AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-11-04, 21:11   Link #41
TrueKnight

The game is getting decent reviews as can be seen here,

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/942165.asp

Unfortunately I can only get this game at end month because I’m leaning more towards the Last Remnant and probably Gears 2. My wallet is already thin as it is because of Fable 2 and Little Big Planet, which I enjoyed both big times.

But again, so far this game looks gold, agh. Maybe I’ll purchase this and leave Last Remnant next month instead. Dunno.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 21:27   Link #42
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I'm so tight for money i have to buy Mirrors Edge next week
Old 2008-11-04, 21:29   Link #43
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
I'm so tight for money i have to buy Mirrors Edge next week
Thats another game I've had my eye on, but I preordered Valkryia so I must get it.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 21:38   Link #44
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

And i have to get Valkryia and McCain

EDIT: WTF i meant R2 :P
Old 2008-11-04, 22:52   Link #45
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
And i have to get Valkryia and McCain

EDIT: WTF i meant R2 :P
"Speechless"

yeah tomorrow gotta go pick it up~~ wewt~~
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 00:51   Link #46
Vikitehwaffu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Now that I'm done with the 2nd DLC, here's a brife writeup of it :-

The DLC place us in the midst of Selberia's invasion and defense of Ghirlandio (so we have 2 battles this time round) and is narrated by a faceless imperial supply grunt named Carl handpick by Selberia to be her runner, so we get to see his view of the war and what he thinks of Selberia.

The map reuse the exterior and interior of Ghirlandio from the game, except certain places are barricaded. Selberia is officially the strongest scout unit in the game here even without the effects of Orders, she has over 600 HP and her Ruhm can take a tank down with just 6 shots at the engine.(Ruhm fire 20 shots per attack/turn) But she don't carry healing Ragnite and Grenades, (for good reasons too) that's why she needs a supply runner.

After the first sortie, we see the feminine tender motherly side of Selberia.(Surprise, surprise) And She can blush despite that cool manly exterior she has shown in the main game.

2nd part of the DLC just mainly deal with Selberia being a Damsel in Distress after falling into a trap and it's up to our faceless Knight to rescue, after that it's a cakewalk.

As for Ruhm, that thing can only be wield by Assault Troopers. (Selbeira is an exception despite she being a Scout) and as expected, it possess extraordinary stats for an firearm. It's as deadly in the hands of a ordinary Assault Troop as in Selberia's hands.
Maybe it's just me being cynical about Japanese media and not having actually played it, but that sounds like Japan has a problem displaying strong female characters that aren't fragile on the inside.
Vikitehwaffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 07:05   Link #47
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikitehwaffu View Post
Maybe it's just me being cynical about Japanese media and not having actually played it, but that sounds like Japan has a problem displaying strong female characters that aren't fragile on the inside.
Try looking at all the James Bond Girls if you are convince that this aspect is only present in Japanese Storytelling Media.

and.....

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/04/...-west-in-2009/

Nothing too surprising here. What I do hope is that they will keep the Japanese audio tracks intact.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 07:58   Link #48
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
The game is getting decent reviews as can be seen here,

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/942165.asp
Decent? More like great reviews.

Plan on getting this game looks great.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 10:56   Link #49
TrueKnight

Alright, after some consideration I decide to get this, Fallout 3 (PS3) and Gears of Wars 2 (360) this weekend. Seeing how VC gets lots,and I mean lots of positive ratings/reviews for an anime styled J-SRPG, I just can't seem get this one through.

Woohoo! Empty pocket here I come!
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 11:15   Link #50
Vikitehwaffu

Quote:
Try looking at all the James Bond Girls if you are convince that this aspect is only present in Japanese Storytelling Media.

and.....

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/04/...-west-in-2009/

Nothing too surprising here. What I do hope is that they will keep the Japanese audio tracks intact.
Never said that Japan was the only one that does it. I still dislike it no matter what country does it.
Old 2008-11-05, 17:38   Link #51
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Initial report has it that Sega took out the intro song and had the players jump straight to the title menu for the English release. From the looks of things, things will be the same for the end title since both the Intro and ED are the same song.

What I'm really anticipating here is to see will Rosie sing for the English release (Her Seiyuu's Klan Klan in Macross F). So, err, some English Player's report please ?
Old 2008-11-06, 02:53   Link #52
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Initial report has it that Sega took out the intro song and had the players jump straight to the title menu for the English release.
That seems a silly decision, but does not detract from the game proper. Sega has, it seems, delivered; with extra credit for giving player the choice of language tracks and their stated intention (official blog entry) of bringing both DLC packs over early next year.
The soundtrack is good too; I made sure to purchase a copy thereof.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 07:40   Link #53
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
That seems a silly decision, but does not detract from the game proper.
It's a logical decision actually, since the song was a commercial release by an artist under Sony. Sega just want to avoid paying royalties to her since the game was an initial flop in Japan , and give it's style and presentation, they must have been unsure of the game's success overseas.

Quote:
Sega has, it seems, delivered; with extra credit for giving player the choice of language tracks and their stated intention (official blog entry) of bringing both DLC packs over early next year.
That announcement about the DLC.....I've posted that in one of my earlier post, actually. About the inclusion of Japanese Audio Track, Sega know their audience as well as their projected release date well enough. How are they going to survive aganist Goalith such as Fallout 3, Resistance 2 and LBP if they are going to take out the Japanese audios in favor for a full english release ?

They deserve additional credits only if they keep the Japanese Audio intact on top of the English dubs for both the stateside DLCs.

Quote:
The soundtrack is good too; I made sure to purchase a copy thereof.
It's by Hitoshi Sakimoto, famous for his works in FF Tactics and FF XII, so that's expected. I've not heard about the Soundtrack being release on iTunes yets, so you be best importing a hardcopy which includes the aforementioned removed J-pop Track.
Old 2008-11-07, 06:36   Link #54
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Whaddaya know !

The Episode with Selvaria actually has a 4th Mission where you control Selvaria in her Valkyria Mode. 800 Yen was not overprice afterall.

Anyone want a cap of that mission ? Could rip it from Nico and up it to Youtube now.
Old 2008-11-07, 12:22   Link #55
Vikitehwaffu

Quote:
Initial report has it that Sega took out the intro song and had the players jump straight to the title menu for the English release. From the looks of things, things will be the same for the end title since both the Intro and ED are the same song.

What I'm really anticipating here is to see will Rosie sing for the English release (Her Seiyuu's Klan Klan in Macross F). So, err, some English Player's report please ?
All I got is this short clip and she sings only like two verses at the 47 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXByhwsji4

So in Japan this game didn't do well?
Old 2008-11-07, 16:12   Link #56
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Whaddaya know !

The Episode with Selvaria actually has a 4th Mission where you control Selvaria in her Valkyria Mode. 800 Yen was not overprice afterall.

Anyone want a cap of that mission ? Could rip it from Nico and up it to Youtube now.
Wow thats sweet. I was under the impression that you couldn't control her in Valkyria Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikitehwaffu View Post
So in Japan this game didn't do well?
Nope. Apparently they didn't advertise it well so that probably contributed to it.
Old 2008-11-08, 07:34   Link #57
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Manage to spend sometime ripping Valkyria Selvaria in action from Nico today :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA2jBzy9P3U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTSvkPR9gqU

Apparently, you need to score S-Rank for all 3 stages in the DLC to unlock this secret mssion.
Old 2008-11-09, 01:03   Link #58
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Here is I think the entire song.

Warning there is huge spoilers in this video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sayT6O_urQ

On another note is it just me or does the Valkyria in the english OP animation near the end where it shows a close up of her face, it looks like Alicia?

To see what I mean refer to this video at around 1:54 into it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx8Mc8xZFC0

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-11-09 at 19:26.
Old 2008-11-09, 02:12   Link #59
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
To see what I mean refer to this video at around 1:54 into it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx8Mc8xZFC0
Though I have played the Japanese release, I shall not spoil things here by saying it's obvious that she is who you think she is.

And it's good to see this game has the highest rating amongst all the current-gen JRPGs on Metacritic, when compare with some other high profile titles in the same genre such as Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales Of Vesperia and Disgaea 3

Granted there are less than 30 reviews for VC due to low exposure, but still.....
Old 2008-11-09, 08:38   Link #60
Westlo
Lets be reality

Put in about 4 hours into this game and I'm up to Episode 6, love it. Sega need to base the next Shining Force SRPG on this Canvas engine.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote