corporations to remember some now-irrelevant British company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist
The time of Jenny Dolittle has come!
Not if Planet Express has something to say about it!

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri